Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 12th 2011, 07:38 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Bringing my 7 year old tomorrow night...

My son is coming with me tomorrow night to the show at the Forum. We have floor tickets, and my wife is super worried about me subjecting a kid to that...

I keep telling her he'll be fine, but I'll admit I'm a bit worried too.

He wants to get as close as possible, so we're actually gonna get there pretty early in hopes of scoring a killer spot. It's his first show ever, and he's convinced he'll get to go onstage if we're right up front. I know that's not happening, but I don't want to mute his enthusiasm either.

Any chance security lets him chill on the other side of the barricade so he doesn't get hurt? Or should I even bother trying to get so close?
Old October 12th 2011, 09:14 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: Bringing my 7 year old tomorrow night...

just went last night with my little guy, take him to the rail by where the stairs to come down to the ramp and put him in the corner you will 2 rails to guard him, thats what I did with my guy, I stood behind him and he was safe dont forget to get him some earplugs, (I got a whole box for 2 bucks at walmart) my boy had the most EPIC night ever!! If you cant get that spot get him to any rail so he can have plenty of air, we had quite a few fainters last night. HAVE FUN, so jealous cause I want to go again and again.
Old October 12th 2011, 10:02 PM
Yawn.

I would stay to the side of the stage. You are safest that way.

Your biggest issue will be him being able to see.

Also, the Event Staff will most likely be assholes. Count on it. They won't let your kid inside of the barracade, but they may be helpful making sure the jerks stay away.

Get him ear plugs just in case. The show is LOUD.
Old October 12th 2011, 11:34 PM
Have you found your way around

Its a long time for a little guy to wait if you are going early, l know my 7yo would get bored lol. l personally wouldnt even try to get in the front though, as Knoxy said try and stay to the side, much safer. Have a great night.
Old October 13th 2011, 12:00 AM
Visiting is pretty...

My son is coming with me tomorrow night to the show at the Forum. We have floor tickets, and my wife is super worried about me subjecting a kid to that...

I keep telling her he'll be fine, but I'll admit I'm a bit worried too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas75 View Post
Its a long time for a little guy to wait if you are going early, l know my 7yo would get bored lol. l personally wouldnt even try to get in the front though, as Knoxy said try and stay to the side, much safer. Have a great night.
Getting there "early" means you will have him standing/sitting on the floor for about 6 hours. Probably a lot for even a game 7 year old.

I'm bringing my almost 7 year old Friday, but we have seats and I will surely bring ear plugs.

Last edited by white devil 67 : October 13th 2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old October 13th 2011, 12:18 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Just to let you know... there are so many legal issues regarding people on stage, his chance of getting on stage falls somewhere between zero and not a chance.
The odds of getting on the other side of the barricade are about the same... for the same reasons.
As Knoxy said, best bet is off to the side. I would say, along the walkway that splits the main floor. Dave runs up and down that thing and you have a clearer, unobstructed shot at the center stage. That is where I take my friends when they bring their young teens to G.A. gigs.
The place that is the toughest... those inside corners, where the front barricade turns 90 degrees and heads back towards the remote stage. I've been to a lot of G.A. gigs and steer clear of that spot.
What you don't want to do... hoist him on your shoulders. You know how you think it's so selfish when chicks think they can sit on someone's shoulder so they can have a clearer view for themselves... without any regard for people standing behind them? Well, the same rules apply... except, instead of getting pelted by half full cups of beer... you'll only get pelted with half full cups of Coca-cola.
Other than the ear plugs (take it from a guy whose as deaf as a deaf guy)... you should be okay. As long as he understands, it's a long day/night.
Old October 13th 2011, 03:43 AM

Tell your wife not to worry. Foofans are the best!!! I took my little cousin to his first show (it was a ff show) and the guys around me protected him. They thought it was funny that i had brought him and was doing a good job to keeping him safe, it did get crazy at one point but they stepped in. Your son is a lucky guy i would have loved to b at a show at the age to seven.
Old October 13th 2011, 03:54 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Thanks everyone for the advice. I definitely have the earplugs, and I've already tested them in his ears so he's used to the feeling.

I have a feeling we'll get through a few songs by the opener before he decides to chill further back. We'll see how it goes... I just want him to have fun. If that means we're back behind the crowd a bit, so be it.

Funny thing happened today actually... I told him that the show would "blow his mind." Kinda freaked him out, because he didn't know what that meant. He thinks his head is going to explode now. LMAO
Old October 13th 2011, 04:28 AM
Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyPJam View Post
Funny thing happened today actually... I told him that the show would "blow his mind." Kinda freaked him out, because he didn't know what that meant. He thinks his head is going to explode now. LMAO
Ha!!!

