Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 15th 2011, 09:58 PM
Cosmo's Avatar
Cosmo Cosmo is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 965
Default Foo Fighters Live Shows...

I know that as veterans Foo gigs, people will want certain songs dropped from the setlists... but, I appreciate them. Here's why I feel this way.
I believe, although they don't take themselves too seriously, they take their music and live shows very seriously. The shows are well thought out and planned to include everyone in some of these cavernous arenas, not just the ones at the front of the stage.

The catwalk is a great way to bring the entire floor into the show. And it breaks up the floor into managable lots, so it doesn't get too crazy. And the remote stage is great for those in the furthest seats and back portion of the floor. The stage lighting and large screens enhance the experience for those who aren't up on the barricades. It's a great show... a big electric ROCK show.

And of the 3 shows I went to, two of them were with friends who had never seen them live. 'Learn To Fly' is played for them, not me. I love hearing that song (and the many other songs that I've heard at most of the gigs I've seen) because I know there are hundreds or thousands in the crowd that have never experienced them played live. They are thrilled to hear the songs they love. There's a reason why everyone sings the lyrics... they've heard them a million time on the radio, but never live. Those people become instant fans that buy up the shirts, hoodies, Foosies, fanny packs and little toy limos as well as all of the Foo CDs they don't already own. Those people become us. I know that the friends I took to the shows rave about it and say it was one of the greatest shows, if not THE greatest show they've ever seen. Even if they were in the upper seats in the colonade.

For that, I have to thank the Foos for creating an experience that is burned deeply into the deepest part of the hearts of the people in attendance. I love the fact that the shows are designed with everyone in mind. I believe it comes from them being fans that once sat in those colonade seats and their knowing what it would take for everyone in the house to walk across the parking lot with a feeling of pure happiness and joy and the feeling that the show was worth every penny they spent.

Great job, guys... for including everyone... not just this ugly mug you see at just about every show in L.A. Hope you know how much happiness you bring to people.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 15th 2011, 10:04 PM
awesome's Avatar
awesome awesome is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,346
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

:,) Well said, I agree completely.
__________________
Keep it Clean

FRESH POTS!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 15th 2011, 10:17 PM
trichristina's Avatar
trichristina trichristina is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 144
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Great job, guys... for including everyone... not just this ugly mug you see at just about every show in L.A. Hope you know how much happiness you bring to people.
That's nice...puuurrrrrrrrrrrrr
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 15th 2011, 11:37 PM
A320's Avatar
A320 A320 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 35
Talking Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

BRAVO!! well said everyone is focusing on what the would rather them play or Dave falling or what people were wearing. I say it was a great musical experience that the entire band put out a sense of all of us belonging together cohesively for one evening. It was about the music and their way of bringing it to us.
__________________
A320
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 16th 2011, 02:39 AM
Dave T.'s Avatar
Dave T. Dave T. is offline
my tits are also out for Simon
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hamilton, ON, Canada
Posts: 8,409
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Couldn't disagree more. It's just appealing to the lowest common denominator. So that people who aren't necessarily fans but know their stuff from the radio will go so that they can say they were at the show. I attended 2 shows on this tour almost 2 months apart and aside from one different song from WL and a different cover it was the same show. Right down to the song introductions and banter. It really seemed to me like it was almost scripted. That may be fun for some people but not for me. A rock show should feel full of energy and unpredictable not like a scripted play or stage show.

Again this is just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree but personally unless one of them is in a club I don't ever plan on seeing more than one show on the same tour again.
__________________
I was a young boy that had big plans. Now I'm just another shitty old man. I don't have fun and I hate everything the world owes me so fuck you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 16th 2011, 02:51 AM
awesome's Avatar
awesome awesome is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,346
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T. View Post
Couldn't disagree more. It's just appealing to the lowest common denominator. So that people who aren't necessarily fans but know their stuff from the radio will go so that they can say they were at the show. I attended 2 shows on this tour almost 2 months apart and aside from one different song from WL and a different cover it was the same show. Right down to the song introductions and banter. It really seemed to me like it was almost scripted. That may be fun for some people but not for me. A rock show should feel full of energy and unpredictable not like a scripted play or stage show.

