Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 30th 2014, 10:52 PM
I'll Stick Around

Default Re: One By One Era

came here to say that Come Back is in my top 5 Foo songs and I think it's supremely underrated. Would love to see it live...
Old October 30th 2014, 11:03 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo84 View Post
came here to say that Come Back is in my top 5 Foo songs and I think it's supremely underrated. Would love to see it live...
Love this song

"Dave has a crush on Taylor" ~Howard Stern 4.11.11
Old October 30th 2014, 11:11 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

It came on my shuffle the other day and I hadn't heard it in ages. It is a really good track and was one of my favourites from the album.
Old October 30th 2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
It came on my shuffle the other day and I hadn't heard it in ages. It is a really good track and was one of my favourites from the album.
yeah it's one of those I forget about sometimes for a little while and when I hear it again i'm like OH YEAHH

"Dave has a crush on Taylor" ~Howard Stern 4.11.11
Old October 30th 2014, 11:23 PM
Ready on your mark

I mentioned elsewhere that i'm happy to see 'Wheels' retired if it means it's replaced with 'Tired Of You'. No, i'm serious.
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Old October 31st 2014, 03:15 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
I mentioned elsewhere that i'm happy to see 'Wheels' retired if it means it's replaced with 'Tired Of You'. No, i'm serious.
Are they playing Wheels now?
Old October 31st 2014, 07:59 AM
Grave Rohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
The only reason I vaguely like the song is because it reminds me of the moment in Adelaide when Chris caught me faux yawning at it and went 'why the fuck are you here, then?'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerrichards View Post
Are they playing Wheels now?
They did every night on the last tour. Dunno about recently though.
Old October 31st 2014, 10:12 AM

I got the DVD Audio of One x One, and even that can't save the awful production. It really doesn't sound much clearer than the CD.
The Alarm, Glasgow, May
Iron Maiden - Newcastle, May
Iron Maiden - Glasgow Hydro, May
Kiss - Glasgow Hydro, May
Guns 'N' Roses - London, June
Old October 31st 2014, 11:04 AM
Visiting is pretty...

One By One is my least favorite Foo album for the simple reason most of the songs are weak. Production wise it's not their best album either.

I always thought they should add more acoustic guitar on it to get better dynamics. I love the acoustic version of Disenchanted Lullaby and the best bit on Come Back is the acoustic guitar bit. I also think I prefer the acoustic version of Times Like These over the electric version (though they're both great versions). So imho One By One would benefit from having more acoustic guitar on it, more mellow parts to highlight the melodies more, then MAYBE it would be a much better record.
Old October 31st 2014, 11:19 AM

Well everyone disliked it around the time but it turned out it was a lot better than what came after in IYH and ESPG! But yeah there are some awful tracks on it, Burn Away being the worst. Ranks 5th for me.

1 FF
2 TCATS
3 TINLTL
4 WL
5 OBO
6 IYH
7 ESPG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old October 31st 2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevthedrummer View Post
Well everyone disliked it around the time but it turned out it was a lot better than what came after in IYH and ESPG!
True!

Quote:
But yeah there are some awful tracks on it, Burn Away being the worst.
Why oh why the hate on Burn Away?!
Old October 31st 2014, 11:53 AM
A star burned out

I think Burn Away would be an amazing song if it didn't have so much repetition of the title in the lyrics.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old October 31st 2014, 12:13 PM
I'll Stick Around

The breakdown in Come Back is one of the most beautiful pieces i've heard.

And neither I understand the hating on Burn Away. I think it has great melodies, especially the verses.
Old October 31st 2014, 01:07 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

The worst track is blatently Overdrive. It's really, really, really, really not good.

Old October 31st 2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustigkurre View Post
And neither I understand the hating on Burn Away. I think it has great melodies, especially the verses.
The song structure is fabulous, plus the "breathe for me from now on.." - part is one of the most beautiful things ever.

Yes the chorus repetitive but isn't that the standard nowadays.. The new songs for example - we get pretty many Feast and the Famines in the chorus.. Not to mention Best of You / EraseReplace / ComeAlive etc etc..
Old October 31st 2014, 02:23 PM
Winnebago Life

F#@K Re: One By One Era

Quote:
Well everyone disliked it around the time but it turned out it was a lot better than what came after in IYH and ESPG!
I disagree. Surprised to see so much hate for IYH and ESPG here!!! I think IYH, if you consider the acoustic album, yeah, it drags too much, but I consider it as 2 different albums. The rock album by itself, it's great! It has 4 tracks that were/are massively popular, No Way Back, Best Of You, DOA and Resolve.

And the other tracks are great! The title track, Last Song, Hell, End Over End, Free Me....

I agree that the album itself, maybe it's not that great compared to others, but it's a great listen with no skip worthy tracks (well, except The Deepest Blues...)

Same goes to ESPG!! I mean, come on! Pretender, Let It Die, Erase/Replace, Come Alive, Stranger Things, Long Road To Ruin, Cheer Up Boys, But Honestly... all amazing tracks, Come Alive being one of my all time favorites. It's a great album! Didn't know it was being considered so low compared to others here!
Old October 31st 2014, 02:31 PM
I don't have a cofee problem.

I think One By One is a better album than IYH and ESPG, the songs are more consistent, it's just the production that lets it down - it tried to be too QOTSA-ey.

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Old October 31st 2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
I think One By One is a better album than IYH and ESPG, the songs are more consistent, it's just the production that lets it down - it tried to be too QOTSA-ey.
Dunno about the QOTSA-thing, their albums have always sounded pretty good IMO -

but 100% agree otherwise, plus, OBO was the last album so far that Grohl actually sang like he used to instead of the unnecessary screaming that partially ruined IYH for me. I love a good scream in a rock song but it gets tiring when the parts that need to be sung are being screamed.

There´s been good vocals in the new songs though!
Old October 31st 2014, 03:31 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by matirocker View Post
I disagree. Surprised to see so much hate for IYH and ESPG here!!! I think IYH, if you consider the acoustic album, yeah, it drags too much, but I consider it as 2 different albums. The rock album by itself, it's great! It has 4 tracks that were/are massively popular, No Way Back, Best Of You, DOA and Resolve.

And the other tracks are great! The title track, Last Song, Hell, End Over End, Free Me....

I agree that the album itself, maybe it's not that great compared to others, but it's a great listen with no skip worthy tracks (well, except The Deepest Blues...)

Same goes to ESPG!! I mean, come on! Pretender, Let It Die, Erase/Replace, Come Alive, Stranger Things, Long Road To Ruin, Cheer Up Boys, But Honestly... all amazing tracks, Come Alive being one of my all time favorites. It's a great album! Didn't know it was being considered so low compared to others here!
opinions, man, they vary. gotta come to terms with that.

and I'm with you, I love both IYH and ESPG very very much but it doesn't bother me to see them being hated. I think most of it comes from the production, I don't have much of an ear for technical evaluations but after Wasting Light and the first few Sonic Highways tracks I can kind of notice it in comparison. a better mix would probably raise their fandom considerably, at least among the most hardcore ones.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old October 31st 2014, 03:44 PM
Winnebago Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
opinions, man, they vary. gotta come to terms with that.

and I'm with you, I love both IYH and ESPG very very much but it doesn't bother me to see them being hated. I think most of it comes from the production, I don't have much of an ear for technical evaluations but after Wasting Light and the first few Sonic Highways tracks I can kind of notice it in comparison. a better mix would probably raise their fandom considerably, at least among the most hardcore ones.
Yes, of course, I have been/am part of several forums and I'm used to it, it's just that those are 2 albums that are great in my opinion and I was shocked to find out a lot of people here don't have a good opinion about them.

I agree about production on those 2 though, IYH while it does not sound bad at all, has a very raw and unpolished feel to it that some people may not find appealing, and to be honest ESPG is the most compressed sounding album, and it has a rather flat sound, while, like you said, WL and SH, from what we've heard so far, sound absolutely mind blowing.

Still think OBO is the worst sounding one, to be honest. All my Life sounds awesome though, not as bad as the rest of the album.