Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 7th 2014, 09:11 AM
Grave Rohl

Default Re: Sonic Highways the album - discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
Woke up to an email from jb hi fi saying my copy has shipped so stores seem to have gotten it in early.
Jb shipping times are terrible. I live somewhat close to the dispatch warehouse and it should ship overnight with regular mail, but I've never recieved anything from them within a week. I doubt it'll arrive on release day (not that I'm home to get it but whatever)
Old November 7th 2014, 09:54 AM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo. View Post
Jb shipping times are terrible. I live somewhat close to the dispatch warehouse and it should ship overnight with regular mail, but I've never recieved anything from them within a week. I doubt it'll arrive on release day (not that I'm home to get it but whatever)
I'm in the UK so it won't be here for release day! Bought it for the postcards.
Old November 7th 2014, 10:27 AM
Have you found your way around

So, I havenít posted on here for a good few years but the new album with its accompanying documentary has drawn me back in. As Iíve heard 5 of the 8 songs now, I think Iíve got a pretty good idea of the albumís vibe and thought Iíd post my thoughts.

First of all, I like all the songs theyíve released so far. Something from Nothing is definitely my favourite although I really liked What Did I Do/God As My Witness from the few listens I had this morning. Gary Clark Jr is awesome, so great to see him on there. I think his guitar sound (or at least the parts Iím assuming are him) really work well within the song. Only minor complaint would be the fade out-it almost feels like they didnít know how to end the song, but not a big deal. The Feast and the Famine is probably my least favourite, with that almost entirely being due to Dave not pronouncing famine properly. When they recorded it I can only assume no one was brave enough to point this out to him. Still, the fact that I can enjoy the song despite this catastrophic error probably shows itís a good un.

My main complaint however, is that Iím disappointed by how much this sounds like a follow up to Wasting Light. I donít think any of the songs so far would be out of place on that album. And in a way, thatís a good thing-for me, Wasting Light was a real return to form, and their best record since TINLTL. It flows brilliantly, and I donít reach for the skip button at any point-which is fortunate as I broke it during the OBO/IYH/ESPG years, with each of those albums containing some of the bandís best work and some of its most forgettable. And given Sonic Highways is 5 from 5 so far, I fully expect it to match up to WL.

But the reason for the disappointment is theyíve come up with this interesting concept of exploring the rich tapestry of music in America, and despite very much going to the source, I just canít hear that influence in the songs. Sure, the lyrics are full of references to the history of the cities they visited, and thatís cool, but musically itís very much the Foo Fighters trademark sound. I canít see how the songs would have sounded that different if theyíd stayed at home and recorded it in Studio 606. And I think thatís a shame-this was an album they could have really pushed themselves on and tried something different but itís still business as usual: catchy choruses over loud power chords.

When they have left their comfort zone in the past, Iíve found I normally enjoy the results. But theyíve never done things that radically different and I was hoping this would be the weird one that initially when you listened you thought ďwait, is this the Foo Fighters?Ē. That doesnít mean Iím not going to enjoy the record-itís the Foo Fighters sound I grew up on and will always have a soft spot for, but I canít help but feel itís a bit of a missed opportunity.
Old November 7th 2014, 11:00 AM
keep on Grohling!

Am i correct when i say that the music itself was allready composed/done before going to the studio/city?
(remember that i haven't seen the videos yet).
03 july 2017 Accord hotel Arena; Paris

instagram: https://instagram.com/Vinycode70/
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/user/Nicode70
Old November 7th 2014, 12:00 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicode70 View Post
Am i correct when i say that the music itself was allready composed/done before going to the studio/city?
(remember that i haven't seen the videos yet).
Yes you are correct. The songs were rehearsed for six months prior to them arriving in a given city. Only the lyrics were done after all the interviews were complete.

I just read the Consequence Of Sound "review". What a joke. I may be a fanboy but I am an objective one. No way is this a C- album. If Congregation and In The Clear are the only two essential tracks, I've definitely been listening to a different album.
Old November 7th 2014, 12:25 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

How the US vinyl release ACTUALLY looks
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~xphile/...on%20Vinyl.JPG

I was there
Old November 7th 2014, 12:33 PM
keep on Grohling!

Is that yours?

