Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > FooFighters.com
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 5th 2012, 01:20 AM
The Sidekick

Default New Mobile Theme!

Hi,

The mobile theme mentioned in this thread is now live. If you browse to the board with a mobile device it SHOULD automatically detect you and select the mobile theme. If this does not happen you will need to manually switch to the mobile theme using the theme chooser dropdown box towards the bottom of the forum.

Please note that your style choice is saved in your cookie on a per device basis so changing your theme on your mobile device will not affect your style choice on your desktop and vice versa.

Ok about the form and functions of this theme. As you can see it's stripped back to basics to allow for quick and easy browsing on the move. Here is a quick run down of some features and how to navigate easily.

- Starting with the index page you can see an inidator image for new posts in that forum and the text will also be bold if there are new posts. As for navigating to the forums the links and '>' arrow on the right hand side are for show really, you can click anywhere in a whole block to open that forum.

- Once you're looking at the thread listings you have two/three options to open a thread. You can first of all click on the main title link, that will take you to the first post of the thread. The other option is to click the '>' arrow on the far right of each box. This will either a) go to the first unread post of the thread or b) if you have read every post in the thread it will take you to the last post of the thread.

- Posting images are kept extremely simple, again to aid quick loading. There are just two images. If you've posted in a thread, you'll see a black dot next to the thread. If you haven't, you'll see nothing. If the thread is locked, you'll see a padlock. That's it.

- Once a thread is open navigation is fairly straight forward as is the layout. If you want to reply to the thread without a quote there is a button at the top of the thread or you can use the quick reply form at the bottom. It's a simple text box with no fancy frills or posting options, again for ease on the mobile devices. If you want to reply with a quote it's much the same as the full forum, click [reply] on the post. [Edit] to edit your post, obviously.

- You can use the header image to get back to the index of the forum or of course you can use the back button on your mobile device.

- Known Bugs: User CP and User profiles are not working properly yet. Sticky threads don't appear bold even with new unread posts. I'm working on those.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. I only have one fairly old Android device and there are of course hundreds of different mobile devices and browsers out there, I can't check if they all display correctly. If you see anything that looks out of place or something doesn't work as epxected let me know with as much information as possible, a screenshot would be even more helpful.

Also any constructive critism is appreciated, anything you would change or like added. If you don't like it you can use the link at the bottom of the page to go back to the full version.

TL;DR version:
Check out the new mobile theme on your mobile device, tell me what you think.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old October 5th 2012, 01:31 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: New Mobile Theme!

Simon I LOVE it!!!!! I will play with it and let you know what things I see. One thing I noticed when I went to respond here is that I can't select my normal purple from the mobile site.

A thousand thank yous for doing this! I was so surprised when I opened this on my phone and the new site loaded
Old October 5th 2012, 01:34 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
Simon I LOVE it!!!!! I will play with it and let you know what things I see. One thing I noticed when I went to respond here is that I can't select my normal purple from the mobile site.

A thousand thank yous for doing this! I was so surprised when I opened this on my phone and the new site loaded
Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, colour select isn't possible at the moment, it's something I'll look to add in the future. Working with the vBulletin themes and templates is a bit of a pain so I can't guarantee it soon. I'll try though, for sure.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old October 5th 2012, 01:43 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVvZUwC3e1I
Old October 5th 2012, 06:52 AM
I'll Stick Around

Works fine on my galaxy s2 android ICS. Any chance the sub forums can be listed on the main page? I now have to do an extra click to get to the only section I use. Don't know how I'll cope with that long term!
Old October 5th 2012, 10:13 AM
Fooper!

I love it! Looks good!
Old October 5th 2012, 05:39 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronThumbDrew View Post
Works fine on my galaxy s2 android ICS. Any chance the sub forums can be listed on the main page? I now have to do an extra click to get to the only section I use. Don't know how I'll cope with that long term!
Ah did you used to click the 'Collections and Recordings' text link on the index? Obviously they're gone for space/time saving now so yeah it's going to take an extra click. I can't list the sub forums on the main page without affecting every version of the forum.

