Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Foo Side Projects
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old August 24th 2011, 04:33 PM
BigCol's Avatar
BigCol BigCol is offline
I don't have a cofee problem.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London.
Posts: 7,140
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Dave sings harmonies don't forget. I think he and Josh's voices work really well together. Dead End Friends is the prime example in my opinion, I love that song.

And I love their to-and-fro vocals on the chorus of Mind Eraser.
__________________
Here's a little ditty...it's called I'll Stick Around

03/06/95 KCLSU 15/11/95 Brixton 28/05/97 Astoria 29/05/97 Astoria 23/11/97 Brixton 25/11/99 Brixton 04/03/00 Scala 24/08/00 Stratford Rex 26/08/02 Astoria 23/11/02 Wembley Arena 24/08/05 Astoria 17/12/05 Earls Court 17/06/06 Hyde Park 18/11/07 02 Arena 06/06/08 Wembley Stadium 23/02/11 Brixton 25/02/11 Wembley Arena 03/07/11 MK Bowl 11/07/2011 Camden Roundhouse 10/09/2014 Brighton Concorde 2 14/09/2014 Invictus Games 06/09/2015 MK Bowl
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old August 24th 2011, 04:46 PM
Felipe.'s Avatar
Felipe. Felipe. is offline
A star burned out
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,644
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Grief View Post
Josh is absolutely the weakest link in TCV - nothing against him or anything but do you really think the band would of went anywhere w/o Mr. Grohl on drums and add JPJ on top of that to the rhythm section? I think Josh is way more talented on guitar and I would have enjoyed TCV more, had they had a stronger singer. He's not terrible, but I definatly do not agree that he has more of a vocal range.

He's good at stoner rock, but hell, once the buzz wears off - *yawn.* Take "elephants" for example - beginning rocks harder than anything I've heard in awhile, then theres 4 minutes of drudge in the middle thats just god damn boring, then they finally hit it back up again at the end.

And as far as Mr. Grohl singing and drumming? Why is this out of the question? Levon Helm anyone?

Ginger Elvis is not a front man.
one thing is you state your opinions in a "I don't like this, I don't like that" and it's perfectly fine. a completely different thing is you say you don't agree with FACTS, there's nothing to agree there when it's a fact, it's fact that he has more powerful vocal range and it's a fact that he plays guitar like no one else. if that's not enough for you to like the band, that's ok too, but be a bit more mature and recognize this bands strong points.

go dislike Josh or the band as much as you like, but please choose your words and reasons more carefully to avoid sounding like an internet troll. there's discussions and there's trolling, writing an angry post with a little middle finger icon makes you sound not only like a troll, but like you're 10.
__________________
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old August 24th 2011, 05:00 PM
Good_Grief Good_Grief is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 663
Finger Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
one thing is you state your opinions in a "I don't like this, I don't like that" and it's perfectly fine. a completely different thing is you say you don't agree with FACTS, there's nothing to agree there when it's a fact, it's fact that he has more powerful vocal range and it's a fact that he plays guitar like no one else. if that's not enough for you to like the band, that's ok too, but be a bit more mature and recognize this bands strong points.

go dislike Josh or the band as much as you like, but please choose your words and reasons more carefully to avoid sounding like an internet troll. there's discussions and there's trolling, writing an angry post with a little middle finger icon makes you sound not only like a troll, but like you're 10.
Hey, Internet Cop - go fuck yourself and work on your grammar. You write like an ten year old. Piss off.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old August 24th 2011, 05:08 PM
Good_Grief Good_Grief is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 663
Thumbs up Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Failure View Post
TCV wouldn't have been the same band without ANY of them. Josh's voice suits it because half the songs, if not more are based around it.

Of course there are technically stronger singers out there, but that doesn't mean they would have worked better. Talent though he is, I don't believe that Dave is technically the best drummer ever. But what he does suits the music exceptionally well.

