Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 1st 2017, 11:10 PM
Team Pat

Default Re: Current setlists

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgm84 View Post
When was the last time they played something off Sonic Highways ? I always thought Something from Nothing and Congregation sounded great live.
Pretty sure they played Something from Nothing in Knoxville.

2000-Bloomington, IN
Poor or had little kids for 15 years
2015-Noblesville/Indy
2017-Chicago (Metro), Knoxville, Cincinnati
2018-Lexington, Memphis, Nashville, Noblesville/Indy, Wrigley x2, Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Paul
2019 Atlanta

Upcoming:
5/15/19 New Orleans
5/16/19 New Orleans
5/19/19 Columbus, OH-Sonic Temple Festival
9/20/19 Louisville-Bourbon and Beyond
9/21-22/19 Pilgrimage Festival
Old November 2nd 2017, 05:55 AM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Just throwing my tuppence worth out there (this is a topic that we've discussed a lot over the years, I suspect:

I don't think any fan of any band is always going to be happy with every set they play. We all have our favourites. And often the most passionate fans are the ones who will complain the most. When you've seen a band x amount of times, you will get more picky than when you see them once and are just glad to get that chance.

I, for example, am jealous of people who have heard Aurora, New Way Home or Enough Space live. That said, there's plenty of songs I've seen that I'm sure others would kill to see.

Don't get me wrong, I would never try and argue that each and every show they do is not fun. It is, it's always a great night out.

But we're at the stage now where the jams in the songs are the same jams that have been there for 10 years.

And the songs from old albums are the same each tour. It wouldn't kill to play, say, New Way Home rather than Monkey Wrench, Aurora instead of Breakout or Exhausted instead of Big Me, for example. Even if you alternate every other night.

In a 20-25 song set, you can still play 7-10 songs every night that are the greatest hits (BOY, Everlong, LTF amongst others), 5-7 from any new album and another 6-8 songs that you change around depending on how you feel.

They are to be applauded for not constantly playing exactly the same and for always doing a great show. But they can be criticised for not changing slightly more than they do. I'd argue that it's a fair criticism. They don't have to be Pearl Jam. But there's space for them to change a bit more than they do without alienating anyone.
Old November 2nd 2017, 07:21 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Failure View Post
Just throwing my tuppence worth out there (this is a topic that we've discussed a lot over the years, I suspect:

I don't think any fan of any band is always going to be happy with every set they play. We all have our favourites. And often the most passionate fans are the ones who will complain the most. When you've seen a band x amount of times, you will get more picky than when you see them once and are just glad to get that chance.

I, for example, am jealous of people who have heard Aurora, New Way Home or Enough Space live. That said, there's plenty of songs I've seen that I'm sure others would kill to see.

Don't get me wrong, I would never try and argue that each and every show they do is not fun. It is, it's always a great night out.

But we're at the stage now where the jams in the songs are the same jams that have been there for 10 years.

And the songs from old albums are the same each tour. It wouldn't kill to play, say, New Way Home rather than Monkey Wrench, Aurora instead of Breakout or Exhausted instead of Big Me, for example. Even if you alternate every other night.

In a 20-25 song set, you can still play 7-10 songs every night that are the greatest hits (BOY, Everlong, LTF amongst others), 5-7 from any new album and another 6-8 songs that you change around depending on how you feel.

They are to be applauded for not constantly playing exactly the same and for always doing a great show. But they can be criticised for not changing slightly more than they do. I'd argue that it's a fair criticism. They don't have to be Pearl Jam. But there's space for them to change a bit more than they do without alienating anyone.
Very well put. My thoughts exactly.

Seems like next summer will be the first Euro tour in 15 years I'm going to skip, while last summer's shows I saw were fun they were more or less the same show I've seen many times before. I mean, the forever ongoing jams, the slow Wheels version, the never ending Skin and Bones..

Granted, they did have Michael Monroe totally fuck up their show in Helsinki with too much harmonica, that was something does not happen in every FF show. Thank god.

Now that I'm skipping they'll probably bust out similar setlists to the ones that started the US tour..
Old November 2nd 2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
Seems like next summer will be the first Euro tour in 15 years I'm going to skip, while last summer's shows I saw were fun they were more or less the same show I've seen many times before. I mean, the forever ongoing jams, the slow Wheels version, the never ending Skin and Bones..
It is interesting to see songs like Cold Day in the Sun and Skin and Bones still consistently played after all these years (although with the former, I’ve more or less accepted as the “give Dave’s voice a break” song now). I’ve never even seen Wheels live myself, which goes to show you that not everyone sees the same songs each time.

The jams can still be fun and are usually never quite the "same" every time, although I do get tired of them sometimes myself (at least from the perspective of thinking what they could be playing in place of it... but again, that might be a pacing or “Dave’s voice” issue). They’re a rock band though and I guess it hearkens back to the bands they saw growing up too.

Quote:
I don’t disagree, although I wonder if the “alternate night” thing really has that much merit in the long run. A lot of us might catch one or two shows on a tour only and they might not be consecutive ones anyway. Then we hit one show or another, we’ll still look at other sets from shows and be like, “Why did they get such-and-such and I got this song for a billionth time?” Unless we’re literally going to see more than a few shows (or go out of our way to see this many in a row if its financially doable), I’m not sure it’ll affect that many people in the long run… unless we get to see a few minutes of whatever song on YouTube, which will be the extent of it for most people anyway.
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Old November 2nd 2017, 01:53 PM
Did it free the feelings in your spine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
I don’t disagree, although I wonder if the “alternate night” thing really has that much merit in the long run. A lot of us might catch one or two shows on a tour only and they might not be consecutive ones anyway. Then we hit one show or another, we’ll still look at other sets from shows and be like, “Why did they get such-and-such and I got this song for a billionth time?” Unless we’re literally going to see more than a few shows (or go out of our way to see this many in a row if its financially doable), I’m not sure it’ll affect that many people in the long run… unless we get to see a few minutes of whatever song on YouTube, which will be the extent of it for most people anyway.
The Chili Peppers did the alternate night thing on The Getaway tour last year, they played two consecutive nights at the O2 and I only managed to get a ticket to one- looking at the setlists afterwards the night I didn't get to see had a better group of songs for me personally, with some stuff that I haven't seen live before- I was a little bit gutted.

It was in no way a bad show though, I loved every second just next time they tour i'll be trying to get tickets for every show... just incase
London Stadium - 22/06/2018

Last.fm; lambchop_x
Old November 2nd 2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckiii View Post
The Chili Peppers did the alternate night thing on The Getaway tour last year, they played two consecutive nights at the O2 and I only managed to get a ticket to one- looking at the setlists afterwards the night I didn't get to see had a better group of songs for me personally, with some stuff that I haven't seen live before- I was a little bit gutted.

It was in no way a bad show though, I loved every second just next time they tour i'll be trying to get tickets for every show... just incase
Right. That's sort of how I would see it working out if it was something like they did. There's a lot of cases where you're still going to prefer some songs that the "other night" got if you can't do consecutive nights. Particularly if they're not doing a residency or multiple shows in some city.

As for me, I enjoyed my Chili Pepper show this year anyway, even though I might've preferred hearing Snow to Scar Tissue or Otherside to Dani California, etc. If I want to view those songs from other shows though, there's always YouTube at the end of the day. But yet again, I might be considered the dreaded "casual fan" in that case, so maybe my opinion shouldn't count there?
Old November 2nd 2017, 02:15 PM
Button up, don't make a sound

I was a little skeptical when I saw they replaced the somewhat traditional All My Life opening with Run but it looks awesome. And then to follow up with AML and have the Pretender as the 4th song is a pretty fast and furious start. I've been tracking their set list this tour and it's pretty interesting. Because the Richmond show was the longest it's a little different but the 5 arena shows from Greensboro through Birmingham have had the same 1st 5 songs and the next half dozen or so are about the same. They were doing Something from Nothing 4 times in a row but stopped in Cincy. Same with Enough Space.

