Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Foo Side Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 3rd 2011, 03:10 AM
sterney sterney is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 27
Default is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

I cant stand Homme but i feel like a traitor saying it
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old August 3rd 2011, 03:36 AM
nenxe's Avatar
nenxe nenxe is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Foo Brunswick
Posts: 285
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

I dunno, but if it does I'm a traitor too.

I can't stand Homme. I'm not a fan of QOTSA because of his vocals.
I loved TCV's heavy rhythm-based sound but his voice just ruins it for me.
Now, if Dave sang for TCV...
But I understand that's now what it's about.

Also he goes too far when he's angry at fans.
__________________
Proudly Canadian.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 3rd 2011, 12:26 PM
Kathi's Avatar
Kathi Kathi is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: over the hills and far away (Italy/Austria)
Posts: 2,282
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

As he's not in the band, I doubt that should be a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old August 3rd 2011, 01:07 PM
Bexster's Avatar
Bexster Bexster is offline
Raider of Lost Arks
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chillin out, maxing, relaxing all cool
Posts: 25,991
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

It is a free world. You can like and dislike whatever and whomever you choose.
__________________
Calippos are made from calipers and hippos

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 3rd 2011, 06:30 PM
Tim's Avatar
Tim Tim is offline
The Boss
 
Join Date: Jul 1995
Location: Divine Providence RI
Posts: 27,821
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

They're pretty dramatically different bands. I'm not sure why anyone would necessarily hate Josh, but you sure as shit don't have to like QOTSA to like this band. Lord knows, the reverse is true to a lot of their fans
__________________
-Tim
Step 4: Start band.
@montefisto13
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 3rd 2011, 06:37 PM
Epic Failure's Avatar
Epic Failure Epic Failure is offline
The Cookie Is A Lie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Heart of Transylvania
Posts: 27,697
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

I would say that disliking Queens because of Josh's voice is perhaps a bit odd, considering that half the tracks (and a lot of the good tracks in my opinion) on Rated R and SFTD don't have him on lead vocals.

Obv, that's not true for the more recent albums (or the s/t) but not everything about that band relies on Josh.

As for disliking him as a person, well, given that he's pretty good mates with Dave, you're sort of saying that Dave either doesn't have a good taste in friends or you think Dave is a bit of a douche. Just saying.

But, at the end of the day, you don't have to like anything if you don't want to. Not liking Nirvana doesn't prevent you liking the Foos.
__________________
Mutare Vel Timere Sperno
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 3rd 2011, 09:55 PM
Ash-Myh3ro's Avatar
Ash-Myh3ro Ash-Myh3ro is offline
You're A Retard Anyway
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bristol, England
Posts: 285
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Failure View Post
As for disliking him as a person, well, given that he's pretty good mates with Dave, you're sort of saying that Dave either doesn't have a good taste in friends or you think Dave is a bit of a douche. Just saying.
After meeting Dave I know which one I would side with!
__________________
25/5/07 Mcr 24/11/99 mcr acdmy
25/11/99 Brix 6/12/00 Mcr Apollo
7/12/00 Brm 18/08/01 VFest
24/08/02 Read 26/08/02 LdnAstoria
30/08/02 ULU 16/11/02 MEN arena
19/11/02 Schk 19/11/02 NIA
20/11/02 CIA 22/11/02 Wembley
26/11/02 BBC 16/08/03 VFest
10/12/05 Millenn 14/12/05 MEN
17/12/05 Els crt 18/12/05 EarlsCourt
14/06/06 Apollo 16/06/06 Scheck
16/06/06 Cmden 18/06/06 LCC
03/11/07 MEN 13/11/07 CIA
06/06/08 Wbly 03/07/11 MK BWL
15/09/14 invictus
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 4th 2011, 12:19 AM
Felipe.'s Avatar
Felipe. Felipe. is offline
A star burned out
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,644
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

I get the sense that Josh is someone who struggles with popularity and loses his temper from time to time, and if that's the case, I don't think this would make him a douchebag, it's just a personality flaw and he'll be a great guy if in a respectful situation with fans.

you also have to take in consideration the fact that this aspect of their profession IS NOT easy, because even Dave, the nicest guy in the business can't take some bullshit his fans are involved with, that alone is a good indicator of that. there's the now famous iTunes situation because it was caught on professional image shooting and easily spread out with the internet, but it's not a secret that it wasn't the first time. Tim mentioned a specific situation where he refunded an annoying fan just so he could kick the kid out of the show and that is just one among other similar situations.

I don't know Josh and the only thing I see him failing at, is self control at these situations, not knowing him is also the reason I stick to this aspect, he might be a douche, I don't know, but I HIGHLY doubt it, because I don't think Dave would get along with someone like that and from interviews and general videos of Josh interacting with his bandmates, he always seems like having fun, laughing at Dave's goofy behaviour, making funny jokes or whatever.

so yeah, for me, there isn't one single reason not to like the guy. you can dislike his voice, no one has to like everything, but that don't justify calling him a douche. and as for being a bad Foo fan because of that, I just can't see the relation. there's THEIR relation with projects and whatnot, but yours is just a vision of completely different ones.
__________________
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 4th 2011, 12:22 AM
anthontherun anthontherun is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 78
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenxe View Post
I loved TCV's heavy rhythm-based sound but his voice just ruins it for me.
Now, if Dave sang for TCV...
Totally agree. That album has some badass riffs and incredible playing but I hate the guy's voice. And IMO it doesn't really suit the music; he's too nasal. I remember reading an article that implied that Paul McCartney was interested in joining TCV when it was starting up but was turned down because John Paul Jones was on bass already. They should've brought Paul on just as a singer at least. (My guess is the story's bollocks though; can't imagine Dave turning down an opportunity to play with Paul, and when one's a Beatle and the other's from Led Zeppelin, I'm pretty sure your band can get away with having two bassists)

Personality-wise, I know nothing about the guy so I dunno. He seemed ok in most of the TCV interviews I've read.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 4th 2011, 12:30 AM
Gabrielle Gabrielle is offline
Never knowing who to believe
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 17,688
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Wwffd?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old August 4th 2011, 12:35 AM
OldFooFan's Avatar
OldFooFan OldFooFan is offline
Cause everyone's just too weird
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,600
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Homme would have to step up his game to beat this.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old August 5th 2011, 12:16 AM
Skezz's Avatar
Skezz Skezz is offline
I'm a Muggle Fuggin' Wizard
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Coventry
Posts: 10,803
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Mark Lanegan lost it once at a gig I have a boot off.
Quote:
"You're paying good money to come up here and give me shit, I ought to kick your fucking head in. Fuck out of here. Hey, is there any security guys in here 'cause my mom is giving me a hard time. Come on, mom. I know we've had our differences, but I'm trying to work. Do I come down to 7-11 and unplug the slurpie machine when you're working? Do I come kick the stall door in at the Greyhound Station when you're giving head? Then why do you come here and give me shit while I'm working? What's your fucking problem, lady? It's not my fault genetics weren't kind to you--"

At which point Josh Homme intervened: "Don't give 'em any more shit, Mark."

And Lanegan concluded: "I am singing, why don't you shut the fuck up."
And if you've ever seen Mark sing live the guy hardly opens his eyes and never loosens his grip on the mic during the whole performance. The talking to the crowd is to a minimum and often he lets a band member do the talking for him.
So it just shows that it can happen to anyone Josh just tends to go off more.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old August 5th 2011, 11:46 AM
Sophie's Avatar
Sophie Sophie is offline
How's that for a slice of fried gold?!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: The Shire
Posts: 32,846
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Failure View Post
As for disliking him as a person, well, given that he's pretty good mates with Dave, you're sort of saying that Dave either doesn't have a good taste in friends or you think Dave is a bit of a douche. Just saying.
Really? I couldn't give a fuck who anybody is friends with bar myself. Just because you're friends with someone I don't like doesn't mean that you have bad taste in friends. It means everyone is diffferent and some people get on with others more.


