Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Hey, check out my Foo...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 21st 2011, 06:00 AM
nenxe's Avatar
nenxe nenxe is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Foo Brunswick
Posts: 285
Default WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Click here to watch my WALK Cover!

This has been my favourite Foos song since April 3rd when I first heard Wasting Light in its entirety.
After a search on YouTube yielded some disappointing results, I felt motivated to do it some justice with a two-guitar cover on my YouTube Channel.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old April 22nd 2011, 02:56 PM
j6ngo1977 j6ngo1977 is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 228
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Yeh that is cool. I looked at the guitar you where playing and thought WTF is that and then I read at the bottom it is a Gibson Les Paul you customised yourself It looks cool like a cross between a Les Paul and an SG
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 22nd 2011, 07:25 PM
nenxe's Avatar
nenxe nenxe is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Foo Brunswick
Posts: 285
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Just added some titles for the lyrics through the climax of the song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j6ngo1977 View Post
I looked at the guitar you where playing and thought WTF is that and then I read at the bottom it is a Gibson Les Paul you customised yourself It looks cool like a cross between a Les Paul and an SG
Thanks! I bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio in worn cherry, stripped it back to the raw wood, and built myself a new Les Paul (complete with custom finish, of course).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old April 22nd 2011, 07:33 PM
nenxe's Avatar
nenxe nenxe is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Foo Brunswick
Posts: 285
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Give A Fook View Post
how are we supposed to hear your guitar when the original track is so loud.
I'll take that as a compliment, because you're mistaking my guitar work for the original track.

Listen with headphones and you can hear the difference a lot more clearly because I panned the left and right guitars to the Left and Right stereo tracks.

Lol trust me, my guitar is significantly louder than the original track.

Last edited by nenxe : April 22nd 2011 at 07:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 22nd 2011, 09:34 PM
awesome's Avatar
awesome awesome is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,346
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Awesome! I've seen your covers before :P
__________________
Keep it Clean

FRESH POTS!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 23rd 2011, 12:04 AM
Domenic Domenic is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Wow!!! Great work!!!

Domenic
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old April 23rd 2011, 02:16 PM
nenxe's Avatar
nenxe nenxe is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Foo Brunswick
Posts: 285
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Thanks for the positive feedback! It was actually a lot of work, glad it paid off.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 24th 2011, 01:30 AM
Felipe.'s Avatar
Felipe. Felipe. is offline
A star burned out
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,644
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenxe View Post
I'll take that as a compliment, because you're mistaking my guitar work for the original track.

Listen with headphones and you can hear the difference a lot more clearly because I panned the left and right guitars to the Left and Right stereo tracks.

Lol trust me, my guitar is significantly louder than the original track.
owned.

yeah, your guitar is indeed significantly louder than the original track, I totally can tell.

and great cover! I really like it, it's one of my all time favorite songs, so beautiful.

I also liked your directions through notes on the video, it's a bit different from covers in general, where the person just plays along.
__________________
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 25th 2011, 05:27 PM
nenxe's Avatar
nenxe nenxe is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Foo Brunswick
Posts: 285
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
owned.

yeah, your guitar is indeed significantly louder than the original track, I totally can tell.
Thanks! I panned each guitar 70% to each side and reduced the track volume by nearly half. Amazingly though, Dave's vocals still shine right through. Analogue recording bonus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
and great cover! I really like it, it's one of my all time favorite songs, so beautiful.

I also liked your directions through notes on the video, it's a bit different from covers in general, where the person just plays along.
Haha glad someone noticed.
I initially started annotating my own videos as a means of preemptively answering annoying questions (like "do you have tabs?").
Now though, I make my videos as a reference for other guitarists –that is, if you play guitar, you can probably figure out the song by watching what I'm doing. Hence the little hints here and there to help make it a bit instructional, without making it a boring ole' video guitar lesson.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old April 25th 2011, 10:42 PM
Highway To Hell Highway To Hell is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chelmsford Essex
Posts: 1,285
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Thanks now I can learn that properly. Am looking foward to jamming that song
__________________
''Fucking asshole''- Lieutenant Blake Heavy Rain.

LOVE THAT FUCKIN GAME
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old May 9th 2011, 07:12 PM
elayblooze's Avatar
elayblooze elayblooze is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: California
Posts: 1,196
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Cool rocker:>
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old May 24th 2011, 11:20 AM
Stew Stew is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Hey Man that is one of my favs from the album
and I got to say you play pretty damn good thanks for the lesson
Stew
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old June 5th 2011, 09:59 AM
craig hansen craig hansen is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 21
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Awesome job!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old June 17th 2011, 04:01 PM
Captain Stu's Avatar
Captain Stu Captain Stu is offline
[INSERT GENITALS HERE]
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Midgard
Posts: 50,109
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Timing's off.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old June 17th 2011, 04:56 PM
Grail72's Avatar
Grail72 Grail72 is offline
Run for your life with me
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey- where Foo lives
Posts: 355
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stu View Post
Timing's off.
No its not.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old June 17th 2011, 04:58 PM
nenxe's Avatar
nenxe nenxe is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Foo Brunswick
Posts: 285
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stu View Post
Timing's off.
Lol 1 criticism in 5,500 views. Nothing personal huh.
__________________
Proudly Canadian.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old June 17th 2011, 05:05 PM
Grail72's Avatar
Grail72 Grail72 is offline
Run for your life with me
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey- where Foo lives
Posts: 355
Smile Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenxe View Post
Lol 1 criticism in 5,500 views. Nothing personal huh.
Dude. Awesome job. I learned it in less than an half hour after watching your vid. All the tabs I see are crap. That is a great cover.

I play a schecter custom through a Marshall MG15 DFX. What pedals are you using. Your tone is great. And the timing is spot on.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old June 17th 2011, 05:14 PM
nenxe's Avatar
nenxe nenxe is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Foo Brunswick
Posts: 285
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grail72 View Post
Dude. Awesome job. I learned it in less than an half hour after watching your vid. All the tabs I see are crap. That is a great cover.

I play a schecter custom through a Marshall MG15 DFX. What pedals are you using. Your tone is great. And the timing is spot on.
Hey I'm glad to hear you learned from it. I didn't even bother looking for tabs, I learned the Free Bird solo note-for-note by ear, so I damned well be able to do Walk.

Actually, I acknowledge that the timing is a little off for about five seconds at the start, from 0:30-0:35... but I annotated that this is because the song starts so suddenly, and it's all spot-on after the kick drum is there for guidance.

In fact I paid very very close attention to the rhythm, because the nuances there are crucial for it to sound like the Foos. I am confident in saying that my rhythm is pretty close to perfect the whole way through.

I'll take Stu's criticisms to heart as soon as he posts his cover.

Fun fact, if you search "Foo Fighters Walk Cover" on YouTube, my video is the second result, after the Foo Fighters performing it live on Letterman.

As for gear, I listed in the video description. Gibson LP with 498T pickup in the bridge pos., all-tube 15W Fender Blues Jr., Boss BD-2 Blues Driver. I love the tone I got out of my guitar for this video. Nice and heavy and rich.
__________________
Proudly Canadian.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old June 17th 2011, 05:29 PM
Grail72's Avatar
Grail72 Grail72 is offline
Run for your life with me
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey- where Foo lives
Posts: 355
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenxe View Post
Hey I'm glad to hear you learned from it. I didn't even bother looking for tabs, I learned the Free Bird solo note-for-note by ear, so I damned well be able to do Walk.

Actually, I acknowledge that the timing is a little off for about five seconds at the start, from 0:30-0:35... but I annotated that this is because the song starts so suddenly, and it's all spot-on after the kick drum is there for guidance.

In fact I paid very very close attention to the rhythm, because the nuances there are crucial for it to sound like the Foos. I am confident in saying that my rhythm is pretty close to perfect the whole way through.

I'll take Stu's criticisms to heart as soon as he posts his cover.

Fun fact, if you search "Foo Fighters Walk Cover" on YouTube, my video is the second result, after the Foo Fighters performing it live on Letterman.

As for gear, I listed in the video description. Gibson LP with 498T pickup in the bridge pos., all-tube 15W Fender Blues Jr., Boss BD-2 Blues Driver. I love the tone I got out of my guitar for this video. Nice and heavy and rich.
Cool. I noticed that little in the beginning was off, for a few seconds, but the rest of the song is on point.

Keep up the good work.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old June 17th 2011, 07:32 PM
Go-kart Mozart's Avatar
Go-kart Mozart Go-kart Mozart is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,707
Default Re: WALK Double-Guitar Cover

Nice job man.
__________________
19-08-2009 Them Crooked Vultures, Melkweg
30-10-2009 Foo Fighters, Live at Studio 606/My parents' attic
02-06-2010 Taylor Hawkins & The Coattail Riders, Melkweg
10-06-2010 Them Crooked Vultures, Heineken Music Hall
13-06-2011 Foo Fighters, Pinkpop

Deku Palace - Kraid's Lair - Storm Eagle
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.