Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 17th 2012, 12:33 PM
The Sidekick

Default Re: Pretty sure this a complete Million $ Demo minus vox

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFighter0234 View Post
Why and how do you have all this info?
Nate let him in the vault.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old May 17th 2012, 02:01 PM
Have you found your way around

Cant believe I now know even the song sequence of the MDDs but still Im unable to hear the damn thing..

Oh well, still happy for those two songs we already got!
Old May 17th 2012, 02:43 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy View Post
I have it as

1. All my life
2. Comeback
3. Halo
4. Walking a line
5. Have it all
6. Normal
7. Burn Away
8. The one
9. Lonely as you
10. Overdrive
11. Tired of you

But like Simon said, this is probably just how it was set out at that point in time?!
Is the MDD version of The One the same as the single?
Old May 17th 2012, 02:46 PM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Low wasn't on the originals?! THANK GOD they went back!! Prolly my fave on 1x1! And it needs to be played more.
Old May 17th 2012, 03:00 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBaller2k5 View Post
Is the MDD version of The One the same as the single?
Yes because that was finished in November 2001, long before the MDDs were created. They didn't re-record it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Low wasn't on the originals?! THANK GOD they went back!! Prolly my fave on 1x1! And it needs to be played more.
Yep, that, 'Times Like These' and 'Disenchanted Lullaby' were all written by Dave after they scrapped the first recordings.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old May 17th 2012, 04:16 PM
Between the handshake and the f***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Maybe "Low", "Times Like These" and "Disenchanted Lullaby" were songs they attempted in the first recording sessions with different titles. They could be "Asshole", "Attica!", "New Wave 2", "Tears for Beers", "Spooky Tune", "Full Mount" or "Bottomed Out".

I left out of the list "Knucklehead" (Brian May wrote the song and it's in dropped A tuning) and "Tom Petty" (I remember reading somewhere this was turned into "Halo", but also could be an earlier version of "Wheels").

Maybe "New Wave 2" could be Times Like These, since Dave said at the time that it has a "post-punk New York new wave theme guitar line".
Old May 17th 2012, 04:53 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soares View Post
Maybe "Low", "Times Like These" and "Disenchanted Lullaby" were songs they attempted in the first recording sessions with different titles. They could be "Asshole", "Attica!", "New Wave 2", "Tears for Beers", "Spooky Tune", "Full Mount" or "Bottomed Out".

I left out of the list "Knucklehead" (Brian May wrote the song and it's in dropped A tuning) and "Tom Petty" (I remember reading somewhere this was turned into "Halo", but also could be an earlier version of "Wheels").

Maybe "New Wave 2" could be Times Like These, since Dave said at the time that it has a "post-punk New York new wave theme guitar line".
No, there is an interview with Dave and T where they said those three songs were new. Also Brian May can't have written Knucklehead because Dave posted about them recording it at 606 in November but Brian didn't join with them until January at Conway. Unless he wrote it before any of these sessions? Where does the tuning info come from?

--
Old May 17th 2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
Where does the tuning info come from?
Kerrang!, 2001.

"What's the best song you've written this year?
Well, it's a tie. There's a song which is tentatively titled 'Knucklehead', which is tuned down to A and it's the closest thing you're going to get to Van Halen's 'Fair Warning'. It's pretty kick-ass. Then there's a song called 'Halo' that I'm pretty proud of. I can't wait to get in and record them. 'Knucklehead' is like a steamroller and 'Halo' is like NoMeansNo meets The Police or something like that."

I remember they had Knucklehead on the Paladino's (08/03/01) setlist right before Stacked Actors (which is in the same tunning), but skipped it.

About Brian May, this was posted by OldFooFan, which I consider a source always well-informed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFooFan View Post
Brian May wrote the song for the Foo Fighters. It probably wasn't used because it's more like a Brian May song and not much like a Foo song.
The other information that I wrote were just speculation.
Old May 17th 2012, 06:50 PM
The Sidekick

Ok, thanks. Since that is Dave saying he wrote it I guess OFF was wrong for once.

It's interesting that two songs they spoke highly of, this and 'Get Up I Want To Get Down' neither were released.

--
Old May 17th 2012, 07:09 PM
The Sidekick

Also this MTV article says they played 'Tears For Beers' at Paladino's....

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/144...wannabes.jhtml

We have them down as playing 'New Wave', so are they the same? They're obviously both only temporary titles.Was anyone here at the show?

--
Old May 17th 2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Also this MTV article says they played 'Tears For Beers' at Paladino's....

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/144...wannabes.jhtml

We have them down as playing 'New Wave', so are they the same? They're obviously both only temporary titles.Was anyone here at the show?
So this could mean that we were wrong all of these years thinking that 'New Wave' was played once live and the song they really performed was 'Tears for Beers'?

I think there was a photo of the setlist at the Blackbox at the old official site. Everybody must have thought 'New Wave' was played based on that, but I don't know if Dave had mentioned the words "New" and "Wave" before the song.
Old May 17th 2012, 08:33 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
About Brian May, this was posted by OldFooFan, which I consider a source always well-informed:
I appreciate the compliment. Pretty sure I was wrong, though. I think I just assumed May wrote the song when Dave or Chris or someone in the band had said they weren't sure how they were going to play it live.
Old May 18th 2012, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy View Post
I have it as

1. All my life
2. Comeback
3. Halo
4. Walking a line
5. Have it all
6. Normal
7. Burn Away
8. The one
9. Lonely as you
10. Overdrive
11. Tired of you

But like Simon said, this is probably just how it was set out at that point in time?!
Someone - as anonymous - please leak the full Lonely As You! That is such a kick as clip!
Old May 18th 2012, 10:54 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
So this could mean that we were wrong all of these years thinking that 'New Wave' was played once live and the song they really performed was 'Tears for Beers'?

