Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 5th 2013, 07:23 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Pat Smear questions

Wow, that letter sure is something. I knew they were on their way to a break up, but that letters sounds a little harsh.
10-06-2010 Them Crooked Vultures, Heineken Music Hall
13-06-2011 Foo Fighters, Pinkpop

Deku Palace - Kraid's Lair - Storm Eagle
Old November 5th 2013, 01:36 PM
Never knowing who to believe

I don't know if I buy that Kurt wrote that letter, but it's all alternate history speculation at this point.

Old November 5th 2013, 02:25 PM
The Sidekick

Unlike the end of the suicide note I don't believe there has ever been any doubt from those in the know that Kurt didn't write that.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old November 5th 2013, 03:16 PM

That Hol-r-e strikes again

uggh

Old November 5th 2013, 03:50 PM

I thought it was very telling that Dave and Krist included Pat when they came to Chicago to work with Albini on the In Utero 20th anniversary stuff.

Old November 5th 2013, 08:21 PM
Ready on your mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
I thought it was very telling that Dave and Krist included Pat when they came to Chicago to work with Albini on the In Utero 20th anniversary stuff.

Me, too - in their eyes, he was a member of Nirvana, and showing that respect and holding him to such esteem means a lot.
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Old November 5th 2013, 11:24 PM

That's because they are class acts, not trashy,
and Pat's such a goof too,
well, I don't mean that exactly, since he's a wonderful musician and artist,
I just mean
that when Foo Fighters get together they sure seem to get their rocks off,
and Pat always seems to be super havin' a Grand time!

namaste three cheers for Mr. Smear
:>
Old December 11th 2013, 09:53 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Not quite on topic, but I didn't want to start a new topic just for this. This was something I'd never heard before:
Quote:
Smear's first gig with Nirvana was on a September 1993 episode of "Saturday Night Live," where the seminal grunge act performed the songs "Heart-Shaped Box" and "Rape Me." "I remember the first day of rehearsal at the 'SNL' studio, they forgot me," Smear tells Rolling Stone (via Loudwire), laughing. "A couple hours later, someone called me and goes, 'Oh, we're used to having three guys, sorry!'"
Oops.
Old December 12th 2013, 12:32 AM

most of you have probably heard this mtv-info-videos-ish fun fact, but pat smear was asked to join red hot chili peppers before joining nirvana. he said he would do it, but only if they stopped playing funk, which led to them eventually ending up with dave navarro as john frusciantes repleacement.

when dave and taylor were on howard stern they talked about how he left the band, and when howard asked them if pat was a fool to jump of a band that was so clearly heading for success they replied "thats just pat, man, he doesn't care..." and i really do believe it.

shit i'm way of topic, but i just watched "barbarella" and that film had a strange effect on me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gwIdvs8CfY
Old December 12th 2013, 04:56 PM

I remember an interview with Dave in like 1997 where he said that when Pat joined the band, Pat's friends took bets on how soon it would be before he'd quit.
Old December 12th 2013, 05:17 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFooFan View Post
I remember an interview with Dave in like 1997 where he said that when Pat joined the band, Pat's friends took bets on how soon it would be before he'd quit.
Yeah I remember that one, because Pat doesn't stay put in any band for too long.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old December 12th 2013, 07:02 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
I read somewhere else that Courtney actually wrote this letter impersonating Kurt, hoping it would drive Krist and Dave out of the band. Huh.
as absurd as it sounds, I'd buy it. it's very much the childish self she keeps to this day, but then again, he got very deeply influenced by her and that could be said influence speaking along with drugs or anything. as Simon pointed out, the fact that it was never sent is probably the biggest indicator that he really did wrote that, she would most likely have sent it.

and since we're talking about Pat here, I have a curiosity someone here could maybe bring a light to. on 'Back and Forth' Pat says that what got his interest in joining Nirvana was an interview with Kurt where he says it was always meant to be a 4-piece, then thought "that's my in". but the film doesn't go into much detail (naturally, it was just an intro to FFs history) and I wonder how that came about, did he contact Nirvana to offer his expertise or a fortunate coincidence with them inviting him when he already was interested?
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old December 12th 2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
and since we're talking about Pat here, I have a curiosity someone here could maybe bring a light to. on 'Back and Forth' Pat says that what got his interest in joining Nirvana was an interview with Kurt where he says it was always meant to be a 4-piece, then thought "that's my in". but the film doesn't go into much detail (naturally, it was just an intro to FFs history) and I wonder how that came about, did he contact Nirvana to offer his expertise or a fortunate coincidence with them inviting him when he already was interested?
i think he was a friend of courtney love...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gwIdvs8CfY
Old December 13th 2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
Sounds like even Pat's not totally sure how it happened.
Quote:
“I’d read an interview with Kurt, where he said that Nirvana was meant to be a four-piece,” says Smear. “And I thought that I could be that fourth member. I was looking to join Nirvana, it was as simple as that! I was looking to search them out, to ask them about joining. And then I got the call – it was a big, crazy coincidence.”

“I was calling friends, asking for Courtney [Love]’s number,” he continues. “I’d not had her number for a while, as she was always changing it. But the story I heard about the call, from the Cobains’ nanny Cali, was that Kurt and Courtney were just sitting around, talking about potential second guitarists to bring into the band, and the Germs were playing in the background. And then Courtney says, ‘Hey, I know this guy…” And it was that simple, as far as I know.”
Old May 4th 2014, 10:38 PM
Rockin458

Eek! Re: Pat Smear questions

Good afternoon,

I'm a huge FF fan, Sorry for nirvana questions! Have FF q's too.

1) on "Back and Forth" Pat says that Kurt Cobain invited him to join Nirvana. I know Pat didn't play on InUtero (the last studio album of the group) but he did of all live and video nirvana stuff in that last year. Didn't KC's invitation to join the band make him a member? What makes a person an "official" member?

2) Also on "Back and Forth" Dave G said he was the 5th drummer of Nirvana.... I did see an article online..... But, who are the other four?

3) last. On Dave. How does he rank as a rock drummer versus the other an the world and who is the recognized authority on that subject?

Thanks! T
Old May 4th 2014, 11:00 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin458 View Post
Good afternoon,

I'm a huge FF fan, Sorry for nirvana questions! Have FF q's too.

1) on "Back and Forth" Pat says that Kurt Cobain invited him to join Nirvana. I know Pat didn't play on InUtero (the last studio album of the group) but he did of all live and video nirvana stuff in that last year. Didn't KC's invitation to join the band make him a member? What makes a person an "official" member?

2) Also on "Back and Forth" Dave G said he was the 5th drummer of Nirvana.... I did see an article online..... But, who are the other four?

3) last. On Dave. How does he rank as a rock drummer versus the other an the world and who is the recognized authority on that subject?

Thanks! T
1. As far as I remember he was never officially asked to join the band fully, he was asked to join as a touring guitarist to help Kurt out. I'm sure there is an interview with Pat where he talks about this somewhere. He wasn't present at the final recording session either, the one where 'You Know You're Right' was recorded. Kurt supposedly did plan to send him a tape to add his part on later but obviously that never happened because of his death.

2. He was actually number 6, technically.

Aaron Burckhard
Dale Crover
Dave Foster
Chad Channing
Dan Peters

Although the latter was only for one show.

3. Well, that's all a matter of opinion!

--
Old May 7th 2014, 12:42 PM
All out of bubblegum

I read somewhere that Pat wasn't at Robert Lang Studios in January 1994 because he wanted to go to LA because he was home sick (remember, this guy didn't like touring a whole lot). Since he kept up Kurt's morale, I'm sure he had every intention of keeping him full time, before things started going down near the end.

As for the letter, is there any verification that was written in 1994? It could have been written in 92 when the songwriting royalty dispute was going on, and the band were very close to breaking up. (Kurt decided that not only did he want the songwriting royalties changed in his favor to 90%, but he also wanted it done retroactively, so Krist and Dave would have ended up owing him money. He called Dave and told him that he couldn't believe how selfish he was being and Dave hung up on him)
Old June 6th 2014, 10:22 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I read somewhere that Kurt wanted Pat to help him with writing. Also, Pat suggested Kurt to write with Dave. BTW I want to know on which live songs Pat plays his own tracks(If you dunno what I mean check School from Live and Loud). Can somebody tell me that?