Default Re: 'Concrete and Gold' out Sept 15th

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Stacked Actor View Post
Not to be dismissive, but "Today" is "Sweet Child Of Mine" on valium, "Cherub Rock" is an exercise in E major, "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" is grunge reduction of "Enter Sandman", and I could do this with almost every hit of theirs.

We are wandering into opinion land, sy I'll just say the hallmark hits of Smashing Pumpkins aren't paragons of originality.
The great thing about the Smashing Pumpkins to me is, that they have such a wide repertoire. Metal songs, pop songs, piano based songs, weird electronic songs, uptempo rock songs. Point is, I can name so many interesting songs from a musical point of view and some simple songs that probably aren't that original indeed, just like a lot of Foo Fighters songs aren't. Doesn't mean they're not good, of course.

Galapogos, Here Is No Why, Porcelina of the Vast Oceans, 1979, Thru the Eyes of Ruby, and so on... I'm not even mentioning songs from other albums. All very original from a musical point of view and different from what most bands in their genre were doing. But yeah.. of course it's subjective. I think we can agree that Billy is a better guitarist, though, right?