Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 25th 2018, 07:25 PM
Oooh oh ooooh

Default Re: Australia & New Zealand Tour 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchEnemies View Post
I mean, it's not like Dave doesn't have form for over-hyping. He's just an enthusiastic guy. But sometimes things don't pan out as well as he imagined, and I'd be surprised if they all hadn't sensed the general lack of fan love for SH.
He sure is! I guess i didn't expect that he would completely change his mind, or maybe he was a bit exaggerating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
Go to any band's forum though and it's basically the same discussion.
At the end of the day, it isn't a Prince or Soundgarden situation. So I'll probably continue to go to shows since it's more about the experience than worrying about Ain't it the Life being played or whatever.
This. I get it, i suppose we all do it or have done it at some point..common conversations among fans. Some people may lose interest,if they've seen them many times, they will want something different etc. But it's nice to see posts like this.
Old January 25th 2018, 07:29 PM
Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
The previous Call comment in here is someone that was at Brisbane last night. This Is A Call probably WAS on the setlist - it WAS played at BOTH Perth and Adelaide and disappeared last night - not even replaced - they played 25 vs 26 songs - AND dropped Arrows to cover the Ramones Blitzkrieg Bop. Covers are one thing but seriously - you don't drop one of the best songs off your current album to do it - thats just fucky(TM)
I fixed this for you!
Old January 25th 2018, 08:20 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Go to any band's forum though and it's basically the same discussion. And we're not even going to 100+ shows at the end of the day. I have a feeling if people could get away with shows like that, then every artist would be doing something like that.
But the whole "we could never do that it's too risky" take on it is utter BS as well - because it means nobody every tries something like it to see how positive a thing it might be.

And every artist ISN'T ever going to even try it because a big chunk don't actually play everything live anyway - and all the autosynching bullshit and overdubs would be practically impossible to switch around on the fly. So it would only ever work for "real" music.

Quote:
I don't disagree that the whole "rip the setlist" thing seems to drift more into a "choosing the same 10 songs and covers" thing though.
Yeah - only now it's gotten so bad it's like it's become a fucking self fulfilling prophecy from 2005:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Songs_and_a_Cover

Quote:
At the Madison show, Dave took suggestions for the set and the guy next to me screamed for La Dee Da. I encouraged it as well, but Dave said no because he "wasn't feeling it."
I'd be totally fine with him filtering the songs - sure you can then argue he'd just look at a setlist on the back of a monitor and say no until someone suggested the next song - but that would soon become obvious. The main thing you'd hope for would be a solid 6 or 7 hard immediate yes sure that sounds cool let's do that.. [/quote]

Quote:
I suspect the laryngitis or whatever it was might've also contributed to a much lesser extent, but I suspect it's just easier to go to the songs that kill live instead of potentially having a song sink like a dud or screwing up on a song you haven't played in forever (then the discussions on other boards go onto how the band should rehearse more, is lazy, etc. etc.).
The words "it's just easier" combined with Dave Grohl just feel like horse shit. I'm not at all getting at you for saying them there - I know exactly what you mean - and I feel like yeah you're right it really does come across like all of that is true - so back to the horse shit - where the FUCK is that coming from... promoters and management and the fact that when you get THIS big you have bills THIS big - and you need to know that the BIG machine will keep on truckin so it's "same ole same ole" and fuck the music and fuck the creativity.

Quote:
And no one can argue they're playing more new songs this time around than last time either, which I suppose is a step up from the SH tour.
Yes I guess that's true - though even there some of them like La Dee Da and Make It Right that were being played last year seem to have now fallen off the list for 2018. The AUS setlists are so far desperately uninspiring.

These next songs are fine or even great but they are overcooked to hell - get these the fuck out of here... Arlandria, Let It Die, Walk, Pretender, Best of You, all the covers and all the jams. I just made you a nine hole gap in your set list and pretty much all the smash hits are still there

Some people will be upset there in no over-played Pretender or BOY, but I bet any of us could create a pretty awesome personal setlist by adding nine songs of our own suggestion...

Which at the end of the day is exactly my point. I would only bet on a few bands being able to pull off requests over a 20 year career and my expectation is a couple might be a bit sucky - but they'd kill the majority. And I guarantee they'd be hyped and so would the crowd. Fucking free to dream though right...

I was there
Old January 25th 2018, 08:52 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy4580 View Post
I fixed this for you!
My Hero! ( Roswell Records, Inc. 1997)

I was there
Old January 25th 2018, 08:59 PM
Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!

Quote:
My Hero! ( Roswell Records, Inc. 1997)
Is your new signature for me???
Old January 25th 2018, 09:01 PM
I'll Stick Around

The Australian gigs have predictable setlists because they're so big, I suspect. The larger the audience, the more likely it's full of casual fans who just want to sing along to Best of You.

And yeah, it's also true that when you become this big, you curtail your freedom to take risks. They do have big bills to pay, and they do have lots of people relying on them for jobs.

I'm not sure there's an easy fix that'll make everyone happy here - except for dropping the bloody covers
Old January 25th 2018, 09:19 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
Its a bit complicated though as old singles should probably not be even considered a deep cut but the FF is in a situation where (in the shows Ive been at the last few years) the audience really knows songs from the Pretender onwards. The singles from IYH and earlier the majority have of course heard but the FF material they know is different from what we probably consider their core material. Its not uncommon to hear "hey I like the One by One song (meaning AML)". Were geeks who know the band inside out, the crowds that flock to see them now are there for the newer hits so its understandable that its what theyll do.

But still, a 20min S&B - WHO ENJOYS THAT?
Yes you really nail it here - even 2000 onwards means as a concert goer if you know One by One well then you were probably a min of 13 when it came out. So you'd be born in 1987 and 31 this year. And that just "gets you a seat" as a One By One album release fan.

Older fans know both, so it does make meeting that weighted demand heavily lopsided - you pick the newer songs because EVERYBODY knows them. Then again if you look at the songs they have played most - many are in the first three albums, as for years that's all they had. So you can't go by numbers either or you'd be fucked the other way as album 1-3 would still never get played as the would be considered already played to death based on volume.

But I still maintain that part of being a concert goer is you get what the band have done - not what you have bloody well heard. That's how rock music always was when I grew up, you learned the "new" old songs as you went.

Ideally you'd just say tough shit to the Millennial crybabies and tell them to only go to (insert favorite "started after 2010" artist) gigs only. But this hyper-corporate hyper-PC hyper-digital world has made touring such a back bone of a bands income they all just cave to whatever creates financial safety.

The ultimate irony is that means we get to see them more often but actually "need" to see them less - because it's now still largely the same shit year after year.

Fuck it must really really suck to be the Rolling Stones

I was there
Old January 25th 2018, 09:19 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy4580 View Post
Is your new signature for me???
Gig cycle karma sig

I was there
Old January 25th 2018, 10:35 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhoundnz View Post
Also, anyone know what time soundcheck is usually?
My question got missed in the other discussion. Does anyone know the answer to this? Thanks!

Entertainment Centre, Wellington, NZ - Nov 25, 2005
Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - May 5, 2008
Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - May 6, 2008
Western Springs, Auckland, NZ - Dec 13, 2011
Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, NZ - Feb 21, 2015
Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, NZ - Feb 3, 2018
TCV - Brisbane Riverstage, AUS - Jan 25, 2010
TCV - Entertainment Centre, Wellington, NZ - Jan 29, 2010
Creator of the first completely silent album on iTunes.
TWITTER: @BrettBlackNZ
Old January 26th 2018, 01:28 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Sorry - I did see it, and did bury it lol

While i don't know for certain, probably nobody does as it will be an on the day thing. But based on past gigs it will be between 12 and 3pm. Most or all of the acts will get a slot. Gates are set to open at 4 so it will be done by then. Sometimes bands do an earlier setup check in the 10 to 12 slot to but it's usually pretty quick.

I was there
Old January 26th 2018, 01:31 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Excellent #D flyby has been created by the stadium specific to the event. All the gates and merch tents are really nicely laid out so you can plan where you need to be and where to get merch etc. Now just to contact them about when those merch tents will be open...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=7p18ne1hgcw

Venue Map:
https://assets.aucklandstadiums.co.n...oncert-map.pdf

https://www.aucklandstadiums.co.nz/foo-fighters

General Venue Information
Bag / Coat Check
Unfortunately, we do not provide a bag or coat check for concerts. Please be aware that bags larger than 200mm x 300mm x 200mm are not permitted.