Old November 7th 2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTom 2.0 View Post
When they have left their comfort zone in the past, Iíve found I normally enjoy the results. But theyíve never done things that radically different and I was hoping this would be the weird one that initially when you listened you thought ďwait, is this the Foo Fighters?Ē. That doesnít mean Iím not going to enjoy the record-itís the Foo Fighters sound I grew up on and will always have a soft spot for, but I canít help but feel itís a bit of a missed opportunity.
I was hoping for that too but it's turning out to be a typical Foo Fighters album (just a lot shorter), and ''doing something different'' was apparently in reference to the TV show. I know the Foo Fighters aren't the most inventive band that starts experimenting or change their sound after 3 albums, like most bands do, but it's been twenty years and 7 albums, now is a good time to really do something different and get out of their comfort zone
Old November 7th 2014, 12:38 PM
A star burned out

F#@K Re: Sonic Highways the album - discussion thread

listened to Outside and holy fucking shit, first time in years I got chills listening to a new Foo track.
ē Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - S„o Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - S„o Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - S„o Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - S„o Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - S„o Paulo ē
Old November 7th 2014, 12:41 PM
keep on Grohling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankey View Post
Yes you are correct. The songs were rehearsed for six months prior to them arriving in a given city. Only the lyrics were done after all the interviews were complete.
Ok so that makes sens that the songs are not THAT influenced buy the city. Only the lyrics are.

I guess that one single week to do the interviews, compose the music, rehearse, record write the lyrics is way too short.

Old November 7th 2014, 02:19 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
So, I havenít posted on here for a good few years but the new album with its accompanying documentary has drawn me back in. As Iíve heard 5 of the 8 songs now, I think Iíve got a pretty good idea of the albumís vibe and thought Iíd post my thoughts.
Hello

Yeah, I think you describe it well. I've enjoyed the songs and the programme and the show but it hasn't hit me yet like WL did, and I think your point might be why. It's not to say I'm not enjoying what's come out, I do. But it's not wowing me as the last album did.

From what I'm reading around the places, a lot of people wouldn't have been keen to have a different sound come in, but I think I would, just to see what kind of experimenting they could really do - there's a lot of musical influences in the band, but they're not hugely utilised.

Old November 7th 2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
But the reason for the disappointment is theyíve come up with this interesting concept of exploring the rich tapestry of music in America, and despite very much going to the source, I just canít hear that influence in the songs. Sure, the lyrics are full of references ...
I agree. I'm not that disappointed, as I love the songs so far, but yes, I was more expecting some influences, such as a more bluesy tune for Chicago. They've done it before, with If Ever (b-side) and I still love that track. Or a country'ish type track for Nashville. I think I too would have preferred a more differing style.

But I'm not going to complain, its new Foos, and I'm still going to play the shit out of this album.
Old November 7th 2014, 02:58 PM
Winnebago Life

Listening to Outside again.... I don't like the main riff at all. However, the other riff in the middle of the song... that one's awesome, I specially love it for the 5/4 bar on it. It's amazing... sadly, it's the only part of the song I liked.
Old November 7th 2014, 03:03 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
Hello

Yeah, I think you describe it well. I've enjoyed the songs and the programme and the show but it hasn't hit me yet like WL did, and I think your point might be why. It's not to say I'm not enjoying what's come out, I do. But it's not wowing me as the last album did.

From what I'm reading around the places, a lot of people wouldn't have been keen to have a different sound come in, but I think I would, just to see what kind of experimenting they could really do - there's a lot of musical influences in the band, but they're not hugely utilised.
The show is a blessing and a curse. While it's great to see how the songs were influenced by a given city, we are also being influenced as to how we open ourselves to the music upon first listen.

I think it would have been better for the album to come out first, let us soak it in and then have the show give us some insight. Even worse, we are getting the album a song at a time which is taking away the flow of listening to it as a whole. These songs work amazingly well together. As much as I love Wasting Light, I find this to be a much more engaging work. This will be the album I listen to with the headphones on late at night.
Old November 7th 2014, 03:56 PM
I'll Stick Around

That riff in the middle of Outside should be the main riff of the song. It's brilliant.
Old November 7th 2014, 04:09 PM
Visiting is pretty...

How has this not leaked yet? Hopefully we'll get it today.
Old November 7th 2014, 04:35 PM
A star burned out

I think the documentary is influencing the music a lot more than it should. they had a similar schedule with WL doing a song a week, but back then it was all in Dave's house and just them having a good time without distractions. whereas now with SH, there's a huge production involved and Dave talked about it bit further in the interview during the Maida Vale sessions. every week they had a whole episode to shoot, a brand new environment they were not previously familiar with and by the end of it they HAD to have a song finished because they had to pack and fly somewhere else and start it all over again.

I know they knew the songs beforehand but there was a lot of work still left to be done, Taylor said they had mainly the bare bones of each track which consisted mostly of riffs, all the bridges and middle sections were done on the road since they had guests on. then, as we all know, the lyrics.

I mean, I LOVE the documentary and I'm really digging the songs, but it would maybe work out better if it were done separately, like just working the songs during the production so they could absorb all the influences, work the song parts that were needed, lyrics and all, then go back home and record it on 606 or Dave's house again. like, let the post-production crew work on editing the show while they're back at a familiar environment and make an album. do it not only separately but also release it separately. that would, of course, make them change things a bit in regards to each episode format but I'm sure they'd come up with something interesting.
ē Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - S„o Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - S„o Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - S„o Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - S„o Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - S„o Paulo ē
Old November 7th 2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
I think the documentary is influencing the music a lot more than it should. they had a similar schedule with WL doing a song a week, but back then it was all in Dave's house and just them having a good time without distractions. whereas now with SH, there's a huge production involved and Dave talked about it bit further in the interview during the Maida Vale sessions. every week they had a whole episode to shoot, a brand new environment they were not previously familiar with and by the end of it they HAD to have a song finished because they had to pack and fly somewhere else and start it all over again.

I know they knew the songs beforehand but there was a lot of work still left to be done, Taylor said they had mainly the bare bones of each track which consisted mostly of riffs, all the bridges and middle sections were done on the road since they had guests on. then, as we all know, the lyrics.

I mean, I LOVE the documentary and I'm really digging the songs, but it would maybe work out better if it were done separately, like just working the songs during the production so they could absorb all the influences, work the song parts that were needed, lyrics and all, then go back home and record it on 606 or Dave's house again. like, let the post-production crew work on editing the show while they're back at a familiar environment and make an album. do it not only separately but also release it separately. that would, of course, make them change things a bit in regards to each episode format but I'm sure they'd come up with something interesting.
One thing the Consequence of Sound review did point out was how the lyrics, in that person's opinion, might have been compromised a bit for the sake of making references to whatever town they were doing that song in. That and maybe writing the lyrics all at once could have resulted in a lesser song. I don't necessarily agree with that (after all, the S/T album had lyrics written in probably lesser time, you know?). But that does sort of expand on some of my concerns about the project when I heard about it. The guest stars, the last-minute lyrics with references to that particular city, etc. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but writing the best song you can should also be a factor, you know? It's certainly not a bad thing trying to finish these songs in another place or city. But I do wonder if not giving the songs or city influences a bit of time to sink in affected the end result at all too.

I haven't heard any of the songs yet, so I'll reserve any opinions until next week. But by the looks of it, it doesn't sound like the songs suffered too much because of the documentary. If it's anything on par with Wasting Light, I'll be a happy listener as well.
Old November 7th 2014, 05:58 PM
Winnebago Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustigkurre View Post
That riff in the middle of Outside should be the main riff of the song. It's brilliant.
I agree!
Old November 7th 2014, 07:01 PM
Visiting is pretty...

At some point I would like it if they would just go back to being a rock band and stop trying to be the ambassadors of rock.I think the constant need to try to educate the public on the history of music is detracting them from being the band that they were.It's also a little off putting that the musicians that they are choosing to collaborate with (for the most part) are not their contemporaries and are instead these mor relics from the 60's,70's and 80's.Joe Walsh and Rick Nielson? I would rather hear some collaborations with Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell or even better just the band itself.

You also have to wonder about doing the lyrics for a song in a day based off of others life experiences.Not very personal and it seems a little forced and gimmicky.Let's write the music borrowing riffs from older songs like Holy Diver then go out and do some interviews.After the interviews just throw the catchy lines together in a day then put it to the music.Formulaic.

After Sound City I was just hoping for a new Foo Fighters album.Not another history lesson.It's starting to sound very preachy.

Last edited by TDL : November 7th 2014 at 07:10 PM.