Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 30th 2011, 09:20 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: "Dear Rosemary" NOT so original

There are a finite amount of chord progressions that are pleasing to the human ear. Some people need music theory to learn it, while others natively possess the ability to discern what is "musical". (theory being devoid of passion, style, and, to some extent, dynamic, with which the music is performed). Thus, there is nothing new under the sun.

I doubt any similarity was intentional.
Old May 1st 2011, 07:52 AM
I'll Stick Around

They have a similar rhythm...and the syncopation lines up...same key....
I imagine the op heard this mashup. I rather like it

http://youtu.be/KCgzVCD2Pg4
Old May 24th 2011, 06:58 PM
Visiting is pretty...

"steady as she goes" sounds for me like the song "California dreaming"
Old August 23rd 2011, 12:05 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgeneration View Post
Dear Rosemary is a stand out song for me, but I after reading a review of the new record, it referenced how similar this song was to The Ranconteur's "Steady As She Goes"

I couldn't believe it until I heard it myself, "Dear Rosemary" DOES sound remarkably like "Steady As She Goes". Any comments?
OP, I registered with this site today - purely to back you up. The very first thing I did when I heard this song, listening to the album over Spotify, was to Google the two song names together and here I am. First search result too, incidentally.

Regardless of whether the other posters are Foo fans with fingers in their ears and refuse to hear it, or if they just don't, I 100% agree that the songs are very similar and I can only hear Steady As She Goes when I've listened to it both two or three times. Both the intro and the chords used in the verses remind me heavily of it.

This is NOT to say that the Foos ripped off Jack White et al in anyway, I entirely believe that the former are the superior band and wouldn't need or want to do so. You simply posed the question that for whatever reason they may sound the same, and I find it very hard to believe that anyone could genuinely say they don't.

Wasting Light is a great album. Cheers!
Old August 23rd 2011, 05:26 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnide View Post
Regardless of whether the other posters are Foo fans with fingers in their ears and refuse to hear it, or if they just don't, I 100% agree that the songs are very similar and I can only hear Steady As She Goes when I've listened to it both two or three times. Both the intro and the chords used in the verses remind me heavily of it.
Go listen to Joe Jackson's "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" (1978). I hear it every time I hear that Raconteurs song. It infuriated me throughout that song's run on alternative radio. Those two songs are far more similar than "Dear Rosemary" is to either.

I'd swear that everyone going nuts over the similarity to the Raconteurs song was born in/after 1985. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old August 23rd 2011, 05:31 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Thumbs up Re: "Dear Rosemary" NOT so original

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyRedHonda View Post
Go listen to Joe Jackson's "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" (1978). I hear it every time I hear that Raconteurs song. It infuriated me throughout that song's run on alternative radio. Those two songs are far more similar than "Dear Rosemary" is to either.

I'd swear that everyone going nuts over the similarity to the Raconteurs song was born in/after 1985. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
100% agree.
Old August 23rd 2011, 06:20 PM
Have you found your way around

Oh bloody 'ell,
enough already-

Raconteurs, Foos, Joe Jackson, Michael Jackson,

FFS,
when you guys get together are worse than a sewing circle
(OOPS, I think Quentin Tarantino or Uma Thurman may sue ME now?!)

anywho,
here's another-
Dave used the words New Day Rising in the song Times Like These!! (GASP)
I guess he just blew any chance of his favourite Husker Du mates, like Bob Mould, ever workin' with him.

But wait,
oh,

Nevermind! :>

(Dammit, now Dave, Krist, Pat, and even Courtney gonna sue ME?)

Old August 23rd 2011, 08:13 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Who cares? It's a great song.
9/14/11-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #1 and BEST NIGHT OF MY LIFE. THREE PICKS (one from Dave, two from Shifty!) Shifty noticed me!
8/22/15-St. Paul, MN, Xcel Energy Center. Front row show #2! Shifty noticed me again!

I <3 Shifty!

NATE IS A WIZARD!

私はデイブグロールの愛

My pictures from the 9/14 show
Old August 23rd 2011, 09:26 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Wink Re: "Dear Rosemary" NOT so original

I think this is the best album they've done, frankly. Been a fan since '95, and I honestly kind of thought that their best work was years behind them. I'm delighted that I couldn't have been more wrong. Wasting Light is their best yet.[/quote]

I couldnt agree more, i have often thought over the years that personally they could not better TCATS however Wasting Light is superb and has something that more recent albums have lacked. With that said i am such a huge fan that i love anything they do.
Old August 23rd 2011, 09:31 PM
Have you found your way around

It may sound sappy,
but Wasting Light makes me happy!

cheers and thanks for sharin' and carin' Foos

:>
Old August 24th 2011, 12:22 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Y'all are retarded.

Dear Rosemary is the best song on the album and I hated "Steady as she Goes" so there you go.

Dave Grohl's right foot has more talent then Jack White. (Sorry Jamie xoxo)

I know that's not a real argument but I thought it sounded better than, "nanny nanny boo boo" in my response to the idiotic first post.
Why do my two favorite frontmen have to be pit against each other?

On the subject, at least, even if Dave happened to get some inspiration from the Raconteurs, it's not like Oasis/Beady Eye/the Gallaghers in general ripping off the Beatles, which is so blatantly obvious that I want to bring John Lennon from the dead (besides to make awesome music) so he could kick their arses.
Old August 24th 2011, 01:38 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Wait, who are these Foo Fighters?
Old August 24th 2011, 01:46 AM
aka Michael

The first time I heard Dear Rosemary I could clearly hear Nirvana - Sappy drums on the chorus. Listen,.. its there, that drum beat has been one of my favorite since the first time i heard sappy.
Old August 24th 2011, 05:36 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyRedHonda View Post

I don't hear the similarities between those two as much as you suggested as I do between the titles in discussion, but I'm not saying you're wrong either.

What I am saying is exactly what I said in my first post and nothing more - I agree with the OP in that those two sound VERY similar, and I'm bemused by anyone who's taking what I literally said, and nothing more, so personally.
Old August 24th 2011, 05:45 PM
A star burned out

Thumbs down Re: "Dear Rosemary" NOT so original

oh god.

not this again.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •