Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 23rd 2014, 02:50 AM

Default Re: "Beat the Bots" is a waste - don't bother

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyG View Post
For me abd Lara!!!
Wow! That's something to look forward to in 2015!
Old November 23rd 2014, 03:43 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I could not agree more with the title of this thread. I got to the venue at 7am unaware of the raffle (my fault for not following the venue on facebook or doing all my research). But what go me is the fact that we got tickets after we got in line. Not only did the venue shit the bed on that but they also only picked one number and everybody had to line up behind that person (which means what was the front of the line became the end of the line). The venue has GA for the lawn (the fucking nose bleeds of the venue). Now if the GA was in the front it wouldn't matter. I'd get there super early and boom done. But in this case why buy GA for the lawn when you can gets front row seats instead? Every venue is not the same and they should not all be treated the same. Especially if the whole point is to make things "fair." I am disappointed to say the very least.
Aug. 10, 2012-OSL
Old November 23rd 2014, 04:12 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleigh View Post
I could not agree more with the title of this thread. I got to the venue at 7am unaware of the raffle (my fault for not following the venue on facebook or doing all my research). But what go me is the fact that we got tickets after we got in line. Not only did the venue shit the bed on that but they also only picked one number and everybody had to line up behind that person (which means what was the front of the line became the end of the line). The venue has GA for the lawn (the fucking nose bleeds of the venue). Now if the GA was in the front it wouldn't matter. I'd get there super early and boom done. But in this case why buy GA for the lawn when you can gets front row seats instead? Every venue is not the same and they should not all be treated the same. Especially if the whole point is to make things "fair." I am disappointed to say the very least.
The whole point of this was to keep the scalpers from getting all of the good tickets. And, that seems to have worked. Looking at Stubhub in st louis, there are 12 pit tickets(of 100 available) and the next closest are a couple in row R, then a few other assigned seats and a bunch of lawn tickets. So, at least in St. Louis, their strategy worked.

Don't want to be a dick, but I think that comes from not knowing the venue. Our place was the same, numbered seats with GA lawn. There was also a 100 person pit in front of the first row. Normally the pit is larger, but FF has a larger than normal stage and had to cut down the amount of pit area. Our location also stated beforehand, and handed out flyers when you arrived, explaining the process. Get line ticket, draw from a box at 9:30 am. Then everyone line up after that person. I even posted the info in the North American tour thread. I understand your disappointment, but checking this board, facebook, the venue webpage, local radio webpages would all have given you the info.

I don't think it's fair to blame #beatthebots or FF for not getting the info to you. Our line had at least 700(closer to 1200) people, I had #270 after getting there at 8am(the time they opened the parking lot and allowed you in), then they called #365. I still ended up with pit tickets because, my wife split off later and got a different number so we could better our odds. We didn't do anything wrong, because she didn't get a wristband or line ticket when I got mine. She was in the low 400's and there were many people in front of her that didn't want the pit(for some reason???). There were 3 lines that they made from the single line. The line of no more than 50 people for the pit, the line for assigned seats and there were even people that hopped over to the lawn line.

Last edited by Dug : November 23rd 2014 at 04:17 AM.
Old November 23rd 2014, 04:24 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug View Post
The whole point of this was to keep the scalpers from getting all of the good tickets. And, that seems to have worked. Looking at Stubhub in st louis, there are 12 pit tickets(of 100 available) and the next closest are a couple in row R, then a few other assigned seats and a bunch of lawn tickets. So, at least in St. Louis, their strategy worked.

Don't want to be a dick, but I think that comes from not knowing the venue. Our place was the same, numbered seats with GA lawn. There was also a 100 person pit in front of the first row. Normally the pit is larger, but FF has a larger than normal stage and had to cut down the amount of pit area. Our location also stated beforehand, and handed out flyers when you arrived, explaining the process. Get line ticket, draw from a box at 9:30 am. Then everyone line up after that person. I even posted the info in the North American tour thread. I understand your disappointment, but checking this board, facebook, the venue webpage, local radio webpages would all have given you the info.

