Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion > Frequent Post Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old June 14th 2005, 04:20 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default In Your Honor--Copy Protected CD Discussion

Hey everyone,

I bought my copy if IYH on Friday (gotta love shady independent record stores that don't wait until the release date to start selling new releases). The CD has a sticker on the front that says the CD is protected against unauthorized duplication, and includes a link to the following website: http://www.sunncomm.com/support/sonybmg/

When I get CD's I usually rip them onto my computer, and also make a copy for my car (both legal).

So the other day I ripped the first disc of IYH onto my computer through Windows Media Player--no problem, all the files were created. I tried today, though, to try to play back the .wma files, and they all skip--it sounds like a scratched CD, but I guess it was their way of copy protection against MP3's.

I figured even if the CD was copy protected, I would at least be able to rip it onto my computer and burn the WMA or MP3 files onto a CD.

I understand the reasoning behind copy protection, but it's frustrating that those of us who make legal copies for our own use have to suffer, too.
Old June 14th 2005, 04:27 AM
Visiting is pretty...

I wouldntve bought the cd if I knew this..... this really frustrates me big time.... and I cant get enough quaility... and you cant even put them on your ipod... does anyone know how to get them at 320kbit mp3's and be able to put them on your ipod????

Last edited by bryce35 : June 14th 2005 at 04:33 AM.
Old June 14th 2005, 04:57 AM
I'll Stick Around

Depends on where you bought it...in the UK, they copy protect most of the CDs cause a lot of people who bought the new Coldplay album had the same problems. I bought my Coldplay CD in Seattle at Best Buy and already burned 2 copies and ripped it as mp3s onto my computer.

If you buy it at Best Buy, most likely it won't be copy protected. Just shop around for one without the sticker since they're clearly marked.
Old June 14th 2005, 10:16 AM
I'll Stick Around

have you tried holding down shift as you put the cd in so the autorun doesnt load...then go to itunes or whatever you use. Hopefuly thatl sort it.
Old June 14th 2005, 10:27 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Thumbs down

Illegalize copy-protection on CDs! You are just spoiling for the home users, Let us do what we want with our stuff. The CDs WILL come out on the web, copy-protected or not, so give it up...
Old June 14th 2005, 10:33 AM
In too deep

If I can't rip my copy, I'm downloading a torrent to get the MP3s of the album, illegal? Maybe, but I rip all my music to my computer so why shouldn't I be able to do that? The band and record company have my money, why should I have to get the CD everytime I want a listen?

Plus, copy protection is an expensive waste of time, how many times has a "copy protected" album ended up as an illegal download anyway? Even if the person ripping it has to use an audio recording program, they can still get round copy protection. They should invest making CDs cheaper.
Old June 14th 2005, 10:43 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwhosoldtheworld
If I can't rip my copy, I'm downloading a torrent to get the MP3s of the album, illegal? Maybe, but I rip all my music to my computer so why shouldn't I be able to do that? The band and record company have my money, why should I have to get the CD everytime I want a listen?

Plus, copy protection is an expensive waste of time, how many times has a "copy protected" album ended up as an illegal download anyway? Even if the person ripping it has to use an audio recording program, they can still get round copy protection. They should invest making CDs cheaper.
Exactly my point! But itís quit annoying that when you have bought something then you canít rip the CD correctly and you have to download it of the web. Thanks to copy-protection I have skipped buying many music CDs that I like just for the annoying copy-protection. Now I couldnít resist ordering the new Foo CD, but that is going up in the shelf for viewing and collecting dust.
Old June 14th 2005, 10:44 AM
Have you found your way around

Oh man,

I hate these copy-protected CDs. Not because I can't always rip them (go figure) but because they're rife with corrupt data. So every now and again, while playing the CD on an older player, I'll hear a pop or a crack. These discs are also more affected by any damage that occurs as they're manufactured "damaged".

The only way to be able to get around this is to copy the CD using a cd/dvd drive that will play it and creating a copy without corrupt data and playing that instead. Kinda defeats the point of the copy protection doesn't it??

btw, the torrents that have been floating around the web are pretty good quality and I've had the album on my iPod for the past couple of weeks thanks to that leak.