Weather
The concert will go ahead rain or shine. If rain is predicted, bring a poncho or raincoat as umbrellas are not permitted.

Permitted Items (please check our website regularly for updates)
• Small personal cameras and camera phones are allowed. Professional cameras, or any camera with a lens larger than a standard watch face (or exceeding 4cm in diameter).will not be permitted.
• Empty plastic bottle without lid (up to 750ml) to use at the free water stations.
• Sealed bottle of water (up to 750ml) - please note lid will be discarded on entry.
• Disability assistance dogs.
• Banners, placards and flags no larger than 1m x 1m with sticks and poles detached before entering the stadium.
• Small quantities of home prepared food such as sandwiches, fruit and baking.

Prohibited Items
• Bags larger than 200mm x 300mm x 200mm
• Video cameras and recording device (this does not include mobile phones)
• Photographic devices with a lens larger than a standard watch face (not exceeding 4cm in diameter).
• Prams & strollers
• Selfie sticks
• Go Pros
• iPads or Tablets
• Cans or glass of any kind
• Strictly NO alcohol or illicit drugs
• Branded or commercial food and drinks, including takeaways
• Metal utensils, cutlery, etc
• Chilly bins / Coolers
• Dangerous goods
• Fireworks, flares, lasers or flash lights
• Knives, Tasers, Mace, Chains, Spurs or Studded Jewellery
• Offensive weapons including, but not limited to, any object that may be used as a projectile such as glow sticks, balls, containers, etc
• Air horns or loud hailers
• Umbrellas or other sun/rain shelters
• Furniture chairs or stools
• Skateboards, rollerblades, bicycles or scooters
• Animals (excluding service dogs such as guide dogs and police or emergency service dogs)
• Any other items deemed by stadium management or the promoter to be illegal, dangerous or a nuisance to yourself or others

Please note that prohibited items will be confiscated and will not be returned. If in doubt, leave it at home. Stadium management and the promoter take no responsibility for confiscated items.

I was there

Last edited by FooZealand : January 26th 2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old January 26th 2018, 04:45 AM
Grave Rohl

Quote:
Sorry - I did see it, and did bury it lol

While i don't know for certain, probably nobody does as it will be an on the day thing. But based on past gigs it will be between 12 and 3pm. Most or all of the acts will get a slot. Gates are set to open at 4 so it will be done by then. Sometimes bands do an earlier setup check in the 10 to 12 slot to but it's usually pretty quick.
The crew soundchecked Adelaide at I wanna say around 1? Then Weezer and the support bands until around 3.
Old January 26th 2018, 06:59 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:

The ultimate irony is that means we get to see them more often but actually "need" to see them

Fuck it must really really suck to be the Rolling Stones
This. I feel bad for myself but I just can't go anymore, I know too well what it's gonna be. Sure, I'll probably miss a funny bit of DG stage banter but as far as the performance goes I know too well what I'm about to get. Plus, to me, the energy just isnt there anymore. Listen to any bootleg from 2002 and compare to how they are now and you'll get my point.

I wish FF would be more like the Stones, it would mean we'd get the old hits!
Old January 28th 2018, 08:09 AM
Ready on your mark

Quote:
And younger/newer fans that were there might well go "well we didn't know 90% of the songs", but I bet they then also go "but fuck man I'm gonna buy those albums now..."
Having actually been to most of these Aussie shows, I can report that there's a healthy portion of younger and newer fans who know the deep cuts. It's usually the forty-something bogans lit to the gills before they even left the house who are starting shit and hollering for FF to stick to the hits.
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Old January 28th 2018, 03:45 PM

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...27-h0pc3t.html

Exactly how Ive been feeling at the past few shows. Great, but we all know that they can do even better!
Old January 28th 2018, 04:36 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...27-h0pc3t.html

Exactly how Ive been feeling at the past few shows. Great, but we all know that they can do even better!
This seems to be the opposite to what I'm seeing from fans here, though - the guy loved the big hits and thinks the Foos should have scrapped all the rest?

The extended jams, I don't think anyone really loves. I do wonder why they do it.
Old January 28th 2018, 05:43 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

It's pretty well agreed the jams are there 80% to give Dave's voice a break as he does 95% of the lead vocals.