I don't think it's fair to blame #beatthebots or FF for not getting the info to you. Our line had at least 700(closer to 1200) people, I had #270 after getting there at 8am(the time they opened the parking lot and allowed you in), then they called #365. I still ended up with pit tickets because, my wife split off later and got a different number so we could better our odds. We didn't do anything wrong, because she didn't get a wristband or line ticket when I got mine. She was in the low 400's and there were many people in front of her that didn't want the pit(for some reason???). There were 3 lines that they made from the single line. The line of no more than 50 people for the pit, the line for assigned seats and there were even people that hopped over to the lawn line.

Your first sentence says it all..."keeping the scalpers from getting all of the GOOD tickets". Look at the FedEx Forum seating chart in Memphis and tell me 108 is a GOOD seat. I'm not meaning to be rude, but I don't think the scalpers are at any disadvantage by not getting my seats in Section 108.
Old November 23rd 2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug View Post

I get that it was to beat the scalpers and i love that idea. Buying tickets is stressful as fuck. But here's the thing there is no pit at this venue. There's 2 sections of seats and the lawn is behind that. I understand how it works with a pit but when there isn't one everybody gets fucked. And I'm not just blaming the band because hey a majority of the venues do have a pit. But i will say it would have been nice had they took into consideration that some don't have a pit.
What pisses me off the most was the piss poor excuse of a raffle the venue did. Instead of a nice organized raffle everybody stood in line and they came around handing out raffle tickets right off the roll. Then they put the other half in a bucket and drew ONE number. That one number became the head of the line and everybody lined up in numerical order after that (instead of it being random which seemed to be the system for most other venues).
Sure it would have been nice had they put it directly on the page, with the artwork and the dates, that it would be a raffle. And maybe for next time they can make a universal process for this rather than people just getting fucked over by some idiot who doesn't know what a raffle is.
Aug. 10, 2012-OSL

Last edited by Ashleigh : November 23rd 2014 at 07:19 AM. Reason: grammar and spelling
Old November 23rd 2014, 07:51 AM
I'll Stick Around

ok for the detroit show.. they said they didnt even have "that many" tickets to sell in the front rows... they said there will be more front row tickets for the "public sale", so what was the point of driving almost an hour for this for?
9-19-11 Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI
9-20-11 Quicken Loans Arena Cleveland, OH
8-24-15 DTE Music Theatre Clarkston, MI

TCV: 10-8-09 The Fillmore Detroit, MI

FooFightersLive.com
Old November 23rd 2014, 07:52 AM
Screams in silence

That is how the random raffle works. They pick one number and that becomes the #1 person in line and then it's sequential after them.

You could pick your specific seat at the Forum. I got GA, but I saw the other people in line having them do numerous searches and they would give the specific row, seat, etc. They were super friendly too.
Old November 23rd 2014, 10:05 AM

I guess us folks in Seattle got lucky? My buddy and I showed up around 8:30am. There was already approx 300 people in line. They were handing out wristbands at 9 and we were about 10 people away from missing out on them. About a half hour later a Key Arena staff member told us the wristbands didn't matter anymore and there were about 18,000 tickets being sold for the Gorge Presale. We both get two GA Floor tickets around 11am for $75 without service fees. Totally worth it for me!
Old November 23rd 2014, 10:31 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

Sounds like people who couldn't pick their seats should have issue with the venue, not with the band.
Old November 23rd 2014, 12:32 PM
Shut up, Sherman...

I am totally happy with "Beat the Bots," and so were probably the first 700-800 people who showed up yesterday morning in Indy, definitely everyone I talked to in line at least.

I got decent seats, upper pavillion about halfway from the back. The reason I didn't get kick ass seats is totally my fault and I don't blame the band, the venue, or anyone else except those damn locals that knew the area and who lined up their cars on the side of the road outside the venue for like 4 MILES lol.... well played, residents, well played . If I would've followed my gut and got up and out earlier I would've been right up in the front too. As it was we were numbers 648 and 649. A guy leaving with tickets told us the cars didn't start lining up until about 8 local time and he was about 30 cars back at 8:30, so if I would've got there just 15 minutes earlier than I did it would have made a huge difference. I took it too literally that they woulddn't allow anyone to hang around before 9, my bad. No cops or anything either until the actual main gate, so everyone could line up in peace. The only thing that ticked me off were cars that got there later and rather than turn right and go to the obvious back of the line they tried to cut-in in front of like 500 other cars. People let them in front of them!!! You Indy people are much too nice

