Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 27th 2018, 05:01 PM
Team Pat

Default Re: Set List

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsotime2 View Post
No, I'm not where's he playing? I've never complained about a show. It's painful for me to do it! I am not sure I've ever heard For all the Cows at a show, have they played it lately? Didn't they play Aurora at Noblesville last time? They opened with that at the Metro last time it was a great start.
He's somewhere tonight, but he's at the Chop Shop tomorrow. I know some people who bought tickets and are selling them on the FB groups. I'm going tomorrow.

I haven't heard it live, but it's my favorite Foo song. I think they played it at Wrigley last time. Yes, they played Aurora both places. I was at both too :-) Love that song live.

2000-Bloomington, IN
Poor or had little kids for 15 years
2015-Noblesville/Indy
2017-Chicago (Metro), Knoxville, Cincinnati
2018-Lexington, Memphis, Nashville, Noblesville/Indy, Wrigley x2, Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Paul
2019 Atlanta, New Orleans x2, Sonic Temple

Upcoming:
9/20/19 Louisville-Bourbon and Beyond
9/21-22/19 Pilgrimage Festival
Old July 27th 2018, 05:04 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler00Hex View Post
Interesting! I may have come off as complaining on this post. But man did I sure learn that set lists on paper ain't shit compared to watching the show. I haven't even reviewed the set list from Indy but in my head it was really vanilla and shorter than some of their other shows. HOWEVER, holy shit that a fucking awesome show! Damn near three hours on my feet. Dave was very entertaining as usual. I have no idea how Taylor's arms don't fall off. I enjoy the mis-mash band intro song as well as Under Pressure. I could do without Shifty's cover song and have another from C&G in it's place. They did do 4 from C&G as is the norm. They throw in a 5th from time to time.

The light show is awesome as I realized it was going to be from the youtube videos on this tour. I haven't been to all that many concerts in my life but this was hands down the best I've been to. I had pretty good seats in the pavilion, center section. I know that matters a lot for the experience. I mean if I was in the pit I would have probably died and gone to heaven. My wife was set to go and wasn't feeling well so I took my 11 year old son. He had a great time. And as Disbet said in this thread they sure did put more love into some of those songs.

Now I want to see them again - soon!
Sounds like maybe we were near each other, we were in secF J 4A?

Agreed, very vanilla. Probably the most vanilla Ive ever heard. I've seen so many, and seeing them drag out each song is driving me nuts. Don't add Ted Nugent to AML!

I've also been to 3 Metro shows, Cubby Bear and Filmore in NYC. All shows under 1K people. Filmore was my first ever. Those are the kind of shows they are having fun, not just going through the motions to get to the next stop.

I was counting the songs from the Metro in 2011, they played the entire album + 15 songs on top of it. At the Metro last year, they played til almost 3am. They rocked it and were having fun. So obviously these aren't normal shows. I consider myself very lucky and spoiled when it comes to Foo.

I understand vanilla, including our friends who we went with, they don't know anything else. I think the majority know the hits, that's it and they are giving them what they want but it's not what Foos want so bored.

In Champagne we noticed it too. Though we love that AC/DC cover I dn't think Dave can sing it right now. But they did so many covers in either
Champagne or Wisconsin, I thought what in the hell, they're bored.
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2012
Milwaukee, WI Wasting Light Tour 2012
Cubby Bear, Sonic Highways Chicago, 2014
Indianapolis, Sonic Highways IN 2015
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2017
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old July 27th 2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I've been obsessively tracking the set list the whole tour. I'm going to see them tomorrow (Indy) and really can't complain about anything. OK, small complaint - I've been waiting since October because of their show postponement in Lexington. I will gladly pay the $118 per ticket to see my favorite band and no matter what they decide to play I know I'll love it.

