Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 23rd 2014, 05:23 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Default Re: "Beat the Bots" is a waste - don't bother

Yes, I fucked up when it comes to getting all the information. I know. And my issue is more with the venue. But it would make more sense if there was a universal process (all venues do the same raffle) for the raffle. I read that people were randomly handed a wristband with a number or everyone picked a number from a hat or were handed a random number and then a I look at the simple minded bull shit the venue around here pulled. And the way i see it, everybody getting a random number makes more sense than the one number route.
Aug. 10, 2012-OSL
Old November 23rd 2014, 06:57 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Not mad at the Foos; not mad at the theory of the process; not even mad about knowing I could have been "last in line" after the draw. Furious about the fact that I showed up at 8:50, as instructed and was not given a wristband.

It's frustrating to do my research, respect the process, only to be 100th in line AFTER all the people who were given a wristband got their shot.

I should note that I didn't purchase tickets, as I don't want to sound as though I'm complaining about the selection I may have been offered. I left at 10:05 and noticed the ticket booth hadn't opened. I don't even think the "leftovers" line of people that were denied a lottery chance had been notified of such.
Old November 23rd 2014, 07:57 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamwhistle View Post
Not mad at the Foos; not mad at the theory of the process; not even mad about knowing I could have been "last in line" after the draw. Furious about the fact that I showed up at 8:50, as instructed and was not given a wristband.

It's frustrating to do my research, respect the process, only to be 100th in line AFTER all the people who were given a wristband got their shot.

I should note that I didn't purchase tickets, as I don't want to sound as though I'm complaining about the selection I may have been offered. I left at 10:05 and noticed the ticket booth hadn't opened. I don't even think the "leftovers" line of people that were denied a lottery chance had been notified of such.
I was 828 after the random number and there were maybe 100 or so after me before the group of "leftovers". I was able to get GA which is what I wanted and hopefully everyone had a chance for tickets that stayed. I didn't buy tickets until almost 12:30 so it was a waiting game for sure. I hope you get some tickets during the presale.
Old November 23rd 2014, 08:35 PM
WWLD?

The only complaint I have is that I was unable to clone myself so I could be at The Forum and Honda Center at the same time. I chose to go to Honda and despite this being my first experience with the lottery system, knew exactly what I was getting into after reading the thorough explanation distributed from the venue. I think the only part I misunderstood was about the lining up for the wristband and if we didn't get said wristband by 9:30, we would not get one and would be sent to another line. Having arrived by 8:45, and seeing the ginormous line, I had a little bit of anxiety over if I would obtain a wristband in time or not. Rock gods shined down and I made it just in time. From there, everything was left to chance. The random number was drawn and Gabs, Lucas and I ended up w/in the first 150 people allowed to purchase tickets. But man, I am beyond thrilled that those who had to wait much longer, like Sarah, were still able to get their GA tix. As for seat shopping, Honda allowed it and I heard that Forum did as well.

In Portland, I asked a friend if he would be willing to give it a shot. Turns out that venue was first come, first served. He texted me that he was about 500th in line and sent pix of him all bundled up in the rain. I told him to go home and not worry about it. A few hours later, he sent me a pix of 2 GA tix...and told me how much fun he had and that he was able to use the experience to network.

Now come 12/1, I hope to be able to obtain 2 decent seats, or maybe GA, through the online presale for the Forum. If I do, great. If I don't, I'll still have Portland and Honda.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!
Old November 23rd 2014, 09:01 PM
Da doo doo doo, da dah dah dah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleigh View Post
Yes, I fucked up when it comes to getting all the information. I know. And my issue is more with the venue. But it would make more sense if there was a universal process (all venues do the same raffle) for the raffle. I read that people were randomly handed a wristband with a number or everyone picked a number from a hat or were handed a random number and then a I look at the simple minded bull shit the venue around here pulled. And the way i see it, everybody getting a random number makes more sense than the one number route.
What difference does it make how any other venue does it? Each venue should be free to do however they want.
Old November 23rd 2014, 10:17 PM
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North

Quote:
Originally Posted by amastel View Post
What difference does it make how any other venue does it? Each venue should be free to do however they want.
Ummm
Because it's not fair

