Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Foo Side Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 29th 2015, 05:43 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Chevy Metal at Conejo Valley Days - Dreams come true in California

Chevy Metal concert, Conejo Valley Days, May 9th 2015

NOTE: All described events are true and actually happened. If any comments seem jocular or sarcastic, please note that no offence was intended to the characters involved or readers. Please, keep an open mind while reading

Characters:

Chris - Foo Fighters guitarist and, from time to time, Chevy Metal guitarist
Dave - Foo Fighters frontman and, occasionally, Chevy Metal rhythm guitarist
David – my host and the concert organizer. The person who made it all happen to me.
Grant – my friend, photographer and a great Foo Fighters’ fan. He took care of me and spoke for me during the event.
Lou – sound engineer at Studio 606 who put The Birds of Satan record together. He occasionally plays drums.
Petra – David’s wife, the most cheerful and hardworking person I know
Rami - Foo Fighters keyboard player
Taylor – Foo Fighters, Chevy Metal and The Birds of Satan drummer who also sings from time to time
Wiley – Chevy Metal and The Birds of Satan bassist, Taylor’s friend

It all started on Friday when we were to step into Studio 606 just for a second where David was supposed to leave passes for the band so that they could enter the picnic area. We went there in a van that smelled of pizza. David asked me to remain calm as fans sometimes go completely nuts… but I’m not a teenager any more so I knew well how to behave. I really had no intentions of bringing shame on him. Wiley was the only person who was supposed to be in the studio. I psyched myself up for that meeting. He’s one of my FB friends and when we occasionally exchange messages he’s always very nice so it was easier for me. We drove up to the studio and when a huge black front gate opened, the first person I noticed was the Foo Fighters technician. He was talking on the phone. The next thing I saw in the parking lot was the Chevy Van with its door open and some cables sticking out. It looked like somebody was cleaning the interior and checking the engine. Wiley was coiling a cord. My stomach churned.

David and Petra stepped out of the car and exchanged greetings. When I jumped out of the car, Wiley was startled to see me, which made me feel nice. He probably never really believed me when I said I was going to visit them for that concert. As soon as he realized I was really there, he hugged me warmly. He welcomed me and started a conversation but I reminded him I don't speak English well. He smiled and said: “okay”. He stepped aside and, at that moment, Taylor jumped out of the van. I have to admit, my legs went from under me and, for a change, I was the one standing there with my eyes wide open. I didn’t expect him to be there at all. And yet …

He came up to me hug me warmly, though he didn’t know who I was. That’s the way it is back there. Everyone is kind and friendly. David told Taylor that I’m from Poland and he looked at me with surprise. I showed him my Birds of Satan badge. He smiled and said: “Oh fuck…”

Then they started discussing concert related stuff like when to arrive or where to show the passes. David gave them tickets for friends. Usual organizational issues. In the meantime, Rami and Lou joined us. I stood at the back and observed Taylor. You may think it’s silly but I paid attention mainly to his tracksuit and sneakers … like a teenage fan. Only that I didn’t squeak. In the meantime, I heard that Chevy Metal would have a very special guest at the show the following day. The secret guest meant to be Dave Grohl. Nobody could know about that and I couldn’t tell anyone either. When the conversation was about to finish, Petra took me into the studio. It was a very short trip but the building is not big. I saw the console, the recording room, the famous hall and the entrance to the gear storage room. I was shocked. It was so mind-boggling. Taking photos is not allowed in there and I obeyed the rule.

When we went out to the parking lot I decided it was time to brace up and give Wiley the bell. I brought some handmade tiny sheep bells from Poland. The sound they make is really beautiful. Wiley was delighted with it and said it was cool and that it sounded very nice. He had a jolly good laugh when I told him it was a sheep bell. He even tried to pronounce its Polish name, which is " zbyrcok", but wasn't very successful at it.

After that, I was admiring the Chevy Van. I love that car. Finally, I asked if I could take a look inside, to which Wiley replied: "Of course". I touched the door solemnly, which made Wiley laugh. He wanted to take my photo next to the van but I refused. I was shocked.

Then it was time to get ready to leave. As we were driving out, Wiley was waving me goodbye like crazy. He's the most awesome guy in the world!

The following day, we arrived at the spot at about 1 pm. The concert was scheduled to start at 4 pm Everything was ready. There was additional railing and screens so no one could see what was at the back. However, there was no security or anything like that. It was picnic-like. The first person I encountered was my friend, Grant. He was very excited as the first person he run across on arrival was Wiley. He said his act of parking the car was sheer madness because he wanted to rush to say hi to Wiley as soon as he spotted him. Apparently, being a fan obliges to do wired stuff, no matter how old you are. In spite of all, Grant and I kept up our spirit. We ate a slice of pizza each, got the VIP bands from David and went backstage.