When I was about six or seven, I read about my astrological sign and it said "scatterbrained.". I remember freaking out because I thought it meant I had some kind of brain disease.
Old October 13th 2011, 06:02 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

You need to talk to him about the swearing. Dave swears A LOT.
9/14/11-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #1 and BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE. THREE PICKS (one from Dave, two from Shifty!) Shifty noticed me!
8/22/15-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #2! Shifty noticed me again!

I <3 Shifty!

NATE IS A WIZARD!

私はデイブグロールの愛

My pictures from the 9/14 show
Old October 13th 2011, 02:37 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Yep, my 12 year old is a BUNDLE of energy, but he was no match for the FOO! After 3 hours in line and then 3 more hours of standing inside he was totally pumped for the show, but about 11 he was a MESS. And I even let him have a 5 hour energy at 5 just before the show. Be sure to try and pace things for him.
Old October 13th 2011, 07:58 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFighter0234 View Post
You need to talk to him about the swearing. Dave swears A LOT.
That's a good point! Adult words....
Old October 13th 2011, 08:04 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummymony View Post
Tell your wife not to worry. Foofans are the best!!! I took my little cousin to his first show (it was a ff show) and the guys around me protected him. They thought it was funny that i had brought him and was doing a good job to keeping him safe, it did get crazy at one point but they stepped in. Your son is a lucky guy i would have loved to b at a show at the age to seven.
I agree with this, too. The fans are 95% awesome and it won't be a mosh pit. I thought I would get pushed around a lot more but it was a little bit when they first came out, then everyone was just singing and jumping a bit and having a blast. A girl next to me even left the rail TWICE and came back during the warm up acts and still got back without an issue. I wouldn't take that chance, but good crowd for not getting ugly about it. Maybe the crowd will be chill enough to let a kid through...

BobbyPJam, I hope you guys have a blast! Can't wait to hear how it works out. From grannycoco's experience it can be a life event!!
Old October 14th 2011, 05:23 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Well... how did things go? Is he a hard core fan for life now? Or has his mind been warped forever? I think those two things may be one in the same-
Old October 14th 2011, 05:28 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesickness View Post
Well... how did things go? Is he a hard core fan for life now? Or has his mind been warped forever? I think those two things may be one in the same-
We didn't even make it to the encore... He got REALLY tired and wanted to leave. I wanted to stay, but he was insistent and I didn't want to turn it into a negative experience for him.

Last song we heard was Skin and Bones. We stayed off to the side along the rails guarding the band's equipment. I sat him on the top of the rail so he could see, because he was too short to see over everyone's head. He was pretty chill the whole show... I think he was just unsure what to make of it all.

That said, he said to me as soon as we got to the car, "Dad, that was awesome. I had so much fun." This is significant because he's not usually one to say that stuff unsolicited. And then this morning, as soon as he woke up, he grabbed my wife's iPhone and started streaming Foo songs on her Spotify account.

So I'd say he enjoyed it. He just couldn't make it the whole show. That's a long day for a 7 year old.

If only I could go to tonight's show so I could catch the whole thing... Bummer.
Old October 14th 2011, 05:35 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I was afraid that would happen. It's a long day for ANYONE, and late. Makes you wonder how the guys have the energy to pull it off night after night, city after city. After all, if your 7 and my 12 year old get worn out- just imagine what they go through.
Old October 15th 2011, 12:21 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
That said, he said to me as soon as we got to the car, "Dad, that was awesome. I had so much fun." This is significant because he's not usually one to say that stuff unsolicited. And then this morning, as soon as he woke up, he grabbed my wife's iPhone and started streaming Foo songs on her Spotify account.

So I'd say he enjoyed it. He just couldn't make it the whole show. That's a long day for a 7 year old.

If only I could go to tonight's show so I could catch the whole thing... Bummer.
Awww! I wish I had a dad who took me to an awesome rock show that young! And it sounds like it really made an impression on him! You're a great dad for bringing him, then sacrificing the end to make sure he had an overall good time. Cheers!
Old October 15th 2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesickness View Post
I was afraid that would happen. It's a long day for ANYONE, and late. Makes you wonder how the guys have the energy to pull it off night after night, city after city. After all, if your 7 and my 12 year old get worn out- just imagine what they go through.
Getting paid tens of thousands of dollars for a few hours work each night def. helps some of those aches and pains go away.
Old October 16th 2011, 08:54 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotaboutsteve View Post
Getting paid tens of thousands of dollars for a few hours work each night def. helps some of those aches and pains go away.
and being able to do what they love-play music for people, also helps.
9/14/11-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #1 and BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE. THREE PICKS (one from Dave, two from Shifty!) Shifty noticed me!
8/22/15-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #2! Shifty noticed me again!

I <3 Shifty!

NATE IS A WIZARD!

私はデイブグロールの愛

My pictures from the 9/14 show
Old October 17th 2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Hey they'll be back in a couple of years and your son will probably be able to handle a whole concert by then

"There's poetry in being the band that can sell out Wembley but also makes a record in a garage."