Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > FooFighters.com
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old May 7th 2005, 10:01 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Alright folks,

I'm sure i've posted this before but i've forgotten the reply (sorry)

I'm currently in the process of mass mailing press packs of my band to every gruddam record label we can find, as we've recently broken ties with an indie label who dicked us around.

Is there anyone linked with the Fighters, whether it be management or what not, who would accept a press pack? We're getting one sent to RCA but it'd be groovy if we could get one in from the inside.

Thanks,

Chazz.
Old May 7th 2005, 10:15 PM
The Boss

Silva Artist Management is their management company and you can find them on the web. I don't have the link on the computer I have with me. You'll have to wait until Monday if you want it.

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old May 8th 2005, 05:33 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Ah, Merci!
Old May 9th 2005, 12:37 AM
The Boss

Honestly, you might be wasting your time mailing anything to any major labels that haven't specifically requested it.

Some independent labels check stuff out if you mail it but you're more likely to get a return to sender from a major label. Legally, they can't open that stuff

And the same goes for Silva Artist Management or any of the major management companies that handle the big-league bands. They won't even open anything you send unless it goes through the proper channels.

Unfortunately your best bet is finding another local indie label, using things like myspace and mp3.com to get some free publicity, and latching onto a band that tours (serious tours, like 3+ weeks playing to a couple hundred people a night) who will take you out with them.

My friends had to basically be a local band for 2 years, then got a distribution deal with a Boston Punk/Hardcore label and their flagship band took em out for 3 tours before they were able to headline their own ones. After all that work, it was still a good 4 year process before they even got permission to goto labels like Nitro, Epitaph, SST, etc and send em the album and press kit.

Another tip: You're probably better off not bothering with US labels if you haven't played over this side of the pond. Most of em really only start to look at bands that get a reputation over here from lots of playing and hype building

Best of luck
Old May 10th 2005, 11:03 AM
I'll Stick Around

Agreed, most labels just bin the demo/press kit.

I was told once that Q sent 50 copies of a demo with artwork etc to 50 different companies. The actual CD was a blank one. Only 2 replied saying that there was a mix up and had only received a blank CD. The other 48 sent out standard letters 'not what we are looking for' 'we will track progress' etc - proving that they donít listen.

Its shit I know.

If you still want to send demos in, find a name of a A & R person or someone and send it to them marked UGENT REQUESTED MATERIAL. It may stop it getting thrown in the bin... but then again it may not, but it may be worth a try.

As Tym said: Gig. Gig. And Gig some more. get a buzz going about your band and people will start listening.

Good luck man, keep at it!
Old May 10th 2005, 11:21 AM
In too deep

Sub Pop are open to submissions but they say the best way to get signed is to build a fanbase and as you get bigger more people come to shows including record comapany executives.
Old May 14th 2005, 12:15 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Thanks for all the help, i'll give you the main details of the band.

In the last 10 months since we got together, we've done 33 gigs all around the country, released 2 E.P's and recorded half an album for release with an indie label until we decided we could no longer work with them.

We've attracted interest from, amongst others, BMG and EMI, and we've had people such as Ronnie Rocket (The Specials) give us heaps of praise and take CD's of the band.

We're currently planning a tour of the U.K and Europe with another band from here in a similar situation, with the U.S.A in our greater scheme of things.

In that sense, we're currently very established up at this end of the U.K and have built up a big fanbase all around the country, and so that is why we've decided to get these press packs off everywhere we can.

Thanks for the advice, I looked into Sub Pop and we're getting one off there, I thought they weren't running anymore so thank you!
Old May 14th 2005, 12:59 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally posted by chazzthedrummer:
Thanks for all the help, i'll give you the main details of the band.

In the last 10 months since we got together, we've done 33 gigs all around the country, released 2 E.P's and recorded half an album for release with an indie label until we decided we could no longer work with them.

We've attracted interest from, amongst others, BMG and EMI, and we've had people such as Ronnie Rocket (The Specials) give us heaps of praise and take CD's of the band.

We're currently planning a tour of the U.K and Europe with another band from here in a similar situation, with the U.S.A in our greater scheme of things.

In that sense, we're currently very established up at this end of the U.K and have built up a big fanbase all around the country, and so that is why we've decided to get these press packs off everywhere we can.

Thanks for the advice, I looked into Sub Pop and we're getting one off there, I thought they weren't running anymore so thank you!
i'd suggest getting a myspace music profile, that way you've got an audience all over the place, and you can get an initial fanbase going.

and if you can, get a group of people to act as a promo-team. flyering and shit at other gigs works.
i've done a whole lot of this shit, and it's quite effective. and low cost, if you can print off an a4 page with 4 flyers and photocopy it a few hundred times, you're sorted.

invite press/record label people down to your shows.
get together with a couple of bands in the same situation, book a showcase gig together and invite a load of media/record company folk.

a band i know did a gig in Camden Barfly as a showcase, and by chance my friend saw Dave Berry from MTV in Leicester Square, invited him to the gig. he came down, brought an agent. and subsequently they got signed.
Old May 20th 2005, 02:35 PM
Have you found your way around

I don't think theres any point trying an American label until your VERY established over here. Look at bands like the White Stripes and the Killers and you can see that that move only works in reverse.

Good luck though.

Please call me Stef(an), because my names shite!

I've posted replies in Public Warnings and Letters to the Band... sweet
Closed Thread