Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 8th 2011, 12:58 AM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Fan Reviews of Foo Fighters Back and Forth Documentary

One of my favorite scenes was Dave talking about how/why he wrote 'Enough Space' and how he had his hand bouncing exactly in time with the song - brilliant of Mr. Moll to include the song right there to see it!

Old April 8th 2011, 03:30 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooplives View Post
Usher came into theatre and said 15 minutes...10 minutes ago.
Totally thought you meant Usher the singer...whoops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnine13 View Post
When she actually touched the guitar while he was recording his part it was so funny. You can see he's just dad, not some rock star, and he said they'd swim and she wants to now! Just like kids all over the world. His house looked like a commune for a cult with everyone and their kids and wives around. Like a big summer camp.
Aaw, i totally melted! I actually loved seeing them being dads...his family is so beautiful too. and i shall say no more on the matter, for i don't want to get banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraX View Post
I feel SO badly for Dave right now, because you could see how proud he is of the movie (and rightly so). For it not to get to the fans who paid to see it is as of big a letdown to him as it is for those of us who didn't have a great experience. The doc showed us just how much this all truly means to him, and if he says they'll make it up to us, you know they will.

xo
This. And that is why i love the Foo's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolo View Post
Taylor's look got a huge (and good-hearted) laugh out of the crowd in my theater.
haha, and mine! i was too busy trying not to cry at that point - mainly because i know what was going through my mind during that very moment of the Wembley gig, and i too was on the verge of a nervous breakdown because of it. Brought it all back...was only when i noticed everyone laughing that i even looked at Tay. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjonze View Post
I saw a rough cut in February & there were a few sizeable chunks missing from the final version which I expect we can look forward to on DVD - Dave riding to 606 on his motorcycle for aband practice prior to recording WL, Dave explaining how On The Mend was his love song to Taylor, and a few more bits. The Franz part was different on the rough cut too because his parts hadn't been included up until then.
I totally NEED to see this extra footage! Really really hope its included in the dvd...time will tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahavira View Post
I wonder if the guitar played who forgot the key to his case will watch this
Haha, that moment was classic! Poor bloke, bet he felt such a douche lol. Dave telling the story and pissing himself was hysterical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphaël View Post
and i didn't get the Kurt Cobain thing!
i'm really fed up with Cobain's suicide story!
we all know the story about how Dave started the Foo Fighters
It's a Foo Fighters Docu why spend that much time talking about Kurt Cobain
Kinda see what you mean, but Nirvana was a pivotal time in Dave's life and career, and its a big part of who he is and why. It kinda needed to be in there...also i personally found it made the part more emotional and relevant about Tay's OD.

(plus Dave doesn't really talk about it, so if at any point he does, i wanna hear it...so i was glad it was in there!)

My rating = 10/10. obviously! my only complaint was that i didn't want it to end, lol x

"Sometimes I feel I'm getting stuck...Between the handshake and the FUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKK...."

Dingwalls 2.0...Officially the best night of my life <3
Old April 8th 2011, 03:32 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

oooh i didn't realise i was commenting on so many....got a bit into the old 'add quote' bit, lol

"Sometimes I feel I'm getting stuck...Between the handshake and the FUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKK...."

Dingwalls 2.0...Officially the best night of my life <3
Old April 8th 2011, 05:16 AM
Never knowing who to believe

Thumbs up Re: Fan Reviews of Foo Fighters Back and Forth Documentary

Just got this email:

THEATRICAL REBROADCAST OF FOO FIGHTERS DOCUMENTARY AND 3D MUSIC PERFORMANCE COMING TO THEATRES ACROSS THE COUNTRY ON
THURSDAY, APRIL 14th FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY

Cinedigm to re-release the documentary and LIVE 3D performance captured on April 5th of the Foo Fighters performing their new album, Wasting Light

Cinedigm to make good to affected attendees of April 5th broadcasts free of charge

(Woodland Hills, CA/Morristown, NJ) April 8, 2011 Cinedigm Digital Cinema Corp (NASDAQ: CIDM) announced today that they are re-releasing the Foo Fighters documentary, FOO FIGHTERS: Back and Forth, as well as the April 5th 3D performance of the band playing their entire new album “Wasting Light” on Thursday, April 14th at theatres across the country.

This one-night-only rebroadcast comes on the heels of the April 5th release of the Foo Fighters documentary and first ever, widely released LIVE 3D music performance. During that broadcast, technical mishaps stalled or prevented the satellite feed from connecting to a portion of the participating theatres. Cinedigm is rebroadcasting the ground-breaking program in affected markets and offering FREE TICKETS to April 5th attendees in those markets.

“Like all pioneering ventures, doing a huge technical feat like this is exceedingly complicated. Unfortunately due to human error we experienced technical difficulties at some locations that resulted in cancellations and/or substandard quality,” said Jonathan Dern, President of Cinedigm Entertainment Group. “Cinedigm apologizes to the fans of Foo Fighters, as well as the band and everyone in the Foo Fighters organization. We know from the fans who enjoyed the full broadcast that this event was not only historic, but the band did a phenomenal performance. We want to share it with those who were unable to see it the first time around.”

