Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 5th 2019, 12:37 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Create and share your perfect Foo Fighters setlist

I'll Stick Around
Alone & Easy Target
Winnebago
Butterflies
For All The Cows
Stacked Actors
Generator
MIA
The Neverending Sigh
White limo
Let It Die
All My Life
Low
Halo
Lonely As You
Breakout
Wind Up
Enough Space
New Way Home
Everlong
This is a Call
Wattershed
Big Me
World
Exhausted

Please. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old August 6th 2019, 12:46 PM

In Your Honor
Run
Arrows
Long Road To Ruin
Floaty
Breakout
Arlandria
Disenchanted Lullaby
DOA
Monkey Wrench
The Pretender
I'll Stick Around
Hey, Johnny Park!
The Line
Cheer Up Boys (Your Make Up Is Running)
No Way Back
I Should Have Known
All My Life
Stacked Actors
Low
Best Of You

Walk
Aurora
MIA
Everlong

Many songs missed out... even for 30 songs would have struggled...
2014: House of Vans (11th September), Islington Assembly Hall (12th September), Invictus Games (14th September)
Wembley Stadium, 20th June 2015
o2 Arena, 19th September 2017
London Stadium, 22nd & 23rd June 2018
2019: Pula Arena (18th & 19th June), RDS Arena Dublin (21st August), Reading Festival (25th August)
Future: ... No One Knows
Old August 6th 2019, 03:59 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharris92 View Post

Many songs missed out... even for 30 songs would have struggled...
Yeah I was discussing this with matineeidyll, it does help put you in Dave's shoes and you realise just how hard it is to create a setlist by being limited to 25 songs, you've got to make some hard choices and sacrifices. But even then, you're just picking the songs to please yourself, Dave has to try and please everyone in the arena/stadium.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old August 6th 2019, 09:50 PM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Can't think of the order, I'll edit it.
Basically what I want to hear. I'll even let the b-sides slip.

Doll
T-shirt
Good Grief
My Poor Brain
Wind Up
Up in Arms
Enough Space

Oh, George
X-Static
Exhausted
Gimmie Stiches
Generator
Live-In Skin
Headwires
MIA
Low
Halo
Free Me
Resolve
On The Mend
The Pretender
Statues
A Matter of Time
Bridge Burning
Outside
Dirty Water
Arrows
The Line
Old August 7th 2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yeah I was discussing this with matineeidyll, it does help put you in Dave's shoes and you realise just how hard it is to create a setlist by being limited to 25 songs, you've got to make some hard choices and sacrifices. But even then, you're just picking the songs to please yourself, Dave has to try and please everyone in the arena/stadium.
Dave could help himself a little by dropping 5 covers and all the 10 minute extended versions of his songs.

They should cover a lot more songs by a band called Foo Fighters. They released some amazing stuff in the 90s.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old August 7th 2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I completely agree, there are a few hits missing from that list but not enough to alienate the 'casuals' and not too many deep cuts.
You can never please everyone all of the time, and I don't think there is such thing as a 'perfect setlist' - you can only get so far to being close enough to it and that's about it.

Maybe as I've seen suggested (can't remember where) they could do a few gigs under The Holy Shits and play those with deep cuts and a few less hits for the 'hardcore' fans. Not going to please everyone regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevthedrummer View Post
Dave could help himself a little by dropping 5 covers and all the 10 minute extended versions of his songs.

They should cover a lot more songs by a band called Foo Fighters. They released some amazing stuff in the 90s.
They could cut down a bit on the extended jams, or at lease remove a couple of them, but I think the problem is for the songs that they are attached to have become part and parcel.

Regardless, I don't expect much (if anything) to change, as why change a formula that works for the band?
2014: House of Vans (11th September), Islington Assembly Hall (12th September), Invictus Games (14th September)
2019: Pula Arena (18th & 19th June), RDS Arena Dublin (21st August), Reading Festival (25th August)
Old August 10th 2019, 12:25 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Chris' posts are really relevant on this - same old theme but shows it's not changed - they're still fighting with the same problems from years ago:

Chris Shiflett
‏Verified account @ChrisShiflett71
Jul 10
i hear and respect everyone on this thread wanting to hear more rarities, but let me pose a question - how come when we DO play 'em the energy level of the crowd goes to zero?? there'll be 10 people up front screaming and an arena full of people scratching their heads??

Chris Shiflett
Jul 10
when i first joined foos, it was a different setlist every night, which was a blast and kept ya on your toes, but those were different times at a much smaller level.

Chris Shiflett
Jul 10
on top of which, shows are expensive - tickets, baby sitter, parking, t-shirt, beers, etc... so i think there's a responsibility to make it a good time for everyone.

Chris Shiflett
Jul 10
i have to disagree - there are hardcore fans who would love more album tracks, b-sides, etc... and yes that would be fun, but the vast majority of people at gigs want to hear the songs they know.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
FooZ Set List:

01) This Is A Call (you simply have to start with this song - it's THE start)

02) Good Grief (because it's one of my fav songs ever - and I'm now even more hyped they did two in a row from the first album)

03) Doll (because it starts the love I have for the 2nd album and it's beautiful if short. I know I'm in for something super special here now)

04) Everlong (because I'm totally, UTTERLY not expecting they'd do it this early - let alone back to back on Doll, and together it's just strangely perfect. My head is kinda spinning now - it's a crazy thing to be 4 songs in and feeling like you should go home now

05) Times Like These (because it's time to have a faster track, time to have a guitar led track, one everyone knows, and one that is just pure Foo but with a message for right here, right now - and because fuck me this song is soo horrendously under rated)

06) Resolve (because it's quite simply the very best ballad / heart song I believe the band has ever done.

07) The Neverending Sigh (because this is the last song that signaled hard rock roots and I simply love the wholy fuck out of it)

08) Saint Cecilia (because the last thing I'm now expecting is another St C track - and the mothers play the title - smooth as hell, close to the catchiest fucking thing in Foo history, and reminding me every second they did it live and are now,, and that that is the entire reason it works so well

09) Run (it had to come - maybe the best FF lead out song ever - balanced hard soft and melody like a mutherf$%^^&#... run with it)

10) Baker Street (the best FF cover ever - so much talent in such a perfect version - so long ago and now live. For those that knew and know both - this is just pure heaven now, I have no idea what might beat this.

11) Have It All (the guitar run is pure mid-life foo, and it's got Dave half screaming in a balladesque style that truly sums up the band's mid life. And it's catchy as hell and even more underrated with a stellar finish that really feels more like the first album than almost anything else). I now have no fucking idea what to expect from this gig and I'm already almost dying.

12) Outside (SH masterpiece - and someone's played with the sound mic massively to get the guitars cross mixed to alternate quad channels like you always knew they should be. It's like a new world of Foo and I'm utterly lost... they could play this song for an hour and I'd never complain - but it stops and I swear loudly

13) Enough Space (Mother FUCKERS... BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE - you cunts this is insane)

14) Generator (Probably my favourite FF song ever... I'm now in utter heaven, and it's extended with some new live riffs)

15) But Honestly (the most underrated FF song ever - beautiful ballad that turns into close to the most ferocious thing the band ever recorded. At this point in the gig you just want to say I remember some of this I hope like fuck someone gets the rest)

16) The Line (Rocker from the start to the end that's become a CG fav with great power breakdown and super catchy chorus)

17) Exhausted (Iconic - the song nobody ever realised was the making of the FF - and here it now live - 100% grunge revisited)

18) X-Static (two in a row from 95! The slow ballad nobody raves about that is definitely one of the finest on the first album)

19) Wind Up (OK I'm seeing a pattern here now - we're moving forward with the harder shit - OMG this is cool...)

20) Breakout (here we go - ha ha haaaaaa...)

21) Low (yep we're all tired now, but oh oh god it's good)

22) Pretender (shit THEY must be getting tired now - winding up surely)

23) Sean (oh lord this is just nuts...)

24) White Limo (I cant feel my legs... OK they gave up too... thank god = no what the fuck am I thinking.... NOOOOO!!!

The band all leave the stage - only they don't, Dave comes straight back and says oh right motherfuckers like I need a break - I just went for water (waving a bottle). Those other fuckers need a rest... nah, we just need a few other songs that give them a rest right? dudes need a break...

ENCORE:

25) Miracle (Dave solo acoustic)
26) Friend Of A Friend (Dave solo acoustic)
27) My Hero (Dave solo acoustic)
28) Butterflies (Dave solo acoustic)

Band comes back on:
29) Monkey Wrench
30) The Sky Is A Neighborhood
31) I'll Stick Around
32) Aurora

I literally ran out of steam trying to comment on the last Encore tracks - but I have definitely lined them all up and run as listed in a playlist. I'd be very very happy with that.

Thanks Simon - what a fun thing to do - I never really felt I had to, and I'd likely change my mind tomorrow but hey, good for a lot of listening and really makes you think about what it is in all the stuff the band does that you like most.

I was there

Last edited by FooZealand : August 10th 2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old August 10th 2019, 12:48 PM
Everything fades in time it's true...

Great idea Simon!
I posted mine on the site a few days back.

In Your Honour
All My Life
Monkey Wrench
Hey, Johnny Park!
Arrows
Run
Enough Space
Sunday Rain
But Honestly
This Is A Call
Wattershed
No Way Back
Alone + Easy Target
DOA
Low
Breakout
February Stars
Next Year
Aurora
I Should Have Known
What Would I Do/God As My Witness
------------
White Limo
Savior Breath
I'll Stick Around
Everlong

I went for an old school encore, I do like a little rest near the end!
The O2 Arena 18-1-07
Wembley Stadium 6 & 7-8-08
Milton Keynes Bowl 3-7-11
Reading Festival 26-8-12
AccorHotels Arena 3-7-17
The O2 Arena 19-9-17
The Royal Albert Hall 21-9-17
Etihad Stadium 19-6-18
London Stadium 22 & 23-6-18
Pula Arena 18 & 19-6-19
Bellahouston Park 17-8-19
Vital Festival 19-8-19
RDS Arena 21-8-19
Leeds Festival 23-8-19
Reading Festival 25-8-19

Dave's Foo Flickr
Old August 12th 2019, 04:54 PM
The Sidekick

The results are in and it turns out that on the whole, most people want exactly what Foo Fighters currently give them. It's just that last 10/15% of the set that people want a little extra variety, with some songs having a strong shout for being in there more often.

https://www.foofighterslive.com/news...t-the-results/

If you just want to see the aggregate "perfect" setlist:

Spoiler!

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.

Last edited by Simon : August 12th 2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old August 13th 2019, 08:49 AM

Out of curiosity approximately how many people submitted a 'perfect setlist'?
Old August 13th 2019, 08:30 PM

Seems they did Hey, JP tonight so they might have paid attention to this..
Old August 14th 2019, 06:53 AM
Right down the drain I goÖ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
Hope itís a sign of things to come
Old August 14th 2019, 01:19 PM
Ready on your mark

Quote:
It'd be wonderful if that's what sparked the idea! The results showed, as Simon said, that we do love and enjoy the hits and how they construct the sets for us. There's a healthy amount of love for these other tracks, too, and we see room for them getting the play they deserve now and then, too. So if this is a response - with a much-loved track - it's a hopeful sign!
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Old August 14th 2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
It'd be wonderful if that's what sparked the idea! The results showed, as Simon said, that we do love and enjoy the hits and how they construct the sets for us. There's a healthy amount of love for these other tracks, too, and we see room for them getting the play they deserve now and then, too. So if this is a response - with a much-loved track - it's a hopeful sign!
It sure could be a great sign,

Now bring back the missing singles, DOA / No Way Back / Low (especially this) / Iíll Stick Around (it was a single wasnt it?) / Have It All etc...
Old August 16th 2019, 12:08 AM
The Boss

The irony of how close the aggregate amount is to the actual result is really, really funny to me, considering how much griping this topic gets.
Old August 16th 2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
The irony of how close the aggregate amount is to the actual result is really, really funny to me, considering how much griping this topic gets.
All ten of us who whine about it are a loud bunch!
Old August 18th 2019, 09:16 AM

WUT

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/foo-f...-639fda33.html

Stacked Actors as an opener?! Iíll Stick Around?! Hey JP!?

Makes me wanna see them again.
Old August 18th 2019, 12:12 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
All ten of us who whine about it are a loud bunch!

Keep it up boys! Hopefully this setlist will stay for R&L.
Etihad Stadium,Manchester 2018
Sportpaleis Arena,Antwerp,2018
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl x2,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012