However, I am bummed about a few things in their current set list. Most important thing is number of songs. They were doing 25-27 songs between 10/15 in Greensboro, NC to 11/8 in Champaign, IL aside from only 13 in New Orleans because of the type of concert. Currently they are only averaging around 21-22 songs since June. Granted they are probably pretty worn and Dave's voice can't be 100%. They've done SEVENTY THREE shows since 10/7/17 Cal Jam. It's interesting though. Went his voice was starting to go in Nov, they were on the small city /state leg and started doing about 23-24 songs at which time they introduced Under My Wheels into the set list (obviously another measure to save Dave's voice).

The songs they've cut out are great ones that I really want to hear (Something from Nothing, Let it Die, Enough Space, White Limo, Arlandria and Make it Right). I wish there was more from C&G. Currently they only do 4 songs every show with a 5th or 6th sprinkled in. Usually La Dee Da and Arrows or the Line once or twice. I'd love to hear all 3 of those.

I've come to accept that they increased the number of cover songs. I think they've recently reduced them just a little.

One last thing is that I was REALLY looking forward to the intro / curtain drop with Run! They've done away with that after about 50 shows in a row with a handful of exceptions. They've opened with All My Life (can't complain) the last 15 (no curtain I don't think). I'm guessing a reason is because the effect of that is better in doors in the dark and they've been doing mostly outdoor shows now where it may not be quite dark yet when going on.

At any rate, I can't wait!!!
I think you are absolutely right about the songs he can't sing and cutting them out. I'd rather hear something where he doesn't have to scream than another cover. I'd rather hear Shifty sing Arlandria than a cover. LOL but it's true
!!
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old July 27th 2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbet View Post
He's somewhere tonight, but he's at the Chop Shop tomorrow. I know some people who bought tickets and are selling them on the FB groups. I'm going tomorrow.

I haven't heard it live, but it's my favorite Foo song. I think they played it at Wrigley last time. Yes, they played Aurora both places. I was at both too :-) Love that song live.
I really love Aurora. It's SO good live. I just checked my shows and I've never seen Cows live. Made me want to look at all the setlists I forgot I saw Hey Johnny Park once. That was great.

First song I loved was Stacked Actors, i really miss that.

That sounds cool! Love to hear how he is on his own. I like his voice.
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old July 27th 2018, 05:36 PM
Button up, don't make a sound

Quote:
I really love Aurora. It's SO good live. I just checked my shows and I've never seen Cows live. Made me want to look at all the setlists I forgot I saw Hey Johnny Park once. That was great.

First song I loved was Stacked Actors, i really miss that.

That sounds cool! Love to hear how he is on his own. I like his voice.
That's the thing - I think you, I and Disbet along with a bunch of others would love to hear songs like Aurora, February Stars, For All The Cows, Stacked Actors, Disenchanted Lullaby, Hey Johnny Park, Marigold, etc, over an Alice Cooper cover, etc. I guess they'd have to play for 4 hours to get all of the songs the diehards and casual fans want to hear collectively. I can't imagine what it was like to see them last year at the Metro. That had to be unreal. How did you guys know about it? Was it a last minute announcement or secret kind of gig? I've got to see one of those one day. I still appreciate being able to see them on the Skin and Bones tour in Chicago in the theatre. That was sweet. It was really cool too when they came out for the encore, Dave came out alone to start and talked for about 5-10 minutes about Nirvana, Cobain, etc. I had good seats for that too.

I was in sec F, row M last night.
7/26/2018 - Ruoff Music Center - Noblesville, IN (Indy)
Old July 27th 2018, 05:53 PM
Team Pat

Quote:
That's the thing - I think you, I and Disbet along with a bunch of others would love to hear songs like Aurora, February Stars, For All The Cows, Stacked Actors, Disenchanted Lullaby, Hey Johnny Park, Marigold, etc, over an Alice Cooper cover, etc. I guess they'd have to play for 4 hours to get all of the songs the diehards and casual fans want to hear collectively. I can't imagine what it was like to see them last year at the Metro. That had to be unreal. How did you guys know about it? Was it a last minute announcement or secret kind of gig? I've got to see one of those one day. I still appreciate being able to see them on the Skin and Bones tour in Chicago in the theatre. That was sweet. It was really cool too when they came out for the encore, Dave came out alone to start and talked for about 5-10 minutes about Nirvana, Cobain, etc. I had good seats for that too.