Cinedigm has arranged with its exhibitor partners for the re-broadcast of the film and 3D performance, FREE TO FANS affected by the initial outage.

Information on how to obtain a free ticket, as well as a complete list of theaters showing the rebroadcast, will be available by Friday, April 8, 2011 at 6 pm PDT at www.cinedigm.com/foofighters.

Great for them for making it up to the people like myself, who had a less-than-stellar experience. Since VH1 is showing the doc on Friday, I'm not going to make the 2 hour drive again, but if you live close enough to a theater, I say go for it. The Grohl on the big screen is worth it.*

*understatement of the year

Follow me on the Twitters @taradublinrocks
Old April 8th 2011, 07:46 AM
I'll Stick Around

Fucking loved every last second. Not much else I can say other than that I'm totally gay for each member, past and present.
Old April 8th 2011, 08:29 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
One of my favorite scenes was Dave talking about how/why he wrote 'Enough Space' and how he had his hand bouncing exactly in time with the song - brilliant of Mr. Moll to include the song right there to see it!

I woke up this morning with Enough Space in my head and the image of Dave's hand bouncing up and down and singing the riff! Loved the little background history on that track.
Earls Court 17.12.2005 ~ o2 Arena 17.11.2007 ~ Wembley Arena 25.02.2011 ~ The Roundhouse 11.07.2011

Old April 8th 2011, 08:56 AM
I'll Stick Around

I would say a few of my favourite moments would be:

* When Taylor yawned when Dave was talking about drumming with QOTSA

* When they were doing the small time gig in California and they were all just singing the stacked actors jam bits

* Thought it was hilarious when Dave was doing the BBQ and he looked over and went "Oh look, it's the Hawkins!" and the camera panned over and there was like three or four of them and they had loads of bags and stuff

* When Dave was talking about people resenting him for making the band and they were saying "How dare you make another Rock band" and his reply was "Well, this is what I do... I'm not gunna go out and make a fuckin' reggae band"
Old April 8th 2011, 09:50 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

I really enjoyed it, it flew by to me. It's a shame that IYH and ESPG were glossed over to a certain extent, especially seeing as the latter was the catalyst for the Wembley performance, but otherwise the whole thing was great. I got real goosebumps seeing the Wembley Stadium crowd like that on the big screen! Informative, funny, and the guys come across so well when interviewed. I think they all have an air of charisma about them which means you can't help but like them.

Nate is a comedy genius, some of his quips were priceless.

Loved seeing the footage of that 1995 Brixton show on the big screen too, brought back some great memories. I remember bouncing along to Enough Space myself!

I thought Shifty looked a bit tired in his interview pieces - not as well turned out as we have come to expect.

The live performance was great although as others have said the atmosphere in the theatre was a little weird in between with no one really reacting. There was a smattering of applause at the end.

Can't wait to see it again, and the DVD.
Old April 8th 2011, 10:13 AM

So good. I have that feeling right now that I miss the Foos, that inexplicable feeling I normally get after a gig. I could have easily sat through the documentary again when it finished.

Creatively I absolutely loved the animated album artwork, it really brought them to life and was something fresh and new and a really nice surprise. Even thought they were quite insignificant parts of the film.

Did anybody notice how awesome the album clips from 1x1 sounded? Like they had been remixed? Me and my mate looked at each other and said WOW these bits sound awesome!? So much better than the album! I really hope that we get a remastered version for the 10 year anniversary next year! It was really noticeable in the Times Like These part. Everything was clear and you could hear every part, and it didn't sound muddy and over compressed as it does on the album.

I felt really really sorry for Franz. The part where he said that it was the best 2 years of his life I just felt awful for him! Poor guy! And William as well, it must have sucked so bad. I really want them to reconcile and collaborate in some way. I know it's a bit of a fantasy, but I feel like closure needs to happen there. He was a great sport for agreeing to do the documentary.

I am also more satisfied with them as a band. I feel bad that I have disrespected certain members at certain times, but now they have let us in and exposed themselves, I really appreciate what each member brings and what they have all been through to get to where they are. Chris won me over much more. I never really got him before, so it's great to see that each of them play an integral part. Pat is just a Foo through and through. He's such a great character and he just belongs.

I often would groan that the Foos are not the band they once were. I wish I had seen them at Brixton in 1995, I wish I'd known who they were sooner. But what I have seen under the current lineup definitely can't be so easily dismissed. For the first time, I feel like I have truly embraced both who they are as a band and where they have arrived musically.

I was surprised that there was no mention of Pocketwatch, especially since Dave had actually tweeted a picture of the tape months ago when the documentary was made, maybe we'll get that in the extras of the DVD?

Our cinema seemed to be playing the movie really quietly, I would have loved it to be much louder. The gig was so quiet that my girlfriend went and asked the usher if it could be turned up, which they did during the gap between Bridge Burning and Rope, so it got a little better. There were a few audio drop outs but it certainly didn't take anything away from just how excellent the whole experience was.

