Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 29th 2015, 04:14 AM
A star burned out

Default Re: "Foo Fighters - Learning To Fly" by Mick Wall

harsh criticism is more than welcome when at the right venues for that, not in a book that's supposed to tell their fucking story which is a project that's supposed to be impartial. have things to say? go write an article instead of pocketing the money and doing a half assed work because you're not into the subject, that's just amateur.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old November 29th 2015, 08:29 AM
FooArchive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exausted_Guy1031 View Post
Love it or hate it, this book actually seems like it could be an objective look at the band "from space"...
Yeah, could be - but it isn't. He was asked to write a book (about a band he admits he didn't know anything about) and he decided quite quickly what way he was going cast it. This is an author who writes books on Ozzy, Guns 'n' Roses, AC/DC and to be perfectly frank compared to 1980s metal bands Foo Fighters history is fucking boring so it's no wonder falling outs & rocky relationships have been embellished for dramatic effect.

I dunno, do we really need a book where the index includes an entry for: Pat Smear, sexuality.

Aside from one man's opinions and theories (Pat's decision to leave in 97 was partly because he knew Guns N Roses were looking for a new guitarist?) There is nothing in the book that you wouldn't learn from watching Back And Forth and spending a couple of hours on my website.

"FooArchive? It's a wealth of information." - Dave Grohl
Old November 29th 2015, 08:36 AM
How Do You Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
Pat's decision to leave in 97 was partly because he knew Guns N Roses were looking for a new guitarist.
This is news to me. Any more information available on this Paul? I've always just believed he hated touring internationally and/or didn't like flying.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old November 29th 2015, 08:41 AM
I don't have a cofee problem.

Shame because Mick Wall isn't a bad author and he's also good mates with Ross Halfin.

I was gonna get this but will now swerve.
Old November 29th 2015, 08:52 AM
FooArchive

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
This is news to me. Any more information available on this Paul? I've always just believed he hated touring internationally and/or didn't like flying.
The dislike of touring was the official line back in 1997 and it was repeated again in Back & Forth, other biographies suggested his friendship with Dave's ex-wife played a part in his decision. But now according to this book (with no actual facts or quotes) he left because both RHCP & GNR had vacant guitarist positions.

Old November 29th 2015, 08:56 AM
FooArchive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
also good mates with Ross Halfin.
Yeah & thats one thing I found really interesting - Ross isn't mentioned once in the book despite his 20 year working relationship with the band. Make of that what you will.

Old November 29th 2015, 05:12 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
I smell bullshit (on the G&R thing).
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old November 29th 2015, 05:59 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
Aside from one man's opinions and theories (Pat's decision to leave in 97 was partly because he knew Guns N Roses were looking for a new guitarist?)
lol
Quote:
There is nothing in the book that you wouldn't learn from watching Back And Forth and spending a couple of hours on my website.
A couple hours?! I've been digging through that site for the better part of a decade.
Old December 4th 2015, 06:51 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Hey everyone,

I've been reading this forum since about 2011. I've been a Foo Fighters fan since I started playing guitar in 2005, and have been to (only) two shows (Cleveland in 2008 and DC/July 4 this year), as I can only go when money allows.

Nonetheless, I am a huge fan of the band and just read Mick Wall's new book. I'd say be careful about judging it before you read it. Mick Wall is forever the iconoclast and this book screams his work. Overall, I give it 2.5/5 stars. My review is below.

1) The first thing worth mentioning is that this book still leaves me frustrated regarding the early music history of Dave and the Foo Fighters. I've read Paul Brannigan's work, Michael Heatley's bio, and Jeff Apter's book. Here, Mick Wall follows the trend. Very little information is given about Dave's early musical upbringings, and even less about the rest of the band.
2) The description of this book as the "first serious biography of the band" is incorrect for numerous reasons. First, as Wall has noted, he only cares about Dave Grohl. Second, one-third of the book is focused on Kurt Cobain and Franz Stahl. The stuff about the Stahl brothers was interesting -- as I had never read it before -- but the information regarding Kurt was frankly a waste of space.
3) Once the book gets to informing the reader regarding Foo Fighters post-NLTL it is overly-brief. I would really like to see a year-to-year analysis of the Foo Fighters not dissimilar to Pearl Jam's "Twenty" autobiography.
4) The book does have some positives. It does an excellent job of detailing Dave's life during various hiatuses. I never knew how frequently Dave would record various songs, especially during the Nirvana years.
5) The last chapter of the book, which covers from Sound City to Sonic Highways, was absolutely fantastic. Due to the recency, nobody outside of Brannigan has dealt with it effectively. Not much new information in the chapter, but the author's affection for Dave, which was previously vague, shines through. It was nice to see the author was not just a "hater" of the band... I wouldn't say he is a fan, but there is a bit of passion.
6) The author's thesis, while unpopular amongst true fans of the band, is not uncommon. I have dismissed the idea of "Dave is the Foo Fighters by claiming that people were just uninformed. I still hold that true; however, Wall's book does an excellent job of providing evidence as to why someone could believe it. I think, if anything, his book does a good job of detailing Dave as a creative, musical engine in all of his post-Nirvana projects. And it was interesting to see how the author framed his argument.

Anyways, there is my relatively undetailed review, I hope to post around here more frequently. I'm a huge fan of the band and could never find the most opportune time to make my first post, hence why I am doing so now.
Old January 6th 2016, 11:56 PM
I'll Stick Around

OH bought me this for Christmas. Read the sleeve notes and immediately decided this was an anti-Grohl book. Unfortunately OH cocked up and bought me a copy of Back and Forth and a Nirvana dvd which I already have that will go to eBay.

Still I didn't pay for it and one day I will read it just so I can see what it's about.
Old January 7th 2016, 08:40 AM
Ready on your mark

If I see a book claiming to be about the band, I want to read about the band, as in all members. As soon as a "biographer" starts sucking Dave's cock, i'm out. (I mean, whatever you're into, but in a literary sense, it gets very old very fast.)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com

Last edited by matineeidyll : January 7th 2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old January 8th 2016, 02:47 AM
Looking for a dime, but found a quarter

I just finished it.

I am glad I read it, but it is nothing special. In my opinion, he wrote a book that used hundreds of quotes from "Back and Forth", which seems like cheating. He is right that Dave had to make the decisions he did, but he could have done a better job in setting the stage for that early in the book.

Per usual, there is not nearly enough coverage of Chris or Nate. Can someone write that book?! I bought it thinking there would be more "dirt"/info re: Franz, but there is nothing we haven't read or heard before.

There are some odd grammatical issues as well. It's like the book got skipped by editing.

There are a couple of photos I was unfamiliar with, which I enjoy.

Only read it if you are like me and want to read it simply because it is a Foo Fighters book, but don't be upset when there is nothing new.

~July 12, 2003 (St. Paul)
~October 2, 2005 (St. Paul)
~February 27, 2008 (Minneapolis)
~September 14, 2011 (St. Paul)
~August 22, 2015 (St. Paul)
~October 18, 2018 (St. Paul)