Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 21st 2017, 09:24 PM
the space walker

Default Re: Goldsmith about his departure from the foos

William Goldsmith? meh.

Best day of my life

23/01/2006 Milan, Mazda Palace
19/09/2017 London, O2 Arena
Old July 22nd 2017, 07:45 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
William Goldsmith? meh.
Youtube -> search for "Im OK Eur-Ok" -> watch
Old July 22nd 2017, 08:27 AM
How Do You Do

I miss the days of crowdsurfing to 'Big Me'.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old August 7th 2017, 04:45 PM
Never knowing who to believe

I'll admit that the money thing is a little messed up . . . he played on what amounts to three songs, so he should get 3/13 of 1/4 of the cash from the album, or 4/17 of 1/4 for the extended version. At least in my opinion.

Only making a few thousand bucks cash (if he's being honest) isn't right, but then again, pretty much every band I like screwed an ex-member at some point.

I'm sure his whiny piss-poor attitude has something to do with it. (I can see why he'd be annoying to be around for extended periods of time).

He's a big boy . . . if he feels he got screwed, instead of bitching to the press, go get a lawyer and get his money. It's not like Dave is his friend.

Last edited by E. Stacked Actor : August 7th 2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old August 8th 2017, 04:48 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Stacked Actor View Post
I'll admit that the money thing is a little messed up . . . he played on what amounts to three songs, so he should get 3/13 of 1/4 of the cash from the album, or 4/17 of 1/4 for the extended version. At least in my opinion.

Only making a few thousand bucks cash (if he's being honest) isn't right, but then again, pretty much every band I like screwed an ex-member at some point.

I'm sure his whiny piss-poor attitude has something to do with it. (I can see why he'd be annoying to be around for extended periods of time).

He's a big boy . . . if he feels he got screwed, instead of bitching to the press, go get a lawyer and get his money. It's not like Dave is his friend.
That's not how royalties are divided - the bulk goes to the songwriter, not who played the instruments.

Entertainment Centre, Wellington, NZ - Nov 25, 2005
Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - May 5, 2008
Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - May 6, 2008
Western Springs, Auckland, NZ - Dec 13, 2011
Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, NZ - Feb 21, 2015
Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, NZ - Feb 3, 2018
TCV - Brisbane Riverstage, AUS - Jan 25, 2010
TCV - Entertainment Centre, Wellington, NZ - Jan 29, 2010
Creator of the first completely silent album on iTunes.
TWITTER: @BrettBlackNZ
Old August 8th 2017, 01:26 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Will Goldsmith's new band, Brawly Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
he's not entirely wrong, things might be a little exaggerated by himself and especially the Daily Mail but he's right to be unhappy about how things were handled, he did a ton of work that was scrapped without him knowing and Dave himself admitted to wishing things were dealt with differently.

I think it's an insteresting read more as a further glimpse into how things happened then, just need to get past the tabloid sensationalism approach to it.
Life sucks sometimes. Even Dave is human and it was a long time ago. Sometimes things don't work out. Welcome to life.
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2012
Milwaukee, WI Wasting Light Tour 2012
Cubby Bear, Sonic Highways Chicago, 2014
Indianapolis, Sonic Highways IN 2015
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2017
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old September 2nd 2017, 01:14 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I suppose this is Dave's answer to Wlliam.

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyl...ur-rock-n-roll

"Grohl, who had visited Singapore in 1992 while on a promotional tour with grunge icons Nirvana, still remembers his maiden concert here with The Foo Fighters. And that concert at the nowdefunct WTC Harbour Pavilion almost did not come to pass. "We were going to cancel it because our drummer at the time wasn't feeling well," says Grohl. Grohl, who was also the drummer of Nirvana before starting The Foo Fighters, even offered to play drums, since the Foos' then-drummer William Goldsmith could not decide if he was well enough to play or not. "I'll play drums and sing, but we've to play everything really mellow," he recalls telling the rest of the band. Thinking that the show was no longer on, Grohl remembers going to the "outdoor seafood market" for a meal, walking back into the hotel only to be told they were still going to play the show, alongside fellow American rockers Sonic Youth.
As for Goldsmith? "He's not in the band anymore," deadpans Grohl"
Old September 3rd 2017, 03:51 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia F View Post
I suppose this is Dave's answer to Wlliam.