Just an FYI, there ARE NOT going to be many seats left for any presale or regular sale, at least in Indy. The ticket lady was awesome - as soon as we got the window (about 2 hours after lining up) she busted out a map of the venue and showed us what she had left and gave us a couple choices and the pros and cons of each. She showed us as tickets sold they were actually blacking out the seats on the paper maps, and you could see that they were selling out the pavillion from front to back. I was told they aren't holding any seats back, save the VIP seats that were earmarked for big ticket resellers anyway (not much anyone can do about that), so I cannot see anything really being available come online sale time except lawn seats. Sorry non lineup people . They said 500 pit GA, around 6000 under the pavillion, and 18000 GA lawn. We were around number 650, and there were at least that many behind us in line. With our place in line we it really made sense the seats we got (650 x 4 = about 2400 seats gone before us), and it really looks like they aren't holding many back, if any. I think everyone who showed up got something, but I am guessing the stragglers ended up dead in the last row of the pavillion or on the lawn. Curious to see what happens come online sale time.

I froze my ass off due to running from my car and thinking I wouldn't need my heavy coat, hat, gloves, or hoodie. It rained, and then sleeted, and then rained some more. I couldn't feel my legs by the time I had my tickets in hand... but I think it was an awesome way to do things and still a great experience. I would do it again, I hope they do something like this from now on for all their major tours.

I hope Dizbet here got some good seats too!
Old November 23rd 2014, 12:43 PM
Team Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
I am totally happy with "Beat the Bots," and so were probably the first 700-800 people who showed up yesterday morning in Indy, definitely everyone I talked to in line at least.

I got decent seats, upper pavillion about halfway from the back. The reason I didn't get kick ass seats is totally my fault and I don't blame the band, the venue, or anyone else except those damn locals that knew the area and who lined up their cars on the side of the road outside the venue for like 4 MILES lol.... well played, residents, well played . If I would've followed my gut and got up and out earlier I would've been right up in the front too. As it was we were numbers 648 and 649. A guy leaving with tickets told us the cars didn't start lining up until about 8 local time and he was about 30 cars back at 8:30, so if I would've got there just 15 minutes earlier than I did it would have made a huge difference. I took it too literally that they woulddn't allow anyone to hang around before 9, my bad. No cops or anything either until the actual main gate, so everyone could line up in peace. The only thing that ticked me off were cars that got there later and rather than turn right and go to the obvious back of the line they tried to cut-in in front of like 500 other cars. People let them in front of them!!! You Indy people are much too nice

Just an FYI, there ARE NOT going to be many seats left for any presale or regular sale, at least in Indy. The ticket lady was awesome - as soon as we got the window (about 2 hours after lining up) she busted out a map of the venue and showed us what she had left and gave us a couple choices and the pros and cons of each. She showed us as tickets sold they were actually blacking out the seats on the paper maps, and you could see that they were selling out the pavillion from front to back. I was told they aren't holding any seats back, save the VIP seats that were earmarked for big ticket resellers anyway (not much anyone can do about that), so I cannot see anything really being available come online sale time except lawn seats. Sorry non lineup people . They said 500 pit GA, around 6000 under the pavillion, and 18000 GA lawn. We were around number 650, and there were at least that many behind us in line. With our place in line we it really made sense the seats we got (650 x 4 = about 2400 seats gone before us), and it really looks like they aren't holding many back, if any. I think everyone who showed up got something, but I am guessing the stragglers ended up dead in the last row of the pavillion or on the lawn. Curious to see what happens come online sale time.

I froze my ass off due to running from my car and thinking I wouldn't need my heavy coat, hat, gloves, or hoodie. It rained, and then sleeted, and then rained some more. I couldn't feel my legs by the time I had my tickets in hand... but I think it was an awesome way to do things and still a great experience. I would do it again, I hope they do something like this from now on for all their major tours.

