Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 20th 2011, 10:56 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Sacramento... do I dare?

I'm a 44 year old "semi-pro" who's rockin' up the Cali Central valley family in tow on a two day road trip to meet up in our lovely State Capitol to get me some major dosage of Rock Riffage and Grand Tuneage from the Greatest Rock Show on the Face of the Earth!

Necessary Items:

Foo Fighters Road Trip Music- Check
Taylor Chopstick 'Drumsticks" (for the Kid)- Check
Fresh Pots and Truck Stops along the way- Check
Vocal Chords and Sweatbands- Check (for Now- prolly not by Midnight!)

:>
Old October 20th 2011, 04:20 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmenning View Post
oh, man! I knew you guys would say to go for it!

I had talked myself out of it, but I may just have to do it. I am really glad to hear other people go by themselves too. I am pretty sure my husband thinks I am crazy.

Flight and hotel would be $350 - add a little food and a ticket - and I would be right at $500. I can swing that. A couple of vacation days... it will be all set.

Does anybody think you are too "zealous"? I mean serioously, I am 39 years old. I am a mom. I am an accountant. A lot of people just dont get that this is something that I really enjoy - they think I am a litle nuts for even considering it.
As others have also said, I also go to a lot of shows alone, and just chat with people there.

Again, just like they've said, once the show starts, I just enjoy the experience with the 15, 000-20,000 others.

If you can afford it, and can make the travel arrangements, I'd do it.

Let us know how it is. Also, if you put your recap in another thread, let us know that too.
Old October 20th 2011, 04:31 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Do it! I'll be there up front hopefully!
Old October 20th 2011, 04:35 PM
I AM EVERYWHERE

Thumbs up Re: Sacramento... do I dare?

Another crazy old(er) chick who apparently does this shit for a living now. Do it. It's the best fun you'll ever have and you meet the most amazing people.
Homer: "Oh Lisa, I just meant that marriage is like a coffin. And each kid is another nail..."
Enter at your peril. I will not be held responsible.

"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old October 20th 2011, 04:41 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Does anybody think you are too "zealous"? I mean serioously, I am 39 years old. I am a mom. I am an accountant. A lot of people just dont get that this is something that I really enjoy - they think I am a litle nuts for even considering it.
never ever ever, be it this decision or any other in your life, base a decision even partly on what others think of it or you and dont conform to expectations. as far as most people know, you only get one chance at life and if you can afford it, wont lose your job or have any long term consequences then you should do it.

one person's nuts is another person's normal. most that say you are nuts are just making excuses for their own sorry selves that they wouldnt have the guts to do what you are doing, and even if they dont, who cares? why would you want to impress someone who obviously doesnt have any passion in their life.

when your kids are faced with a tough decision or are nervous about going out for the team/asking out the pretty girl/running for school president etc, do you want to tell them how one time you thought about doing something fun but that people thought you were crazy so you just forgot about it or do you want them to hear about when you went out on your own for a day and did something you enjoyed on so many levels?

have a great time in sacramento, not the greatest city if you ask me, but i am sure it will be rocking the night you are there.
Old October 20th 2011, 06:38 PM
I'll Stick Around

Question Re: Sacramento... do I dare? *UPDATE* NOW IN PLANNING PHASE - Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavini View Post
never ever ever, be it this decision or any other in your life, base a decision even partly on what others think of it or you and dont conform to expectations. as far as most people know, you only get one chance at life and if you can afford it, wont lose your job or have any long term consequences then you should do it.

one person's nuts is another person's normal. most that say you are nuts are just making excuses for their own sorry selves that they wouldnt have the guts to do what you are doing, and even if they dont, who cares? why would you want to impress someone who obviously doesnt have any passion in their life.

when your kids are faced with a tough decision or are nervous about going out for the team/asking out the pretty girl/running for school president etc, do you want to tell them how one time you thought about doing something fun but that people thought you were crazy so you just forgot about it or do you want them to hear about when you went out on your own for a day and did something you enjoyed on so many levels?

have a great time in sacramento, not the greatest city if you ask me, but i am sure it will be rocking the night you are there.
AMEN!
And thanks for the perspective. I have started to tell a few people that I am really thinking of going - and every time I do - I get this HUGE smile ion my face. Seriously - if that isnt enough - what is?

I also don't want to live with regret - I mean, seriously, what a great life experience opportunity. Sure, I would love to head to Europe and follow them around for a month - but work and $ wont permit that. THIS I can swing.

So - I guess I have my decision.

So - on that note - I have never been to Sacramento - and I will barely be there this time (fly in mid afternoon, shower, contemplate hanging out to hope for sound check arrival? (is THAT safe to do alone?), show, crash, fly home) When I told a friend today of my plans - she seemed concerned that Sacramento was quite unsafe. Of course, she always tells me to watch out for ruffies. so I wasn't really planning on a bunch of bar hopping (tho that is so fun). So, maybe if anyone has recommnedqations on accomodations/good hotel bar that seems safe?

Was just thinking of staying at, IDK, the Holiday Inn Express down the street. Taxis to and from? (how hard is that to do after the show)?

Any additional thoughts and guidance?
ps -I have travelled extensively (in the US) alone - so "I" am not overly nervous - but am quite happy to have recommendations!

Last edited by GreenGirl : October 20th 2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old October 20th 2011, 06:41 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolo View Post
Do it! I'll be there up front hopefully!
WOLO - do you live near by? Can you recommend any decent place to stay? Safe, good bar ajacent? Close?

Last edited by GreenGirl : October 20th 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old October 20th 2011, 06:45 PM

I don't know Sacramento (just about to drive there..had my hotel booked for the original date of the show & couldn't cancel) but hanging out right by the venue should be safe in just about any place..there'll be people lining up, and plenty of security staff around.
You might want to get a taxi afterwards if the area seems sketchy though - my hotel in Oakland was within walking distance from the arena, but I still drove there.