Again this is just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree but personally unless one of them is in a club I don't ever plan on seeing more than one show on the same tour again.
Are you by any chance a member of coldplay?
__________________
Keep it Clean

FRESH POTS!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 16th 2011, 03:59 AM
Jo's Avatar
Jo Jo is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 2,233
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T. View Post
Couldn't disagree more. It's just appealing to the lowest common denominator. So that people who aren't necessarily fans but know their stuff from the radio will go so that they can say they were at the show. I attended 2 shows on this tour almost 2 months apart and aside from one different song from WL and a different cover it was the same show. Right down to the song introductions and banter. It really seemed to me like it was almost scripted. That may be fun for some people but not for me. A rock show should feel full of energy and unpredictable not like a scripted play or stage show.

Again this is just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree but personally unless one of them is in a club I don't ever plan on seeing more than one show on the same tour again.
I agree with you. Last tour, I read up on the shows and watched youtube clips and when they finally rolled around to Philly I knew exactly what was going to happen. Everything was repeated from what I watched on youtube. It felt scripted and not really from a true place.

I'm trying to avoid that this year.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 16th 2011, 04:11 AM
Mike2's Avatar
Mike2 Mike2 is offline
Everything Is Awesome
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 19,453
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

If possible I actually agree with both Cosmo and Dave. It is great they play some of the hits for the more casual fan because you know a lot of people are there to hear Learn to Fly or whatever. However, it wouldn't kill them to shake things up a bit and not have everything so scripted. Like Dave I have seen a couple shows on this tour months apart and they were basically identical.
__________________
Hi
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 16th 2011, 04:12 AM
2cents's Avatar
2cents 2cents is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: FFPB, killing threads 1 post at a time!
Posts: 375
Thumbs up Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I know that as veterans Foo gigs, people will want certain songs dropped from the setlists... but, I appreciate them. Here's why I feel this way.
I believe, although they don't take themselves too seriously, they take their music and live shows very seriously. The shows are well thought out and planned to include everyone in some of these cavernous arenas, not just the ones at the front of the stage.

The catwalk is a great way to bring the entire floor into the show. And it breaks up the floor into managable lots, so it doesn't get too crazy. And the remote stage is great for those in the furthest seats and back portion of the floor. The stage lighting and large screens enhance the experience for those who aren't up on the barricades. It's a great show... a big electric ROCK show.

And of the 3 shows I went to, two of them were with friends who had never seen them live. 'Learn To Fly' is played for them, not me. I love hearing that song (and the many other songs that I've heard at most of the gigs I've seen) because I know there are hundreds or thousands in the crowd that have never experienced them played live. They are thrilled to hear the songs they love. There's a reason why everyone sings the lyrics... they've heard them a million time on the radio, but never live. Those people become instant fans that buy up the shirts, hoodies, Foosies, fanny packs and little toy limos as well as all of the Foo CDs they don't already own. Those people become us. I know that the friends I took to the shows rave about it and say it was one of the greatest shows, if not THE greatest show they've ever seen. Even if they were in the upper seats in the colonade.

For that, I have to thank the Foos for creating an experience that is burned deeply into the deepest part of the hearts of the people in attendance. I love the fact that the shows are designed with everyone in mind. I believe it comes from them being fans that once sat in those colonade seats and their knowing what it would take for everyone in the house to walk across the parking lot with a feeling of pure happiness and joy and the feeling that the show was worth every penny they spent.

Great job, guys... for including everyone... not just this ugly mug you see at just about every show in L.A. Hope you know how much happiness you bring to people.
THIS!
...is why Foo & Cosmo are freakin' awesome, after ALL these years!

Cheers to great F*#kin shows!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 16th 2011, 04:25 AM
mj mj is offline
math is fun!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NoVa
Posts: 1,239
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T. View Post
Couldn't disagree more. It's just appealing to the lowest common denominator. So that people who aren't necessarily fans but know their stuff from the radio will go so that they can say they were at the show. I attended 2 shows on this tour almost 2 months apart and aside from one different song from WL and a different cover it was the same show. Right down to the song introductions and banter. It really seemed to me like it was almost scripted. That may be fun for some people but not for me. A rock show should feel full of energy and unpredictable not like a scripted play or stage show.