I think there was a photo of the setlist at the Blackbox at the old official site. Everybody must have thought 'New Wave' was played based on that, but I don't know if Dave had mentioned the words "New" and "Wave" before the song.
It is interesting, we know MTV were actually at the show so it's not like they were reporting second hand information. We need to find someone who was at the show, they might be able to shed some light, maybe even if the song they played was something we know it would reveal what 'Tears For Beers' was a working title for.

I'm sure someone here was at the show, I remember it being in their signature. People here were obviously at the Troubadour show because it was a postboard show.

--
Old May 20th 2012, 04:11 AM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
It is interesting, we know MTV were actually at the show so it's not like they were reporting second hand information. We need to find someone who was at the show, they might be able to shed some light, maybe even if the song they played was something we know it would reveal what 'Tears For Beers' was a working title for.

I'm sure someone here was at the show, I remember it being in their signature. People here were obviously at the Troubadour show because it was a postboard show.
People were describing the song as heavy, I remember that.

Old May 20th 2012, 08:06 AM
my tits are also out for Simon

Quote:

Going by the setlist on your site it was played between Next Year which is standard tuning and Weenie Beenie which is a weird drop tuning (low E string down to C, A string down to G) so it would almost surely have to be in one of those tunings. I suppose it's possible to play Walking A Line in the same tuning as Weenie Beenie but it wouldn't make sense to (it's more likely to be in drop D down a whole step). So that would mean it is in standard tuning. Only 5 songs on OBO are in standard tuning:

All My Life
Come Back
Have It All
Disenchanted Lullaby
Times Like These

It can't be the last two because those weren't written until after the MDD's. So the only way it (Teers For Beers) could be where New Wave was written on the set and be a working title for a song that eventually made it on the album it would have to be one of the first three.

Hope that makes sense to people, it is late here.
Old May 20th 2012, 01:04 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T. View Post
Going by the setlist on your site it was played between Next Year which is standard tuning and Weenie Beenie which is a weird drop tuning (low E string down to C, A string down to G) so it would almost surely have to be in one of those tunings. I suppose it's possible to play Walking A Line in the same tuning as Weenie Beenie but it wouldn't make sense to (it's more likely to be in drop D down a whole step). So that would mean it is in standard tuning. Only 5 songs on OBO are in standard tuning:

All My Life
Come Back
Have It All
Disenchanted Lullaby
Times Like These

It can't be the last two because those weren't written until after the MDD's. So the only way it (Teers For Beers) could be where New Wave was written on the set and be a working title for a song that eventually made it on the album it would have to be one of the first three.

Hope that makes sense to people, it is late here.
I'm following yes. It can't have been All My Life because that already had the title long before the show. Could be Come Back or Have It All but you'd assume those titles would have been final pretty much straight away, given the lyrics. So it could well have been an unheard song. However there is the possibility that the setlist on my site is in the wrong order.

We really need someone at the show really, if they can remember what it was.

--
Old May 20th 2012, 01:29 PM

Maybe make a thread for it, to call them out?
10-06-2010 Them Crooked Vultures, Heineken Music Hall
13-06-2011 Foo Fighters, Pinkpop

Deku Palace - Kraid's Lair - Storm Eagle
Old May 20th 2012, 01:59 PM
The Sidekick

Could do. I'm trying to remeber the username of the person who had it in their sig, I think I even PM'd them about the show in general but I can't find it.

I found a couple of articles on the show but neither clear it up.

http://web.archive.org/web/200406060...ooFighters.htm

This NME article even creates a new title:
http://www.nme.com/reviews/5542

I can't find my clip of GBMB but I'm sure he says that about getting a new car after that song, doesn't he?

EDIT: On a funnier note, lolz at what someone has put the setlist down as on setlist.fm:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/foo-fi...-1bdee9b8.html

That's why a setlist wiki is not a good idea.

EDIT2: This post - http://bbs.foofighters.com/showpost....32&postcount=6 suggests New Wave was on the setlist for the Troubadour show.

EDIT3: In this old thread someone says the song they play at the start of the IYH documentary (Labelled by someone as 'New Wave' but not confirmed) was played at soundcheck in 2003. http://bbs.foofighters.com/showthread.php?t=14700 Another - http://bbs.foofighters.com/showthread.php?t=115119

Since in another thread that I just lost Tim said the 'New Wave' played in 2001 was scrapped it's safe to say the one played at soundcheck in 2003 and on the IYH DVD is a different song, if it was even given the title 'New Wave' again.

Still following?

EDIT4: I finally found the source of someone calling that IYH jam 'New Wave' - http://bbs.foofighters.com/showthread.php?t=13931

Still, even if that is true I still think they're two different songs. One from the 2001 era and played live (possibly), one from the 2003/4 era. Tim already confirmed that years ago, that New Wave is a title they've used for lots of songs.

Oh wait I totally forgot, that jam on the IYH doc is an embryonic version of White Limo isn't it. Interesting...

--

Last edited by Simon : May 20th 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old May 20th 2012, 04:44 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
I can't find my clip of GBMB but I'm sure he says that about getting a new car after that song, doesn't he?
A car and a pool!

There's an MP3 here: http://taradublinonline.com/2009/hell-yeah-i-remember/