Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 1st 2014, 05:12 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: NEW SONG - Congregation

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Stacked Actor View Post
You are right about your entitlement to being opinionated, and I can also have the opinion that you incorrect in your assessment of "Something From Nothing".

You may not like that, but opinions can be about all kinds of things.

And, for some reason, I highly doubt that when I do listen to Congregation, I'm going to be reminded of Nickelback.
In the end we obviously have different opinions on the song. I'm not trying to aggressively push that I am right for whatever reason, but I'm also not here to placate on the basis of your opinion. I can think you're wrong and you can do the same. It's all good. That's what a discussion forum is about and that's the beauty of music.

I actually wasn't suggesting that this song seems like something Nickelback would write. My point was, if Nickelback released this song, a band that is a joke compared to the Foos, they would cop that much stick for such a shitty song it's not funny. Foos are highly popular and everything they seem to touch turns to gold so this is merely another example of that.

If this song was on OBO it would have been considered horrible filler.

*23rd January 2003 -Hordern Pavilion

*25th January 2003 -Sydney Showground (Big Day Out)

*30th May 2005 -Channel V Studios.

*1st June 2005 -Metro Theatre

*2nd May 2008 - Acer Arena

*3rd May 2008 - Acer Arena

*25th March 2011 - Sydney University

*8th December 2011 - Sydney Football Stadium
Old November 1st 2014, 05:37 AM
Ready on your mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLONG_01 View Post
If this song was on OBO it would have been considered horrible filler.
It's highly unlikely that they would've had the personal insight or collective kahunas to do anything like this in the OBO era.
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com
Old November 1st 2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
It's highly unlikely that they would've had the personal insight or collective kahunas to do anything like this in the OBO era.
I disagree. Dave had enough personal insight and cojones to release a great country style song on TINLTL being Aint it the life, so it doesn't support your theory that he's only now able to release country rock songs.

Of course you may be right if you are suggesting that they didn't have the personal insight or cojones to release cringe worthy horrible music in the OBO era. I'd agree with that. Admittedly OBO wasn't their best work, but the new stuff is making ESPG look decent. That is on a different level and downright unbelievable.

*23rd January 2003 -Hordern Pavilion

*25th January 2003 -Sydney Showground (Big Day Out)

*30th May 2005 -Channel V Studios.

*1st June 2005 -Metro Theatre

*2nd May 2008 - Acer Arena

*3rd May 2008 - Acer Arena

*25th March 2011 - Sydney University

*8th December 2011 - Sydney Football Stadium
Old November 1st 2014, 07:37 AM
Ready on your mark

Well, now you're just putting words in people's mouths. Think about how they used to write, how Dave used to write - it's only been in the last few years when he stopped being so musically guarded. OBO seemed to be a necessary stumbling block, and a turning point when they had to risk losing everything in order to realize what they had. Notice that they became bolder after that point. Where I was coming from was observing that, if you'd put a project like Sonic Highways to them back then, it wouldn't have been in their scope of imagination. Not at all. Not yet.

To be honest, you're ranting like the band has personally slighted you with Sonic Highways. And you are aggressively pushing shit.

FooFightersLive.com
Old November 1st 2014, 07:38 AM
Ready on your mark

And now back to 'Congregation' - after watching the episode, i'm feeling it a lot more. I can see this working live. It'll be the "bouncer".

FooFightersLive.com
Old November 1st 2014, 01:48 PM
I'll Stick Around

As a true fan of the band i feel like, even though I dont want to, that it's kind of sad that they have to think of more and more controversial ways of making music in order to keep the motivation up. Dave has said he got an even crazier idea for the next album. I don't want to get further away from what the Foo Fighters really are for every album they make. I understand and love that Dave wants to explore music, but I wouldn't drag Foo Fighters as a band into that because the fans love them for what they have done and what they are.

I feel like all the three songs we've heard has great foundations for being awesome songs, but the sections with inspirations from the different genres kinda destroy the songs a little. When i listen to SFN I feel like it would have been a so much better song if they'd skipped that repetive guitar riff and put in something that sounds really Foo Fightersish.

Maybe Im just talking from a hardcore fan's point of view...

However, Congregation is maybe the song that I like the most so far, and im really looking forward to the rest of the songs. Go Foo Fighters!
Old November 1st 2014, 01:54 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

I'll like it if I like it. It's Dave's band to do what he wants with, and if he wants to do a show, then he will. I' never got the impression that they're stretching just to keep the band going.

Personally, I like that they keep trying new things. I don't think they'd ever have gotten this far if they'd released 7 more versions of S/T.

And if I'm also honest, I don't see what makes you so 'hardcore' a fan, or why that even needs to exist. We're all fans. That should be enough right?

Old November 1st 2014, 02:10 PM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
I'll like it if I like it. It's Dave's band to do what he wants with, and if he wants to do a show, then he will. I' never got the impression that they're stretching just to keep the band going.

Personally, I like that they keep trying new things. I don't think they'd ever have gotten this far if they'd released 7 more versions of S/T.