And Josh is a great front man. The man oozes charisma.
To each his own, man. I was excited as anyone else when TCV was just getting started, bought the album, saw them live - but haven't listened to them since. In my opinion, I feel that Josh is not a strong singer and the group would have benefited more with a stronger singer. Josh's guitar playing is a whole different story and if you look at my original post, I stated that.

The hype that was surrounding them in the beginning was amazing, but feel they didn't live up to the expectations in the long run.

I still would be interested in them if new material came out, just would have preferred if Dave was singing lead more.

Take care,

Last edited by Good_Grief : August 24th 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old August 24th 2011, 05:09 PM
Felipe.'s Avatar
Felipe. Felipe. is offline
A star burned out
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,644
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Grief View Post
Hey, Internet Cop - go fuck yourself and work on your grammar. You write like an ten year old. Piss off.
I point out an argument politely and you reply with a "go fuck yourself", way to prove my point, thank you very much for the confirmation.

I don't have to work out my grammar when english is not my language and I learned it only a few years ago, while you being born with it and still killing it make up for a much worse example.

keep up with comebacks like this, you're painting your own lame portrait of internet troll and it's hilarious.
__________________
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old August 24th 2011, 05:10 PM
Good_Grief Good_Grief is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 663
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
a completely different thing is you say you don't agree with FACTS, there's nothing to agree there when it's a fact, it's fact that he has more powerful vocal range and it's a fact that he plays guitar like no one else.
Actually, MADNESS, what you have stated is not fact, but mere opinion. A fact is that Josh played guitar and sang in the band, what you or I think of his playing/range is an opinion and open to discussion.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old August 24th 2011, 05:14 PM
Good_Grief Good_Grief is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 663
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
I point out an argument politely and you reply with a "go fuck yourself", way to prove my point, thank you very much for the confirmation.

I don't have to work out my grammar when english is not my language and I learned it only a few years ago, while you being born with it and still killing it make up for a much worse example.

keep up with comebacks like this, you're painting your own lame portrait of internet troll and it's hilarious.
Actually, YOU do need to work on your grammar unless you want to come across as some idiot. Omg.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old August 24th 2011, 05:20 PM
Felipe.'s Avatar
Felipe. Felipe. is offline
A star burned out
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,644
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Grief View Post
Actually, YOU do need to work on your grammar unless you want to come across as some idiot. Omg.
people are not obliged to be fluent on a language they were not born speaking, and with that you now added "arrogant" to your report. keep 'em coming.

important reminder: I was polite with my first post and never ever called you what you're calling yourself of, and still now I'm not, you're just giving more and more reasons to be what I only said you WOULD be.

you're one hilarious little one aren't you.
__________________
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old August 24th 2011, 05:21 PM
Good_Grief Good_Grief is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 663
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCol View Post
Dave sings harmonies don't forget. I think he and Josh's voices work really well together. Dead End Friends is the prime example in my opinion, I love that song.

And I love their to-and-fro vocals on the chorus of Mind Eraser.
Totally agree, having Josh & Dave sing on 'Mind Eraser' was definatly a high point (in my opinion MADNESS) on the album.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old August 24th 2011, 05:22 PM
Felipe.'s Avatar
Felipe. Felipe. is offline
A star burned out
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,644
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Grief View Post
Totally agree, having Josh & Dave sing on 'Mind Eraser' was definatly a high point (in my opinion MADNESS) on the album.
I never had a problem with opinions as you could read on my first post.
__________________
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old August 24th 2011, 05:23 PM
Good_Grief Good_Grief is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 663
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
people are not obliged to be fluent on a language they were not born speaking, and with that you now added "arrogant" to your report. keep 'em coming.

important reminder: I was polite with my first post and never ever called you what you're calling yourself of, and still now I'm not, you're just giving more and more reasons to be what I only said you WOULD be.

you're one hilarious little one aren't you.
I guess you fellow gingers stick together, don't you.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old August 24th 2011, 05:30 PM
Felipe.'s Avatar
Felipe. Felipe. is offline
A star burned out
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,644
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

I think TCV is a great project, every member adds important input to a very tight whole. it's a fact that Josh has a more powerful vocal range, and also a fact that he's a great guitar player, both of which can be measured and that's why I call them facts. opinion appears when you like those or not, which (again) is perfectly fine, you don't have to like his singing or his playing, but at least recognize he does a competent job.