Again this is just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree but personally unless one of them is in a club I don't ever plan on seeing more than one show on the same tour again.
Yeah, I'd love for them to mix up the sets, throw in some more of their old stuff, but I still go to every concert I can. I was at the same shows as you (Toronto and Buffalo), and did Salt Lake this last week, and while the setlists were nearly identical, there was something special at each gig. In Toronto, heard New Way Home at soundcheck (still hoping they'll play it at one of my shows this tour), getting to see the Doughboys open was wild, they played Generator, and Dave's solo acoustic Wheels made me like that song (didn't much care for it before). In Buffalo, Krist on accordion was fantastic (was sweet to hear Dave say I love you Krist), got to see Dear Rosemary. And in SLC, getting to see Dave play drums for Cage the Elephant was a huge bonus. I stood in a different place at each gig (on the rail corner at the stage extension where Dave came out to play a fair amount, next to the B-stage, and up front on the rail in front of Pat), and they were all great spots. Of course, I'd rather be up front in a club and get to see everything going on.

I love that they're playing longer than they used to (even if some of it is filler jams and banter), and I love so many of the current setlist standards: Let It Die, Arlandria, Stacked Actors, Cold Day (I wish Dave would take the kit and Taylor would pick up a guitar again), Walk, These Days, .... so many amazing songs. And even fucking Learn To Fly, I told my sister I hated that song when they started playing it in Buffalo (I wouldn't miss it if they never played it again), but then I proceeded to dance and sing along (looking to the sky to SAVE ME!!!).

Not looking to argue with you, I totally see your point, and can't wait for the chance for another club show. But damn, to see Foo Fighters live anywhere (except maybe a festival, I don't enjoy that environment anymore)............ what an engaging epic experience.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 16th 2011, 04:46 AM
foonut's Avatar
foonut foonut is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: ohio
Posts: 1,522
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Completely agree Cosmo. I took two people to shows this year that had never seen them and I am glad they still play the songs like Learn to Fly. For those people that have never experienced it before. I saw them 4 times this tour and every show was similar but not the same. Something different happens at each show. I think they mixed it up more this tour than previous tours actually. They keep it real for the old fans and for the new fans. That is why they are great live. I would go to every single show and never get bored or feel like it was scripted.
__________________
30 shows so far!!


Got some pics on my FB of the Foo and Dead Peasants:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1183758839
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 16th 2011, 04:47 AM
foonut's Avatar
foonut foonut is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: ohio
Posts: 1,522
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Give A Fook View Post
In all of that I didn't see the part where they appeal to the more dedicated fans that don't just want to hear the same hits every show? That IS the problem, they only seem to cover the casuals.

Also when you play back to back nights at the same venue you have to expect many people to go to both and change things accordingly, not just one/two songs.
When was the last time you saw them?
__________________
30 shows so far!!


Got some pics on my FB of the Foo and Dead Peasants:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1183758839
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 16th 2011, 05:32 AM
Cosmo's Avatar
Cosmo Cosmo is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 965
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

I totally understand what people are saying about setlists and running the same show. I am a long time Pearl Jam fan that goes to a lot of gigs. I appreciate both bands and have a lot of respect for both.
I also understand that most of my friends are not like me. They cannot afford to go to a lot of shows, for different reasons... kids, money, job, whatever. When they ask about a good concert to see, I always tell them that the Foo Fighters put on one the the best live shows on the planet. I know they will walk away with a great feeling.
Don't get me wrong... I LOVE Pearl Jam. I think their shows compare to none... for my personal preferences. Pearl Jam is more of a stripped down, to the basics live show that does not have a lot of production constraints. This allows Eddie Vedder to come up with a setlist that is different each night. I also, endorse Pearl Jam, but let my non-concert going friends know... there are going to be alot of songs they have never heard.
So, I see and understand both sides. I also know that people... my friends... can't afford to go to multiple shows. I have friends that will travel to other cities... other continents to see Pearl Jam. Most of the people I know cannot afford to go to 2 shows in L.A., let alone, 2 shows across the country or across the globe.
Anyway, I love the Foo Fighters gigs... I guess it's because I love the Foo Fighters... and will go and see them because they make me feel happy.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 16th 2011, 05:40 AM
2cents's Avatar
2cents 2cents is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: FFPB, killing threads 1 post at a time!
Posts: 375
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Anyway, I love the Foo Fighters gigs... I guess it's because I love the Foo Fighters... and will go and see them because they make me feel happy.
Both of u still rule the school!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 16th 2011, 05:47 AM
Cosmo's Avatar
Cosmo Cosmo is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 965
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Give A Fook View Post
In all of that I didn't see the part where they appeal to the more dedicated fans that don't just want to hear the same hits every show? That IS the problem, they only seem to cover the casuals.