And to the original post, NO. Just because you like the Foos doesn't mean you have to like everything else related to Dave ever.
Do you people really have to ask these stupid questions!?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old August 5th 2011, 12:28 PM
BigCol's Avatar
BigCol BigCol is offline
I don't have a cofee problem.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 7,140
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

I have good friends who are friends with some complete wankers. That's life for sure.

Make your own mind up really, I like Josh and his rock n roll swagger but I can see why people might dislike him too. Horses for courses innit.
__________________
Here's a little ditty...it's called I'll Stick Around

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old August 5th 2011, 02:15 PM
nenxe's Avatar
nenxe nenxe is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Foo Brunswick
Posts: 285
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
And to the original post, NO. Just because you like the Foos doesn't mean you have to like everything else related to Dave ever.
Do you people really have to ask these stupid questions!?
Apparently no one understands a rhetorical question in the interest of conversation.
Obviously the OP isn't asking permission to not like Joshua Homme, he's saying, "Hey I don't like Josh Homme. Anyone else? Discuss."
__________________
Proudly Canadian.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old August 5th 2011, 03:14 PM
Epic Failure's Avatar
Epic Failure Epic Failure is offline
The Cookie Is A Lie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Heart of Transylvania
Posts: 27,697
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Really? I couldn't give a fuck who anybody is friends with bar myself. Just because you're friends with someone I don't like doesn't mean that you have bad taste in friends. It means everyone is diffferent and some people get on with others more.
I stand by my statement. If I see a friend of mine being close friends with people I think are absolute dicks from my own personal experiences, my opinion of them is going to be influenced. Doesn't mean i'll stop being friends with them, but you form views by the evidence around you and social interaction is part of that. Judging people by the society they keep and all that.
__________________
Mutare Vel Timere Sperno
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old August 5th 2011, 11:07 PM
.Milly's Avatar
.Milly .Milly is offline
Never knowing who to believe
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Home.
Posts: 12,850
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Failure View Post
As for disliking him as a person, well, given that he's pretty good mates with Dave, you're sort of saying that Dave either doesn't have a good taste in friends or you think Dave is a bit of a douche. Just saying.
I have a couple of douchebag friends who I find hilarious and entertaining but many other people don't, I'm pretty sure I'm not a douche.

I would more than happily be in the middle of a josh and dave sandwich.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old August 5th 2011, 11:10 PM
Epic Failure's Avatar
Epic Failure Epic Failure is offline
The Cookie Is A Lie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Heart of Transylvania
Posts: 27,697
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Milly View Post
I have a couple of douchebag friends who I find hilarious and entertaining but many other people don't, I'm pretty sure I'm not a douche.
I did say "a bit of a douche". I'm not suggesting that everybody is exactly like all their friends, but I refuse to accept that people are friends with people who they have nothing in common with. Therefore, if you think person 1 is a douche, you are likely to think person 2 can be a bit of a douche at times as well if they get on with person 1.
__________________
Mutare Vel Timere Sperno
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old August 6th 2011, 06:00 AM
FooDog's Avatar
FooDog FooDog is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Posts: 51
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

To each their own. I personally love both bands for totally different reasons. A little diversity and alot of talent in both. And when Dave and Josh get together musically, magic things happen
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old August 7th 2011, 10:51 PM
Nick Patient's Avatar
Nick Patient Nick Patient is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: France, Île de Ré, La Rochelle
Posts: 37
Wink Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Hate 'Songs for the deaf' (Only QOTSA Album I've heard) and Homme ruins Vultures for me but I don't take a personal disliking to him, I've just always really hated his music.

I think he and his band are terribly mediocre but then again I've seen loads of say the same about Dave and Foo's.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.