Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 19th 2010, 06:47 AM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Default MGMT rejected invitation to open for Foos.

Yeah we are way slow on news but... whatever... read it or ignore it. got it from perezhilton...
Bandmember Andrew Van Wyngarden says:
"We've recently been offered support slots with a ton of big bands. Really huge, enormous, big bands - Like Lady GaGa and U2 and Coldplay and Foo Fighters. And we turned them all down. We really didn't want to do any of that. I think on some level Congratulations is a reaction to the success of the first one. I mean, of course we were happy and felt lucky that stuff happened, but it wasn't really what we were shooting for. I think a lot of people misinterpreted and misunderstood what we were about."

Old March 19th 2010, 04:40 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: MGMT rejected invitation to open for Foos.

I think thats kind of lame of them to say thats "what we are all about".
What are they about that they can't play shows for people who love their music? They thought it was good, so they invited them to play it? I don't know, that comment just sounds weird to me.
Old March 19th 2010, 04:59 PM
Have you found your way around

I don't get what they are saying... but whatever it is it sounds pretentious. They've had two albums as MGMT and they play annoying indie music, and they think they're above touring with 'big' bands? :S I might (probably) have the wrong end of the stick though.
Old March 19th 2010, 05:03 PM

I find it funny that the foos dig MGMT.

Last edited by Josh : March 19th 2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old March 19th 2010, 06:30 PM

Yeah, I would be annoyed to see MGMT in support of Foos. I mean, they are totally different musically and I like it when the support band has the same music style like the other band.

Milton Keynes II 2011 | Pukkelpop 2011 | Rock en Seine 2011 | Villa Manin 2012 | Pukkelpop 2012 | Reading 2012 | The Forum 2013 (SCP) | Wembley Stadium II
Milton Keynes I 2015 | Köhln 2015 | Rock Werchter 2017 | AccorHotels Arena Paris 2017 | NOS Alive 2017 | Sportpaleis Antwerp 2018 | Olympic Stadium II 2018
Old March 20th 2010, 12:53 AM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandraann View Post
I think thats kind of lame of them to say thats "what we are all about".
What are they about that they can't play shows for people who love their music? They thought it was good, so they invited them to play it? I don't know, that comment just sounds weird to me.
Yeah, I should've posted the whole thing.
They mean they are not into arenas and be enclosed into "mainstream" they are and want to stay indies.

Kinda dumb and pretentious.
Old March 20th 2010, 03:22 AM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshizzleX6661 View Post
I don't get what they are saying... but whatever it is it sounds pretentious. They've had two albums as MGMT and they play annoying indie music, and they think they're above touring with 'big' bands? :S I might (probably) have the wrong end of the stick though.
I was going to write the exact same thing with different words.

they sound like a bunch of arrogant kids. it's ok to have a motto, to try to stay small and all that, but if you DO want to follow this, then you DON'T mention who were the big bands that invited you to open, that's just ridiculous to sneak in this information to wow people while you play humble.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old March 20th 2010, 03:30 AM
Never knowing who to believe

They opened for Paul McCartney though
Old March 20th 2010, 03:37 AM

Also, I think they should've gone with Lady Gaga. I'd pay to see that show.
Old March 20th 2010, 04:08 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicanFOO View Post
Yeah, I should've posted the whole thing.
They mean they are not into arenas and be enclosed into "mainstream" they are and want to stay indies.

Kinda dumb and pretentious.
It is pretentious...I can see that someone would not want to be under the pressure of thousands of fans..etc...but I think it should just about the product...
What, did they want to make music and not have people like it and want to see it live? It sounds almost ungrateful. What was their goal? To be un-sucessful?

