Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 12th 2017, 10:03 PM
Team Pat

Default Re: 'Concrete and Gold' out Sept 15th

I only ordered the album and it came today. :-) Still listening. I was super excited about La Dee Da. Mixed differently than I expected, so I'm still deciding on it.

2000-Bloomington, IN
Poor or had little kids for 15 years
2015-Noblesville/Indy
2017-Chicago (Metro), Knoxville, Cincinnati
2018-Lexington, Memphis, Nashville, Noblesville/Indy, Wrigley x2, Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Paul
2019 Atlanta, New Orleans x2, Sonic Temple

Upcoming:
9/20/19 Louisville-Bourbon and Beyond
9/21-22/19 Pilgrimage Festival
Old September 12th 2017, 10:06 PM
Everything fades in time it's true...

Have any surfaced in the UK yet? I've not had a shipping email so far.
The O2 Arena 18-1-07
Wembley Stadium 6 & 7-8-08
Milton Keynes Bowl 3-7-11
Reading Festival 26-8-12
AccorHotels Arena 3-7-17
The O2 Arena 19-9-17
The Royal Albert Hall 21-9-17
Etihad Stadium 19-6-18
London Stadium 22 & 23-6-18
Pula Arena 18 & 19-6-19
----
Bellahouston Park 17-8-19
Vital Festival 19-8-19
RDS Arena 21-8-19
Leeds Festival 23-8-19
Reading Festival 25-8-19

Dave's Foo Flickr
Old September 12th 2017, 11:08 PM
The finder of things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKid815 View Post
Chris Shiflett: a Foo Fighters Story

I'm kidding actually they've been better for giving him solos on the last few records. I was a little disappointed there weren't really any big solos on C&G (especially after Saint Cecilia, which had lots), but overall, I am really happy with the "band-y" nature of the record, there were parts for everyone.

Man the album is so good, Arrows and Concrete and Gold are the only ones that didn't immediately grab me but I still like them. and even then I really love what the title track is doing, and how Floyd-y it is, as others have mentioned.

Happily Ever After (Zero Hour) makes me happy. Dirty Water is probably still my favourite. I also love Sunday Rain. I don't mind Cold Day as much as others, but it would be pretty much the same song if Dave sang it, whereas Sunday Rain really takes advantage of Taylor's strengths as a singer, which are different than Dave's. Which I enjoy.

I wonder if they'll play the whole thing live once it's out? Dave seems like he's itching to.
Did you pre-order it?
Old September 12th 2017, 11:32 PM
Run for your life with me

Got the Cd today. Intitial reaction..

T SHIRT- cool as hell. Wish it was longer

Run- love run. Been on that for months now

Make it right- definite rocker- could be the next single. Really liked it off the bat. Love that Everybody breathe verse. Love the lyrics, one of my favorite moments on the record.

TSIAN- love this song. So much going on, really catchy. Another one I can't stop listening to.

La Dee Da- maybe the best song on the album - IMO - love this studio version, very unexpected things going on In the song.

Dirty water- love the slow build, really like the latter part of the song a lot. Very cool and different.

Arrows- catchy chorus- like this A lot. Listening now as I write this.

Happy ever after- very Beatlesque- as someone else said, reminds me of Blackbird in the first verse. Cool lyrics. Mood song for me.

Sunday Rain- very 70's feel. Almost like the Eagles and the Beatles mashed together

The Line- My initial reaction when it was released last week, was kinda iffy, it has grown on me and can't get it out of my head. Damn Foo Fighters!

Concrete and Gold- Huge Epic Grand Amazing. Such a cool way to end the album. It's another mood song for me, but I've listened a few times and keep discovering cool parts.

All in all, very solid album. If you can, listen to it straight thru, it's one of those albums. Take it all in. Really love that they went out of their comfort zone. Love this band!!
Old September 13th 2017, 12:08 AM
The finder of things...

This is kinda, sorta off topic but damn....has Dave lost a ton of weight lately?
Old September 13th 2017, 12:36 AM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
I must resist downloading a leak of this album...wait until Friday...must wait until Friday. But, as usual, the experience of hearing a new Foo album for the first time (at the quality it's intended to be heard at) is something that never leaves you. I remember the first time hearing 'The Colour And The Shape', 'One By One' etc...on CD. Amazing. These kids hearing a shitty quality leak from the internet, because they simply couldn't wait any longer are really really missing out.
I haven't even heard the line and the band have emailed it to me lol.