Wiley was already there. They all greeted me warmly and my heart was beating like a drum. They were impressed that I'm from Poland and I came all the way so see one concert. But, since the concert did not want to come to me, I decided to come to it. Wiley said they appreciated the way I manage The Birds of Satan Fans group on FB and added that the poster promoting their concert that I made was incredibly cool. All that vas very nice to hear. I'm so proud that my poster was on the tickets and promoted the concert on Chevy Metal FB page. I feel honored.

David drove a golf cart around the picnic area and, suddenly, I spotted a pick-up truck with FF gear following him. It was amazing. Guitars, cymbals and a pedal for Taylor. Wow! Grant left to help them and when he came back, he was wearing a broad smile. He got to hold Dave's guitar. For that short moment, he was the band member. For a moment, he was the band's technician.

I decided I needed a smoke as emotions reached the zenith. When I was standing there, I saw David again driving the cart. This time, he was followed by a black car with darkened windows. My heart leapt. They drove past me and I spotted Grohl behind the wheel. I thought to myself: "Take it easy, you knew he would be here so don't go nuts, just keep on smoking". But it's always easier said than done. My hands were shaking but I kept on smoking acting as relaxed as I could. I watched him step out of the car wearing black jeans and a black t-shirt with a white print.

Dave exchanged greetings with everyone and I also found courage to approach him. They explained my presence to him and he started talking to me. I said I don't speak English ... and he said he doesn't speak Polish. Then he gave me a hug.

In the meantime, we taped a board which read: "band only" on the door of a giant trailer.

Next, Chris arrived. He was by himself. As he was hungry, he went to grab some pizza and sat at the table next to the trailer. Grant and I came up to say hi. Chris was surprised by the fact that I come from Poland. He said his grandmother was Polish. He got a sheep bell and a shawl for his wife from me, for which he was very thankful.

Continued below

Last edited by Simon : July 30th 2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old July 29th 2015, 05:47 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: Chevy Metal at Conejo Valley Days - Dreams come true in California

When Dave came back, I told Grant that it was time to give him fanzines from Polish Foo Fighters' fans. We came up to Dave and Grant explained everything to him. Dave was really impressed, which can be seen in the photos. He was surprised and pleased. The words that came out of his mouth were: "awesome", "cool", "really" and "for the whole band?". Then I think he gave me one more hug, but I'm not a 100% sure now, and he took the fanzines to the trailer.

At that point, I was only waiting for my god to make appearance. From the very beginning, I had a feeling that he would arrive as the last one. Finally, it happened. The Chevy Van entered the area.

I was stunned when I saw Taylor stepping out of the car. Taylor was walking around and greeting everyone. I stood on the side and stared. I was so shocked that I couldn’t do anything else. Eventually, Grant took me to say hi to Taylor. He remembered he had met me the day before so he gave me a big hug. Grant told him my story again. Taylor hugged me every now and then said my story was so awesome and cool. He kept calling me Sweetheart and Sweetie. I gave him the sheep bells for him and his kids and a shawl for his wife.

Dave told me he has a friend in Poland. He was talking to me and searching his mobile as the same time. I told him that we would meet soon and he said: “Yeah, at a gig in November”. He just couldn’t remember the city. I reminded him it would be in Cracow.

And then he asked me to say “hello” in Polish and he took a photo of me saying “cześć”. I don’t know what he needed the photo for. Anyway, I’m not sure if he took a photo or filmed it. If he had filmed it, maybe he would use my “cześć” in a short video for Polish fans. But I’m afraid it’s rather wishful thinking than reality.

Before the concert, Wiley said he hoped I wouldn’t be disappointed . Well, even if they had just been singing “lalalalala” for 2 hours, I wouldn’t have been disappointed.

Continued below

Last edited by Simon : July 30th 2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old July 29th 2015, 05:54 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Then they played the concert, which you can watch on You Tube.

CONCERT HERE

It was amazing. It was a totally unique experience. Such small concerts are more family-oriented and more spontaneous. Several strange incidents couldn’t be avoided, of course.

The first song that was played, “Stay with me”, allows for everyone to play a solo. Taylor’s solo always comes last and it was the same that time. He started his solo and, after 5 beats, his shoelace got tangled in the pedal. The shoelace wanted to have its solo too, I guess.

Taylor also slashed his finger during one of the songs. They wanted to dress the wound with a duct tape. Dave joked that Taylor got wounded because he was constantly combing his hair with his fingers and demonstrated the way he did it.

Chris also sang one song at the concert. It was a cover of "Little T & A" by The Rolling Stones

CLIK HERE

After the concert, the atmosphere was totally picnic-like.

I noticed that Taylor didn't throw his drum sticks to the audience but took them with him. I managed to fight my other, cowardly self, and decided to ask him to give them to me. He was talking to somebody and when he was done I came up to him and, in trembling voice, I asked for them. For a moment, he was confused and didn't really know what I wanted (I must have said something stupid) but then he figured it out. He said he had no drum sticks and sent me to the technicians to get them. I did as instructed but they gave me 3 drum sticks they found on the stage. None of them was Taylor's though. Disconsolate, I went back to Taylor and put one of the drum sticks under his nose so that he would sign it for me. He glanced at it and said it wasn't his. I said: "Yes, I know that, but it's ok". At first, he tried to write with a marker that still had the tip on and I had to help him remove it like you help a child. That was cute.

I also talked to Rami and as soon as I mentioned Poland, he mentioned the concert.

I told Wiley that I loved the concert but was a bit disappointed they didn't play The Wizard. I'm not sure if he realized I was kidding (their sense of humor is totally different than ours). Anyway, he said that Taylor refused to play anything by Black Sabbath. Tough luck. Maybe next time. I was delighted anyway. I love it when Wiley sings "Turning Japanese" and they performed that one.

Chris came to say goodbye to me before he left, which was extremely nice. A little later Dave left. Taylor stayed late, until 8 in the evening.

In the evening, Wiley sat with me again and told me he had lived in Liverpool for 3 years and travelled across Europe quite a lot. However, he has never visited Poland. Then he got a Chevy Metal t-shirt out of the car. He said he brought it especially for me. That was awesome. I felt really special. He showed a lot of attention to me and I was in heaven ... and, as if that was not enough, David came out of the trailer and guess what was in his hand? He was holding the two drum sticks Taylor had been using during the concert. He got them especially for me!!! I cuddled the t-shirt and drum sticks for at least a minute and Wiley had a jolly good laugh about it.

Soon, it was time to go back home. I said goodbye to Wiley one more time. He wished me a safe journey home and said he hoped we would meet again in the near future. I said it might happen in 4 years or so but he said he hoped it would happen sooner than that. A very eventful day came to an end.

I would like to thank David very much for making it possible for my dream to come true. My dream came true in grand style. Thanks to him I was a VIP and I felt wonderful. Thank you!

Grant was endlessly patient and he made a very good interpreter. If it hadn’t been for him, I would have gone into shock and, secondly, there would be no photos now (it turned out I can’t take good photos).

I apologize to all my Californian friends who were having fun in front of the stage and I joined them only for a short moment. I’m really sorry.

Once again, I wish to thank Wiley for treating me (a crazy fan) so kind.

Wiley, I’m sorry I message you all the time but I just can’t refrain myself. I hope we’ll meet face to face again someday and I’ll have an interpreter who speaks both English and Polish fluently. I have several questions concerning The Birds of Satan I’d like to ask you.

Many thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome. It was amazing.

Casual observations not included in the above account (because that’s not done) which might be of great importance to female fans:

Spoiler!

/IsmerilJo

(translated by Ewa Stefaniak, a huge Foo Fighters' fan)

MORE PHOTOS --> CLIK HERE

Last edited by Simon : July 30th 2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old July 29th 2015, 06:01 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Poster

Last edited by Ismeril : July 29th 2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old July 29th 2015, 06:02 PM
Fooper!

Very cool story, lucky you! Will be going to the concert in Krakow in November myself, really looking forward to it, but not so much the cold weather!
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old July 29th 2015, 06:10 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Do not worry. It may be cold, but it can also be warm. It is not known. Bring a good jacket
I'm sorry, I do not know English.
Old July 29th 2015, 06:11 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismeril View Post
Do not worry. It may be cold, but it can also be warm. It is not known. Bring a good jacket
I'm sorry, I do not know English.
Don't worry, Like Dave, I don't know Polish!
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Old July 29th 2015, 11:32 PM
The Sidekick

I don't want to have to remove the thread because clearly you've put a lot of time into it but you can't discuss/talk about the bands private lives and family here. Could you please therefore remove any offending sections. Thanks.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old July 30th 2015, 04:50 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Remove the whole thread if necessary. I do not know how to do it. I thought that in this text there is nothing that would be allowed. I'M Sorry
Old July 30th 2015, 05:14 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ismeril View Post
Remove the whole thread if necessary. I do not know how to do it. I thought that in this text there is nothing that would be allowed. I'M Sorry
There will be an edit button bottom right. It's just you mention the kids & wives. Not allowed i'm afraid!
O2 Arena,London,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Old July 30th 2015, 05:15 PM
The Sidekick

I'm editing it for you now.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old July 30th 2015, 05:19 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I'm editing it for you now.
Thank You!
Old July 30th 2015, 05:26 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post