Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Foo Side Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 7th 2009, 05:17 AM
Colors inside the lines

Default Just returned from the Columbus TCV show...

This show wasn't sold out! You could get tickets on the street and at the box office. 7 p.m. doors, the concert started at 8:45 and ended at 10:10 p.m. As previously reported, there wasn't an encore or opening band. I had a direct site line to JPJ and Josh, but could barely see Dave. The drums were at stage level, no platform for elevation so I mostly saw his hair and sticks flying. There were some long guitar jams and you could definitely hear Zeppelin and QOTSA influence on some songs. It was loud and rocked. The crowd here was really into it and the guys looked like they were having fun on stage. It was definitely worth the trip.
Old October 7th 2009, 06:19 AM
math is fun!

Default Re: Just returned from the Columbus TCV show...

That sounds great, thanks for building my anticipation for seeing them next week!
Old October 7th 2009, 06:40 AM
I'll Stick Around

I just got home from this show, it was amazing! I was front and center, so I had a clear shot of dave--well, everyone.
he definitely seems like is having a great time playing with those guys.
when jpj had a keyboard solo, dave sort of ducked his head down so most people couldn't see him, but he was making faces at him the whole time.
the bouncers busted a couple people taking pictures.
I was surprised it wasn't sold out!
I've never been a huge josh homme fan, but he was pretty great to watch-
I had such a blast tonight, smiled and jumped around the whole time!
can't wait for the album to come out!
Old October 7th 2009, 02:53 PM
Colors inside the lines

Yup, agreed. I showed up late so wasn't in the center pit. Dave and JPJ didn't say a word the entire show, just smiled alot. Josh was the frontman and did all the talking (and not much). Those long guitar jams reminded me of concerts in the early 70's. I'd go again if possible.

I'm currently stuck in the Columbus airport and will probably miss my Detroit connection-the only down part of this trip.
Old October 7th 2009, 03:47 PM
I'll Stick Around

2 weeks ago I waited pretty much all day in line for a band and I was miserable and said I would never do it again.

yesterday I ended up hearing an interview on the radio with TCV and at the end the dj said the next 100 people to buy tickets at the venue would get a wristband to get into the venue early. I already had my ticket, but had just parked in front of the venue, so I went to see what it was about. the woman at the box office said that if she doesn't end up giving them to people just buying their tickets, they might just hand them out. so I went up to the box office when I came back around after hanging out with my friend and they said that only four people got wristbands and then gave us two...I had told myself I wasn't going to worry about being up front, but we walked in to an empty venue, so yeah, I cared then, and hauled ass up to front!

usually jamming bores me, but I felt like I was just hanging out with them when they first decided to play together....and, it was good

I can definitely see why dave needs to get with other musicians and do something different every now and again...
dave even seems...younger....
of course maybe it's because I am looking over at jones ever once in a while

hope you make your flight! safe travels
Old October 8th 2009, 01:35 PM
Colors inside the lines

The same thing happened to me when we went to Harley fest in Milwaukee last year. They had extra vip wristbands from a radio contest and put one on us when we entered the venue. I had no idea what it was until they told me to go up front to the vip area. I was right in front for that Foo concert. I traveled to see them 4 times last year and that show was the best.
Old October 8th 2009, 03:56 PM
Have you found your way around

I am going to see them at the Fillmore in Detroit tonight and I'm excited!! It's not sold out either it's almost like no one knows about it. Strange, but fine with me!
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2012
Milwaukee, WI Wasting Light Tour 2012
Cubby Bear, Sonic Highways Chicago, 2014
Indianapolis, Sonic Highways IN 2015
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2017
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old October 8th 2009, 10:56 PM
Colors inside the lines

I assumed all the shows were sold out. Guess not. More for us.
Old October 9th 2009, 09:16 PM
Visiting is pretty...

We can't all afford to spend the extra money right now on it, especially a show for a band that you haven't heard a song from yet. Normally I'm all about going to shows like that (I actualy preferr them) but I just couldn't afford it. $50ish in Detroit.
Old October 9th 2009, 09:43 PM
The Sidekick

It must be an American thing. The UK shows all sold out in less than an hour, and they're the same price.

The same thing happened on the last arena tour of FF. Ours all sold out, some of the US shows han a half empty floor. I don't get it.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old October 9th 2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studmore View Post
It must be an American thing. The UK shows all sold out in less than an hour, and they're the same price.

The same thing happened on the last arena tour of FF. Ours all sold out, some of the US shows han a half empty floor. I don't get it.
I think it has to do with:
(1) no album yet (or single) that would help fuel interest/attendence (only the hard core fans of these artists' bands seem to really be paying attention) and
(2) they aren't a hip-hop act. For some reason, it just seems that both FF and QOTSA (not Zep though) are more popular in europe then they are here. They're still considered alternative acts here and just don't seem to boost the same level of interest as crappy pop acts (like Britney) or crappy hip hop artists (Kanye). That's why even though they do well on the rock charts, they don't do well on the over Hot 100 chart. It's just our culture I guess. Foo Fighters would NEVER be able to sell out a stadium as big as Wembley here. It seems like outside a few crappy adult contempo rock artists, rock just isn't as popular a genre here as it is in other countries. Anyway, that's just my impression. Others might disagree.
Old October 10th 2009, 04:37 AM
Shaking like the thunder Sinking under

Thumbs down Re: Just returned from the Columbus TCV show...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfine View Post
I think it has to do with:
(1) no album yet (or single) that would help fuel interest/attendence (only the hard core fans of these artists' bands seem to really be paying attention) and
(2) they aren't a hip-hop act. For some reason, it just seems that both FF and QOTSA (not Zep though) are more popular in europe then they are here. They're still considered alternative acts here and just don't seem to boost the same level of interest as crappy pop acts (like Britney) or crappy hip hop artists (Kanye). That's why even though they do well on the rock charts, they don't do well on the over Hot 100 chart. It's just our culture I guess. Foo Fighters would NEVER be able to sell out a stadium as big as Wembley here. It seems like outside a few crappy adult contempo rock artists, rock just isn't as popular a genre here as it is in other countries. Anyway, that's just my impression. Others might disagree.
bullshit!!!!
Old October 10th 2009, 11:13 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

LOL Re: Just returned from the Columbus TCV show...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofire View Post
bullshit!!!!
Care to elaborate slightly on your ever-so-well thought out argument?

Old October 10th 2009, 09:13 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Going to the Philly and NYC shows, anyone have an idea on what time I should get to the venues if I want to be up front?
July 29, 2008 East Rutherford, NJ
August 9/10, 2008 Baltimore, MD
Old October 10th 2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdog1903 View Post
Going to the Philly and NYC shows, anyone have an idea on what time I should get to the venues if I want to be up front?
We saw them in Nashville, which is obviously a smaller crowd, but we got there at about 4:15 and still had people in front of us in line (we ended up on the rail for the actual show, though). That was for doors opening between 6:30-7, show starting at 8:30-ish.
01/25/08 Memphis 01/26/08 Nashville, TN 02/29/08 Fayetteville, AR 07/19/08 Kansas City, MO 07/20/08 St. Louis 09/25 & 26/2008 Vegas 09/24/09 Sunny Day Real Estate | Chicago 10/05/09 Them Crooked Vultures | Nashville 10/06/09 SDRE | Houston 05/17/10 TCV | Indianapolis 09/16/11 Kansas City 09/17/11 St. Louis 11/07/11 Atlanta 11/08/11 Charlotte 09/22/12 DeLuna Fest
Old October 10th 2009, 09:28 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
We saw them in Nashville, which is obviously a smaller crowd, but we got there at about 4:15 and still had people in front of us in line (we ended up on the rail for the actual show, though). That was for doors opening between 6:30-7, show starting at 8:30-ish.
Thanks, I think I'm going to try and get there around 4:00.
July 29, 2008 East Rutherford, NJ
August 9/10, 2008 Baltimore, MD
Old October 11th 2009, 09:04 PM
Shaking like the thunder Sinking under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
Care to elaborate slightly on your ever-so-well thought out argument?
predicting they can't sell out a bigger concert in America is well thought out? If they sold out wembley given the right mix -why couldn't they sell out a bigger venue here in US?

Last edited by A Little Frayed : October 11th 2009 at 09:47 PM.