Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 20th 2011, 10:51 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default how early should i go to the venue?

So.. after the Oakland concert, I am seriously considering going to the Sacramento one! I had crappy seats last night and so I'm thinking of getting floor tix this time (by myself! hah.). Question though, I'd like to get the best freakin view possible on the floor (front or aisle), how early do people usually get there? I suppose people wait hours in line to get the best floor spots. I'm willing to wait for hourssss
Old October 20th 2011, 10:54 PM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: how early should i go to the venue?

I dont know the answer to your question - but I can tell you this: after seeing the PHX show - I knew I had to get another one in. So I just bought a ticket for Sacramento too!!!
Old October 20th 2011, 11:02 PM
Visiting is pretty...

that's awesome! have to get permission from my hubby first. he's serving overseas and i'm pretty damn sure he's going to have issues with me going by myself. but after last night, i have to at least try. and i really want to get some floor tix and they're selling them a bit pricey at stubhub. so lots to consider!
Old October 20th 2011, 11:04 PM
I'll Stick Around

yeah - my husband is/was a bit wary too. But, I told him I wouldnt walk anywhere - just cabs. Now need to find a decent place to stay. I am trying to decide between close and somewhat cheaper (and closer to airport as I am flying in) or a hotel that has a decent bar very near by (some I only break the "no walking" rule a little)
Old October 20th 2011, 11:13 PM
Colors inside the lines

It kind of depends on the venue. I've done GA 4 times this tour and got to the rail each time. In LA we got in line 1:30 on Thursday and 3:30 on Friday. In St. Louis we got in line at 4:30 and got rail. It helps if you have a partner so if one of you gets shut out at the rail the other can hold a spot. Don't be shy. Spread out and claim your space.

*wears a helmet at all times*
Old October 20th 2011, 11:25 PM
Visiting is pretty...

thanks cheryl! your response helps. unfortunately, i'm gonna have to fly solo on this one so it'll be a bit tricky not having someone w/ me. but hopefully hubby gives me permission. i'm gonna play the "it's my birthday month" card and hopefully he buys it
Old October 20th 2011, 11:36 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I went to the show last night and had GA access. I wasn't gunning for the rail though. I'm too old for that shit, but I could see the runway setup for the stage when I went in to see Cage the Elephant. I had fun watching people run from the front to the middle during some parts of the show.

Anyway, I was still pretty close up (between the soundboard and the stage)' but I was just on the side rail. I simply walked up after Cage the Elephant's set and I was fine. I guess if you want to get closer you'd just have to go during one of the warm-up band's sets. I can't imagine that the Sacramento crowd would be more hardcore or agro than Oakland. (And the Oakland crowd was pretty friendly.)

If I weren't one of those old azz 40-somethings and, therefore, tired, I'd join you.

"Fall seven times a day, stand up eight." - Japanese Proverb

“All truth is good, but not all truth is good to say.” - African Proverb

Last edited by BonitaApplebum : October 20th 2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old October 21st 2011, 12:49 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_nessa View Post
thanks cheryl! your response helps. unfortunately, i'm gonna have to fly solo on this one so it'll be a bit tricky not having someone w/ me. but hopefully hubby gives me permission. i'm gonna play the "it's my birthday month" card and hopefully he buys it
Get there a couple hours early (before openers start) or more and you'll get rail or very close. Alone or not, you'll have fun--everyone loves Foo Fighters!!!
Old October 21st 2011, 01:56 AM
Have you found your way around

Umm, why would you ask for permission? You're an adult, it's your own business what you do with your free time, especially since he's away.

There's really no safety issues, you can usually park in the venue's lot (though it could be a bit pricey), and there'll be lots of people around afterwards when you walk to your car. Same goes for GA - if you're scared about being pushed, just go to the front rail a bit out on the side. That spot should also still be available if you're not there super early. Or you could try standing at the back by the little stage at the end of the walkway.

it really depends on the venue, weather, weekday & other stuff..we lined up for LA shows at 2:00 and 12:30, and got a very nice spot both times. In San Diego & Oakland I got in at around 6:30, and still got front row - had some very nice people saving me a spot - but even without that I probably still could've been front row side or along the walkway rail.

