Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 16th 2011, 08:33 AM
my tits are also out for Simon

Default Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Easy, now...it's a youngster! Not a noob, a kid.
Haha no worries I wasn't going to rip into him I was honestly confused. Is Coldplay the new piranha band? Kinda like Nickelback is?
Old October 16th 2011, 08:48 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by foonut View Post
Completely agree Cosmo. I took two people to shows this year that had never seen them and I am glad they still play the songs like Learn to Fly. For those people that have never experienced it before. I saw them 4 times this tour and every show was similar but not the same. Something different happens at each show. I think they mixed it up more this tour than previous tours actually. They keep it real for the old fans and for the new fans. That is why they are great live. I would go to every single show and never get bored or feel like it was scripted.
Every show of theirs that I've seen has been different and wonderful.
9/14/11-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #1 and BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE. THREE PICKS (one from Dave, two from Shifty!) Shifty noticed me!
8/22/15-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #2! Shifty noticed me again!

I <3 Shifty!

NATE IS A WIZARD!

私はデイブグロールの愛

My pictures from the 9/14 show
Old October 16th 2011, 09:57 AM
I'll Stick Around

I don't understand why bands repeat the same banter. Doesn't that add to the monotony of touring?

Never been to a foo show. If I track down tickets in time, I'll be excited to hear the hits, but just as happy to maybe discover something I've never heard before. A new favorite.

What bugs me though, is if a band starts playing some deep cuts or something, and much of the audience tunes out. They wait to hear the songs they know. That's probably why they stick to the more popular tunes. Everyone can sing and nobody gets bored. I think that's why I've never had a problem with bands sticking to their popular songs; the crowd's energy never wanes. I wish everyone would dance and get crazy regardless if they know the song or not.
Old October 16th 2011, 10:21 AM
Have you found your way around

So..

They play almost 3 hours every night,

they put on a show that´s fun to watch from every seat of the house due to the light show and the different stages,

they play tighter than they´ve played in years,

Dave still likes to talk to the audience and looks like he enjoys his time on stage..

Still people are complaining? So what if the banter is same-ish most nights? There must be thought out points in the setlist where they slow things down to let Dave do his banter - the point is the same in the core setlist every night - so the mood in which he does the talking is probably the same every night, too. So the banter probably also is probably in the same vein every night. But, so what? They´re professionals doing their thing up there, and this is the way they do it. Get over it.

And they play just about the same songs every night - so what? They´ve figured out the setlist works best with the audience, let them do their thing and stop complaining, people. I mean, it´s easy to pull out the Pearl Jam card, but having been a massive PJ fan myself in the 90´s (not so much anymore), I really want to hear Even Flow and Alive when I´ll finally catch them live someday or I´ll be pissed. I think it´s the same with the average FF fan - they really don´t mind the hits, and This Is A Call is probably obscure enough for them. Us freaks are a completely different story..

So, I think the ones bitching about the setlists, tour production or whatever should just face the fact that the FF has become an arena show - and an arena show is a scripted deal 99% of the time. It´s a big production, and the more it´s scripted the better and easier it is for the audience and everyone working the show, meaning the crew and the band. There´s always the freak in the audience complaining how they don´t play Exhausted anymore but, hey, they´re not the band anymore that does the whole first record every night.

They´re one of the best touring live rock shows ever, isn´t that enough?
Old October 16th 2011, 11:34 AM
I'll Stick Around

Last edited by Kim12 : July 24th 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old October 16th 2011, 12:13 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T. View Post
Couldn't disagree more. It's just appealing to the lowest common denominator. So that people who aren't necessarily fans but know their stuff from the radio will go so that they can say they were at the show. I attended 2 shows on this tour almost 2 months apart and aside from one different song from WL and a different cover it was the same show. Right down to the song introductions and banter. It really seemed to me like it was almost scripted. That may be fun for some people but not for me. A rock show should feel full of energy and unpredictable not like a scripted play or stage show.

Again this is just my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree but personally unless one of them is in a club I don't ever plan on seeing more than one show on the same tour again.
I kind of get your point but when you go on tour you have to create routine of some sort. Just so every show can go smoothly. You can't turn it upside down every time because there's not only the band to think of, there are people responsible for sound, light, security,... They kind of need to know what is going to happen. So that may give a feeling of being to predictable.

Totally agree with the 'people go so they can say they were there'. I've even heard people lie about being at the Pukkelpop festival in Belgium. For f*cks sake! People died there, you don't go telling lies about being there when you weren't. But I'm afraid that's human nature or something.

Predictable or not,think of the guys. Going on tourbusses, plaines,...from one place to another, one venue to another...Can't blame them for feeling tired or not that superduper energetic every once and a while. You can only be veeeeeeery thankfull they are willing to leave their homes and families for such a long time to come and entertain us... Respect.
Old October 16th 2011, 02:01 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
So..

They play almost 3 hours every night,

they put on a show that´s fun to watch from every seat of the house due to the light show and the different stages,

they play tighter than they´ve played in years,

Dave still likes to talk to the audience and looks like he enjoys his time on stage..

Still people are complaining? So what if the banter is same-ish most nights? There must be thought out points in the setlist where they slow things down to let Dave do his banter - the point is the same in the core setlist every night - so the mood in which he does the talking is probably the same every night, too. So the banter probably also is probably in the same vein every night. But, so what? They´re professionals doing their thing up there, and this is the way they do it. Get over it.

And they play just about the same songs every night - so what? They´ve figured out the setlist works best with the audience, let them do their thing and stop complaining, people. I mean, it´s easy to pull out the Pearl Jam card, but having been a massive PJ fan myself in the 90´s (not so much anymore), I really want to hear Even Flow and Alive when I´ll finally catch them live someday or I´ll be pissed. I think it´s the same with the average FF fan - they really don´t mind the hits, and This Is A Call is probably obscure enough for them. Us freaks are a completely different story..

So, I think the ones bitching about the setlists, tour production or whatever should just face the fact that the FF has become an arena show - and an arena show is a scripted deal 99% of the time. It´s a big production, and the more it´s scripted the better and easier it is for the audience and everyone working the show, meaning the crew and the band. There´s always the freak in the audience complaining how they don´t play Exhausted anymore but, hey, they´re not the band anymore that does the whole first record every night.

They´re one of the best touring live rock shows ever, isn´t that enough?
You and Cosmo speak the truth. They are the best band in the world! Seriously.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old October 16th 2011, 02:21 PM
I'll Stick Around

Last edited by Kim12 : July 24th 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old October 16th 2011, 02:26 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Right on!
Old October 16th 2011, 03:22 PM
I AM EVERYWHERE

Thumbs up Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
What she said. They must be doing something right, they keep me coming back over and over again. Yeah, I'd love to hear stuff I haven't heard before/only heard one or two times, but they're not just playing for me or the other hardcore fans, they're playing for thousands who may not have seen them live before. I understand the complaints, I really do, but credit where it's due, thanks.
Homer: "Oh Lisa, I just meant that marriage is like a coffin. And each kid is another nail..."
Enter at your peril. I will not be held responsible.

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old October 16th 2011, 03:56 PM
I'll Stick Around

Amen Jill and Cosmo
I have learned that whether I'm in a seat behind the stage, on the rail Dave's feet, nosebleed or anywhere else under the roof of the arena, I am going to see a phenomenal show. They never give anything less than everything. I live standing next to FF rookies and just watch them turn into complete addicts by the time the house lights come up; they're hooked body and soul.

Because I'm visiting a friend in Phx and sh loves trace Adkins, we went to Az state fair to see him. Now, I don't know his music but he sang well enough, his band was good and he engaged the crowd a bit but the room was dead. Maybe 15 people dancing, mostly people sitting and not even clapping.

That would never be a FF room. Their shows are ALIVE w energy-the band's feeding off the crowd. And we all have a really good time.

I feel good about the good things; I feel bad about the bad things. I wouldn't changes thing.
Old October 16th 2011, 04:03 PM
I'll Stick Around

Oops. Overstimulated already.

I feel good about the good things; I feel bad about the bad things. I wouldn't changes thing.

Last edited by ~Butterflies~ : October 16th 2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Said before just as well.
Old October 16th 2011, 04:33 PM
Have you found your way around

First off, I'm going to thank Cosmo for saying exactly what I feel when going to a Foo show. I'm sitting here in a Phoenix hotel room excitedly waiting for tonight's show after having one night off from the 2 L.A. shows. I'm even more excited that tomorrow night I will see them in my home town and I'm taking my mom who is a new fan. I can't wait to see her reaction to the show.

I am one of the fortunate people who affords myself the opportunity to see them as many times as I can in cities all across the U.S. and if they play the same set, I'll enjoy it all the same. I mean, I listen to their same cds over and over too. And yes, I love that I know their deeper cuts, but appreciate that not everyone shares my devotion (obsession?).

For me the Foo shows are pure joy and happiness whether they are in a small club (thank you for those secret shows!) or a huge arena. I suggest if you want a different show, you try a different seat or spot on the floor.

Side note: I did have seats for Thursday's show (and a few coming up) and got a whole different experience - the stage actually has video screens that have the same video as the monitors overhead. It was spectacular to see the full production.
Old October 16th 2011, 05:20 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Not to change the subject but could anyone tell me if Dave played drums for Cage the Elephant on Friday October 14? I can't find it anywhere on the web. Thank you.
Old October 16th 2011, 05:40 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by A320 View Post
Not to change the subject but could anyone tell me if Dave played drums for Cage the Elephant on Friday October 14? I can't find it anywhere on the web. Thank you.
Yup.
Old October 16th 2011, 05:48 PM
I'll Stick Around

Talking Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Anyway, I love the Foo Fighters gigs... I guess it's because I love the Foo Fighters... and will go and see them because they make me feel happy.
I feel EXACTLY the same!

www.facebook.com/spankmoo
5/18/2011 Little Rock, AR
11/7/2011 Atlanta, GA
11/8/2011 Charlotte, NC
5/6/2012 New Orleans, LA
Old October 16th 2011, 05:56 PM
Yawn.

Thumbs up Re: Foo Fighters Live Shows...

Love your mug, Cosmo.
Old October 16th 2011, 06:16 PM

Well... my best guess (using totally unfounded and wildy dangerous speculation):
Taylor probably grew up loving those big 70s/80s L.A. Forum Arena shows of bands like Queen, The Police, The Who... those shows defined Arena Rock. He probably sat in the loge and colonade like the rest of us and appreciated the big light show, flash pots and other visuals... since the band members were the size of toy hamsters to us.
I'm guessing he (Taylor) has a lot of idea that help to bring the band to those people up in the furthest sections into the concerts. Like, how awesome would it have been to see Freddie Mercury come to the back to sing to us... or Pete and Roger coming back to do a few songs to get us up on our feet? I looked back at the audience at the Forum the past couple of nights and those people were standing, jumping and dancing because they probably felt were part of the show. I could see the excitement of the people in the last row at the top of the arena, on their feet and jumping when went Dave went back to see them. Every time Dave ran down the catwalk, the crowd on the floor went wild. The Foos bring the rock to the people... all of the people.
And seeing them up close, you can see how professional they are. Nate looks like he is so concentrated on his part... we all know how meticulous Taylor is. I believe the entire crew also shared this sense of dedication to bring a tight, entertaining show to a big venue. And it's not a simple task. There is a lot of production coordination that goes into it. Everyone involved are professionals that provide a quality production to the entire crowd.
I admit... a lot of what I say is all me... transferring my thoughts onto Taylor. But, I believe it is true, that the Foo Fighters do their best to include everyone into their shows. And it's not saying that Pearl Jam are not professionals... they just have a different method and game plan. Each band is different and bring their own professionalism to their shows and I, personally, love and appreciate both.
Me... personally... I love singing 'Learn To Fly' in my horribly out of tune voice because it make me happy and reminds me how lucky I have been to hear it so many times.
Old October 16th 2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxy View Post
Love your mug, Cosmo.
And you know I love you, too.
Old October 16th 2011, 07:13 PM
The Boss

Cosmo, I love "Learn To Fly" too.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond