Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 24th 2018, 08:02 PM
sionibob's Avatar
sionibob sionibob is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Default Good Grief???

Why haven't the Foos played Good Grief in like nearly 20 years? yet it's one of their best songs? I would love to hear it live again. I was actually at the London gig on Friday and I made a sign asking for them to play it but they didn't acknowledge it but they definitely saw it though they still didn't play it.
Hopefully somebody who can contact them could ask them for me coz this question has never been answered.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old June 24th 2018, 08:06 PM
O.B.gene's Avatar
O.B.gene O.B.gene is offline
How Do You Do
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southend, Essex
Posts: 25,809
Default Re: Good Grief???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionibob View Post
Why haven't the Foos played Good Grief in like nearly 20 years? yet it's one of their best songs? I would love to hear it live again. I was actually at the London gig on Friday and I made a sign asking for them to play it but they didn't acknowledge it but they definitely saw it though they still didn't play it.
Hopefully somebody who can contact them could ask them for me coz this question has never been answered.
Thanks
There's a HUGE amount of great songs they don't play anymore. 'Good Grief' is an awesome song, but there are better ones no longer played. I shouted out for 'Winnebago' on Friday They're a different band now, and only play the hits at stadium shows these days.
__________________
"Just because you have the ability to post, doesn't mean you always should." Jill (2015)
“I don’t know if it’s trolling but the use of “cuz” is annoying as fuck.” Jill (2019)


Admin @FooFightersUK
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 24th 2018, 08:13 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,146
Default Re: Good Grief???

Yep, whether we like it or not they play to huge stadiums and other large venues these days, which are filled to the brim with casual and first time fans, and Dave knows they want to hear the hits. There are even quite a lot of singles that don't get played much, never mind album tracks or B-Sides.

In the last few years they've tried throwing some rarer album tracks in the set and sadly, it usually falls flat because the majority don't know it. Like in 2015 they randomly threw in 'Wind Up'. Crowd was dead.

We really need them to do a 'Tour of smaller venues with setlists full of rarities for the hardcore fans'. Might need a catchier title though.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 24th 2018, 08:21 PM
Poppy4580's Avatar
Poppy4580 Poppy4580 is offline
Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh, my!
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 3,251
Default Re: Good Grief???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yep, whether we like it or not they play to huge stadiums and other large venues these days, which are filled to the brim with casual and first time fans, and Dave knows they want to hear the hits. There are even quite a lot of singles that don't get played much, never mind album tracks or B-Sides.

In the last few years they've tried throwing some rarer album tracks in the set and sadly, it usually falls flat because the majority don't know it. Like in 2015 they randomly threw in 'Wind Up'. Crowd was dead.

We really need them to do a 'Tour of smaller venues with setlists full of rarities for the hardcore fans'. Might need a catchier title though.

I dont know...it kind of rolls off the tongue...

The anti-hit tour???

The Not the Best Of Foo Tour?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 24th 2018, 09:08 PM
sionibob's Avatar
sionibob sionibob is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Default Re: Good Grief???

Yeah that sounds like an awesome idea! they played a bunch of old songs at Glastonbury a couple of years ago like exhausted for example, I was really surprised they didn't play it then and thought there must be a reason behind that song for them not to play it anymore, considering they have played nearly every song from that album with in the last few years.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 24th 2018, 09:12 PM
02morrij's Avatar
02morrij 02morrij is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portsmouth UK
Posts: 1,925
Default Re: Good Grief???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionibob View Post
Yeah that sounds like an awesome idea! they played a bunch of old songs at Glastonbury a couple of years ago like exhausted for example, I was really surprised they didn't play it then and thought there must be a reason behind that song for them not to play it anymore, considering they have played nearly every song from that album with in the last few years.
Was that Reading Festival 2012 perhaps?
We got Exhausted, Winnebago, Weenie Beenie, Wattershed, I'll Stick Around, Alone + Easy Target. Don't think we'll ever see the likes of that. I'm sure they played Hey, JP as well
__________________
Earls Court, 18th December 2005
Hyde Park, 17th June 2006
o2 Arena, 17th November 2007
Wembley Stadium, 6th June 2008
Wembley Stadium, 7th June 2008
Isle of Wight Festival, 11th June 2011
Milton Keynes Bowl, 2nd July 2011
Reading Festival, 26th August 2012
Glastonbury Festival, 26th June 2015
Milton Keynes Bowl, 6th September 2015
o2 Arena, 19th September 2017
London Stadium, 22nd June 2018
London Stadium, 23rd June 2018
Reading Festival, 25th August 2019
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 24th 2018, 09:16 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,146
Default Re: Good Grief???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionibob View Post
Yeah that sounds like an awesome idea! they played a bunch of old songs at Glastonbury a couple of years ago like exhausted for example, I was really surprised they didn't play it then and thought there must be a reason behind that song for them not to play it anymore, considering they have played nearly every song from that album with in the last few years.
Yeah they haven't played Good Grief since 2000 so I would guess it's one of many songs on the pile that they don't like that much.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 24th 2018, 09:29 PM
sionibob's Avatar
sionibob sionibob is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Default Re: Good Grief???

I dunno why coz all the comments I ever seen for that song on youtube and stuff all say it's a really good song and they should play it more.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old June 24th 2018, 09:31 PM
sionibob's Avatar
sionibob sionibob is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Default Re: Good Grief???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02morrij View Post
Was that Reading Festival 2012 perhaps?
We got Exhausted, Winnebago, Weenie Beenie, Wattershed, I'll Stick Around, Alone + Easy Target. Don't think we'll ever see the likes of that. I'm sure they played Hey, JP as well
Didn't know they played them at Reading too I remember watching Glasto 2015 and was well surprised they were playing stuff off their 1st album.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old June 24th 2018, 09:33 PM
sionibob's Avatar
sionibob sionibob is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Default Re: Good Grief???

Currently listening to the manchester gig from last week on radio x https://www.radiox.co.uk/radio/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old June 24th 2018, 11:03 PM
matineeidyll's Avatar
matineeidyll matineeidyll is offline
Ready on your mark
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 1,440
Default Re: Good Grief???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Like in 2015 they randomly threw in 'Wind Up'. Crowd was dead.
I wrote 'Wind Up?' on my arms in Brisbane and Pat's eyes lit up but it didn't even seem to register for Dave.

When you've got the young pups wanting their spotlight moment on what you're calling your 'old school' songs, they're just not old-school.
__________________
Adelaide / Sydney, 2011
Brisbane / Sydney / Adelaide, 2015
Gold Coast, 2015 (Chevy Metal)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old June 25th 2018, 08:48 AM
FrenchEnemies's Avatar
FrenchEnemies FrenchEnemies is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: the EU
Posts: 353
Default Re: Good Grief???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionibob View Post
Didn't know they played them at Reading too I remember watching Glasto 2015 and was well surprised they were playing stuff off their 1st album.
Hmm sure you aren't living in that alternate dimension where Dave never broke his leg and went on to play a different set at Glastonbury?

Ngl, I envy you a little bit.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old June 25th 2018, 03:01 PM
sionibob's Avatar
sionibob sionibob is offline
Visiting is pretty...
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Default Re: Good Grief???

Damn I swore it was glaso, man was that really reading 2012?? Only feels like a couple of years ago. Mental lol
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old June 25th 2018, 07:08 PM
Beto's Avatar
Beto Beto is offline
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Posts: 15,436
Default Re: Good Grief???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
We really need them to do a 'Tour of smaller venues with setlists full of rarities for the hardcore fans'. Might need a catchier title though.
Scenesters and scalpers would still fuck us, the TRUE FANS© because if it's more "exclusive" they'll just sell'em faster, to posers and people like that.

What we need is a postboard concert, where you need at least 100 posts count (pre-announcement) to get an invite. Donna gets in free with a +1 and VIP treatment.


Edit - Additional rules -
- Users with 1,000+ post count are the setlist curators.
- The band have NO saying on the setlist.
- If one of the said users suggests one of those covers (Young man blues, under pressure, etc), he/she will lose said setlist privileges.
__________________

Last edited by Beto : June 25th 2018 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old June 25th 2018, 07:09 PM
O.B.gene's Avatar
O.B.gene O.B.gene is offline
How Do You Do
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southend, Essex
Posts: 25,809
Default Re: Good Grief???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Donna gets in free with a +1 and VIP treatment.
She don't even like Foo Fighters
__________________
"Just because you have the ability to post, doesn't mean you always should." Jill (2015)
“I don’t know if it’s trolling but the use of “cuz” is annoying as fuck.” Jill (2019)


Admin @FooFightersUK
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old June 26th 2018, 10:34 AM
BigCol's Avatar
BigCol BigCol is offline
I don't have a cofee problem.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 7,216
Default Re: Good Grief???

They started the o2 show with I’ll stick around last year and it fell flat with 99% of the nouveau day trippers. So many great songs from the first 2 albums never get touched; the best set I saw in recent years was the Concorde holy shits show.

Sadly they are a stadium rock band and most people there would rather hear a tired under pressure than they would wattershed or good grief. It still makes me angry but I just accept it more these days.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old June 26th 2018, 10:57 AM
O.B.gene's Avatar
O.B.gene O.B.gene is offline
How Do You Do
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southend, Essex
Posts: 25,809
Default Re: Good Grief???

If it's not on the 'Greatest Hits', it's gonna struggle live during these big shows!
__________________
"Just because you have the ability to post, doesn't mean you always should." Jill (2015)
“I don’t know if it’s trolling but the use of “cuz” is annoying as fuck.” Jill (2019)


Admin @FooFightersUK
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old June 26th 2018, 01:23 PM
trevgreg's Avatar
trevgreg trevgreg is offline
Have you found your way around
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,151
Default Re: Good Grief???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
We really need them to do a 'Tour of smaller venues with setlists full of rarities for the hardcore fans'. Might need a catchier title though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Scenesters and scalpers would still fuck us, the TRUE FANS© because if it's more "exclusive" they'll just sell'em faster, to posers and people like that.
Right. The thought of it is nice, but I suspect there are reasons the bigger acts out there don't do it. For one, I do wonder what the likelihood of "actual/real" fans getting tickets for cheap would be, regardless of the set list.

