Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 28th 2017, 08:25 PM
All out of bubblegum

Default Did Dave have plans for first album songs if Nirvana hadn't ended?

I was just wondering if Dave ever specified what his plans were for the songs from the first FF record if Nirvana hadn't ended. Was he going to make another release as Late? Kurt had shown interest in a couple of the songs, was he going to hold them over and see if Nirvana would use them, or had he given up at that point waiting on him?
Old January 30th 2017, 01:50 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Did Dave have plans for first album songs if Nirvana hadn't ended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElScottcho View Post
I was just wondering if Dave ever specified what his plans were for the songs from the first FF record if Nirvana hadn't ended. Was he going to make another release as Late? Kurt had shown interest in a couple of the songs, was he going to hold them over and see if Nirvana would use them, or had he given up at that point waiting on him?
- Dave didn't really plan anything w/ them. He recorded shit on his off time w/ Nirvana, out of boredom.

- Dave is humble about the stuff he did then, said he never imagined it was good, or that anyone would care to hear it. Still, he must have thought enough about it to bring it to his contact at Simple Machines, so it is likely he would have done something similar with his subsequent recordings, at some point. Again, he had no actual plans.

- Yes, he had hopes that Nirvana would use some, they did with Marigold, and Kurt liked a couple other songs that Dave had him listen to. Not sure what you mean about "given up waiting on him", there was no 'waiting' ... Kurt killed himself so that ended that -- Dave stated he wasn't going to do music for some time after, and then decided on his Foo project (thankfully).
Old January 30th 2017, 03:23 AM
All out of bubblegum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_gravity View Post
- Dave didn't really plan anything w/ them. He recorded shit on his off time w/ Nirvana, out of boredom.

- Dave is humble about the stuff he did then, said he never imagined it was good, or that anyone would care to hear it. Still, he must have thought enough about it to bring it to his contact at Simple Machines, so it is likely he would have done something similar with his subsequent recordings, at some point. Again, he had no actual plans.

- Yes, he had hopes that Nirvana would use some, they did with Marigold, and Kurt liked a couple other songs that Dave had him listen to. Not sure what you mean about "given up waiting on him", there was no 'waiting' ... Kurt killed himself so that ended that -- Dave stated he wasn't going to do music for some time after, and then decided on his Foo project (thankfully).
The title specifically says "If Nirvana hadn't ended" When I say waiting I mean that Alone + Easy Target had been kicking around since 1991 and supposedly was jammed at Nirvana soundchecks, and by 1993 he had the song more or less finished as it would appear on the first Foo Fighters album. Same with Exhausted.
Old January 30th 2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
The title specifically says "If Nirvana hadn't ended" When I say waiting I mean that Alone + Easy Target had been kicking around since 1991 and supposedly was jammed at Nirvana soundchecks, and by 1993 he had the song more or less finished as it would appear on the first Foo Fighters album. Same with Exhausted.
And when I way "Dave didn't really plan anything w/ them. ", I am stating what Dave said himself, many times. What does the title have to do with it?

Dave said he dicked around, never thought the stuff would amount to anything, many times. He mainly did it for himself.

It was already after In Utero was recorded, when Dave played Kurt his songs. Dave said Kurt kissed him and said something like 'thank god, i don't have to write all the songs now' ... so yeah, no waiting. A lot of what Dave did in sessions was done with Krist when they were waiting for Kurt to show up.

BTW, what did you ask the question for if you either didn't really want an answer, or already think you knew the answer.

Last edited by wicked_gravity : January 30th 2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add on
Old January 31st 2017, 03:31 PM
All out of bubblegum

You have a lot of misinformation in your post. Dave played Kurt his songs prior to In Utero. They were jamming on Alone+Easy Target in 1991. Kurt heard Dave play Marigold when they lived together on Pear Street in Olympia (90/91).

Obviously he had plans in place for his music since he already released Pocketwatch. He had a whole new batch of songs by that point, and a couple of them Kurt showed interest in making Nirvana songs. The question I asked is, with this new batch of songs, coming in to early 1994, is if he was still looking to give them consideration as Nirvana songs, or if he was going to do another self-release like Pocketwatch.
Old January 31st 2017, 05:01 PM
A star burned out

that's some needless bickering
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old February 1st 2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
You have a lot of misinformation in your post. ...
Possible but a lot of what I posted came from Dave's own comments... If his comments were incorrect, that's on him. And I could be wrong, but my memory is that Dave and Kris jammed on Alone/Easy Target, and I think Big Me ... while waiting for Kurt.

Either way, still trying to figure out the point of the thread, it seems you have it all figured out (or at least believe you do).

In summary, and what can't be debated, Dave claims he had no plans, he did the songs for himself out of boredom.

Last edited by wicked_gravity : February 1st 2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old February 1st 2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
The question I asked is, with this new batch of songs, coming in to early 1994, is if he was still looking to give them consideration as Nirvana songs, or if he was going to do another self-release like Pocketwatch.
No one here will be able to answer that question. But he knew that Nirvana was Kurt's creative output and that he was just the drummer. He almost quit the band at the time when he overheard Kurt criticize his playing, so I can't imagine that he was confident enough playing Kurt his songs again. I doubt that Kurt would have ever considered using a Dave song for Nirvana anyway. Maybe a riff or an idea, like Scentless Apprentice, but not a finished song.

Last edited by paid mourner : February 1st 2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old February 1st 2017, 08:59 PM
Ready on your mark

I can't remember who said it but Dave was handing out demos a few years before Kurt's death/FF. If true, while modest on the surface, he seemed to be constantly creating and seeing where he could take it. In that sense, FF was kind of inevitable, whether it was in the form we know it to be or not.
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com