Waiting on the vinyl to be in my hands and under an expensive stylus.

You only get one first listen - why the fuck you would waste it on a shitty mp3 is beyond me
Old September 13th 2017, 12:55 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I need to try to splice T-Shirt together to make it like 3 minutes haha, It's So good it needs to be like a minute an half longer
Old September 13th 2017, 02:04 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodfoo26 View Post
I need to try to splice T-Shirt together to make it like 3 minutes haha, It's So good it needs to be like a minute an half longer
hmmm.... i'm not sold on T-Shirt, it's probably my least favorite. The 1.5 mins is all it needs!
Old September 13th 2017, 03:19 AM
Team Pat

I've had a chance to listen to it twice. I do like it as one big album. It all meshes well together. I like everything but Concrete and Gold (and it may grow on me). I started to make a list of my favorites, but it's like 7 songs. Sunday Rain surprised me. Perfect for Taylor.

2000-Bloomington, IN
Poor or had little kids for 15 years
2015-Noblesville/Indy
2017-Chicago (Metro), Knoxville, Cincinnati
2018-Lexington, Memphis, Nashville, Noblesville/Indy, Wrigley x2, Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Paul
2019 Atlanta, New Orleans x2, Sonic Temple

Upcoming:
9/20/19 Louisville-Bourbon and Beyond
9/21-22/19 Pilgrimage Festival

Last edited by Disbet : September 13th 2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old September 13th 2017, 03:32 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I am through 2 times listening It's growing on me. Such a 70s vibe to it in my opinion.
Old September 13th 2017, 03:38 AM
Never knowing who to believe

Well, my copy was supposed to arrive today, but they delivered to Rd SE instead of Rd S. They were saying they delivered it, I said they didn't. I checked online and it said "declined shipment" and bureaucratic mayhem ensued.

Haha, they say it's coming tomorrow.

Anyways, I couldn't wait anymore . . . so I listened to it, blind, no liner notes or album art to distract me. I was worried that I was going to start guessing which of the few guest stars I know about was playing on what, but then the album started.

I'm not sure how to encompass that first-time experience, especially one where I've deliberately avoided as much foreknowledge as possible. I was going to take a few notes as I listened, but I ended up with a random jumble.

Lyrics first: There are OBVIOUS lyrical connections between the songs. Since it was a first listen and there's so MUCH to listen to, I felt the lyrics did their job to help convey the feeling of each section they were highlighting.

As to which specific events these shared lyrics seem to center around, I'm going to have to listen to this a LOT more. I was quite distracted by the actual music.

There is such a wide variety (a sonic playground) in which they are playing here, and each song had more than one clever turn of lyrical phrase to ft that. I enjoy arcane references to history and this delivered on that too.

Also, no over-repeated choruses!!!!

The only time it's used, it completely fits (Dirty Water).

The layered vocals were something I didn't expect, I felt some Floyd, Beatles, Eagles, Queen . . . . the classic rock album feeling is STRONG with this one.

Rami's keys? Wonderful addition. In fact, every instrument was prominent, if that makes sense.

I could feel the other band members flexing their muscles, and it's about time!!!

There was no feeling of "waiting for the part I like". I think I may like EVERYTHING.

This seems to be his post-mortem of the election, if I had to guess the primary theme of this album. Again, I have to listen to this again to see what else corresponds to recent history, but I'd bet that Arrows (for once) isn't about that old fabled bogeyman C Love, but actually about Hillary Clinton.

Other than that, it was hard for me to focus on lyrical connections, or even to think about this in technical terms. There was so much . . . . freedom in the music that it was hard for me to focus on how it's all put together. ('ll leave that to future me).

I have to say this: I found this to be astonishingly beautiful.

There were only three songs that I heard an extended section with conventional (that most bands would use) chord progressions. And for once, that worked VERY well, almost like anchors considering the harmonic playfulness of 90% of this.

I love how many chords may pass before you actually figure out which key anchors each song . . . this backward way of progressing chords basically made C & G impossible for me to dissect in the annoying way I usually would. This one will take some time for that and I am glad.

I felt like a kid again, not knowing which was a song would go or which chord would come next. I still do feel like these songs share some chordal foundations, but I was too moved to think that way.

I look down at my so-called notes and some of what I see:

wide palette!!! varied! great production! breathtaking!!! wow! how did his songwriting mature so quickly?!?! just what I needed!

And so on. Lots of exclamation point abuse.

I'll put it this way, there's really not a song on here I can say I've "heard before". Even Run, (which has a sizable percent of the song based on two notes) still has a LOT to interest me months after first hearing it.

So yes, I was so moved by the wonderful progressions and the sounds hitting my ears that I couldn't analyze it.

The guitar feedback, the little bandmember comments in the recording studio, the wonderfully primitive production on the title track, the surprise that Taylor sings lead on a WHOLE song(!) which also has the most old school drums I've ever heard from the Foos, the absolute vindictive passion of Arrows, even the heart attack I had during T-Shirt, all of it was great!

Stupendous, honestly. Even with the sonic nods to the past, this is light years ahead of their previous material.

It's been SO long since this band made me truly FEEL something in my gut, but this did it. Unpredictable in the best way.

THIS is why I'm glad I stayed a fan.

Even if they coast from here on out, I will always have this album.

Last edited by E. Stacked Actor : September 13th 2017 at 03:42 AM.
Old September 13th 2017, 04:06 AM

One last thing, I agree with the others.

This is NOT a collection of singles, this is an old-school album with strong threads running through it.

This is meant to be listened to as an album, no fast-forwarding or skipping.

Old September 13th 2017, 04:13 AM
Head down, always movin on and on and on

Stacked, I always enjoy reading your analysis as somebody who doesn't know music theory (even though I'm starting to learn little bits). your description of the record has me so, so excited. Every time somebody comes on here and talks about how great this record is, I get a little more amped up, even more than I thought I could be.

One Tribe One Family
Old September 13th 2017, 04:26 AM

Thanks for saying that, BrendanFF.

I WILL analyze this at some point once I know it a lot better, but for now, I can sum up my first listen this way: C&G made me feel the same way I did when bought the self-titled on a whim (back in 1995) and popped it in my CD player for the first time.

Old September 13th 2017, 08:57 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiemensland View Post
Anyone ordered the special limited vinyl edition? If so, please share whenever your order is shipped.
I really hope they will ship it very soon, it says that shipping to The Netherlands will 5 to 10 business days..

http://www.merchbar(dot)com/rock-alt...and-gold-vinyl
Not shipped yet, my order says it will ship on or around the 15th, so it'll be a couple of days yet before it's dispatched.

Old September 13th 2017, 09:58 AM
Good Grief

I received shipping notification from the Foo Store last night for the standard Vinyl bundle. Shipped UPS 3-Day and is scheduled to arrive Friday the 15th.

No word from Merchbar about the LE Black on Black vinyl yet
Old September 13th 2017, 12:28 PM
Have you found your way around

Great review E. Stacked Actor! Thanks for sharing that with us. The chord progression analyzing interests me especially, since I do that sort of thing too to some extent. I know that Run's had a bit of a resemblance to the main riff in Outside, but besides that, I hadn't done too much of it yet.

Two more days for this guy.
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Old September 13th 2017, 01:50 PM
Rock n' Grohl

Apologies if this info was already shared, but did the Foos record the album to multi-track tape or digital?

Last edited by Rich_TCB : September 13th 2017 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old September 13th 2017, 02:15 PM
keep on Grohling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
Not shipped yet, my order says it will ship on or around the 15th, so it'll be a couple of days yet before it's dispatched.
Same here, the order status is still "ordered"
03 july 2017 Accord hotel Arena; Paris

instagram: https://instagram.com/Vinycode70/
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/user/Nicode70
Old September 13th 2017, 02:23 PM
There's something out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_TCB View Post
Apologies if this info was already shared, but did the Foos record the album to multi-track tape or digital?
Seems like it's digital (as was Saint Cecilia, I think). Which is kind of funny after Dave's rhetoric the last few records.