Last edited by cassandraann : March 20th 2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old March 20th 2010, 05:47 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

MGMT started as a joke. They were just messing around at their university. Not everyone wants to play arenas all the time, they just want to have fun with it. A friend of mine is an amazing guitarist, and was offered a record deal in high school. He turned them down because he wanted to play for fun around town, and felt that taking their offer might take all the joy out of it.
Maximum cycle characteristics and frequency response of high decible level have been set according to standards suggested in the Guy Stevens Producers Manual, chart B-357 in index, page 304. These recommended standards were compiled by the same authority having recently measured audible damage created by supersonic aircraft. If for any reason you do not agree with these standards,--turn it up.
Old March 20th 2010, 06:53 AM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamilia View Post
Yeah, I would be annoyed to see MGMT in support of Foos. I mean, they are totally different musically and I like it when the support band has the same music style like the other band.
Yeah but thefact is, in the 15 years, the Foo Fighters have been doing their own tours, I can think of maybe a handful opening acts they've had that were kindof in the same musical vein.

Most were sorta close and mostly fit in the "if you like this, you might also enjoy.........this" umbrella of music without really necessarily sounding alike
Old March 20th 2010, 06:57 AM

I saw them open for Beck a couple of years ago, but it was at a relatively small venue. I was down front in the pit so I had to be there for the MGMT set. I was only familiar with a couple of their songs but I thought they put on a fairly strong live show. (And Beck put on the weakest show I've ever seen him do. )

I'm not an MGMT fan but if this means that they would rather headline small venues than open for other bands at arenas, then good for them. I hate arenas with a passion. Bands who open arena shows always seem just miserable. Even when it's someone I like, it's painful to watch an opening act with all the people milling about and getting drinks, etc. What the fuck is Fiona Apple doing opening an arena show for Coldplay?

I was thankful that bands like White Stripes would play theaters when they could have played larger venues here. In the next month, I have tickets to six concerts at local theaters and clubs. Some of these are bands that I'm only mildly interested in. I'm sick to death of arena shows. I'd rather pay $30 to see Spoon at a club than $125 to see Tom Petty at an arena.

(By the way, I never saw Foos when they were opening arena shows -- but I sure did see them headline small venues, and I'm glad that I did. )
Old March 20th 2010, 10:03 AM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Aside from the fact that MGMT opening for the Foos would be horrible (I'd had thought at best 1 in 10 people who like the Foos would like them), they just don't suit that type of setting. I've seen them in a variety of venues, ranging from a 750 grotty student place, to a Festival second stage and supporting Radiohead and they looked really uncomfortable at the latter.
Old March 21st 2010, 01:53 AM
I'll Stick Around

They suck anyway. Not a very entertaining group. I think The Against Me and Serj opening act was tremendous. Both are very talented. I just don't see much talent from MGMT. Ben Fold opening would be good, but wouldn't happen. Would love to see a Rise Against/Foo calabo... Probably wouldn't happen. Or a QOTSA and FOO.............. Sorry.... just dreaming here.
Old March 21st 2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Failure View Post
Aside from the fact that MGMT opening for the Foos would be horrible (I'd had thought at best 1 in 10 people who like the Foos would like them), they just don't suit that type of setting. I've seen them in a variety of venues, ranging from a 750 grotty student place, to a Festival second stage and supporting Radiohead and they looked really uncomfortable at the latter.
But I would be happy. Isn't that all that matters?!
Old March 21st 2010, 06:12 AM

What shitty band, nobody is going to remember these kids in 10 years

"If you think about it with an open mind, music can be nameless, it can be faceless - it can just be music"
Old March 21st 2010, 07:11 AM
Not Jamie II: Jamie Harder

Two questions:

1) What does MGMT stand for? I am too lazy to look it up.

2) Do the Foo Fighters pick who they want to tour with them, or does their record label make that call?
Old March 21st 2010, 11:23 AM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
But I would be happy. Isn't that all that matters?!
Well, that is obviously an important consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyeck070707 View Post
Two questions:

1) What does MGMT stand for? I am too lazy to look it up.

2) Do the Foo Fighters pick who they want to tour with them, or does their record label make that call?
1) They were originally called The Management, then shortened it.

2) I'd imagine the Foos (well, Dave) has the majority of input. Even if it were the label, it would still be a poor decision.
Old March 21st 2010, 01:31 PM
(Not) The Boss

In the top ten for worst bands i have heard. They are now with Hinder, Daughtry, Nickelback, Jaguar Love.