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyl...ur-rock-n-roll

"Grohl, who had visited Singapore in 1992 while on a promotional tour with grunge icons Nirvana, still remembers his maiden concert here with The Foo Fighters. And that concert at the nowdefunct WTC Harbour Pavilion almost did not come to pass. "We were going to cancel it because our drummer at the time wasn't feeling well," says Grohl. Grohl, who was also the drummer of Nirvana before starting The Foo Fighters, even offered to play drums, since the Foos' then-drummer William Goldsmith could not decide if he was well enough to play or not. "I'll play drums and sing, but we've to play everything really mellow," he recalls telling the rest of the band. Thinking that the show was no longer on, Grohl remembers going to the "outdoor seafood market" for a meal, walking back into the hotel only to be told they were still going to play the show, alongside fellow American rockers Sonic Youth.
As for Goldsmith? "He's not in the band anymore," deadpans Grohl"
Great catch there! It's highly unlikely to be made up, and exactly when (in the middle of an interview in what would normally be considered a more "safe - less reported" place to expand a thought) he might mention it.

And fair to say that if true, as with all things, it's more than one thing (the well thrashed re-recording on TCATS) that creates the straws on the camel's back.
Old September 3rd 2017, 02:51 PM
I'll Stick Around

I don't think this was posted

http://kiroradio.com/listen/10020938/

It's a radio interview with William, given after the infamous Daily Mail article

He basically repeats his theory that it was not about his drumming (according to him, the re-recorded drums were exactly identical to his). It was about Gil Norton wanting Dave to drum from the start and pressuring them both until that happened (he blames Gil more directly here, but also Dave for not sticking up for him).

So clearly after all this time, there are still some serious misunderstandings about what happened. In Back and Forth, Dave is very clear that he was NOT happy with William's drumming, and he takes responsibility for the decision to re-record.

William also gives more detail about his royalties claims: the main thing seems to be that the additional tracks they released for the 10th anniversary of TCATS had him playing the drums, and that he wasn't credited for that. (the song TCATS, the Gary Numan cover, and a couple live tracks)

Also has some lovely passive-aggressive words for Nate (along the lines of, if he's willing to be "creatively belittled" by Dave, good for him), and for Dave. According to him the FF's success was all bought by heavy marketing ramming the songs down everyone's throat, and Dave steals his melodies from nursery rhymes.

It sounds like William may have a fair point about royalties, and I hope he gets his due. But damn, what a shitty way to go about it. Some seriously low blows in there, I'm not surprised Dave is pissed. I hope he finds it in him to be the bigger person :-/
Old September 3rd 2017, 03:22 PM
How Do You Do

09:50 : "Gil really really wanted to produce a record that had Dave Grohl playing drums on"... oh wow, big revelation (not sarcasm)

Admin @FooFightersUK

Last edited by O.B.gene : September 3rd 2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old September 3rd 2017, 03:41 PM
I'll Stick Around

well, Dave has definitely given some thought to nursery rhymes in rock lol, he's said several times that Kurt wanted his songs to sound like them

then there's The Pretender, which he freely admits has a line similar to a Sesame Street song

and Arlandria, which references "rain rain goes away"

so there's a tiny grain of truth there, but it would take someone seriously embittered to try and build it up into something ugly

Edit: post I responded to was edited, so this makes no sense anymore. I swear I'm not talking to myself...

Last edited by FrenchEnemies : September 3rd 2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old September 3rd 2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
09:50 : "Gil really really wanted to produce a record that had Dave Grohl playing drums on"... oh wow, big revelation (not sarcasm)
That makes sense. Wasn't it Gil who referred to Goldsmith as the "rhythm-less section"?
Old September 3rd 2017, 10:14 PM
How Do You Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
That makes sense.
that shouldn't make sense, really. Gil Norton putting his name and career ahead of the needs of the band?!

