Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 17th 2011, 04:47 AM
A star burned out

Default Re: "Hell" from IYH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzWords View Post
man the threads have been awful around here lately.
ditto.

I don't think he ever wrote anything to be read this much into. if he gets more personal, he'll be vague because we all know that no matter how much of a great guy he is, he treasures his privacy.

if he was to write a response to this thread, would be something like "get in a fucking garage, start your own fucking band, write your own fucking songs and stop wasting your time".
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old August 17th 2011, 10:36 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songo View Post
Songs like this hell and the necklace he wears make me uncomfortable
Just wanted to point out, the necklace is not an inverted cross, but Thor's Hammer
Old August 17th 2011, 11:00 AM
I don't have a cofee problem.

Has the OP got an opinion on Dave dressing up as Satan for Tenacious D? Is that because he loves and worships the devil or for laughs?

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old August 17th 2011, 02:42 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elayblooze View Post
Hell,
in this day in age there are clearer boundaries, especially in the United States, where American artists have long struggled against religious and fundamental persecution to get their own creative efforts released and heard.

'Hell' as you say, can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. Hell, it means a lot to this dude personally. I can't tell you how many times I've heard In Your Honor, or any music really and, depending on my mood, I hear completely different things.

But see, I'm not tryin' to rail against you, or Christians, or Atheists, or anybody. What I AM TRYING TO SAY is- LET ART BE, LET IT BE!

In the 80's Tipper Gore (Al's former wife), helped in labeling, to not much effect, music- particularly metal- that they felt was promoting Evil things.
[They failed, thankfully, and today Rap, Metal, Rock, etc. have not been unduly constricted]

There are countless interpretations in our vast Cosmos about the 'Meaning of it All"- they ALL RESONATE.

Quick questions for all involved-
What does it mean for me, who is as spiritual as anyone, Dave or you included, to contemplate and recognize Hellish-ness here on Earth or in people's deeds towards myself and family?

What does it mean when my little girl gleefully sings- "I Never Wanna Die, I'm Dancin' On my Grave from her favourite song now- "WALK"?

Hell, what does it mean that I really really love and get off to AC/DC's "Highway to Hell"- which is a mofo Rocker?

All these are personal burning questions which just exist- No right, no wrong, No judgment.

A close friend of mine, who is very Christian, told me upon my promise to try to "Do Better", the following:

"Well, that's ok, that's all we can do, we're not God. That would be TOO MUCH work."

I say, "kick out the jams, enjoy the excellent tuneage, and everyone wrestle with your own personal demons and try to do the best you can!"

Cheers mates :>
That made me chuckle/sorry I'm juvenile.
Old August 17th 2011, 03:27 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm a foo fighter View Post
That made me chuckle/sorry I'm juvenile.
Chuckles are Good- Sayyyy No Mo!

:>
Old August 17th 2011, 04:09 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
ditto.

I don't think he ever wrote anything to be read this much into. if he gets more personal, he'll be vague because we all know that no matter how much of a great guy he is, he treasures his privacy.

if he was to write a response to this thread, would be something like "get in a fucking garage, start your own fucking band, write your own fucking songs and stop wasting your time".
Maybe you are right he would. And I of course respect his privacy. I don't think it's disrespectful to ask on forum question about say religion of the members, because all one is basically looking for is what Dave might have said about it in the past! It's not really why I started the thread though it might seem that way from the first postI have not musical talent whatsoever though so meanwhile I prefer to listen to bands songs. Sometimes I thinks its valid to ask what a song is about, and I see it happen quite often that Dave or others are asked questions regarding the meaning of songs.

I'm sorry you two think the thread is awful, maybe it is. I'd just like to mention again that I made the thread wondering if anyone knew of or interpreted the song in a different way than I have so far. I should have skipped some of the details though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
Has the OP got an opinion on Dave dressing up as Satan for Tenacious D? Is that because he loves and worships the devil or for laughs?
Though this might derail this thread even further I'l say that while I have not seen that movie I have seen the pictures and read some interviews etc. I get that is for laughs, but it's still something that I personally don't like that much. It's a part of a much broader discussion though when it comes to portrayals like that, but there is no point having that one here
Old August 17th 2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe you are right he would. And I of course respect his privacy. I don't think it's disrespectful to ask on forum question about say religion of the members, because all one is basically looking for is what Dave might have said about it in the past! It's not really why I started the thread though it might seem that way from the first postI have not musical talent whatsoever though so meanwhile I prefer to listen to bands songs. Sometimes I thinks its valid to ask what a song is about, and I see it happen quite often that Dave or others are asked questions regarding the meaning of songs.

I'm sorry you two think the thread is awful, maybe it is. I'd just like to mention again that I made the thread wondering if anyone knew of or interpreted the song in a different way than I have so far. I should have skipped some of the details though.

Though this might derail this thread even further I'l say that while I have not seen that movie I have seen the pictures and read some interviews etc. I get that is for laughs, but it's still something that I personally don't like that much. It's a part of a much broader discussion though when it comes to portrayals like that, but there is no point having that one here
I think 3 things have emerged from this thread, so thanks OP:

1) A great deal of discussion about people's own personal spiritual beliefs;

2) Probably more personal info about the OP than we will ever get from Dave or the other guys in the band about themselves;

and finally,

3) The great love and respect that Foo Fighters fans on this site have for Dave and the rest of this magical band, which they will defend willingly against the world.

Cheers mates, Rock On til the Dawn!
:>
Old August 17th 2011, 04:48 PM
winnebago/butterflies

i think dave uses hell as a metaphor of having to suffer through something bad. and the devil reference is about the fact that there is more than the polite safe way of doing things.
Old August 17th 2011, 09:33 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
i think dave uses hell as a metaphor of having to suffer through something bad. and the devil reference is about the fact that there is more than the polite safe way of doing things.
Makes sense. The kind of thoughts I'm looking for
Old August 17th 2011, 11:34 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Dave's response to this thread...
Old August 18th 2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I was just listening the other day to IYH, and heard this song. My background, which you can probably guess, makes me have a slightly hard time accepting this song. I know a lot here don't share this background but I'm sure some do. For most of the time i can live with hell being used as a powerful expression , but here it's one notch further (ref:See you in hell) I've never been 100% comfortable singing along with the lyrics in Aurora (which is a fantastic song I know we/all/most agree) or long road to ruin (not so great), but this song I don't really like listen too.
I am surprised by this topic. Nothing against you (at all) but hard core 'born again' Christians typically won't even listen to rock, not even christian rock bands ... believing the lyrics are irrelevant, and that rock music, just by its beat/sound etc., is satanic on its own. The so-called hard-core christians only listen to christian folk music. But even so, it is the Foo Fighters, by no means a christian rock band, so nothing more needs to be said, lyrical content will all over the place. To me, Dave writes some fantastic lyrics!
Old August 18th 2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFooFan View Post
Funny as hel ... oops, i mean that was funny!