Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 12th 2017, 09:07 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Wasting Light Seam split

I was just looking through my vinyls and noticed that both my copies of wasting light has a slight seam split at the top. Anyone else noticed this on their records. All my records have been stored in the same place and not been moved around. One of them is still even sealed.
Stockholm Stadion, Stockholm 062211

Ullevi, Gothenburg 061215

Old September 13th 2017, 12:20 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Default Re: Wasting Light Seam split

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nick Riviera View Post
I was just looking through my vinyls and noticed that both my copies of wasting light has a slight seam split at the top. Anyone else noticed this on their records. All my records have been stored in the same place and not been moved around. One of them is still even sealed.
Can happen in shipping or even in the factory. It doesn't take a lot and it's almost always cause by the actual vinyl getting thrown against the seam for some reason and acting as a cutting knife.

Many shippers will actually ship an LP outside the sleeve for just that reason - nothing worse than destroying a rare record's cover.

You would definitely have gotten them replaced by any normal online store -
but there's not much you can do noticing it now no though
Old September 13th 2017, 07:56 PM

Thats the problem. They were fine when i got them. And they havent been moved around. I was thinking about if i have stored them too dry or too humid?

Old September 13th 2017, 10:41 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Thats the problem. They were fine when i got them. And they havent been moved around. I was thinking about if i have stored them too dry or too humid?
AH wow - really - just happened by itself?! That's definitely a new one on me. If that's happened inside a sealed plastic covering that is incredibly odd, because in theory they can't really just dry out. And even then that doesnt cause cardboard to split. You'd be expecting them to have been dropped on edge (in a stack is easy to understand - I've held a group of LPs and had ones in the centre slide out before now - normally onto carpet).

The only damage I've ever seen happen by itself to cardboard LP sleeves was from silverfish when in storage.
Old September 14th 2017, 05:08 AM

Yeah that is strange. To the best of my knowledge they havent been moved for a about a year and the last time i checked on them the seamsplit wasnt there. No other records that it has been stored together has the seem split just the wasting light vinyls. Checked on the innersleeves of the opened one and no damage visible. Could it be an barely visible seamsplit that has gotten worse with time with surrondings making the cardboard dry out?

Old September 15th 2017, 03:30 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Yeah that is strange. To the best of my knowledge they havent been moved for a about a year and the last time i checked on them the seamsplit wasnt there. No other records that it has been stored together has the seem split just the wasting light vinyls. Checked on the innersleeves of the opened one and no damage visible. Could it be an barely visible seamsplit that has gotten worse with time with surrondings making the cardboard dry out?
Most edge seams arent even a glued seam at the edge like that any more, so its almost always constant rubbing in some way. I guess the actual material could have a defect and be really really thin at that edge point in that run, but still it seems like it would really need at least one incident of some kind to start the split...

How well do you really know your neighbours?
http://www.monkeysfightingrobots.com...FR-696x400.jpg