And if I'm also honest, I don't see what makes you so 'hardcore' a fan, or why that even needs to exist. We're all fans. That should be enough right?
Agreed.At the end of the day the result is the same.We get an album.I'm for whatever Dave needs to do to keep it fresh for the band to keep going another 20 years!
Old November 1st 2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
To be honest, you're ranting like the band has personally slighted you with Sonic Highways. And you are aggressively pushing shit.
As soon as you give your opinion that isn't completely in favour of the Foo Fighters, then a lot people will jump to their defence, like you criticized a family member. But this is the official Foo Fighters message board... you can expect that here. Half of the people here are obsessed with them or worship almost everything this band puts out
Old November 1st 2014, 03:24 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustigkurre View Post
As a true fan of the band i feel like, even though I dont want to, that it's kind of sad that they have to think of more and more controversial ways of making music in order to keep the motivation up.
who said this was to keep the motivation up? can't a creative person think of different things because he's... I don't know... creative? also, controversial? where's the controversy?

people are allowed not to like something, opinions will vary and that's not a problem, but you make unfounded assumptions here that's just unfair and label it as coming from a 'true' or 'hardcore fan' to justify it. if they're still going is because Dave and the guys know what they're doing and are really the ones, the only ones who can truthfully determine if the "Foo Fighters are what they are"

this comes pretty close to those entitled, ungrateful people who appear every album cicle to demand special treatment because what the band is doing is not enough for their tastes.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •

Last edited by Felipe. : November 1st 2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old November 1st 2014, 04:37 PM
I'll Stick Around

I don't see how the word "controversial" applies here at all. It's a choice that Dave thought would energize the band and lend creativity to the song writing process. The songs, for the most part, were written before getting to a city. The lyrics are inspired by the interviews.

If we had all heard the album straight through without knowing of the show the majority would have loved this song. Instead, I think some are letting their feelings or attitudes towards country music color their opinion. This is not a country song at all.
Old November 1st 2014, 05:28 PM
water it,water it,water it down

heard the live version on youtube, it really brought up my opinion on the song.
Old November 1st 2014, 05:29 PM
I'll Stick Around

It's the guitar solo that really does it for me with this song: just those little pause stops and the kicks back in. Awesome!

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018
Old November 1st 2014, 05:41 PM
Shaking like the thunder Sinking under

Smile Re: NEW SONG - Congregation

Guitar Kinda Boston- esque in some parts
Love that!!
Old November 1st 2014, 06:11 PM
Stiff Competition

I do love the internet.

The great part about it is that everybody is totally free to share their opinions with the world. The not so great part is that everybody feels that they're an expert because they have an opinion!

Let Dave and the guys do what they want to do - they're going to do it anyway. They're not going to keep making one fan's favorite album over and over again until they call it quits. They're probably going to do what moves and inspires them and that will involve taking fresh new approaches to keep the creative juices flowing.

They're not AC/DC. Even Angus says that they've done the same exact album since 1974! (Not sure I agree with him, but HE said it, not me!)

Sit back and enjoy what they're doing...
Old November 1st 2014, 06:18 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Caved and I'm listening to Congregation, I'm definitely really enjoying it, it gives me that great Fall feeling of TINLTL, but it kinda occurred to me that Sonic Highways isn't going to be the album Foo Fighters are remembered for. Which is fine, since I'm really enjoying it so far.

How I'd rank them:
1. SFN
2. FATF
3. Congregation
Old November 1st 2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatthes View Post
I do love the internet.

The great part about it is that everybody is totally free to share their opinions with the world. The not so great part is that everybody feels that they're an expert because they have an opinion!

Let Dave and the guys do what they want to do - they're going to do it anyway. They're not going to keep making one fan's favorite album over and over again until they call it quits. They're probably going to do what moves and inspires them and that will involve taking fresh new approaches to keep the creative juices flowing.

They're not AC/DC. Even Angus says that they've done the same exact album since 1974! (Not sure I agree with him, but HE said it, not me!)

Sit back and enjoy what they're doing...
To some extent, I get a kick out of seeing posts on other bands' boards where they say that the Foos "never take a chance" on their songs or have "been writing the same song over and over since 1995". Unless they do full-on NIN mode or something, some people will just hear a guitar and think it all sounds the same!

Little do they know...
Old November 1st 2014, 06:26 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I don't mind whatever directions that the Foos will take in any song or any album. They are, without a shadow of a doubt, great musicians that makes a lot of compelling songs. It is up to us, the fans, to trust their judgment. It's all right to not like a song, but it's not all right to really say that this is not a Foos song and it should not belong to a Foo Fighters album.

For me, I like Congregation. I like that laid-back vibe they are giving after releasing a building to a climax song (Something From Nothing), and a high-energy song (The Feast and the Famine).

To me, that's what makes these guys so compelling. They can make a song as high-energy like All My Life and White Limo and they can dial it down and still make it work. Heck, I loved their more laid-back songs like Walk and Wheels (I don't why it gets the hate, it gets, but whatevs, it's my favorite song from them).
Old November 1st 2014, 06:49 PM
Cause everyone's just too weird

I'm not listening to any studio versions, just live versions. Listening to Congregation right now...

Yeah, pretty middle of the road, but I like the guitar work. It's hard to hear Dave's vocals. With all the comments here, I expected a twangy country song. I'm not hearing any "country" at all.

The only expectation I have from the band's albums is that they are entertaining. When they go above and beyond my expectation -- as they did with WL -- it's a bonus.
Old November 1st 2014, 07:11 PM
Winnebago Life

With SFN and TFNTF, with every listen, they grew on me. But with Congregation, I like it less with every re listen... not liking it right now, but, well, you can't please everyone.