I hope Dizbet here got some good seats too!
I did pretty good. I saw on the venue site that some people were getting there at 8. The venue said they were running people off if there were parked there before 9. But I called Friday and got a weird vibe when I asked about it. I had a two hour drive and was up at 5. Decided to leave at 5:30 and so glad that I did. I was about 15 cars back in line at 7:30. I think they let people start parking along the road at 7:30. I couldn't believe the turnout.

I ended up getting seats about 20 rows back on one of the sides. I was around the 60th person in line. They had nothing closer when I got up there, and there were definitely scalpers ahead of me. I wish I had closer seats, but these will do fine. I may still upgrade to VIP but those are a couple of rows behind our seats. They may be more comfortable though. Won't know about those until June. But, the last time I tried to get FF tickets in 2000 ticketmaster had just gone online. I was at ticketmaster at the sale start time and was the first person in line, and I still got nosebleed seats. So this is a HUGE improvement. I'm very surprised the closer seats are not on stubhub yet.
Old November 23rd 2014, 12:44 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
Sounds like people who couldn't pick their seats should have issue with the venue, not with the band.
Exactly. Each venue had their own system and not every venue has the same seating layout, seating capacity, parking, etc. In some cases a lottery could not be avoided or it would be chaos with scalpels paying people to wait on line.

I do feel people should be allowed to buy the seats they want, but again the venue can't spend minutes with each person haggling. It would have left gaps in seating and more parties could have been separated from each other and less people would possibly get tickets at all.

I know that everyone I met online got tickets yesterday and they were 500+ behind me. Bottom line. Fans got tickets to the show. They are going!
Old November 23rd 2014, 01:42 PM
Shut up, Sherman...

Quote:
I did pretty good. I saw on the venue site that some people were getting there at 8. The venue said they were running people off if there were parked there before 9. But I called Friday and got a weird vibe when I asked about it. I had a two hour drive and was up at 5. Decided to leave at 5:30 and so glad that I did. I was about 15 cars back in line at 7:30. I think they let people start parking along the road at 7:30. I couldn't believe the turnout.

I ended up getting seats about 20 rows back on one of the sides. I was around the 60th person in line. They had nothing closer when I got up there, and there were definitely scalpers ahead of me. I wish I had closer seats, but these will do fine. I may still upgrade to VIP but those are a couple of rows behind our seats. They may be more comfortable though. Won't know about those until June. But, the last time I tried to get FF tickets in 2000 ticketmaster had just gone online. I was at ticketmaster at the sale start time and was the first person in line, and I still got nosebleed seats. So this is a HUGE improvement. I'm very surprised the closer seats are not on stubhub yet.
Good to hear! Yeah I can't believe it either, totally did not expect it to be what it was... just glad we made the trip even more now!

I'm sure some more will pop up on Stubby, and honestly I'm not too worried about it with things working out like they did. One of the first people to come out had some floor tickets and was trying to sell them right there for $400, asshole. The guys in front of us were buying for themselves, but also up to their limits to sell the rest. It happens, and I think this is still the best way to sell tickets and keep things as fair as they can possibly be for everyone. Pure scalpers did not get even a fraction of the tickets they would have gotten selling the traditional way, and I would almost guarantee real fans end up with the overwhelming majority of the best seats. And everyone, fans and assholes alike, had to really earn those tickets by physically coming to get them.

There will always have to be a way for people to sell their tickets if they end up not being able to go, and people are always gonna be around to pay any price to get in a show and therefore a business to serve them too. And sorry, but the front row is only so big. This was really good all in all as far as I can see. No complaints, except that I got there too late.

Last edited by MrPeabody : November 23rd 2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old November 23rd 2014, 03:05 PM
Sparkle Aficionado

Quote:
How is that unfair?!?

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
--James Madison, (1751-1836)

History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.
-Thurgood Marshall, (1908-1993)

Team NIN - Secretary
Old November 23rd 2014, 03:07 PM
Sparkle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsabres View Post
ok for the detroit show.. they said they didnt even have "that many" tickets to sell in the front rows... they said there will be more front row tickets for the "public sale", so what was the point of driving almost an hour for this for?
I'm not sure who told you that. What front rows? Have you been to pine knob? Did you see the seating chart they handed out? There is a out in front and it's tiny. I was told there would be no more available. Which makes sense since the pit at that venue holds roughly 4 people

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.