I miss Stacked Actors. But, I do like to hear Shifty sing too.

I was on my lunch break and saw the post about Metro tickets. I think we had an hr to get ready once they posted, so I used my lunch break and got on my phone, work computer and personal computer. By far my favorite Foo show. I would pay scalper price to see them there again. Never expected to be up front, but got there a few hours before doors and was on the rail. That was our 15th anniversary weekend, and we had a trip planned. Cancelled it for Foo instead. GA is my husband's idea of hell though. He left the rail and stood in the back, cause he couldn't deal with all the people.

2000-Bloomington, IN
2015-Noblesville/Indy
2018-Lexington, Memphis, Nashville, Noblesville/Indy, Wrigley x2, Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Paul

Upcoming:
Old July 27th 2018, 08:07 PM
Button up, don't make a sound

That's awesome that you got center rail last night! Yeah the pit is a different animal. So squished is the way to put it. That's not for everyone to pay the price of no personal space to be so close. I posted some videos from my upper pavilion center section seat. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY2...jtonsv4OnE_Ruw

Enjoy Wrigley!
7/26/2018 - Ruoff Music Center - Noblesville, IN (Indy)
Old July 27th 2018, 08:12 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I fully agree with the setlists on this tour .. and im going to be honest... the shows of late have been severely lacking.

I went to Cincy last October - very impressive, 26 or 27 songs...

Lex in May... 22 songs maybe? less impressive, still fun

Pittsbugh last week... they went on later than normal (845 as opposed to 815 in other cities) and they had to cut 2 songs due to curfew. so they were already shortening up their sets from last fall and we got screwed out of 2 songs due to Dave's tired banter and extended meandering guitar solos)... one being This Is A Call - the ONLY song we were guaranteed to get from the debut. no idea what the audible would've been -- no La Dee Da, no Arrows, no Tie Your Mother Down, no Big Me, etc...

friend offered me a FREE ticket in Cleveland (day before) and I turned it down. Im done with this tour. The Foos sound like they are. Hope by the time the next album cycle comes around they will be refreshed and the songs they pick will be better. They want to play 3 hours? Fine,... PLAY some more songs and stop dicking around.
Old July 27th 2018, 08:25 PM
Team Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2cd View Post
I fully agree with the setlists on this tour .. and im going to be honest... the shows of late have been severely lacking.

I went to Cincy last October - very impressive, 26 or 27 songs...

Lex in May... 22 songs maybe? less impressive, still fun

Pittsbugh last week... they went on later than normal (845 as opposed to 815 in other cities) and they had to cut 2 songs due to curfew. so they were already shortening up their sets from last fall and we got screwed out of 2 songs due to Dave's tired banter and extended meandering guitar solos)... one being This Is A Call - the ONLY song we were guaranteed to get from the debut. no idea what the audible would've been -- no La Dee Da, no Arrows, no Tie Your Mother Down, no Big Me, etc...

friend offered me a FREE ticket in Cleveland (day before) and I turned it down. Im done with this tour. The Foos sound like they are. Hope by the time the next album cycle comes around they will be refreshed and the songs they pick will be better. They want to play 3 hours? Fine,... PLAY some more songs and stop dicking around.
I was at both Cincy and Lexington too, and they were better. But, it's still the Foos, and the concert energy is there. I had a blast last night, even though I've heard every song before in concert. I'm debating going to 3 more shows this fall, just because it's still fun for most of the crowd. That said, they seem ready for their Ihateus.

2000-Bloomington, IN
2015-Noblesville/Indy

Upcoming:
Old July 27th 2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
It's funny how different our opinions are. Granted you've seen them way more than me and in a variety of settings. I could see how they could be a little bored by the monotony of simply all the routine things that naturally come with touring and playing some of these songs hundreds of times now in front of thousands of fans. I also feel they could be a little run down. It has to be very grueling to travel and play shows that much.

Also, I thought they sounded really good. I mean Dave's voice is what it is. But when the Struts came on, they were actually too loud. FF's weren't quite as loud to me. I think it was more controlled. I was impressed with the sound. I saw them in the Pacers NBA arena in 2008 and it didn't sound so good. Hope you enjoy them at Wrigley!
I totally agree with you. It HAS to be grueling, 72 shows? They can't all be the most amazing show I've ever been to. I love them so much but something did seem off. They could be VERY run down. All of that can't make them feel good at all. They probably aren't sure what city they are in.
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old July 27th 2018, 08:34 PM
Visiting is pretty...

yeah and Dave's voice is strained. I recorded all 3 shows I attended (Ive shared them on Dime).. and listening back to Pittsburgh (Ive yet to share it)... he doesn't sound the same as he did last year.

I love these guys as much as you guys and I don't mean to be so critical, but I have very high expectations after seeing them for so many years.
Old July 27th 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Wow that sounds so cool! I didn't see anything from that tour.

I've seen them 3 times at the Metro. I think it starts as a rumor. Someone hears it, then they announce last minute and if you blink you can miss it. This last one, I had to get tix on the secondary market cause I blinked and missed it. One of the best ones yet. Played til almost 3 am. It was a LONG night as he loves to say and I heard the BEST version of Sky is a Neighborhood and Dirty Water. No backup singers really raw and GOOD.
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old July 27th 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2cd View Post
yeah and Dave's voice is strained. I recorded all 3 shows I attended (Ive shared them on Dime).. and listening back to Pittsburgh (Ive yet to share it)... he doesn't sound the same as he did last year.

I love these guys as much as you guys and I don't mean to be so critical, but I have very high expectations after seeing them for so many years.
Agreed, when you see them at their very best, it's hard to expect anything less. No one can be on all the time but I've never seen them off. Really on, to medium on.

Still always have a good time. I'm just going to assume it's the first off night I've seen, long tour, has to be really hard on you. I can't even imagine.

If you haven't seen them before this or last tour, then you will have seen the more vanilla shows. Before that, they were enjoying it more. Dave was less in the spotlight and you could just feel the difference in how much fun they were having. They played what they wanted and it rubbed off on the audience.
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old July 28th 2018, 11:15 PM
Looking for a dime, but found a quarter

Quote:
I think you are absolutely right about the songs he can't sing and cutting them out. I'd rather hear something where he doesn't have to scream than another cover. I'd rather hear Shifty sing Arlandria than a cover. LOL but it's true
!!
Yes. I try to look at it as if they are having a good time playing songs they like and want to perhaps introduce people to, but play YOUR songs. We love Foo Fighters music. Play 7-9 songs off your new albums every tour. Mix in 3-4 deep cuts each night and play a dozen of your huge hits with 1 fun cover, or a medley of them, mixed in. Or, let Shifty and Taylor sing their songs instead of covers. I'd love to hear "Still Better Days" with this band!
Utilize those great backing vocalists.

~July 12, 2003 (St. Paul)
~October 2, 2005 (St. Paul)
~February 27, 2008 (Minneapolis)
~September 14, 2011 (St. Paul)
~August 22, 2015 (St. Paul)
~October 18, 2018 (St. Paul)
Old July 28th 2018, 11:27 PM
Looking for a dime, but found a quarter

Also, the ultimate would have been those pre-Wasting Light club shows in SoCal. I'd give both nuts to have experienced one of those.

~July 12, 2003 (St. Paul)
~October 2, 2005 (St. Paul)
~February 27, 2008 (Minneapolis)
~September 14, 2011 (St. Paul)
~August 22, 2015 (St. Paul)
~October 18, 2018 (St. Paul)
Old July 29th 2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disbet View Post
I miss Stacked Actors. But, I do like to hear Shifty sing too.

I was on my lunch break and saw the post about Metro tickets. I think we had an hr to get ready once they posted, so I used my lunch break and got on my phone, work computer and personal computer. By far my favorite Foo show. I would pay scalper price to see them there again. Never expected to be up front, but got there a few hours before doors and was on the rail. That was our 15th anniversary weekend, and we had a trip planned. Cancelled it for Foo instead. GA is my husband's idea of hell though. He left the rail and stood in the back, cause he couldn't deal with all the people.
Well next time he can stand with my husband! I also head for Chris's side and I'm never on the rail but it's close enough. Jim just periodically checks on my position and goes back to watching from the back. Yes, I will pay scalper prices all day long. The kid we bought them from felt guilty about the price. I told him, you are a smart kid and just paid for Lollapalooza and we had a drink with him and his buddy first. I told him, you make this happen again and I didn't, I'm your first call. That was one of the best if not the best. Ahhh memories. Tonight, I am hoping for a good one
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old July 30th 2018, 01:55 AM
Times Like These

I get tired of the "we are going to sing songs off of every albums!" and then they proceed to ignore Sonic Highways and St Cecilia.

I don't get the whole jam thing where Dave plays his guitar like it's talking...he did that in Lexington and in Indy and everywhere in between I'm sure. I love guitar playing, but I would rather see Eddie Van Halen playing guitar than Dave, sorry. Dave's good, but I like his songs much better.

And drum solos...while Taylor is good, it's like stepping back in time. I'm wondering if on the next tour Nate gets a bass solo?

Their energy was good and we got into it, just wish they actually played more songs.
05/01/2018 Rupp Arena, Lexington KY
07/26/2018 Noblesville Indiana

09/20/2019- Bourbon & Beyond Louisville KY
Old July 30th 2018, 06:09 AM
Colors inside the lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnrougeux View Post
I get tired of the "we are going to sing songs off of every albums!" and then they proceed to ignore Sonic Highways and St Cecilia.

I don't get the whole jam thing where Dave plays his guitar like it's talking...he did that in Lexington and in Indy and everywhere in between I'm sure. I love guitar playing, but I would rather see Eddie Van Halen playing guitar than Dave, sorry. Dave's good, but I like his songs much better.

And drum solos...while Taylor is good, it's like stepping back in time. I'm wondering if on the next tour Nate gets a bass solo?

Their energy was good and we got into it, just wish they actually played more songs.
Night 1 at Wrigley was more of the same. I’ve loved this band for years but lately feel meh about the shows. I have a GA ticket for night 2 and am considering not going. I did have fun at Shifty’s 2 acoustic shows though.

As someone already mentioned, I’ve also been spoiled by the smaller shows- 9:30 Club, the Sonic Highways show in NOLA, the crowd funded show in Richmond a few years ago and the Anthem shows last Fall. The stadium shows are too predictable for me.

*wears a helmet at all times*
Old July 30th 2018, 07:53 AM
Polite as fuck

I would one person mosh for The Neverending Sigh... While singing and pouring beers. That would be a white moshing ass whale. Who moshes...
Old July 30th 2018, 09:07 AM
Team Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingo05 View Post
Night 1 at Wrigley was more of the same. I’ve loved this band for years but lately feel meh about the shows. I have a GA ticket for night 2 and am considering not going. I did have fun at Shifty’s 2 acoustic shows though.

As someone already mentioned, I’ve also been spoiled by the smaller shows- 9:30 Club, the Sonic Highways show in NOLA, the crowd funded show in Richmond a few years ago and the Anthem shows last Fall. The stadium shows are too predictable for me.
I thought last night's show was awesome. It eased the most energetic that I'd seen them since Cincinnati. Can't wait for tonight

2000-Bloomington, IN
2015-Noblesville/Indy

Upcoming: