Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Foo Fighters Collections and Recordings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 1st 2013, 06:43 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Default Re: LATE Pocketwatch - The Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I've heard at least half a dozen tapes transferred all of varying quality and completeness through FFL and other places, after all of those we decided on one copy which was the best quality last year. This one, if you want it.

However because of how they were made and as you point out tape degrade through time and wear the more tapes we transfer the better, an even better copy could be and probably is out there.

It's important they're transferred on a high quality tape deck though, just any old tape deck will probably not get the most out of it. If anyone has a tape they want getting transferred I can arrange that, either in Europe or the US. It's obviously hard to get many takers because of how valuable the tape is.
All true. I wasn't suggesting not trying to get the best audio reproduction. Pat was implying it might be possible to tell which was the best sounding version to own. Two different issues. I admit I've never tried to dub mine and I should. It's sealed airtight and has been for years. I have a top end Yamaha Japanese deck, so I should really do that
Old February 1st 2013, 11:28 AM
The Sidekick

Ah yes sorry, I see what you and he meant now. I agree with you on that one though, you would need untouched, unplayed control tapes to really judge which version was best the day they were first sent out.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old February 1st 2013, 02:04 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
All true. I wasn't suggesting not trying to get the best audio reproduction. Pat was implying it might be possible to tell which was the best sounding version to own. Two different issues. I admit I've never tried to dub mine and I should. It's sealed airtight and has been for years. I have a top end Yamaha Japanese deck, so I should really do that
Yup, a nice transfer with azimuth adjustment of the 1st two releases might potentially give a great result.

www.foofighterslive.com - If you recorded a Foo Fighters or a Nirvana concert or know someone who did, please let me know!
"Crime is redeemed by remorse, but not by a blow of the axe or slipknot. Blood has to be washed by tears but not by blood." - Victor Hugo.
Old February 1st 2013, 02:06 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
I've heard at least half a dozen tapes transferred all of varying quality and completeness through FFL and other places, after all of those we decided on one copy which was the best quality last year. This one, if you want it.
What is that transfer's detail ?

www.foofighterslive.com - If you recorded a Foo Fighters or a Nirvana concert or know someone who did, please let me know!
"Crime is redeemed by remorse, but not by a blow of the axe or slipknot. Blood has to be washed by tears but not by blood." - Victor Hugo.
Old February 1st 2013, 02:17 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre View Post
What is that transfer's detail ?
Forgot to note that, it's JWBs remaster of your latest transfer, Jeremy's tape was it?

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old February 1st 2013, 02:35 PM
I'll Stick Around

There's a third tape out there... blowing the second tape (Jeremy's) by far, you never got ahold of it ?

Old February 1st 2013, 02:54 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
There's a third tape out there... blowing the second tape (Jeremy's) by far, you never got ahold of it ?
Yes it'll be that one, I couldn't remember whose tape it was. June 2011 I've got it listed as?

--
Old February 1st 2013, 02:58 PM
I'll Stick Around

Yeah, that's the correct one.

The thing sounded muddy at a first hearing, but I'm not used to listening to that one with enhanced basses. I actually never heard the remaster before today. I'm not a fan, I must say.

Anyway if anyone has one of the two first versions of the tape... I'm interested in lending them and have a try on a transfer.

Last edited by pierre : February 1st 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old February 3rd 2013, 07:53 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Yes it'll be that one, I couldn't remember whose tape it was. June 2011 I've got it listed as?
Hey si,would that be my tape?...pierre transfred?
09/12/97 SECC
23/11/99 Barras
26/08/00 Glas Green
13/12/00 Edinburgh
14/12/00 Barras
14/07/02 T fest
16/11/02 Manc
17/11/02 Newcastle
25/11/02 SECC
24/08/03 Glas Green
09/07/05 T fest
10/12/05 Cardiff
12/12/05 SECC
14/12/05 Manc
17/06/06 HP
21/08/07 Edin
09/11/07 SECC
10/11/07 AECC
02/06/08 Manc
07/06/08 Lon
02/07/11 MKB
10/07/11 T fest
24/08/12 Leeds
14/09/14 Lon
05/09/15 MKB
07/09/15. Edin
Old February 4th 2013, 10:30 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Ah yes sorry, I see what you and he meant now. I agree with you on that one though, you would need untouched, unplayed control tapes to really judge which version was best the day they were first sent out.
No need to apologise - I knew where you'd gone wrong :-)
Old February 4th 2013, 10:49 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Yup, a nice transfer with azimuth adjustment of the 1st two releases might potentially give a great result.
Yeah the bounces here now got me looking - I really do need to get onto that. I have a $1000 deck that's sitting in a box hardly used, and a tape that's sitting in another airtight box hardly used. The deck has load, travel and capstan adjustments. I always think yeah I'll do that it's been a couple of years...

http://users.actrix.co.nz/xphile/Foo...0Dec-14-05.jpg

Second gen - never did know who here owned it - but clearly looked after from the user name alone. In the box heading on 8 years now... I prob shouldn't wait for an Area 51 intervention lol. The joy here is it doesn't snow, and it doesn't go over 25 C.