For some reason
Old November 24th 2014, 12:11 PM
Sparkle Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaInVA View Post
Ummm
Because it's not fair

For some reason
I feel like most venues did it that way so I'm still not sure what's unfair. Whether they draw one number or do numbered wristbands everyone has an equal chance of being first and last. I don't get the issue

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
--James Madison, (1751-1836)

History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.
-Thurgood Marshall, (1908-1993)

Team NIN - Secretary
Old November 24th 2014, 12:17 PM
Have you found your way around

I wouldn't really call it a waste, the only problem with it I see is that it disadvantages people who have to travel for gigs and can't line up for tickets in the actual place of the show. But, unless they actually get a fanclub and sell tickets there, which I know they won't, I don't think there are many other options.
Old November 24th 2014, 01:56 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I don't post very often, but I participated in Beat The Bots and I can see why people were frustrated with their experience and the random wristband draws, etc. but I think my experience was totally worth it.

The closest show to me is the one in Pittsburgh and the venue is about 2.5 hours from my house (and one I've never been to), so I started driving at 5am and pulled up to the venue around 8 and sat in a line of at least 60 cars waiting to get into the parking lot. It was frustrating at first, being alone, because everyone with passengers had their passengers get out of the cars and run to the line. But after parking, I went over as fast as possible and was within the first 100 people. Pittsburgh was first come, first serve, which I thought was very fair.

They had fun music playing and passed out flyers and cupcakes and had someone dressed as a robot that you could "beat" for a chance to win a t-shirt. The box office opened right at 10 and there were about 6 windows open, so it was quick and painless. Scored a couple pit tickets and I'm super excited about it because it's exactly what I wanted.

My only trouble was going home. It was 30 degrees and freezing rain on Saturday in Pittsburgh, so it created quite a mess on the highways, but other than that, I'm happy with the results.
Old November 24th 2014, 02:10 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Bridgestone had no raffle I got 4 tickets and it worked out for pretty much anyone who wanted a seat. I don't understand all the frustration people are having. I think it was really cool how they did this for their fans.
Old November 24th 2014, 04:09 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I Drove 2 hours each way to OKC, was in line at 9. Third guy in line won the drawing so the line stayed the same with about 300 in front of me (around 600 in line total at 10am). Got to ticket counter around 10:40 and got GA tickets. GA and no fees? Best deal I've gotten for tickets in a long time. Since I live so far away I would have just bought online if I could have and it would have cost $30-40 in fees. Spent prob $25 on gas and 5 hours of my time. Still worth it not to have to fight online for them. At least they're trying to cut out the scalpers. I'm sure some of them were in line but it's better than someone with multiple IDs buying dozens of tickets to resale.
Old November 24th 2014, 04:25 PM
I'll Stick Around

No problem with the system at all. Drove 3 hours each way to my nearest city, Edmonton. Got a shitty number, maybe 400 back or so. Waited a solid 4 hours, and was still able to snag a pair of tickets in the lower bowl, which is what I wanted.

Sure in a perfect world I would've liked to be in and out in 10 minutes, but it made for a fun day and overall memorable experience.

Would do this again in a second.
Old November 24th 2014, 06:45 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
I wouldn't really call it a waste, the only problem with it I see is that it disadvantages people who have to travel for gigs and can't line up for tickets in the actual place of the show. But, unless they actually get a fanclub and sell tickets there, which I know they won't, I don't think there are many other options.
I live 150 miles from the closest venue (Nashville) and could not afford the time to travel 300 miles round trip and wait in line. Also, I was not sure of the process and if everyone who showed up would get tickets. I certainly would have been pissed if I drove that far, waited in line, and then didn't get tics. I will try for the pre sale.
Old November 24th 2014, 08:29 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Here in Denver it was "first come first serve"...they stated they were going to hand out wristbands at some point during the morning. We could lineup whenever we wanted...there were no restrictions.

I got up at 3:45am and was in line by 4:30am. There were about 15 people in front of me. It was around 25 degrees and cold...but I was bundled up and ready to go. I made friends with the group around me and we had a great time. The line really started growing around 6am...and I estimate over 2000 people in line by 10am when they started selling tickets. The venue brought out 40 gallons of coffee for the people in line at 9am which was cool. Turned out they did not give out wristbands and everything was very orderly. I scored 4th row center and am so stoked! It was well worth the 5 1/2 hours in line to get that close. Can't wait for the show!