I think this is a great band, with great songs, but not perfect, they could do a few things better, maybe structuring the songs differently would add to a more consistent work, but still doesn't bother me.

see? arguments, my opinions, my criticism without having to attack anyone and perfectly understandable even with my flawed grammar. and I will not respond to posts that just attacks me, I don't get into arguments with children.

best regards.
__________________
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old August 24th 2011, 05:39 PM
Good_Grief Good_Grief is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 663
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
I think TCV is a great project, every member adds important input to a very tight whole. it's a fact that Josh has a more powerful vocal range, and also a fact that he's a great guitar player, both of which can be measured and that's why I call them facts. opinion appears when you like those or not, which (again) is perfectly fine, you don't have to like his singing or his playing, but at least recognize he does a competent job.

I think this is a great band, with great songs, but not perfect, they could do a few things better, maybe structuring the songs differently would add to a more consistent work, but still doesn't bother me.

see? arguments, my opinions, my criticism without having to attack anyone and perfectly understandable even with my flawed grammar. and I will not respond to posts that just attacks me, I don't get into arguments with children.

best regards.
Fair enough: truce.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old August 24th 2011, 06:12 PM
Epic Failure's Avatar
Epic Failure Epic Failure is offline
The Cookie Is A Lie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Heart of Transylvania
Posts: 27,747
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Grief View Post
To each his own, man. I was excited as anyone else when TCV was just getting started, bought the album, saw them live - but haven't listened to them since. In my opinion, I feel that Josh is not a strong singer and the group would have benefited more with a stronger singer. Josh's guitar playing is a whole different story and if you look at my original post, I stated that.

The hype that was surrounding them in the beginning was amazing, but feel they didn't live up to the expectations in the long run.

I still would be interested in them if new material came out, just would have preferred if Dave was singing lead more.

Take care,
I'm sorry, but if you actually think that Josh's range isn't greater than Dave's, you're just wrong.

I get that you PREFER Dave's voice, but his range is not greater. That's not something that is open to debate. Hell, I don't think Dave's even got the range that Taylor has.

As I've said, there is a total difference between the singer's range and the quality of the work they put out. Simply having a decent range does not make your music better, it is how you use it.

And, honestly, if you want material where Dave sings lead, just listen to the Foos. Part of the reason why TCV work so well for so many people is because Dave isn't the frontman, he's the drummer and he looked happier doing that than I've seen him in god knows how long.
__________________
Mutare Vel Timere Sperno
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old August 24th 2011, 06:19 PM
Skezz's Avatar
Skezz Skezz is offline
I'm a Muggle Fuggin' Wizard
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Coventry
Posts: 10,808
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Mr John Paul Jones should have been the singer.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old August 24th 2011, 06:34 PM
Good_Grief Good_Grief is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 663
Thumbs up Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Failure View Post
I'm sorry, but if you actually think that Josh's range isn't greater than Dave's, you're just wrong.

I get that you PREFER Dave's voice, but his range is not greater. That's not something that is open to debate. Hell, I don't think Dave's even got the range that Taylor has.

As I've said, there is a total difference between the singer's range and the quality of the work they put out. Simply having a decent range does not make your music better, it is how you use it.

And, honestly, if you want material where Dave sings lead, just listen to the Foos. Part of the reason why TCV work so well for so many people is because Dave isn't the frontman, he's the drummer and he looked happier doing that than I've seen him in god knows how long.
Ok, this is all getting out of hand - I didn't even start the damn thread. To clarify:

1. I like TCV;
2. I think Josh is a great guitar player and was instrumental in their success;
3. Nothing made me happier to see Dave back behind the kit and enjoy that experience live;
4. Josh is great at what he does;
5. I will buy future TCV releases, regardless of who sings lead; and
6. I do not think that he is douchebag, because I have never met him.

In all retrospect and taking into consideration the individuals players contributions, involvement and input into making TCV what it is, all three of them share that credit. That being said, I feel that Josh's singing is one of the weakest aspect of the band and turned alot of people off. Not his guitar playing. Obviously, TCV wouldn't be the band that they are w/o Josh's singing and guitar playing.

If anyone of them benefitted the most out of TCV, it would be Josh.

Just because I am not a fanboy of QOTSA does not mean that I don't like TCV, I just wish that he stuck to playing guitar and had someone else handle lead vocals.

That being said, if Josh & Dave were a power hollywood couple and broke up, I would wear a "Team Dave" shirt.

Seacrest out.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old August 24th 2011, 06:35 PM
Good_Grief Good_Grief is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 663
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezz View Post
Mr John Paul Jones should have been the singer.
'angry,angry'
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old August 24th 2011, 06:38 PM
Epic Failure's Avatar
Epic Failure Epic Failure is offline
The Cookie Is A Lie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Heart of Transylvania
Posts: 27,747
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Grief View Post
Ok, this is all getting out of hand - I didn't even start the damn thread. To clarify:

1. I like TCV;
2. I think Josh is a great guitar player and was instrumental in their success;
3. Nothing made me happier to see Dave back behind the kit and enjoy that experience live;
4. Josh is great at what he does;
5. I will buy future TCV releases, regardless of who sings lead; and
6. I do not think that he is douchebag, because I have never met him.

In all retrospect and taking into consideration the individuals players contributions, involvement and input into making TCV what it is, all three of them share that credit. That being said, I feel that Josh's singing is one of the weakest aspect of the band and turned alot of people off. Not his guitar playing. Obviously, TCV wouldn't be the band that they are w/o Josh's singing and guitar playing.

If anyone of them benefitted the most out of TCV, it would be Josh.

Just because I am not a fanboy of QOTSA does not mean that I don't like TCV, I just wish that he stuck to playing guitar and had someone else handle lead vocals.

That being said, if Josh & Dave were a power hollywood couple and broke up, I would wear a "Team Dave" shirt.

Seacrest out.
That's all well and good, and you may not have started the thread, but you did post this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Grief View Post
Homme was obviously the weakest link in TCV. His guitar playing was amazing, but he can't really sing at all. His range is about as dynamic as Johnny Cash's.

It TCV record a new album, I hope they have another singer so it doesn't sound like another QOTSA album.


That...or have Dave sing and play drums.
Which is what people are calling you on.
__________________
Mutare Vel Timere Sperno
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old August 24th 2011, 06:43 PM
Good_Grief Good_Grief is offline
I'd rather leave than suffer this
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 663
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Failure View Post
That's all well and good, and you may not have started the thread, but you did post this:



Which is what people are calling you on.
That's fine and I stand by my initial post. Please provide examples of this stellar range that you claim Josh has and I will admit that I am wrong.

Until then, I feel his singing is not his strong suit and he should stick to guitar.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old August 24th 2011, 06:59 PM
Epic Failure's Avatar
Epic Failure Epic Failure is offline
The Cookie Is A Lie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Heart of Transylvania
Posts: 27,747
Default Re: is it OK to be a Foo fan and think Homme is a d-bag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Grief View Post
That's fine and I stand by my initial post. Please provide examples of this stellar range that you claim Josh has and I will admit that I am wrong.

Until then, I feel his singing is not his strong suit and he should stick to guitar.
You implied that Dave has a better range, we disagreed. We never said that Josh had a "stellar" range, simply a better one than Dave.
__________________
Mutare Vel Timere Sperno
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.