Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old January 4th 2015, 10:41 PM
FooZealand's Avatar
FooZealand FooZealand is offline
Easy For YOU To Say
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,756
Default Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Ho View Post
Greetings, experts in the thread, I need your help to calm my nerves.

I am from Canada but live in Hong Kong for work. Most of the stuff that I order online goes to my Canadian address cause I have no room in my apt here and just shipping costs.

I FINALLY purchased a Late - Pocketwatch cassette. The seller's description seemed OK and he had a full rating. I finally talked to my mother and she said that it looked a little fake.

She's no expert in these sorts of things but it got me thinking. I didn't even know people would do through the trouble of faking these things but reading this thread thoroughly gives me suspicions.

I spent a hefty penny on this.

I was wondering if a few of the people in this thread could tell me what they think about the legitimacy of my purchase.

Thanks for your time:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1614839991...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
That looks fine to me - of course that's the auction pictures - you really want to be holding it. The bubbled label is a good sign of age and totally correct for the glue Simple used - more have raising labels now than don't, and they come up just like that.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old January 7th 2015, 02:31 AM
M.Ho's Avatar
M.Ho M.Ho is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,286
Default Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
That looks fine to me - of course that's the auction pictures - you really want to be holding it. The bubbled label is a good sign of age and totally correct for the glue Simple used - more have raising labels now than don't, and they come up just like that.
Thank you for your easing of my mind.

I cant wait to see and hold it in person.

My mother thought I was insane when she saw the price but it is something that I did not have.
__________________
July 1st, 1998 @ Molson Park
August 11th, 2000 @ Molson Park
October 29th, 2002 @ Opera House
July 7th, 2003 @ Arrow Hall
August 13th, 2005 @ Molson Amphiteatre
August 23rd, 2006 @ Hummingbird Centre
November 7th, 2006 @ Air Canada Centre
March 17th, 2008 @ Bell Centre
August 9th, 2011 @ Air Canada Centre
July 9th, 2015 @ Molson Amphitheatre
July 10th, 2015 @ Molson Amphitheatre
August 26th, 2017 @ National Stadium, Singapore
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old January 7th 2015, 09:21 AM
FooZealand's Avatar
FooZealand FooZealand is offline
Easy For YOU To Say
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,756
Default Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Ho View Post
Thank you for your easing of my mind.

I cant wait to see and hold it in person.

My mother thought I was insane when she saw the price but it is something that I did not have.
Of all the things that are very expensive that you might not have, it's the one thing that is really worth that sort of price. Air it out when it is warm (to remove any moisture possibly inside) - even wait until it is summer to do it - then zip lock it in an airtight bag. Bubble wrap and store somewhere cool and dark. Play test it first if you have the ability but a visual sign that the tape looks nice and wound all the way to one end with nothing that looks like mold from being wet etc is probably just as good - find a way to rewind it though if it is part played. These tapes have generally lasted surprisingly well from everything I have seen.

Congrats
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old January 7th 2015, 10:58 AM
geo.'s Avatar
geo. geo. is offline
Grave Rohl
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Meowbourne
Posts: 8,354
Default Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
Of all the things that are very expensive that you might not have, it's the one thing that is really worth that sort of price. Air it out when it is warm (to remove any moisture possibly inside) - even wait until it is summer to do it - then zip lock it in an airtight bag. Bubble wrap and store somewhere cool and dark. Play test it first if you have the ability but a visual sign that the tape looks nice and wound all the way to one end with nothing that looks like mold from being wet etc is probably just as good - find a way to rewind it though if it is part played. These tapes have generally lasted surprisingly well from everything I have seen.

Congrats
Seems excessive. What's the point in owning it if your gonna store it away in an air tight light tight box?
Mine sits on the shelf in my study/music room. I played it when I first got it but no longer have a cassette player on hand...It's still in Excellent condition.j

Then again, I was lucky enough to get mine pretty damn cheap so.
__________________
I feel awful, let's do it again!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old January 7th 2015, 09:16 PM
FooZealand's Avatar
FooZealand FooZealand is offline
Easy For YOU To Say
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,756
Default Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo. View Post
What's the point in owning it if your gonna store it away in an air tight light tight box?
It depends on your perspective. If you want to display it fine. If you buy it with any intention that you want to keep the actual musical medium long term then you have to look at it entirely differently. If I had done that with mine there would probably be no restoration project going on so I guess that's your answer. This is not a poster.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old July 10th 2015, 06:53 AM
Clockwork Clockwork is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1
Default Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes

Hello all. I'm putting my Late! tape up on eBay today, its the "2nd gen" as I learned today in this thread. I figured I'd ask you guys what the going rate would be for such a thing? I don't wanna rip myself off, especially because I've owned this particular piece for over 20 years!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191626863038...84.m1555.l2649
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old June 22nd 2017, 02:35 PM
gebeau31 gebeau31 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 37
Default Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes

Thanks for the info - this answers my question from the other thread.