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old September 3rd 2017, 10:25 PM

I read it as Gil wanting to make the Foo record with Dave drumming instead of William.

I guess it could also mean he just wanted to make any record with Dave drumming. Full stop. That would be odd.
Old September 3rd 2017, 10:36 PM
How Do You Do

Quote:
I guess it could also mean he just wanted to make any record with Dave drumming. Full stop. That would be odd.
I read that as wanting to record any album, with the drummer from Nirvana recording drums. for his own reputation. sounds like he had his own personal agenda ? Goldsmith's take on it, of course.

Admin @FooFightersUK

Last edited by O.B.gene : September 3rd 2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old September 3rd 2017, 10:47 PM
There's something out there...

Quote:
That makes sense. Wasn't it Gil who referred to Goldsmith as the "rhythm-less section"?

Taylor is also on record saying he didn't like working with Gil either. That would kind of be consistent with this.
Old September 3rd 2017, 11:17 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Is this the first real confirmation that Goldsmith played drums on TCATS song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchEnemies View Post
He basically repeats his theory that it was not about his drumming (according to him, the re-recorded drums were exactly identical to his). It was about Gil Norton wanting Dave to drum from the start and pressuring them both until that happened (he blames Gil more directly here, but also Dave for not sticking up for him).
I don't know any more than anyone else about what happened in this particular instance, but I think the broadest explanation possible is that Dave just wasn't ready to give up the drums yet. He played half the drums on the next record, TINLTL, for no reason other than he simply wanted to play them.

Quote:
Both Nate and Will, although Norton says he doesn't remember saying that.

Last edited by OldFooFan : September 4th 2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old September 4th 2017, 09:00 AM
I'll Stick Around

if anyone's interested, that's the Gil Norton interview that pissed off William and made him think Gil was setting him up from the start

http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/gil-nor...in-production/
Old September 4th 2017, 11:53 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFooFan View Post

I don't know any more than anyone else about what happened in this particular instance, but I think the broadest explanation possible is that Dave just wasn't ready to give up the drums yet. He played half the drums on the next record, TINLTL, for no reason other than he simply wanted to play themz
Well the official line is that Taylor wanted Dave to play them all and had to be convinced to play some of it.

Quote:
"I think it was important to him that I played some of the drums on that record because I was having a hard time in the studio" recalled Hawkins. "It was when I was still messing around with drugs and I remember just wanting Dave to play the drums on everything. And he wouldn't allow it. He really pushed me and pushed me to finish it and do the work. It's good that he did that because it really gave me confidence in the end. I was really lacking experience at that time, and I had no confidence being 'Dave's drummer'. "

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old September 4th 2017, 04:03 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Here we go again!

Please Dave, release William's drum tracks and let's end this conversation!

Please William, tell us in which planet you record better than Dave and I promise to raise funds to send you there!

A guy who play Drums and can't listen difference in consistence and sound on different drummers is not a real drummer.

IMHO Dave improved 'My Hero' with intro drums overdub, and better foot work. I doubt Williams played the Bonham tripplet in 'Enough Space' (0:32). 'Up in Arms' was Rearranged with the more upbeat parts. I really doubt Williams recorded 'Hey Johnny Park with' all the interesting drum things Dave did. Although, the majority of drum arrangements are indeed the same, I bet they sound completly different.

To me is clear why he left the band. I wanna thank William, 20 years have passed and now I understand. The guy are ungrateful as fuck and such an annoying 45 years adolescent. This behaviour probably was shown during Bear Creek sessions and William was sent home! I'm just kidding!

I'm not Dave's advocate but Foo Fighters are a entreprise in wich all investments were done by Dave. Is his money, and his risk. So whatever decision he make I will respect no matter what, and so far all the decisions are proven right!

That's real adult life! Investments are done and you need to makey money to making a living. Probably, Gil and Dave didn't think the album was a final and viable product, and they decided to rework, and we thank them, because TCATS is fucking awesome!

Does anyone know how much they paid for the Bear Creek sessions? Probably, is the real million dollar demos, wich explain Dave's rework looking for a better result in a cheaper studio.