Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 30th 2011, 12:16 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: #foochangethesetlist !

play some different fucking songs. lets see if they mix it up between msg and newark. its kinda like palying the same venue two nights in a row since they are like 20 min train ride apart. only going to newark, but im sure alot of people will go to both shows. i saw them at izod in september and will see them in newark and im sure they will play the same automatic set list
electric factory,pa 11/2/2002
tweeter center,nj 4/29/2003
hammerstein,nyc 7/2/2003
hammerstein,nyc 7/3/2003
music midtown,atl 5/1/2004
continental,nj 10/14/2005
borgata,nj 8/18/2006
beacon,nyc 8/21/2006
irving plaza,nyc 9/20/2007
borgata,nj 10/13/2007
msg,nyc 2/19/08 +4 more

Last edited by njfoofan : October 30th 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old October 30th 2011, 12:27 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mime View Post
I was clearly talking about yelling on the songs that don't need it. I don't remember the studio version of Generator having a "WALRIGHT" or "SING IT".

We thank them by paying 50 bucks or whatever and buying all their shit. It's not like they're playing for free.

Some of us have seen them multiple times and will see them every time they come to play near us. Can't blame us for wanting a setlist that's not incredibly mediocre.

That's what it's all about.
That's how he chooses to sing it.

You don't have to buy anything.

You don't like the concerts? Don't go, but the setlist is nowhere near mediocre.

Btw, your point on singing was not necessarily "clear".
Old October 30th 2011, 01:49 PM
Have you found your way around

I've seen them a lot this year, and I enjoyed the US shows more than the European ones, as more songs from the new album were played. I love going to their concerts, and they're one of the best live acts around, otherwise I wouldn't keep on coming back all the time.

That being said, a little variety couldn't hurt. It would make the whole deal much more exciting to know you might be in for a surprise, and they have a lot of great songs that just don't get the attention they deserve.
Old October 30th 2011, 03:06 PM
The Boss

Quote:
No, they definitely could. We're not asking for a setlist consisting of only b-sides and rarities. It wouldn't hurt to play My Poor Brain instead of Learn to Fly, or Gimme Stitches instead of Breakout. Especially when they're playing such a long set.
I disagree. After seeing this issue over and over in the almost 12 years I have been on this board, you all will never be happy.

If I wrote up my "perfect" set list that I want to hear as a diehard fan and you wrote yours, I can guarantee you I would be unhappy with it.

But continue to argue the point. You guys won't listen either.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old October 30th 2011, 03:09 PM
The Boss

Quote:
I was clearly talking about yelling on the songs that don't need it. I don't remember the studio version of Generator having a "WALRIGHT" or "SING IT".

We thank them by paying 50 bucks or whatever and buying all their shit. It's not like they're playing for free.

Some of us have seen them multiple times and will see them every time they come to play near us. Can't blame us for wanting a setlist that's not incredibly mediocre.

That's what it's all about.
Omg, don't buy a ticket if a few "Wallrights" and "Sing its" get your panties in a bunch.

For fuck sake....If it is that horrible, no one is making you go.

Old October 30th 2011, 04:43 PM

They can play what the hell they like as far as I'm concerned.People that go to see them many times on a tour are well aware that the set list is going to be the same,I'm sure they're not bothered.

I saw them on two consecutive nights in July and they made both nights very different.
FF~ Milton Keynes Bowl ~ 03.07.11
FF~ Reading Festival ~ 26.08.12
SCP ~ The Forum-Kentish Town ~19.02.13
FF~ Old Trafford Cricket Ground ~ 27.05.15
FF ~ Milton Keynes Bowl ~ 05.09.15
FF~ Cheese and Grain ~ 24.02.17
FF ~ London Stadium ~ 23.06.18
Shifty ~ The Fleece ~ 02.04.19

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!.../102594985219/You Know You're a Foo Fighters Fan When...FB Group
Old October 30th 2011, 06:56 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
I disagree. After seeing this issue over and over in the almost 12 years I have been on this board, you all will never be happy.

If I wrote up my "perfect" set list that I want to hear as a diehard fan and you wrote yours, I can guarantee you I would be unhappy with it.

But continue to argue the point. You guys won't listen either.

The issue isnt that. As a moderator you should have understood the idea. But apparently you didnt understand.

Nobody wants this or that specific song. We want the band to be more dynamic. Play the music , mixing the new album and old songs (not just singles!)
Old October 30th 2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deivefake View Post
The issue isnt that. As a moderator you should have understood the idea. But apparently you didnt understand.

Nobody wants this or that specific song. We want the band to be more dynamic. Play the music , mixing the new album and old songs (not just singles!)
Nah, she has a point... If they played My Poor Brain, there'd be someone else screaming for Exhausted and vice-versa. The band can't please everyone so why not do all the hits and a few new songs to cater to a larger audience and be a really great live band that has their set already decided and can play it really tight?

The only beef I have with the setlist is Learn To Fly.
Old October 30th 2011, 07:51 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
He can sing whatever the hell he wants. why do you think he chews so much gum during every show? so his voice doesn't go out from all the screaming.
Or he could sing Ain't it the Life or Exhausted or something.
Old October 30th 2011, 08:19 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footard View Post
Nah, she has a point... If they played My Poor Brain, there'd be someone else screaming for Exhausted and vice-versa. The band can't please everyone so why not do all the hits and a few new songs to cater to a larger audience and be a really great live band that has their set already decided and can play it really tight?
I'm mostly in agreement with this but I have to admit that you think they would want to change it up a bit more - for their sake if no one else's. Dave does an amazing job of making each show seem like its the first of the new tour (I think one reviewer said "they do each song like its an encore" - love that) but it seems like it would get old to them.

Me? I'm just glad to be in the room.

I feel good about the good things; I feel bad about the bad things. I wouldn't changes thing.
Old October 30th 2011, 08:34 PM
A star burned out

Quote:

The only beef I have with the setlist is Learn To Fly.
that's what I think too.

they already did the 606 thing more than once with a different set from the big gigs of the tour and I wouldn't be surprised if they did it again.

I certainly wouldn't mind switching some of the songs for others but still keeping a repeated setlist for most of the tour, I understand them going for some kind of safety. every band has their die hard fan base, but they're never the majority, they're not the ones buying enough tickets to keep a successful tour. so I'm just grateful that they do tour succesfully enough to keep touring and making it possible for me and most people to see them. I like surprises, but I also like to know what's coming up. also, if they keep changing the songs all the time, it would make A LOT of people quite miserable. imagine you know they played your all time favorite song that wasn't played for the last 10 or so years, and then you get to see them just a few days later and it's not played. it's a tricky thing to do and would make a lot of people mad and if it's to have people mad, let it be the minority.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old October 30th 2011, 09:06 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Cold Day in the Sun and Long Road To Ruin weren't huge hits either and I doubt people would call them essential staples of the set.
Essential is debatable, but I wouldn't call Long Road to Ruin a minor hit if it made #1 on the Modern Rock charts in the U.S. Might be different in other parts of the world though?
Old October 30th 2011, 09:27 PM
I'll Stick Around

this thread was fucking annoying 4 months ago when it happened the first time on this tour.... this, the 10th time, is ridiculous. none of you arguing that they should play more varied sets, are making valid arguments, and to the guy who started this thread, youre starting to sound like youre talking down to fucking JILL who busts her ass to make sure you have a board to come cry on. shut up, you are disrespectful. the end of the argument ALWAYS is... FF is HUGE, there are about 20 songs that they MUST play.... plus promote a new album. END. OF. THREAD.
Aug 18 2006 - Atlantic City NJ
April 29 2003 - Camden NJ
July 14 2000 - Holmdel NJ
May 15 1998 - Wayne NJ
May 7 1998 - New York NY
Old October 30th 2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzWords View Post
this thread was fucking annoying 4 months ago when it happened the first time on this tour.... this, the 10th time, is ridiculous. none of you arguing that they should play more varied sets, are making valid arguments, and to the guy who started this thread, youre starting to sound like youre talking down to fucking JILL who busts her ass to make sure you have a board to come cry on. shut up, you are disrespectful. the end of the argument ALWAYS is... FF is HUGE, there are about 20 songs that they MUST play.... plus promote a new album. END. OF. THREAD.
Jeez, dude, mostly everyone was being pretty respectful toward each other and having legitimate discussion. Take it easy.
Old October 30th 2011, 09:31 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Jeez, dude, mostly everyone was being pretty respectful toward each other and having legitimate discussion. Take it easy.

no, im sorry, telling Jill she "doesnt understand" when she does, she just doesnt wanna deal with this thread for the millionth time, is not being respectful...
May 15 1998 - Wayne NJ
May 7 1998 - New York NY
Old October 30th 2011, 09:34 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deivefake View Post

see? this is disrespectful language to a moderator in my opinion... on a thread that has been dug up from its grave over and over again. bullshit.
May 15 1998 - Wayne NJ
May 7 1998 - New York NY
Old October 30th 2011, 09:41 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Okay, then how about a compromise: The band will play How I Miss You, but during the quiet parts Dave still gets to scream, "WUUUAAAAAALRIIIIIIIIGHT!" over and over.
Old October 30th 2011, 09:46 PM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post

I agree entirely.

But the counter point is always going to be the fact that neither of us is likely to get anything close to said "dream setlist", especially if it includes more than one song from the s/t album!

I've still never seen a strong argument against doing, say, a 20 song setlist, with roughly 10 greatest hits, 5 of the new songs and 5 other songs that you mess about with each night. Many/most other bands do that.
Old October 30th 2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzWords View Post
no, im sorry, telling Jill she "doesnt understand" when she does, she just doesnt wanna deal with this thread for the millionth time, is not being respectful...
I did say mostly everyone. I agree that the guy was out of line.
Old October 30th 2011, 10:39 PM
The Boss

A SHOW requires certain elements. Some of that will be to play the same thing because of lighting, video and sound requirements. A show that big does require some preparation.

They aren’t just up on a stage like they used to be.

As for someone being disrespectful, I get what he is saying, I just don’t agree. By the way, moderators job is not to “get” what every poster means because some of you are way the fuck out there. A moderator’s job is to make sure that everyone plays nice and doesn’t do bad shit on the board.

By the way, I am an administrator which means I run the board, along with Tim. We really don’t have any moderators.

Last edited by Jill : October 30th 2011 at 10:48 PM.