Second of all, what if it's only a show or two? A lot of us might say we'd jump on something like that, but when it'd actually come down to paying to fly out to L.A. or wherever and paying for a ticket... might be a different thing altogether. There's going to be a difference between us actually being there or just reading about it or watching 2-3 minutes of given songs on YouTube.

On the side, this sort of thing is what most veteran band fanbases talk about online anyway, so it's not a situation we're only in. I suspect if these "mythic" rarity tours were something that was doable, they'd probably be done by now anyway. But if you have 5+ albums and a fanbase that can fill arenas or stadiums, it's really not a situation you can win entirely anyway, at least among the parts of the fanbase that has seen you live already or follows you enough as it is. Unless i'm in that boat, it's really hard for me to judge what's going on in the end, imo.
__________________
2005: St. Paul
2006: Chicago, St. Paul (Dylan)
2008: Minneapolis, Indianapolis
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old June 26th 2018, 03:08 PM
Simon's Avatar
Simon Simon is offline
The Sidekick
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 29,146
Default Re: Good Grief???

Indeed, we've been discussing this subject as long as I've been here, and I'm sure a bit more before that as well. I was only being semi-serious about any special tours, and I think we know the chances of it happening are very slim.

As long they can fill stadiums and huge arenas wherever they go, attracting new fans every year, they're going to stick to what makes the big crowd happy, and it makes absolute sense. If we were in his shoes, I'm sure we'd do the same. Why play something to make 500 people happy and have 50,000 stood there bemused?

All I will say is what I've said before, I think they could mix things up quite a bit more whilst still sticking to the big songs. They have enough now to rotate them slightly.

This Is A Call
Big Me
Monkey Wrench
Hey, Johnny Park!
My Hero
Everlong
Stacked Actors
Breakout
Learn To Fly
Generator
All My Life
Times Like These
Best Of You
DOA
Skin And Bones
The Pretender
Long Road To Ruin
Let It Die
Wheels
Rope
Arlandria
These Days
Walk
Something From Nothing
Congregation
Run
The Sky Is A Neighborhood
La Dee Da
Dirty Water
Sunday Rain

That's 30 songs to rotate around, they usually only play around 18 each night at the minute.
__________________

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old June 26th 2018, 04:36 PM
FrenchEnemies's Avatar
FrenchEnemies FrenchEnemies is offline
I'll Stick Around
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: the EU
Posts: 353
Default Re: Good Grief???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Indeed, we've been discussing this subject as long as I've been here, and I'm sure a bit more before that as well. I was only being semi-serious about any special tours, and I think we know the chances of it happening are very slim.

As long they can fill stadiums and huge arenas wherever they go, attracting new fans every year, they're going to stick to what makes the big crowd happy, and it makes absolute sense. If we were in his shoes, I'm sure we'd do the same. Why play something to make 500 people happy and have 50,000 stood there bemused?

All I will say is what I've said before, I think they could mix things up quite a bit more whilst still sticking to the big songs. They have enough now to rotate them slightly.

This Is A Call
Big Me
Monkey Wrench
Hey, Johnny Park!
My Hero
Everlong
Stacked Actors
Breakout
Learn To Fly
Generator
All My Life
Times Like These
Best Of You
DOA
Skin And Bones
The Pretender
Long Road To Ruin
Let It Die
Wheels
Rope
Arlandria
These Days
Walk
Something From Nothing
Congregation
Run
The Sky Is A Neighborhood
La Dee Da
Dirty Water
Sunday Rain

That's 30 songs to rotate around, they usually only play around 18 each night at the minute.
I think you're right in principle, it's not an all-or-nothing situation and they could mix it up a little more.

But I also think our fan glasses may be distorting our view of what the "big" Foo songs are ... songs like Wheels or Rope were getting blank stares from my section on Saturday.

The songs you cite are not all on the same level, I would say there are at least 3 tiers:

Tier 1, the classics/big hits:

This Is A Call
Big Me
Monkey Wrench
My Hero
Everlong
Breakout
Learn To Fly
All My Life
Times Like These
Best Of You
The Pretender
These Days
Walk
Run
The Sky Is A Neighborhood

Tier 2, the medium hits/fan favourites:

Stacked Actors
DOA
Wheels
Rope
Something From Nothing
Congregation
Let It Die
Hey, Johnny Park!
Generator
Skin And Bones
Long Road To Ruin
Arlandria

Tier 3, current album:

La Dee Da
Dirty Water
Sunday Rain


We can argue about what goes where, but for a standard big gig they probably have to play at least 10 of the 15 Tier 1 songs, and at least a couple from the most recent album. So the potential for rotation is really not as high as your original list makes it look.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.