Last edited by Kathi : October 20th 2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old October 20th 2011, 07:22 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
I don't know Sacramento (just about to drive there..had my hotel booked for the original date of the show & couldn't cancel) but hanging out right by the venue should be safe in just about any place..there'll be people lining up, and plenty of security staff around.
You might want to get a taxi afterwards if the area seems sketchy though - my hotel in Oakland was within walking distance from the arena, but I still drove there.
I dont know Oakland at all - but am thinking I probably wouldnt walk ANYWHERE!!! j/k - well, kind of!
Old October 20th 2011, 07:31 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
WOLO - do youu livenarby? Can you recommend any decent place to stay? Safe, good bar ajacent? Close?
I lived in Sacramento for a quite a while. It's not unsafe, just certain parts, like any other city. Taxis should be available. I would check with expedia or any online hotel booking site for decent hotels, consumer reviews.

The arena (aka Arco Arena) is almost in the middle of nowhere, or at least it used to be so I think it will be safe, but also boring. It's 5-6 miles north of downtown where you'd find some of the cooler bars in the area. If you're interested, let me know and I'll ask my niece. She's college age, bartends in downtown Sac and knows what's up.

Good local joke:
Q: What do you get when you line up 12 Rio Linda women?
A: A full set of teeth!
Old October 20th 2011, 07:33 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichristina View Post
I lived in Sacramento for a quite a while. It's not unsafe, just certain parts, like any other city. Taxis should be available. I would check with expedia or any online hotel booking site for decent hotels, consumer reviews.

The arena (aka Arco Arena) is almost in the middle of nowhere, or at least it used to be so I think it will be safe, but also boring. It's 5-6 miles north of downtown where you'd find some of the cooler bars in the area. If you're interested, let me know and I'll ask my niece. She's college age, bartends in downtown Sac and knows what's up.

Good local joke:
Q: What do you get when you line up 12 Rio Linda women?
A: A full set of teeth!
Haha - thanks for the joke!

Trichristina - sure - if she has any thoughts on a decent place - I would love to hear it! Locals have great info! thanks so much!
Old October 20th 2011, 10:57 PM
I'll Stick Around

DONE!!!

Just purchased my ticket - now on to the other planning!!!

I just want to say....

THANK YOU!!! You guys really gave me the backing I needed to do what I really wanted. Now another 2 weeks of me with this look on my face:
Old October 21st 2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
DONE!!!

Just purchased my ticket - now on to the other planning!!!

I just want to say....

THANK YOU!!! You guys really gave me the backing I needed to do what I really wanted. Now another 2 weeks of me with this look on my face:
WALLRIGHT!!!

We'll be rockin' the Arena at the same place, same FOO station!

:>
Old October 21st 2011, 12:38 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by elayblooze View Post
WALLRIGHT!!!:>
Ditto from me!!! So happy for you and wish I could be there, too. My brother and his gf will be there, tho! I will get back to you on the bars after I hear from my niece!
Old October 21st 2011, 12:39 AM
I'll Stick Around

There's a couple of hotels near the arena (Homewood Suites by Hilton and Four Points by Sheraton) but I'm not sure on the prices (since I live here). There's also a bunch of restaurants in Natomas (Jack's Urban Eats...is quick and tasty). If you want a better selection of food you'll have to go downtown though (which is only 10-15 minutes away from the Arena). I used to live in North Natomas (that's the name of the area the arena is in) and it's a safe area to walk around. I'll be at the concert too...l went last night to Oakland and am ready to rock out some more!
Old October 21st 2011, 01:14 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiRSq View Post
There's a couple of hotels near the arena (Homewood Suites by Hilton and Four Points by Sheraton) but I'm not sure on the prices (since I live here). There's also a bunch of restaurants in Natomas (Jack's Urban Eats...is quick and tasty). If you want a better selection of food you'll have to go downtown though (which is only 10-15 minutes away from the Arena). I used to live in North Natomas (that's the name of the area the arena is in) and it's a safe area to walk around. I'll be at the concert too...l went last night to Oakland and am ready to rock out some more!
Thanks for the tips on the hotels and the assurance that North Natomas is safe!!
Old October 21st 2011, 03:51 AM
Visiting is pretty...

North Natomas is fine. You can go to B.J.'s Restaurant and Brewhouse, if that's your thing, for example:

3531 N. Freeway Blvd.,
Sacramento, CA 95834
(916) 570-1327 () ‎
Old October 21st 2011, 04:53 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
North Natomas is fine. You can go to B.J.'s Restaurant and Brewhouse, if that's your thing, for example:

3531 N. Freeway Blvd.,
Sacramento, CA 95834
(916) 570-1327 () ‎
Thanks for the tip!
Old October 21st 2011, 03:21 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I do live in Sacramento, and you've been getting pretty good advice. Power Balance (hurts to say that after being Arco Arena for so long) is a little removed from hotspots. As some folks have mentioned, there are definitely places to drink nearby in Natomas (many that I've hit up before Kings games), but the "cooler" spots will most likely been in the Downtown area.
Old October 21st 2011, 06:07 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Haha - thanks for the joke!

Trichristina - sure - if she has any thoughts on a decent place - I would love to hear it! Locals have great info! thanks so much!
So my niece says downtown is your best bet for cool bars. She says de Vere's www.deverespub.com on 15th & L st. is very relaxed but nice and not too divey. Or, Dive Bar http://divebarsacramento.com/index-home.html on 11th & K st. is casual and cool with a mermaid swimming in a tank (who knew?). I wonder what that job is like. I'll let you know if I hear of any other recommendations.