The other 20% is a mix - say 10% perhaps just to help pad the show out to 2.5 to 3 hours (though really that's just a by-product of doing them),

- and my take is there's a final 10% element where the string guys in particular get to rif and do stuff that's unscripted and break up what is otherwise almost a 100% repeat of what they did two nights ago. It's been directly commented many times by various members that playing XZY for the 100th time that year is not exactly inspiring, but they know they have to do it.

The irony of the last one is it totally supports my earlier comments about band and crown feeding off each other. Even if it's a flawless rendition of a song - if the band members aren't truly into it and excited to play it, then you'll never get a real escalation in crowd excitement - simply because there's no real drive to push it from the guys. SO the crowd shout and scream and clap - but they don't go MAD.

So they could solve all 3 by simply doing some of the lesser paced songs they never play - easier on Dave's voice and variety for the other guys...

AND they'd probably hype the crowd up more, make the hits stronger performances - and the gigs overall would definitely be way more memorable.

We simply don't need proof they can play other peoples songs or play 25 minutes versions of their own songs they'll never repeat the same again, even if they are great they are lost forever unless they are recording and releasing every gig, which is another thing they should do and don't, though again - nobody is probably crying over this last fact since... OK yep that's now a broken record

I was there

Last edited by FooZealand : January 28th 2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old January 28th 2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchEnemies View Post
This seems to be the opposite to what I'm seeing from fans here, though - the guy loved the big hits and thinks the Foos should have scrapped all the rest?

The extended jams, I don't think anyone really loves. I do wonder why they do it.
I agree with the author about the jams. Although I would not mind them, I dont need the deep cuts to enhoy a show even though Ive been a fan since the very beginning, they are different nowadays, even if they did Weenie Beenie it wouldnt be the same anymore.

What I do want is the show to be more streamlined.
Old January 28th 2018, 06:09 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
Having actually been to most of these Aussie shows, I can report that there's a healthy portion of younger and newer fans who know the deep cuts. It's usually the forty-something bogans lit to the gills before they even left the house who are starting shit and hollering for FF to stick to the hits.
You always get the older people with disposable money that go to all rock gigs regardless of how well they know bands, you will get as many or more younger people the same - it's just the older ones will be more vocal.

On the last point I wonder how impossible it would be to have some kind of a pre-screening area you had to pass through that literally kicked out anyone that was pissed. I know the idiots you are talking about - and they are also the ones always responsible for the worst crushes.

I was there
Old January 28th 2018, 06:28 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
It's pretty well agreed the jams are there 80% to give Dave's voice a break as he does 95% of the lead vocals.

The other 20% is a mix - say 10% perhaps just to help pad the show out to 2.5 to 3 hours (though really that's just a by-product of doing them),

- and my take is there's a final 10% element where the string guys in particular get to rif and do stuff that's unscripted and break up what is otherwise almost a 100% repeat of what they did two nights ago. It's been directly commented many times by various members that playing XZY for the 100th time that year is not exactly inspiring, but they know they have to do it.

The irony of the last one is it totally supports my earlier comments about band and crown feeding off each other. Even if it's a flawless rendition of a song - if the band members aren't truly into it and excited to play it, then you'll never get a real escalation in crowd excitement - simply because there's no real drive to push it from the guys. SO the crowd shout and scream and clap - but they don't go MAD.

So they could solve all 3 by simply doing some of the lesser paced songs they never play - easier on Dave's voice and variety for the other guys...

AND they'd probably hype the crowd up more, make the hits stronger performances - and the gigs overall would definitely be way more memorable.

We simply don't need proof they can play other peoples songs or play 25 minutes versions of their own songs they'll never repeat the same again, even if they are great they are lost forever unless they are recording and releasing every gig, which is another thing they should do and don't, though again - nobody is probably crying over this last fact since... OK yep that's now a broken record
Yeah, this all makes sense.

I did come up with the same solution in my head after thinking about it for about 30 seconds ("hey, if they need to take a breather, why don't they just play Aurora instead of jamming for 10 minutes?"), so you've got to think it has occurred to them too. Or even have Chris/Taylor sing more. So maybe they just <gasp, horror> actually like the never-ending jams?!!