History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.

Team NIN - Secretary
Old November 23rd 2014, 03:08 PM
Sparkle Aficionado

Quote:
I get that it was to beat the scalpers and i love that idea. Buying tickets is stressful as fuck. But here's the thing there is no pit at this venue. There's 2 sections of seats and the lawn is behind that. I understand how it works with a pit but when there isn't one everybody gets fucked. And I'm not just blaming the band because hey a majority of the venues do have a pit. But i will say it would have been nice had they took into consideration that some don't have a pit.
What pisses me off the most was the piss poor excuse of a raffle the venue did. Instead of a nice organized raffle everybody stood in line and they came around handing out raffle tickets right off the roll. Then they put the other half in a bucket and drew ONE number. That one number became the head of the line and everybody lined up in numerical order after that (instead of it being random which seemed to be the system for most other venues).
Sure it would have been nice had they put it directly on the page, with the artwork and the dates, that it would be a raffle. And maybe for next time they can make a universal process for this rather than people just getting fucked over by some idiot who doesn't know what a raffle is.
That's the way the raffle works. That was the universal process

Team NIN - Secretary
Old November 23rd 2014, 03:10 PM
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North

Quote:
You state you didn't do your research. This tour is super fucking popular. All the venues were not the same, some did first come first served. But you wouldn't know that because you didn't check the venue on FaceBook or anything else for that matter.
Look like you're mad because you were not informed.
Thanks for playing.
Old November 23rd 2014, 03:15 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboudreau71 View Post
Process went extremely well in Calgary, got there at 8, gave out numbered tickets at 9, had tickets by 10:30. People were happy, respectful and we got excellent seats. Kudos to all in YYC for a smooth process.
Agreed. We had a good experience too. Got our floor tickets and were out of there by 11:30. All luck of the draw I guess. Very happy to have my tickets in hand
2015-Aug-13 - Calgary, AB (Saddledome)
2015-Sept-12 - George, WA (The Gorge)
Old November 23rd 2014, 04:01 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymert View Post
I knew what expect. Springsteen does a similar lottery at all his shows to see who gets to enter first among GA ticket holders. I couldn't find much info to post in the forum in regards to BEatTheBots, but have some advice if they do this again in the future.

Get all your partner-in-crimes out there and get in line at different times. You'll greatly increase your chance of getting close to the front after the lottery. After all, you only need four tix.

Don't be afraid to sit alone!! The winner was picked 15 people behind me and my gf. We were like 450th in line. I bought two mediocre tix and sent my gf over to ask politely if they had any good singles available. The worker politely asked my gf not to gloat to others and they proceeded to hook her up with a third row ticket. It made our day!! Sure we might have some seat switching going on during the show, but it goes to show you that these events are truly for the fans. You just gotta think outside the box a little bit.

This was in Mountain View where there is no pit. So it was much more of a nail biter. I know many are bummed about the venue choice.

Sucks for those not knowing what to expect. Was a great time in my humble opinion. Wishing more bands did stuff like this. Was happy for those who were the first few in line.
Don't you think they might either add a show or do another Bay Area venue? Shoreline has about a 22,000 capacity when venues like Wrigley are 41,000 and Fenway is 37,000? That can't be the only show in the Bay Area, can it? I love Shoreline mind you - it's 5 minutes away from my house.

I have no insider info on this, just speculating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaInVA View Post
So, many more people were happier with this way of doing things after all.
It seems that way.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old November 23rd 2014, 05:00 PM
Have you found your way around

Seems like quite a few people don't understand the random lottery process. It's not new - I stood in line for my mom to get Rolling Stones tickets in 1987 using this process. The information was out there in advance and the Honda Center was even passing out a flyer as you parked to inform everyone how it was going to run.

Bottom line, this isn't even the only pre-sale opportunity. It was a bonus chance to go out and have a chance to get tickets before you were sitting at a computer fighting against the bots for a ticket. Not only that, but I saved $20 in fees on each ticket which is pretty great if you ask me.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion about the process. When you have your own mega successful band, I'm sure you will come up with a much better way of selling tickets that will please everyone.