They did Arrows once in Greensboro, La Dee Da and Concrete and Gold once in Richmond. They consistently play the same 5 from C and G (Run, The Sky is a Neighborhood, Sunday Rain, Make it Right and Dirty Water) which I would have thought would be a little different. The Line is one of my fav's from this album and they last did it live on 10/9 in LA on a radio set. I'd rather have it or La Dee Da over Make It Right. And wow, that they did Wheels and Congregation in the seriously long Richmond encore!
7/26/2018 - Ruoff Music Center - Noblesville, IN (Indy)
Old November 2nd 2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
It is interesting to see songs like Cold Day in the Sun and Skin and Bones still consistently played after all these years (although with the former, I’ve more or less accepted as the “give Dave’s voice a break” song now).
I bet Cold Day in the Sun will essentially be retired and replaced by Sunday Rain.
Old November 2nd 2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler00Hex View Post
I bet Cold Day in the Sun will essentially be retired and replaced by Sunday Rain.
Was wondering if that'd be the case too, although they've been keeping both in the set list recently.
Old November 2nd 2017, 03:24 PM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Quote:
It is interesting to see songs like Cold Day in the Sun and Skin and Bones still consistently played after all these years (although with the former, I’ve more or less accepted as the “give Dave’s voice a break” song now). I’ve never even seen Wheels live myself, which goes to show you that not everyone sees the same songs each time.

The jams can still be fun and are usually never quite the "same" every time, although I do get tired of them sometimes myself (at least from the perspective of thinking what they could be playing in place of it... but again, that might be a pacing or “Dave’s voice” issue). They’re a rock band though and I guess it hearkens back to the bands they saw growing up too.
The jams are close enough to being the same each night that I can basically hum along to them now having seen them each 4/5 times.

And I totally support the idea of jams/Taylor singing to give Dave a break. Just mix it up a bit more. Play jams on different songs. Let T sing a Queen cover or similar.

Quote:
At least with alternating a few then it would be bad luck if you kept seeing the same songs, rather than a knowledge that it doesn't make a blind bit of difference which show you went to. And it doesn't require the band to have practised that many more songs. Given they do occasionally throw things in, we know that they know them.

Metallica are a good example of this. 75% of their setlist is usually fixed exactly the same, in the same order. The other 25% changes each night, usually from a list of around 10 songs in total.

And as for how many people are impacted, for a band this size, who have been going this long, I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of any audience is likely to be repeat attendees. That's usually the number who cheer/raise their hand when Dave asks (as he does at most shows). And catering to those fans is as much a part of a band's job as catering to the new fans, right?

I realise that I'm sound like I'm bitching a lot. It's really not my intention. They are a great live band. I just firmly believe that, with the smallest of tweaks, they could be even better.
Old November 2nd 2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
At least with alternating a few then it would be bad luck if you kept seeing the same songs, rather than a knowledge that it doesn't make a blind bit of difference which show you went to. And it doesn't require the band to have practised that many more songs. Given they do occasionally throw things in, we know that they know them.

Metallica are a good example of this. 75% of their setlist is usually fixed exactly the same, in the same order. The other 25% changes each night, usually from a list of around 10 songs in total.

And as for how many people are impacted, for a band this size, who have been going this long, I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of any audience is likely to be repeat attendees. That's usually the number who cheer/raise their hand when Dave asks (as he does at most shows). And catering to those fans is as much a part of a band's job as catering to the new fans, right?

I realise that I'm sound like I'm bitching a lot. It's really not my intention. They are a great live band. I just firmly believe that, with the smallest of tweaks, they could be even better.
All good dude. Discussion is fun.

I don't disagree either, except maybe maybe the 50% guess of repeat attendees. I don't know if it's that high, personally... and even then, is it someone who's been to one show before in the past and only know a few of the albums - if that, or is it people who try to attend a few shows per tour and can name most tracks by heart? If it's the later, I could see them benefiting. But if it's someone catching their first show in 10+ years, there's still going to be different things for them. They might not even remember much about the first time catching them, other than the vague memories and a few of the songs that were played.

In the end, I think the argument is just going to shift to something else if something is tried differently, so there's really no way every one of us will be completely pleased. Even if a band plays different stuff each night, the discussion will shift to how the "wrong songs" are being played, or how this order doesn't work or why I didn't get this song on this particular night, etc.

I looked at Metallica's forums when I caught my first show of theirs a year ago, and Lars was being eviscerated by some for promising that he'd look at the prior show's set list from that city so they could change it up. When only "a few" songs were changed in the end, well... same discussion as here, pretty much. But again, I'm a "casual fan" who hasn't bought Hardwired yet or heard The Memory Remains or One live before that night, but I ultimately came away thinking the show was pretty good.

Last edited by trevgreg : November 2nd 2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old November 2nd 2017, 07:21 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:

Thing is their sets are so familiar in recent years that it's not even about going several times on the same tour and getting the same songs, you can go once on each tour two or three years apart and get mostly the same songs.

One guy was saying he went to a show last month, the first time he saw them since 2011, and 18 of the 24 songs were repeats from the 2011 show! 6 years apart and it's mostly the same songs, the only difference were the new album songs.

So adding different songs each night wouldn't be for the benefit of repeat visitors on the same tour, but even over several tours. Sure you could get unlucky and still end up hearing mostly the same sets at two shows, but if they mix things up you've got a better chance.

I mean they've been around long enough now that they have enough singles and big hits to do two fairly different shows without even needing to delve into rarities. With a couple of exceptions, they could all still be played.

So I mean as a quick example, not in this order obviously but this could be two different sets:

A:

This Is A Call
I'll Stick Around
Everlong
Breakout
My Hero
Stacked Actors
Learn To Fly
All My Life
Low
Best Of You
DOA
The Pretender
Let It Die
Wheels
Rope
Arlandria
Bridge Burning
Something From Nothing
Outside
Skin And Bones
Run
The Sky Is A Neighborhood
La Dee Da
Arrows
Sunday Rain

B:

This Is A Call
For All The Cows
Big Me
Monkey Wrench
Everlong
Breakout
Generator
My Hero
All My Life
Times Like These
Have It All
Best Of You
No Way Back
The Pretender
Long Road To Ruin
Cheer Up, Boys
Walk
These Days
Congregation
Saint Cecilia
Run
Dirty Water
Make It Right
La Dee Da

Mostly different in both nights, but no rarities that most of the crowd hasn't heard and the absolute biggest hits are still there both nights. Proof that they could mix things up and still stick to the hits w/ new album.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old November 2nd 2017, 08:16 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Thing is their sets are so familiar in recent years that it's not even about going several times on the same tour and getting the same songs, you can go once on each tour two or three years apart and get mostly the same songs.

One guy was saying he went to a show last month, the first time he saw them since 2011, and 18 of the 24 songs were repeats from the 2011 show! 6 years apart and it's mostly the same songs, the only difference were the new album songs.

So adding different songs each night wouldn't be for the benefit of repeat visitors on the same tour, but even over several tours. Sure you could get unlucky and still end up hearing mostly the same sets at two shows, but if they mix things up you've got a better chance.

I mean they've been around long enough now that they have enough singles and big hits to do two fairly different shows without even needing to delve into rarities. With a couple of exceptions, they could all still be played.

So I mean as a quick example, not in this order obviously but this could be two different sets:

A:

This Is A Call
I'll Stick Around
Everlong
Breakout
My Hero
Stacked Actors
Learn To Fly
All My Life
Low
Best Of You
DOA
The Pretender
Let It Die
Wheels
Rope
Arlandria
Bridge Burning
Something From Nothing
Outside
Skin And Bones
Run
La Dee Da
Arrows
Sunday Rain

B:

This Is A Call
For All The Cows
Big Me
Monkey Wrench
Everlong
Breakout
Generator
My Hero
All My Life
Times Like These
Have It All
Best Of You
No Way Back
The Pretender
Long Road To Ruin
Cheer Up, Boys
Walk
These Days
Congregation
Saint Cecilia
Run
Dirty Water
Make It Right
La Dee Da

Mostly different in both nights, but no rarities that most of the crowd hasn't heard and the absolute biggest hits are still there both nights. Proof that they could mix things up and still stick to the hits w/ new album.
It could be simplified even more to make most long term fans pretty happy, I reckon, because it doesn't take much to feel like you got something very special on a night. For instance:

Change the opening song every night (selected from the the usual options)
Greatest hits for bulk of the show
2-3 deep cuts that nobody expects at all
1 random cover
Best of you or Everlong to close.

I'd be very satisfied with that, and they only have a small number of songs to practice.

Entertainment Centre, Wellington, NZ - Nov 25, 2005
Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - May 5, 2008
Vector Arena, Auckland, NZ - May 6, 2008
Western Springs, Auckland, NZ - Dec 13, 2011
Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, NZ - Feb 21, 2015
TCV - Brisbane Riverstage, AUS - Jan 25, 2010
TCV - Entertainment Centre, Wellington, NZ - Jan 29, 2010

Creator of the first completely silent album on iTunes.
TWITTER: @BrettBlackNZ
Insta: brettblack
Old November 2nd 2017, 08:27 PM

I can't wait for anything they play next July. Was so ready this Oct. It's been so long and the three I've been to were all so different. The only two songs I've heard at all 3 (granted they were an opening act in 2000) are Big Me and Everlong. Because of one tour being Skin and Bones the collection of songs I've heard live is a little odd. I've heard Marigold twice. "But, Honestly", Have a Cigar, February Stars, No Way Back and Next Year once each but glad I got to hear them. I really wish they'd play Aurora now as it's still one of my top 5 favorites.
Old November 2nd 2017, 11:34 PM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Quote:
I looked at Metallica's forums when I caught my first show of theirs a year ago, and Lars was being eviscerated by some for promising that he'd look at the prior show's set list from that city so they could change it up. When only "a few" songs were changed in the end, well... same discussion as here, pretty much. But again, I'm a "casual fan" who hasn't bought Hardwired yet or heard The Memory Remains or One live before that night, but I ultimately came away thinking the show was pretty good.
There's a lesson there - ignore Lars at any given moment. He's not to be trusted.

Whilst we are on the subject of these two bands though, here's an interesting (nerdy) comparision.

I've seen Metallica 7 times over a 12 year period and only seen 2 songs every time I've seen them.

By contrast, I've seen the Foos 9 times over an 11 year period and seen 8 songs each one of those times.

For both bands, the shows have been a mixture of festival sets, stadium/arena shows and a couple of "special" shows for each band. Even from a simple comment like that, you can see that the Foos "play a bit safe", so to speak.

As Simon expertly pointed out, they could change the set quite a lot and still be playing the songs that would immediately appeal to 90% of the audience. Add in the fact that playing some great songs off old albums might encourage people who have only heard the hits/new songs to go out and listen to those old songs and it's almost counter intuitive not to.
Old November 3rd 2017, 08:04 AM

I think a lot of the "playing it safe" is due to the fact that so much has happened to the FF in a relatively short period of time. I mean, the lift to stadium status has happened during the last decade - they're still learning how to do it properly I think. Last time they did the arena / stadium rock tribute, which is gone now thank god and they trust their own craft. Seems like at heart they're still an insecure club band who think they have to win the audience onto their side every night.

They still have a long way to go to have a Metallica fanbase from which a majority yearns for an old rarity, a song that has not been played from the new album etc... And the band has learned to have fun with it, teasing rarities from their tuning room etc, they're really good with the fan experience. I mean, I'm not a fan anymore (stopped in the 90s, Justice was THE album for me), but still I enjoy following what they do on YouTube. There's a lot to learn for any band.
Old November 3rd 2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Right. That's sort of how I would see it working out if it was something like they did. There's a lot of cases where you're still going to prefer some songs that the "other night" got if you can't do consecutive nights. Particularly if they're not doing a residency or multiple shows in some city.

As for me, I enjoyed my Chili Pepper show this year anyway, even though I might've preferred hearing Snow to Scar Tissue or Otherside to Dani California, etc. If I want to view those songs from other shows though, there's always YouTube at the end of the day. But yet again, I might be considered the dreaded "casual fan" in that case, so maybe my opinion shouldn't count there?
They didn't do Make it Right or Dirty Water at Metro did they?
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2012
Milwaukee, WI Wasting Light Tour 2012
Cubby Bear, Sonic Highways Chicago, 2014
Indianapolis, Sonic Highways IN 2015
Chicago, IL Wrigley 2015
Metro, Chicago, Lollapalooza 2017
Madison, WI 2017
Champaign, IL 2017
Indy 2018
Wrigley 2018 x 2
Old November 3rd 2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsotime2 View Post
They didn't do Make it Right or Dirty Water at Metro did they?
They did Dirty Water. I think Arrows and Make It right might've been on the actual set list, but they weren't played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler00Hex View Post
I can't wait for anything they play next July. Was so ready this Oct. It's been so long and the three I've been to were all so different. The only two songs I've heard at all 3 (granted they were an opening act in 2000) are Big Me and Everlong. Because of one tour being Skin and Bones the collection of songs I've heard live is a little odd. I've heard Marigold twice. "But, Honestly", Have a Cigar, February Stars, No Way Back and Next Year once each but glad I got to hear them. I really wish they'd play Aurora now as it's still one of my top 5 favorites.
They opened with Aurora at the Metro gig and will probably be one of the moments from live concerts I'll always remember. They definitely had the right audience for it that night!
Old November 3rd 2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post

A:

This Is A Call
I'll Stick Around
Everlong
Breakout
My Hero
Stacked Actors
Learn To Fly
All My Life
Low
Best Of You
DOA
The Pretender
Let It Die
Wheels
Rope
Arlandria
Bridge Burning
Something From Nothing
Outside
Skin And Bones
Run
La Dee Da
Arrows
Sunday Rain

B:

This Is A Call
For All The Cows
Big Me
Monkey Wrench
Everlong
Breakout
Generator
My Hero
All My Life
Times Like These
Have It All
Best Of You
No Way Back
The Pretender
Long Road To Ruin
Cheer Up, Boys
Walk
These Days
Congregation
Saint Cecilia
Run
Dirty Water
Make It Right
La Dee Da

In theory, things like that could work, like I suppose it could with any other band out there. In the end, I’m not sure if enough people (aside from us and a few others) care enough to even look up what gets played every single show or what was played at their ‘prior’ show. The guy who said 18 of the 24 songs were repeats found it worth his time to look it up, but I don’t think most people are thinking “Oh no, I hope I don’t have to hear Monkey Wrench for the second time in my life!” In fact, a lot probably prefer that. I don’t even go to a show for a band and then fully expect to never hear certain songs again or be good for the rest of my life because of that.

Theoretically though, yeah… things could be mostly different every night or even tour to tour. I don’t disagree that they are a lot of carryovers from the recent tours… and some people could do without the covers, although a lot of “casual” fans I discuss it with seem to really like them. I could certainly go without hearing Learn to Fly or Skin and Bones or Cold Day in the Sun another time in my life too. But there’s probably not many people who go to two consecutive shows to justify much of a shift there, or else we’d see everybody doing it. And even then, the argument will just shift to something else… how they played the “wrong” song, how I still heard Skin and Bones for the “billionth” time anyway, how I got the “wrong night” because the prior show had Aurora and New Way Home, etc. In other words, it’ll always be something.

It’s that way on every board too. And revolving significant amounts of songs each night is something every fan base suggests. Problem is we’re not the ones at 100+ shows each tour or literally watching and listening to every single one. Like I said, even if such-and-such is played at a show we're not at, some of us will just watch a few minutes of it on YouTube and maybe only once or twice again after that.
Old November 3rd 2017, 04:18 PM
The Cookie Is A Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
I think a lot of the "playing it safe" is due to the fact that so much has happened to the FF in a relatively short period of time. I mean, the lift to stadium status has happened during the last decade - they're still learning how to do it properly I think. Last time they did the arena / stadium rock tribute, which is gone now thank god and they trust their own craft. Seems like at heart they're still an insecure club band who think they have to win the audience onto their side every night.

They still have a long way to go to have a Metallica fanbase from which a majority yearns for an old rarity, a song that has not been played from the new album etc... And the band has learned to have fun with it, teasing rarities from their tuning room etc, they're really good with the fan experience. I mean, I'm not a fan anymore (stopped in the 90s, Justice was THE album for me), but still I enjoy following what they do on YouTube. There's a lot to learn for any band.
I agree that they are a good decade, in band evolution terms, behind the likes of Metallica but, outside of the US, they have been playing stadium size shows for over 10 years now. I don't buy that they are a band not used to it yet.