Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 23rd 2012, 03:38 PM
The Sidekick

Default Re: Pretty sure this a complete Million $ Demo minus vox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soares View Post
I have many old annotations i did with old posts from the board, fan sites and people i used to chat circa 1999~2003. This quote is from the road notes from the Blackbox, i think.

I still have descriptions and photos of the Paladino's and Troubador shows somewhere.
Ok, thanks. Forgot about the blackbox, you can get at most of it on archive.org. It says this for 08/03 Paladino's:

Quote:
My Hero
Learn To Fly
Generator
See You
I'll Stick Around
Next Year
New Wave
Weenie Beenie
Knucklehead (not played)
Stacked Actors
Monkey Wrench
MIA
Everlong
Breakout (not played)

[]....My Poor Brain made the cut, as well as MIA and Alone+Easy Target. So at around 11:15 the Foos came onstage! I was sooo stoked at this point, cuz it had been 8 long hours to this! They taped down the setlist, and while I tried not to look (I like to be surprised, just like at Cheap Trick shows), the ppl around me were reading it to me, so it was unavoidable. {Part 2} Ok, so, I'm lookin' at the setlist, and I see good things - MIA, one of my fave songs, and 2 new songs. I wish My Poor Brain had been on there, or Alone + Easy Target, but heck... My Hero (opened with this one...and at this point I realized the sound was pretty bad and was gonna stay bad for the whole show LOL)...but still bad-ass Learn to Fly (I'm so over this song. The only fun thing live is watching Dave's leg bounce up and down when he plays it.) At this point Dave said, "Jesus it got hot in here all of sudden. Hey everybody, do me a favor, and just like, stop breathing for about 3 minutes so it'll cool down in here." Generator (Yessss) See You (Dave introduced this one by saying, "This is a little dancey-dancey one...This one is about being in love with someone. Or maybe just going out on date with them. Like, is anyone here on a first date? Just hold her hand, and maybe you'll get something later tonight. But NOT sex. Come on, it's a first date! Don't DO that." LOL) I'll Stick Around (So hot, they nearly burned the place down with this song. LOL What a lame cliche) After the song, Dave started talkin' about the Valley. "Yeah, this show is for all you Valley kids...Actually, I need to shut up cuz I don't live here and I don't know anything about the Valley." (Basically, I'll break it down for ya - the Valley is the uncool part of L.A. 'Nuff said.) Next Year (Dave intro'd, "As seen on TV." Cuz it's the theme song for that show "Ed." I'm sorry, I just don't care for this song. It's too blah.) Dave was complaining that it was too hot, and he needed water. A minute later the waitress brought up 4 shots of something pinkish-red. No clue what it was. Dave downed it and then quipped, "Yeah, great, right before the new one. Fucking wonderful." LOL It WAS sooo hot in there. My hair, by the third song, was completely soaked with sweat. Oooh there's a nasty visual, eh? New Wave (A bitchin' new one. Heavy, with a badass riff.) Weenie Beenie!!! (I don't understand the words, I never will, but it still kicks ass.) At some point Dave said, "By the way, we are the OPENING ACT tonight for the motherfuckin' Atomic Punks! THEY'RE the headliners tonight! They fuckin' rock!" Knucklehead (now, this is a new song, or at least, not one on any of the 3 albums I have... this was written on the setlist, but they didn't do it. ) Stacked Actors (earlier in the show, someone had thrown up a paper airplane and it was on the stage in front of Dave. I had an inspiration. I unfolded it, took my Sharpie, and wrote, "Courtney Sucks!" on it. I held it up and Dave looked at it, shook his head, and covered his eyes with his hands. I turned it around and it got some applause. Yeah yeah, Dave doesn't (or isn't allowed to) comment on Courtney. But I just wanted him to know that I feel his pain Dave asked for some ice water. Nobody did anything. Monkey Wrench (Leading up to the breakdown part, the "One last thing before I quit" part, Dave declared, "I can't do this part without some ice water first." Someone gave him a bottle of water, and he pulled the prima donna thing to be funny: "This doesn't have ICE! Where's the ice?" Then he took it, opened it, and poured the water on the stage while exasperatingly (ok, that's probably not a word, but whatever) tapping his foot like a spoiled brat. It was hilarious. I wanna marry Dave. He would keep me laughing all day. During this whole time Taylor was on the drums, still keeping the beat going, and flipping Dave off. LOL Then Dave turned back to the mic, and someone in the crowd started throwing ice at him. LOL He said, "YES! Yes! Don't stop, gimme more!" He finally finished the song. MIA (They played the first few bars of MIA, and Dave looked confused. He started singing the correct first line, but then stopped and said, "I can't remember the fuckin' words to the song! What's the first line?" I yelled out, "Call and I'll answer!" He looks at me and bends down and goes, "What?" I go, "Call and I'll answer!" He goes, "Yeah, I think you're right!" or something like that? and starts the song. Do you understand, I HELPED MR. DAVE GROHL WITH SONG LYRICS????? And this is particularly special because MIA is one of my favorite Foo songs. Everlong (at this point the crowd started to get really nasty. Crowd surfing, pushing, shoving, you name it. The worst part was, the stage was not high at all. It went to just below my knees. I kept getting thrown over onto the monitor. Thank god for that monitor, boy. I was mainly scared of getting tossed ON to the stage, and then getting thrown out. I wasn't trying to be flung up on stage, believe me, but there was just no where else to go. I managed to hold my ground, just barely. The area below my knees is black and blue, and I look like someone took a baseball bat to my kneecaps. LOL That's the price of front row at the Foo. DAMNIT it was SOOO worth it, though. I thought my legs were gonna get broken. D'oh! I held on to the big guy, Keith, for dear life. He and all the other front row guys (me and one girl were the only chicks in the front) were responsible for keeping that front row together, baby. Amen to them. At one point Dave saw what was happening, and he slowed down the music and said, "Hey, I wanna say somethin' to the 'moshers' out there - guys, fucking chill out, ok? It's not cool! The girls up here...I like them up here, you know, and they're getting crushed. And that ain't cool. I want all the girls up by me." Thank you Dave, but it didn't really work. Here's what pissed me off...Dave saw that at this point it would be good idea to stop, so even though Breakout was written on the setlist, they didn't end with it. They stopped with Everlong. You know, you can push me up to the stage and knock me against the fuckin' monitors and kick me in the head...but DON'T be responsible for the band cutting a song.[]
So that is where your snippit comes from. For Troubadour:

Quote:
Monkeywrench
Learn to Fly
My Hero
Aurora
Stacked Actors
I'll Stick Around
Next Year
Generator
New Wave (not played)
MIA
Everlong
Gun Beside My Bed
This is a Call

Ain't it the Life
Wind Up (not played)
Breakout

Here is my review of the Troubadour show. [].and then our good pal Chad Smith sat in for an EXPLOSIVE Somebody Get Me a Doctor, straight off of VH2 and into our BRAINS! He totally killed that drum set - the look in his eye was that of a man POSSESSED. Being a drummer myself, I love to see someone really ATTACK the set like that. KILLER. And if it couldn't get any better, Taylor got behind the drums for the closer Everybody Wants Some, and Dave came out for the chorus!! TWO DAVES ON STAGE!! IT WAS A ROCK OVERLOAD. The energy was unstoppable - and the crowd loved it all. I was literally exhausted after their set. Praise to Atomic Punks, who have replaced the actual Van Halen on my list.

Next up was everyone's favs, the Foos. Monkeywrench was first out, and it kills everytime. SUCH ROCK! Dave joked about having to play some festival dates and the "same songs again". He did quite a bit of talking and interacting with us, as we berated him with worthless requests. Dave also graciously accepted some gifts, which was very cool. Being that close to the stage was great, and that's how I realized that Taylor is a HEAVY HITTER for sure. He PUMMELS the set. The new song, (the name I don't know) was really catchy/breezy. I'm looking forward to hearing more of it. The setlist featured classic song selection: Next Year, My Hero, This Is A Call, I'll Stick Around, MIA, and Generator to name a few. Chad Smith got behind the kit briefly during Ain't It The Life, allowing Taylor to provide some excellent backing vocals. It was a beautiful moment. Chris' cowboy hat makes the slide guitar sound more AUTHENTIC. And to not leave Nate out of it, he is great as always. Breakout was the closer, sending us home happy and me without a voice.

After the show, Dave was very cool in meeting us fans waiting outside. He was kind enough to pose in a picture with me, and I wanted to talk to him about how he inspired me to play drums and literally changed my life, but all I could get out was some nervous gibberish. Hopefully Dave is reading this - thanks for everything man.

Overall, quite possibly the greatest show I've been to in my life. Van Halen/Foos just doesn't get any better. Great atmosphere, great rock, great time. Oh yeah, and a great thing about having only website winners there was the fact that no meatheads were in attendence, looking to kick the crap out of people in the pit. We all got to rock out to our favorite band without fear of getting destroyed. Again, thanks to Foos!! ROCK FOREVER.

So there you go.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old May 24th 2012, 04:47 AM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevthedrummer View Post
I think I remember what you mean actually, was it the intro in the short video that came before "Tighter and Tighter" called "how to make a rock n roll record" or words to that effect? It was a wmv posted on the home page...

I remember thinking it sounded alright, but someone confirmed later that it was an apple loop or something. Will try to track this down.
I don't know, I remember the guitars stressing 7ths on the offbeat (for the musicians out there.)

Old May 25th 2012, 06:54 AM
I'll Stick Around

sorry. ive been on hiatus from the board. Tim... do you really want someone to do what you requested way back in the beginning of this thread? this whole thread is madness.
Aug 18 2006 - Atlantic City NJ
April 29 2003 - Camden NJ
July 14 2000 - Holmdel NJ
May 15 1998 - Wayne NJ
May 7 1998 - New York NY
Old May 25th 2012, 07:07 AM
The Boss

i requested nothing........

tighter and tigher is the "end over end" ending..........we all know that, right?

cauuse that's what it is........

ideas and titles get kicked around a lot with this band, and all i got to offer on the insanity for palladinos/troubadour is

1) it sucks picking winners for a contest show you cant afford to fly to
2) they played one new song at paladinos, and another new song (which become overdriver) at troubadour
3) "new wave" has been a working title since colour and the shape.......
4) "comfortable" sucks...............
Old May 25th 2012, 07:11 AM
The Boss

Quote:
Didn't someone have a 20 second clip of this mystery song . . . I seem to remember it had a Have It All type vibe to it, but in a higher register and a more pounding beat . . . I don't know what it was, but it wasn't White Limo. Am I crazy for remembering this?
The one about who parties hard but nobody partiies than the foo fighters in the studio with the cricket noises at the end?
Old May 25th 2012, 07:14 AM
I'll Stick Around

okay then. well... i sent you a PM awhile back. check it out.
May 15 1998 - Wayne NJ
May 7 1998 - New York NY
Old May 25th 2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
The one about who parties hard but nobody partiies than the foo fighters in the studio with the cricket noises at the end?
I don't remember any schtick, just a lyricless piece of music, like an introduction. And 7ths being played on the 2cnd and 4th beats.

Old May 26th 2012, 04:36 AM
Have you found your way around

I remember somewhere in this thread Simon mentioned a show he has recorded that the band doesn't want to get released. I tried finding it but got tired after the 5th page. So...which show is it and why doesn't the band want it leaked?
Old May 26th 2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUalum06 View Post
I remember somewhere in this thread Simon mentioned a show he has recorded that the band doesn't want to get released. I tried finding it but got tired after the 5th page. So...which show is it and why doesn't the band want it leaked?
I'm sure there is a soundboard recording in the band's possession, but he's referring to something someone recorded personally for themselves.

Old May 26th 2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Stacked Actor View Post
I'm sure there is a soundboard recording in the band's possession, but he's referring to something someone recorded personally for themselves.
oh...so the person who recorded it doesn't want it released?
Old May 26th 2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
oh...so the person who recorded it doesn't want it released?
Not right now . . . there were a few rare covers played at the show, but the setlist wasn't mindblowing as far as I thought.

Old May 26th 2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Not right now . . . there were a few rare covers played at the show, but the setlist wasn't mindblowing as far as I thought.
any idea what reasons the recorder has for not wanting it released? other than the "i've got something you do not" attitude you previously discussed.
Old May 26th 2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
any idea what reasons the recorder has for not wanting it released? other than the "i've got something you do not" attitude you previously discussed.
There really isn't a good reason I can think of, put it that way.

Old May 26th 2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
There really isn't a good reason I can think of, put it that way.
hmmmm. sounds douchy.
Old May 26th 2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
hmmmm. sounds douchy.
Well, what are you gonna do? Some people like to hoard their stuff.

Old May 26th 2012, 10:23 AM
Visiting is pretty...

So, anyone up to make me a present for my 20th birthday by giving me the full demo ?
Old May 26th 2012, 11:57 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Basically because it's their recording and they can do with it as they please.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old May 26th 2012, 02:01 PM
Fanfarrão

Stop being cry babies man! They'll come out eventually, leave the owners to their things, we don't know what they went through to get them in the first place!
Old May 26th 2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro View Post
Stop being cry babies man! !
I don't think it makes someone a crybaby to openly lament about things other people make a point to mention they have (and cannot share.)

Old May 26th 2012, 06:58 PM
I'll Stick Around

people ask constantly if anyone has it, and some people do, but cant share it for one reason or another. i dont see how that is being a jerk.

look at this this way... for the most part, the lost record has stayed in safe hands as the band intended it to. quite a feat in this era of music trading.
May 15 1998 - Wayne NJ
May 7 1998 - New York NY