Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 28th 2015, 04:43 PM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Default Re: Tour setlists discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It was pretty good. Winnebago straight into Wattershed, just like the good 'ol days.
...into For All The Cows and Exhausted.

I swear, that encore (hell, that setlist in general) was one of the best I've seen them do (as a more recent attendee than some others).

I've no specific problem with covers, although I'd rather hear less of them and more Foo songs I've not heard as regularly. But I'd take a cover I've not heard ahead of Learn To Fly etc.
Old January 28th 2015, 05:37 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankey View Post
That said...it is fun to hear them play these songs. In the spirit of Sonic Highways, the band is presenting some great classic rock and will probably make a great number of new fans in the process.
What would be kinda cool and in the spirit of SH would be that at each gig they would do a local big hit with a local singer.

To represent the city / country etc. I think it wouldn´t be impossible, hits are easy to learn 99% of the time and DG wouldnt have to worry about singing. Long shot, I know but would be cool!
Old January 28th 2015, 10:36 PM
I'll Stick Around

I dig the covers. They don't always play it, but Ain't Talkin' Bout Love is my jam. I wouldn't trade the chance of hearing that live for anything. But I think the covers need to be better integrated into the setlist. A block of covers, in my opinion, gets tiresome, especially when they aren't playing very many songs from the new album per show (because of the anticipation of wondering which of their songs they're gonna play next, and then it's just more covers). A cover or two can be a treat and a surprise if you're not expecting it and they throw it in. I hope that they can find a happy medium between playing covers, playing a bunch of their new songs, and resting Dave's voice, if need be. I think they definitely want to pay tribute with the covers, because if it's just about Dave's voice needing a rest, there are several of their own songs they could do. Personally, I would welcome the return of Next Year, perhaps in the acoustic sets, which I love. Just weighing in, I guess.
5/5/14 at 9:30 Club in DC
9/17/14 at The National in Richmond, VA
10/24/14 at Black Cat in DC
7/4/2015 at RFK 20th Anniversary Blowout in DC
7/13/15 at BB&C Pavillion in Camden, NJ
10/11/2017 at The Anthem in DC
10/12/2017 at The Anthem in DC
10/14/2017 at Richmond Coliseum in Richmond, VA

The 10 best nights of my life.
Old January 29th 2015, 01:56 AM
Times Like These

and they are back up to 5 covers:

Detroit Rock City
(KISS cover)
Tom Sawyer
(Rush cover)
Let There Be Rock
(AC/DC cover) (First time ever)
Stay With Me
(The Faces cover)
Under Pressure
(Queen & David Bowie cover) (Taylor & Dave on vocals)
05/01/2018 Rupp Arena, Lexington KY
07/26/2018 Noblesville Indiana

09/20/2019- Bourbon & Beyond Louisville KY
Old January 29th 2015, 02:40 AM
There's something out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrougeux View Post
and they are back up to 5 covers:

Detroit Rock City
(KISS cover)
Tom Sawyer
(Rush cover)
Let There Be Rock
(AC/DC cover) (First time ever)
Stay With Me
(The Faces cover)
Under Pressure
(Queen & David Bowie cover) (Taylor & Dave on vocals)
At least they've been consistently throwing in new ones. It would be a pretty cool model if they cut it back by two or three.
Old January 29th 2015, 04:30 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKid815 View Post
At least they've been consistently throwing in new ones. It would be a pretty cool model if they cut it back by two or three.
Let There Be Rock bodes well for an Australian tour airing.

Having said that, I'd prefer to see 25 Foo Fighters songs, than 20 Foo's songs and 5 x Karaoke songs.

Given that Foo's have never really played a proper "tour" of South America, I'm hoping they are just catching them up on their tackier acoustic moments (Wheels and the half/half Times Like These) that everyone else got 4 years ago, and the rest of the tour sees Feast and the Famine, Outside, Rope, and a bunch of older songs thrown in.

Fingers crossed anyway
Old January 29th 2015, 08:07 AM
I don't have a cofee problem.

What's up with Dave's voice where he needs to keep resting these days?

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old January 29th 2015, 09:36 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie Deanie View Post
Let There Be Rock bodes well for an Australian tour airing.

Having said that, I'd prefer to see 25 Foo Fighters songs, than 20 Foo's songs and 5 x Karaoke songs.

Given that Foo's have never really played a proper "tour" of South America, I'm hoping they are just catching them up on their tackier acoustic moments (Wheels and the half/half Times Like These) that everyone else got 4 years ago, and the rest of the tour sees Feast and the Famine, Outside, Rope, and a bunch of older songs thrown in.

Fingers crossed anyway
They played Outside and Rope in the first show in Brazil, the only one in which they crammed in 26 songs (they went down to 23 in the last 3 shows). Glad I was there!

I'd be surprised if they took out the accoustic moments from the tour, it seemed pretty important for the show structure and the B-stage follow up.
Old January 29th 2015, 11:07 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
What's up with Dave's voice where he needs to keep resting these days?
I don't think that is the key reason for the covers for the simple fact that two or three of them Dave sings lead vocals on.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old January 29th 2015, 11:10 AM
I don't have a cofee problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I don't think that is the key reason for the covers for the simple fact that two or three of them Dave sings lead vocals on.
That's what I thought, because if he wants to "rest" his voice surely he can take on something a bit slower for a while which doesn't need all the straining power.

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old January 29th 2015, 11:39 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
That's what I thought, because if he wants to "rest" his voice surely he can take on something a bit slower for a while which doesn't need all the straining power.
Ya maybe stop screaming so fucking much. Sing next year, I'm a river, they have plenty of slower stuff to save his fucking voice. Tom sawyer is pretty fucking cool cover.lol
electric factory,pa 11/2/2002
tweeter center,nj 4/29/2003
hammerstein,nyc 7/2/2003
hammerstein,nyc 7/3/2003
music midtown,atl 5/1/2004
continental,nj 10/14/2005
borgata,nj 8/18/2006
beacon,nyc 8/21/2006
irving plaza,nyc 9/20/2007
borgata,nj 10/13/2007
msg,nyc 2/19/08 +4 more
Old January 29th 2015, 12:02 PM
The Sidekick

So the current SH stats, discounting TV/radio shows and soundchecks, are thus:

Something From Nothing 18
Congregation 16
In The Clear 13
Outside 11
The Feast And The Famine 5
I Am A River 1
What Did I Do?/God As My Witness 1
Subterranean 1

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old January 29th 2015, 02:48 PM
Colors inside the lines

I'm surprised they are playing Congregation. There are so many others on SH I'd rather hear. I hear it played frequently on my local radio station-also surprising to me.

*wears a helmet at all times*
Old January 29th 2015, 04:23 PM
Visiting is pretty...

The Foo Fighters setlists or, more specifically, the lack of INTERESTING Foo Fighters setlist has long been a running joke with a good friend of mine. While I don't expect them to pull a Pearl Jam and switch it up that much it'd be nice if we'd get, oh, ONE deep cut each show. I always thought a unique idea would be to keep these songs constant:

Monkeywrench
Everlong
My Hero
Learn To Fly
All My Life
Times Like These
Best Of You
The Pretender
Rope
Walk
These Days

So, there you have the 11 standard radio staples that Joe and Jill six-pack want to hear. For the other 10-12 songs, make them somewhat different each night. It would add a new thrill to the show and, again, if you're just a casual fan that wants to sip beer and sing along, you're not really going to care if you take a bathroom break during "Watershed" or "Overdrive".

Finally, is there anyone who can raise their hand who has EVER thought going into a Foo Fighters show "Man, I REALLY hope they play Cold Day In The Sun!"

-Phil

P.S. the excessive cover thing is a cheap arena rock gimmick that bugs me but, then again, I am a product of the early/mid 90's alternative nation so it is probably just engrained in my DNA to hate that shit
Old January 29th 2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil507 View Post
Finally, is there anyone who can raise their hand who has EVER thought going into a Foo Fighters show "Man, I REALLY hope they play Cold Day In The Sun!"
ME! In 2005 on the IYH tour I really wanted to hear the song, partly because DG drummed it then.. But it was a fun thing on that tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil507 View Post
P.S. the excessive cover thing is a cheap arena rock gimmick that bugs me but, then again, I am a product of the early/mid 90's alternative nation so it is probably just engrained in my DNA to hate that shit
Same here.
Old January 29th 2015, 05:40 PM

People butch n moan to varyin degrees about radio friendly hits in setlist. Fair enuff.

I'm just tryin to get my head round the Joe and Jill sixpack thang..
wouldn't consider Foo crowd to be mere Bubbas"
nor does I think DAVE ever think of em that ways

cheerios
Old January 29th 2015, 11:18 PM
Winnebago Life

I can't believe they played Let There Be Rock! One of my favorite AC/DC songs. Can't wait to see a video of it

EDIT

Here's a video of it, at 6:30 they start with Let There Be Rock. It cuts during the 3rd verse, so I don't know if they did the last solo and ending well or not.

Overall, it's epic to hear one of my favorite bands do a song from another of my favorite bands, but... they screwd up both solos and Dave should learn the words!! hahahaha

I don't think anybody's gonna read this, but the drum beat works way much better for the song with the kick and snare in quarters (4ths)

Last edited by matirocker : January 30th 2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old January 30th 2015, 04:46 PM
Make my way back home...

I was one of the people complaining about the covers, but after going to São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro shows I've changed my mind. The idea of the B Stage is great, during Times Like These when the band comes up it's just a ton of fun, the crowd goes nuts, and you can clearly see on their faces that they are having a blast playing there and those songs. It's just different being there than watching on TV or whatever.

And yes, I agree to someone that said they are trying to make new fans along the way and making this kind of make rock'n'roll alive vibe. It's really cool, wait 'til you see it live.

Although I do agree that they could insert some deep cuts into the set and the covers don't intefere on that matter at all. Breakout for instance was a grateful surprise. Worked very nice with the crowd. Big Me too.
Feb 25th 2018 - Maracanã - Rio de Janeiro/RJ (Concrete & Gold Tour)
Old January 30th 2015, 06:07 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luizim View Post
Although I do agree that they could insert some deep cuts into the set and the covers don't intefere on that matter at all. Breakout for instance was a grateful surprise. Worked very nice with the crowd. Big Me too.
Big Me was so fucking beautiful at Rio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZM-7NzdR6Q
Old January 30th 2015, 10:09 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luizim View Post
I was one of the people complaining about the covers, but after going to São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro shows I've changed my mind. The idea of the B Stage is great, during Times Like These when the band comes up it's just a ton of fun, the crowd goes nuts, and you can clearly see on their faces that they are having a blast playing there and those songs. It's just different being there than watching on TV or whatever.

And yes, I agree to someone that said they are trying to make new fans along the way and making this kind of make rock'n'roll alive vibe. It's really cool, wait 'til you see it live.

Man I am feeling my years if "Breakout" is considered a "Deep cut". That was a semi-successful single when I was in high school.