Anyway, I'm adding it to the update on the releases as a must do and I'll see how it compares to the flacs in Simon's zip.
Old February 5th 2013, 05:04 PM
I'll Stick Around

If you intend on transferring tapes, please have a look at this:

http://www.endino.com/archive/cassettes.html

Old February 6th 2013, 04:12 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
If you intend on transferring tapes, please have a look at this:

http://www.endino.com/archive/cassettes.html
Yep all good stuff, I bought the deck brand new in 1993 as one of a pair for playback purposes (dubbing TO was done on another even more expensive deck). The first of the pair bought lasted so well the second stayed sat in the box. The first and the to deck were sold years ago, I kept the second so I knew I always had a go to box for stuff like this. It's been set up but I will check it over and match some outputs of clean orig tapes to orig cds so I can confirm. Nothing in there I didn't know, but then not everyone had a sister that was a TV video editor
Old October 15th 2014, 10:26 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Giving this a bump for April and to remind myself it needs updating
Old October 21st 2014, 12:22 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I believe the second and third versions are switched. First, the label cut is the same for your first and third version. I doubt they switched then switched back again. Second, I have a first version cassette with the physical address crossed out with marker by them and placed in a third version jacket by them. If they still had first version labels left then it really must be the second jacket, not third. I definitely agree with your supposition that they were probably getting inundated and needed to switch to the P.O. Box.
Old October 21st 2014, 09:56 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketwatch View Post
I believe the second and third versions are switched. First, the label cut is the same for your first and third version. I doubt they switched then switched back again. Second, I have a first version cassette with the physical address crossed out with marker by them and placed in a third version jacket by them. If they still had first version labels left then it really must be the second jacket, not third. I definitely agree with your supposition that they were probably getting inundated and needed to switch to the P.O. Box.
Yeah numbering wasn't meant to be in order as such at the time I did it - just to signify they were deff different versions... this is something I intend to address so thanks for your comments. Currently trawling through old hard drives of stuff making a PW master folder to rejig the post etc... takes time but it's long overdue. Making it my 20th Ann job for sure.
Old December 29th 2014, 08:53 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

I swore one day I'd get to it...

1991 unplayed first gen cassette... plus some tender love and kindness and a 1200 dollar cassette deck (well in ah 1992 lol). 15 or so hours work, I think I've mentioned in passing I worked in a studio for a while, but you know no point blowing smoke. Anyway there's a 2011 Flac that isn't awful, so this may rock your boat in comparison, or may not.

Note: you will find these tracks are all a few seconds shorter if you compare them to other sources because they have been properly play trimmed for correct speed (Dave was faster than you thought... now there's a surprise...)

Pocketwatch 2014, mp3 version 320k, 77MB. Free to all forever.
http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/84167325/file.html

Happy 20th.
Old December 29th 2014, 05:04 PM
water it,water it,water it down

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
I swore one day I'd get to it...

Happy 20th.
this is ballstacular!!!! holy fook!!! best quality ive heard (though ive only heard youtube rips)

thankyou foozealand
Old January 4th 2015, 07:02 AM

Greetings, experts in the thread, I need your help to calm my nerves.

I am from Canada but live in Hong Kong for work. Most of the stuff that I order online goes to my Canadian address cause I have no room in my apt here and just shipping costs.

I FINALLY purchased a Late - Pocketwatch cassette. The seller's description seemed OK and he had a full rating. I finally talked to my mother and she said that it looked a little fake.

She's no expert in these sorts of things but it got me thinking. I didn't even know people would do through the trouble of faking these things but reading this thread thoroughly gives me suspicions.

I spent a hefty penny on this.

I was wondering if a few of the people in this thread could tell me what they think about the legitimacy of my purchase.

Thanks for your time:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1614839991...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
July 7th, 2003 @ Arrow Hall
August 13th, 2005 @ Molson Amphiteatre
August 23rd, 2006 @ The Hummingbird Centre
November 7th, 2006 @ The Air Canada Centre
March 17th, 2008 @ The Bell Centre
Old January 4th 2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Ho View Post
Greetings, experts in the thread, I need your help to calm my nerves.
It looks legit. Keep in mind, there were several variations of color schemes, I know that was doc'd in another thread. I have seen a few and this looks like very good condition.