You could always set your bookmark as http://bbs.foofighters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

--
Old October 6th 2012, 06:28 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Awesome!
11/7/11 Gwinnett Center - Duluth, GA
09/21/12 - Midtown Music Festival- Atlanta, GA
07/4/15 - RFK Stadium - Washington D.C
10/12/17 - The Anthem - Washington D.C.

TCV
February 11th 2010 Tabernacle-Atlanta, GA
Old October 7th 2012, 01:52 AM
I should have known better

Thanks Simon. This is working great on my HTC wildfire
Old October 8th 2012, 10:00 AM
I'll Stick Around

Lets see
Old October 8th 2012, 10:01 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by emwazsun View Post
Lets see
Worked
Old October 20th 2012, 06:14 PM
How's that for a slice of fried gold?!

Simon, is there any way or chance of getting a multi quote button or is there already one that I have ignored?
Old October 20th 2012, 06:34 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Simon, is there any way or chance of getting a multi quote button or is there already one that I have ignored?
It's not already there, my reasoning for leaving it out was that it might be a pain trying to get your cursor in the right place of the message if you have multiple quotes, what with the reply box being pretty small, height wise. I can probably add it in and see how you get on though, sure.

--
Old October 21st 2012, 10:52 AM
Have you found your way around

Hey Simon,working great on my old DroidX2/Gingerbread. Really appreciate you setting this up for us,Man.You Rock!
Old October 21st 2012, 03:35 PM
Shaking like the thunder Sinking under

On my Droid-devour(old)
when on the mobile site it says at bottom of page "veiw full version".
I click on it but no changes occur.
Is it possible to revert back to full version as an option when you want to?
Old October 21st 2012, 03:52 PM
How's that for a slice of fried gold?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It's not already there, my reasoning for leaving it out was that it might be a pain trying to get your cursor in the right place of the message if you have multiple quotes, what with the reply box being pretty small, height wise. I can probably add it in and see how you get on though, sure.
Ah yeah, you might be right there.
Old October 21st 2012, 04:19 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Person View Post
On my Droid-devour(old)
when on the mobile site it says at bottom of page "veiw full version".
I click on it but no changes occur.
Is it possible to revert back to full version as an option when you want to?
At the moment no, that link only works on Tablets and desktop browsers because of the auto-detect mobile theme. I could turn that off but then it wouldn't default mobiles to the mobile theme and people might not know about it. So for now, until I can find a way to auto-detect phones but also allow manual changes it'll stay that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Ah yeah, you might be right there.
I'll give it a try anyway, if it's useless I'll just get rid again.

--
Old October 22nd 2012, 12:38 AM
legendary

I might have missed something but how do I get the non-mobile theme in my iPod? I've tried the Visit Full Version at the bottom of the page but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Sorry :/
Old October 27th 2012, 09:08 PM
Shaking like the thunder Sinking under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
At the moment no, that link only works on Tablets and desktop browsers because of the auto-detect mobile theme. I could turn that off but then it wouldn't default mobiles to the mobile theme and people might not know about it. So for now, until I can find a way to auto-detect phones but also allow manual changes it'll stay that way.

I'll give it a try anyway, if it's useless I'll just get rid again.
Hi Simon
'sup?
Old December 13th 2012, 07:12 AM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

<p>Three things: </p>
<p>1) i should've ventured more into ff.com; i found this feature a cpl of weeks ago and I freaking love it.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>2)today i edited a post (throgh mobile) and it fucked my post, adding html tags everywhere. I'll edit this in a second just so you can see, brb.</p>

edited, see?
Im on windows phone, i dont know if it's an explorer thing or a mobile thing in general.

3) Again, through mobile I came to post this but the thread was hidden since it was old. I had to go back to full version and select "see threads from the beginning", bump it and then it was shown in mobile.

Hope my criticism helps you.
oh and #4: i can easily switch from mobile to full in a click.

Last edited by Beto : December 13th 2012 at 07:16 AM.