Also when you play back to back nights at the same venue you have to expect many people to go to both and change things accordingly, not just one/two songs.
...
Fair enough. I'll amend it:
The thing that brings me back, someone who first saw them in 1996 at a KROQ Christmas show, is the music. The records they come out with get play at the time of release. I remember hearing 'Learn To Fly' the first time and how happy it made me feel. When I hear it today, it always reminds me of the time I first heard it. I keep coming back because I don't get to see them everyday. So, when the time comes around, I will catch them.
And I admit, I buy a lot of Foo crap... like a fanny pack... I mean, who wears a fanny pack? But, it's funny. Just like a dumb license plate and the little toy car. I have also bought a lot of Foo concert tickets. To me... it is all worth it.
But, I also understand... that is just me. Everyone is different.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old October 16th 2011, 05:50 AM
Dave T.'s Avatar
Dave T. Dave T. is offline
my tits are also out for Simon
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hamilton, ON, Canada
Posts: 8,409
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome View Post
Are you by any chance a member of coldplay?
What?! I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.
__________________
I was a young boy that had big plans. Now I'm just another shitty old man. I don't have fun and I hate everything the world owes me so fuck you.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old October 16th 2011, 05:53 AM
2cents's Avatar
2cents 2cents is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: FFPB, killing threads 1 post at a time!
Posts: 375
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T. View Post
What?! I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.
Easy, now...it's a youngster! Not a noob, a kid.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old October 16th 2011, 06:11 AM
Cosmo's Avatar
Cosmo Cosmo is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 965
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Let me add... a lot of kids were at the shows were younger than the band, itself. They were one or two or not even born when that first record hit the streets. I saw them having a blast and I remember what it was like to be a kid, seeing a band I love for the first time... singing the song we love.
For an old geezer like me... it helped make me feel happy.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old October 16th 2011, 07:15 AM
Kathi's Avatar
Kathi Kathi is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: over the hills and far away (Italy/Austria)
Posts: 2,282
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

I wouldn't mind if they changed everything around a little. They actually played quite some more new songs in the US shows I've seen than in Europe, and I really enjoyed that. I'm yet to see Pearl Jam live, but I really appreciate them changing the setlist so much...must be really great for the hardcore fans. I know I'll definitely see them a few times when they tour Europe next.

That being said, I do get your point Cosmo. I have millions of song wishes I'd like to hear, and I'd love to get to a small club show. But as soon as they come on stage, I'm happy. Really happy. That band is like a switch to make my day go from horrible to super awesome, and it has been that way since I'm 13 years old. I fully appreciate the opportunities I have now to travel and see them as much as I can.
I took my nephew to 3 shows with me on this US trip, he wasn't too much of a fan before, but he really likes them now because of the live shows. The energy the whole place gets, even those very unlucky people sitting behind the stage, is amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old October 16th 2011, 08:26 AM
FooFighter0234's Avatar
FooFighter0234 FooFighter0234 is offline
Cause everyone's just too weird
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 5,532
Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

well said!
__________________
10/2/05-St Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center
10/29/06-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center
2/27/08-Minneapolis MN, Target Center
9/14/11-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #1 and BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE. THREE PICKS (one from Dave, two from Shifty!) Shifty noticed me!
8/22/15-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #2! Shifty noticed me again!


I <3 Shifty!

NATE IS A WIZARD!

私はデイブグロールの愛

My pictures from the 9/14 show
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.