On another note: Any idea why I cannot see threads on the "Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings" sub-forum? When I click on the sub-forum, I get a grand total of four threads (two sticky, two normal). The only way I found this thread was through a google search.
__________________
10/23/17 - Bridgestone Arena - Nashville, TN
10/21/17 - Rupp Arena - Lexington, KY
10/12/17 - The Anthem - Washington, D.C.

10/5/15 - Bridgestone Arena - Nashville, TN
7/4/15 - RFK Stadium - Washington, DC
11/7/11 - Gwinnett Arena - Duluth, GA
5/20/11 - FedEx Forum - Memphis, TN
10/4/07 - Tabernacle - Atlanta, GA
7/17/06 - Civic Theatre - San Diego, CA
4/15/03 - UCSD Rimac - San Diego, CA
7/11/00 - Camden Waterfront - Camden, NJ
5/15/98 - William Patterson U. - Wayne, NJ
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old June 22nd 2017, 03:10 PM
lharris92 lharris92 is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: england
Posts: 1,694
Default Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebeau31 View Post
Thanks for the info - this answers my question from the other thread.

On another note: Any idea why I cannot see threads on the "Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings" sub-forum? When I click on the sub-forum, I get a grand total of four threads (two sticky, two normal). The only way I found this thread was through a google search.
Top left there is a link "User CP". click that, then go to edit options.

Scroll down to thread display options, and there is an option under this:
Default Thread Age Cut Off
You may specify a time period from which to display threads. Threads older than the age you specify will not be shown.

you change it there and save changes (i have mine on "show all threads").
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old June 22nd 2017, 03:22 PM
gebeau31 gebeau31 is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 37
Default Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharris92 View Post
Top left there is a link "User CP". click that, then go to edit options.

Scroll down to thread display options, and there is an option under this:
Default Thread Age Cut Off
You may specify a time period from which to display threads. Threads older than the age you specify will not be shown.

you change it there and save changes (i have mine on "show all threads").
Excellent, thanks! I thought I was losing my mind.
__________________
10/23/17 - Bridgestone Arena - Nashville, TN
10/21/17 - Rupp Arena - Lexington, KY
10/12/17 - The Anthem - Washington, D.C.

10/5/15 - Bridgestone Arena - Nashville, TN
7/4/15 - RFK Stadium - Washington, DC
11/7/11 - Gwinnett Arena - Duluth, GA
5/20/11 - FedEx Forum - Memphis, TN
10/4/07 - Tabernacle - Atlanta, GA
7/17/06 - Civic Theatre - San Diego, CA
4/15/03 - UCSD Rimac - San Diego, CA
7/11/00 - Camden Waterfront - Camden, NJ
5/15/98 - William Patterson U. - Wayne, NJ
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old June 23rd 2017, 11:28 AM
lharris92 lharris92 is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: england
Posts: 1,694
Default Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebeau31 View Post
Excellent, thanks! I thought I was losing my mind.
took me a bit of time to find it originally. no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old January 26th 2018, 12:43 AM
FooZealand's Avatar
FooZealand FooZealand is offline
Easy For YOU To Say
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,756
Default Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckafoo View Post
I just recently purchased this cassette from a guy who had the whole Simple Machines Tool Set. It's the Version 3: Red On Yellow With Black Overlay, but it has Simple Machines - 3510 North Eighth Street Arlington Virginia as the address. Don't know if this is a common variation.
I now have this one too - so we definitely need an update. This will be version two of five. And I am aware of some hybrids as well - where Nth 8 street/PO Box tapes got sent out with the wrong jcard and vice versa

Main point now will be that color/colour does NOT by itself denote version sequence. They clearly did black on yellow AND red on yellow at BOTH addresses. ALL North 8th STreet copies will be earlier than PO Box versions.
__________________
Meanwhile Down Under...

Last edited by FooZealand : January 26th 2018 at 01:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.