EDIT: We did overhear a conversation with the AEG Promotion people at the front of the line...they said the band had called and said to not "hold any tickets and make sure everyone in line got one". So that is pretty cool.

Last edited by spaceace414 : November 24th 2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old November 24th 2014, 08:42 PM
WWLD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceace414 View Post
Here in Denver it was "first come first serve"...they stated they were going to hand out wristbands at some point during the morning. We could lineup whenever we wanted...there were no restrictions.

I got up at 3:45am and was in line by 4:30am. There were about 15 people in front of me. It was around 25 degrees and cold...but I was bundled up and ready to go. I made friends with the group around me and we had a great time. The line really started growing around 6am...and I estimate over 2000 people in line by 10am when they started selling tickets. The venue brought out 40 gallons of coffee for the people in line at 9am which was cool. Turned out they did not give out wristbands and everything was very orderly. I scored 4th row center and am so stoked! It was well worth the 5 1/2 hours in line to get that close. Can't wait for the show!
This makes me smile. I love when it works out so well... and it seems like you had a master plan and a great attitude!! Good on you! I'm not one to wish time away because life is too short as it is, but I am so totally looking forward to September 2015!!!
Old November 24th 2014, 09:18 PM
I'll Stick Around

Kudos to those who were lucky enough to get a venue with seats up front (rather than just a GA floor) and landed close seats by waiting in line. I would have loved to have had that chance.
07/14/97 Tulsa, OK
09/24/97 Dallas, TX
06/06/00 Dallas, TX
10/22/00 Las Vegas, NV
10/29/00 SF, CA
04/22/03 Dallas, TX
09/15/05 Dallas, TX
01/23/08 Dallas, TX
07/04/15 Washington, DC
11/15/17 Tulsa, OK
Old November 24th 2014, 09:44 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourettes2400 View Post
Bridgestone had no raffle I got 4 tickets and it worked out for pretty much anyone who wanted a seat. I don't understand all the frustration people are having. I think it was really cool how they did this for their fans.
I agree 100%. I don't get the frustration at all. If you weren't able to participate in 'beat the bots' for whatever reason, aren't you at least happy that many real fans got good tickets? I loved this plan. I think it was a fabulous idea and I hope they do it exactly the same way for future tours.
Old November 24th 2014, 10:02 PM
Harriet Jones, MP for Flydale North

Real Fans™
Old November 24th 2014, 10:12 PM
Visiting is pretty...

First time posting here. That aside...

I awoke at 5am Saturday morning. Got myself ready and out the door by 6:34am. Arrived at the Honda Center sometime around 8:34am. Received my wristband at 9:00am, and awaited the announcement for what the starting number would be. I didn't feel lucky when the number was well after what was on my wristband. Which meant that there were at least 800+ people ahead of me.

However, when I made it up to the box office window, I asked for GA floor and was rewarded with them. I spent four hours of my time and scored exactly what I wanted and left the venue at 12:30pm very content.

Additionally, I checked my GA tix numbers. They are #117 & 118. Which meant, only 116 GA floor tickets were purchased before me. Which makes it understandable that the majority of tix bought before I got to the box office were for reserved seating.

Looking forward to next September! I am thankful and most grateful for this Beat the Bots presale! Went much more smoothly than I anticipated!
Old November 24th 2014, 10:44 PM
WWLD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDevyl View Post
First time posting here. That aside...

I awoke at 5am Saturday morning. Got myself ready and out the door by 6:34am. Arrived at the Honda Center sometime around 8:34am. Received my wristband at 9:00am, and awaited the announcement for what the starting number would be. I didn't feel lucky when the number was well after what was on my wristband. Which meant that there were at least 800+ people ahead of me.
Long drive...where did you come in from? Glad it all worked out well for you. I only had to make the 20 min drive from Long Beach.

Got lucky for the most part and was able get in and out of Honda in under 2 hours, I think. Made my way to Old Navy for the 50% off store sale.... I guarantee that I stood longer in line at Old Navy to check out than many had to stand in line for Foo tix.