SFK

FF: 24/08/05 Astoria 27/08/05 Reading 14/06/06 Vict Apollo 16/06/06 Underworld 17/06/06 Hyde Park 05/07/07 Dingwalls 18/08/07 V Fest 17&18/11/07 O2 Arena 07/06/08 Wembley Stadium 11/07/11 Roundhouse 26/08/12 Reading 10/09/14 Concorde 2 14/09/14 Invictus 24/06/17 Glasto 19/09/17 O2 21/09/17 RAH
TH: 11/05/10 Scala
TCV: 11/12/09 Portsmouth GH 17&18/12/09 Hammersmith Apollo 22/03/10 RAH 05/07/10 Brixton
SCP: 19/02/13 Forum
CS: 14/06/17 WR
Old June 14th 2005, 10:50 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingForKate
Oh man,

I hate these copy-protected CDs. Not because I can't always rip them (go figure) but because they're rife with corrupt data. So every now and again, while playing the CD on an older player, I'll hear a pop or a crack. These discs are also more affected by any damage that occurs as they're manufactured "damaged".

The only way to be able to get around this is to copy the CD using a cd/dvd drive that will play it and creating a copy without corrupt data and playing that instead. Kinda defeats the point of the copy protection doesn't it??

btw, the torrents that have been floating around the web are pretty good quality and I've had the album on my iPod for the past couple of weeks thanks to that leak.

SFK
Oh, forgotten them copy-protection (A very long time ago I bought a CD with that protection ) and remember when I got home and wanted to play the CD and didnít hear anything, that CD was cut in to pieces and drag on the street.
Old June 14th 2005, 11:10 AM
In too deep

I just ripped mine in Media Player 10, no problem.
Old June 14th 2005, 09:52 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddsy
have you tried holding down shift as you put the cd in so the autorun doesnt load...then go to itunes or whatever you use. Hopefuly thatl sort it.
I just tried pressing shift to bypass the autorun to get the CD to burn, and it started burning and halfway through the first track it said there were write errors. I tried another blank CD and the same thing happened. Then I tried holding down shift the entire time the CD was burning, and the entire CD burned without any errors, but when I tried playing it back, the songs "skipped" like the original .wmv files... ah...
Old June 14th 2005, 09:57 PM
Visiting is pretty...

after all my complaining, i bought the cd and actually tried it... just hold shift as you put the cd in until you hear it stop being accessed by the computer, then you can use itunes or EAC or whatever to rip it. worked great for both discs for me.
Old June 14th 2005, 10:14 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Ya I had no problem getting mine into itunes and onto the pod using the shift trick. Haven't tried to burn anything yet though.
Old June 14th 2005, 10:17 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I tried to rip the new CD (that I purchased at Best Buy today) in Windows Media Player 10 on 2 different PC's and had no luck. Both sound like they are skipping. I then did some digging and found a site about ISO's that linked me to a lot of sites with bittorrents on them. I think I can download the album from there and keep it on my PC, then I can leave the CD in my car.

I can't believe I have to go to some other site to get music I've already purchased. Ridiculous!

Oh, and that shift key thing doesn't work either.

Great album Foo Fighters, assanine protection.
Old June 14th 2005, 10:18 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I just figured out that the shift trick only works if you do it every time you put the cd in your computer. So, if you ever put your cd in the computer without doing the shift trick, it will never work again. so BE SURE TO DO THIS the first time you put the cd in your computer, and rip right away!!! i ripped everything fine and then was experimenting and got the cd skipping sound every time i tried the shift trick after putting in the cd without the shift trick and letting it acquire the licenses.

-adam
Old June 14th 2005, 10:43 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwhosoldtheworld
I just ripped mine in Media Player 10, no problem.
Have you listened to it, and/or burned a copy of the files? If you can, let us know how they turn out.
Old June 14th 2005, 10:45 PM
I'll Stick Around

Got mine at Best Buy, ripped to computer. The only issue I'm having is getting The Sign for .wma to .mp3 format, its protected....Anyone know a fix?
Old June 14th 2005, 10:48 PM
Visiting is pretty...

If your in the UK and doesn't play correctly on any device displaying the compact disc logo, then take it to trading standards. Oh and real player had no issue ripping my copy.
Old June 14th 2005, 10:55 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default No problems

I just bought the disc and had no problems ripping to iTunes on a Mac (OSX). From there, I just copied the files to my PC. No problems at all.
Old June 14th 2005, 11:03 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Smile

I had no problem at all I copied the 2 discs onto musicmatch and then burned them onto discs. I always do this so I can take my copies to work to play. I wouldn't want to ruin my nice new original album. Maybe it's different in the UK.