I've been to loads of shows alone, and it really shouldn't be a problem. When you're outside waiting, people will also hold your spot if you have to use the bathroom etc., especially in the US, which has probably the most quiet & civilized lines and shows I've seen.
Old October 21st 2011, 02:19 AM
Visiting is pretty...

thank you for the responses i'm still on the fence but we'll see. as for getting the green light from the hubby, it's really quite necessary. he's overseas fighting the terrorists so his opinion matters given the situation. i don't want to add to his worries. he's very protective and such a worrywart, as you can imagine. but enough about my marriage.. really stoked to see the foo again, fingers crossed
Old October 21st 2011, 02:34 AM
Have you found your way around

What does where he is & what he's doing have to do with what you'll be doing? My family worries about me too, but that's never stopped me from traveling or going to concerts. Seriously..it's your life, why should you have to sit at home all alone instead of enjoying yourself?
Anyway, if you do end up going, have fun.
Old October 21st 2011, 02:55 AM
Colors inside the lines

Everyone's relationships are different. I've been married a long time and neither of us would ever tell the other what we can and cannot do. We always consider each other's opinions and feelings but are okay doing things on our own. To each his own.

Old October 21st 2011, 03:03 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
thank you for the responses i'm still on the fence but we'll see. as for getting the green light from the hubby, it's really quite necessary. he's overseas fighting the terrorists so his opinion matters given the situation. i don't want to add to his worries. he's very protective and such a worrywart, as you can imagine. but enough about my marriage.. really stoked to see the foo again, fingers crossed
Wait. When is the show? (For some reason I thought it was tonight.) Hold on there. It's on the 1st? I ~might~ be out of town (I'm considering a road-trip up to Seattle). However, if I don't do that, I'm probably going to this show! If you think it will make him feel better, I'll go with you if safety is an issue. I'm in the Bay Area too.

Not that you know me and blah blah blah, but you could tell him that you're going with someone else and that might put him at ease a bit.

Old October 21st 2011, 03:17 AM
Visiting is pretty...

yeah, it was re-scheduled to the nov1.

and um, about what i can or can't do or what he won't or will let me do, it's really between me and hubby so sorry i had to bring it up.. now i realize this is not the best place to share that. i see what y'all are trying to say, i get it. but unless you're married to a soldier and you're constantly worried if the phone call would be your last, then it would be really hard to understand why i don't want him to worry about me. sacrifices are a part of the military life.

but yeah, this thread is about foo, nothing more nothing less so thanks for the input everyone. i'll let y'all know if i end up going to the sacramento gig. stubhub prices are so high so that's also a huge factor on my decision.
Old October 21st 2011, 03:35 AM
Visiting is pretty...

If you stand in line a few minutes before doors are supposed to open, you should be fine IMO.
Old October 21st 2011, 03:50 AM
Sparkle Aficionado

When did Foo concerts become so dangerous that spouses are worried about people attending? Just seems odd....

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
--James Madison, (1751-1836)

History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.
-Thurgood Marshall, (1908-1993)

Team NIN - Secretary
Old October 21st 2011, 03:51 AM
The Boss

Wait, who's in the military? Mingo, is it you? Thank you for your service!
Old October 21st 2011, 04:04 AM
Colors inside the lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Wait, who's in the military? Mingo, is it you? Thank you for your service!
Not me, but I was an Army wife for 6 years. The hubby is a Viet Nam era veteran. You can thank him

Old October 21st 2011, 04:32 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
yeah, it was re-scheduled to the nov1.

and um, about what i can or can't do or what he won't or will let me do, it's really between me and hubby so sorry i had to bring it up.. now i realize this is not the best place to share that. i see what y'all are trying to say, i get it. but unless you're married to a soldier and you're constantly worried if the phone call would be your last, then it would be really hard to understand why i don't want him to worry about me. sacrifices are a part of the military life.

but yeah, this thread is about foo, nothing more nothing less so thanks for the input everyone. i'll let y'all know if i end up going to the sacramento gig. stubhub prices are so high so that's also a huge factor on my decision.
I get it. I lived abroad for awhile in a country where the US military is based and a lot of my friends are in the service. I was just addressing what you mentioned about him being concerned. If going with another female would make him feel at ease, I was offering.

I hope you'll be able to make it. I'm still waiting for word on whether it's a road trip to Seattle or not. If it is, I'll probably try to go down to the Bridge School Benefit instead as it's a great cause to support and it's a great line-up.

Old October 21st 2011, 04:57 AM
I'll Stick Around

I hope you can make it, Nessa - whatever is right for both of you (I just hope its the concert! )

See - now it could really be you, and me and Bonita - all there together (sorta!)