Really looking forward to the DVD. And really hope the live performance is available as well, cause that was REALLY good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old April 8th 2011, 10:17 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Hey guys,

I watched Back & Forth at the Odeon in Lincoln (hey, FooHendrix) last night and have to say that I was thoroughly impressed with the whole thing. Highlights for me included:

- How funny and genuine Nate was
- The numerous unseen pics of the early years
- The numerous demos/rough cuts/unreleased material throughout

I was also a geek for the short animations for each album cover (particularily TCATS and OBO).

For the casual, I guess it doesn't matter too much, but from a fan POV, I found the following omissions glaring:

- No Late! Even a 60 second sequence on the Pocketwatch recording with some art and say "Winnebago" would've flowed nicely into the Foo Fighters segment
- No 606! Would've mentioned building Studio 606, and included some footage of the FF HQ during the IYH segment
- Limited side projects! Dave's output over the past two decades has been phenomenal. Surely a short montage of album covers and/or photos with collaborators (Zep, Queen, NIN, etc...) would've been worthy of inclusion?

I am hopeful that we get a Director's Cut released on to DVD/Blu-Ray in the future, but I can't say I'm disappointed with what we did get - a thoroughly insightful and enjoyable presentation of the band's history and members.
Old April 8th 2011, 10:25 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevthedrummer View Post
Creatively I absolutely loved the animated album artwork, it really brought them to life and was something fresh and new and a really nice surprise. Even thought they were quite insignificant parts of the film.
Nice to see that I'm not the only one that really enjoyed geeking out over those bits!

Quote:
Did anybody notice how awesome the album clips from 1x1 sounded? Like they had been remixed? Me and my mate looked at each other and said WOW these bits sound awesome!? So much better than the album! I really hope that we get a remastered version for the 10 year anniversary next year!
Yeah, me too! All My Life sounded so full on.

Being reminded that OBO will be ten years old next year shocked me! Where's it gone?!
Old April 8th 2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_titled View Post
Nice to see that I'm not the only one that really enjoyed geeking out over those bits!
I was about to say the same to you!

Feel I should add a bit about Butch, because every time he came on the screen, I laughed, I find him to be hilarious, he doesn't seem real! No disrespect to him, he just really tickles me - he's an amazing producer and very passionate about what he does no doubt. But I always think of the Nevermind documentary where he's pushing up faders of Kurts vocal tracks saying "mmm listen to the haunting quality of his voice" which I laughed hysterically at when I saw it. He's a pretty good drummer also! But looks hilarious when drumming, he looks so immersed but so surprised at what he's playing at the same time! A true artist and legend quite frankly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old April 8th 2011, 11:03 AM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
I often would groan that the Foos are not the band they once were. I wish I had seen them at Brixton in 1995, I wish I'd known who they were sooner. But what I have seen under the current lineup definitely can't be so easily dismissed. For the first time, I feel like I have truly embraced both who they are as a band and where they have arrived musically.
I feel like this - I got into them in 2000 and if I hadn't been so against 'that guy from Nirvana' before then, I'd have picked them up a lot sooner. I've had a lot of great experiences with them since, but I'd have loved to have been around in the early years.

Old April 8th 2011, 11:14 AM
I'll Stick Around

Oh that reminds me - Another thing I loved during some of the interviews when you could hear the new songs behind the talking but they were just of the drums and bass or some with just the guitar riffs They sounded awesome
Old April 8th 2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexster View Post
I feel like this - I got into them in 2000 and if I hadn't been so against 'that guy from Nirvana' before then, I'd have picked them up a lot sooner. I've had a lot of great experiences with them since, but I'd have loved to have been around in the early years.
Same here...but I guess I was too young, and I didn't have internet at home until late '99, which was when I really got into music. Without that, I wouldn't even know most bands existed, so for me it was more like "oh, the Nirvana dude has a new band? let's listen to that".
Old April 8th 2011, 11:24 AM
Never knowing who to believe

Two more comments: I really laughed at the 'reggae' and 'yoda' comments. And Nate was comedy gold!
Old April 8th 2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3000 View Post
Two more comments: I really laughed at the 'reggae' and 'yoda' comments. And Nate was comedy gold!
I loved the reggae one! Nate was very funny indeed, was cool to hear so much from him!
I think what got most laughs here was Taylor yawning, and Dave telling about how he got wasted after Nate told him he was quitting, and the phone call that ensued
Old April 8th 2011, 11:31 AM
I'll Stick Around

Great great movie (and performance), what a Foo Fightersear!

2001 BIZARRE Festival, Weeze, Germany
2005 HIGHFIELD Festival, Erfurt, Germany
2011 GLORIA, Cologne, Germany
Old April 8th 2011, 11:33 AM
I'll Stick Around

Does anyone know when it will get a physical release?
Old April 8th 2011, 11:36 AM
I'll Stick Around

The documentry was amazing. It was really interesting and also quite entertaining. As for the live performance: The band played well but the sound quality in the cinema I was in was not that good. Chris's guitar was not loud enough to start off with and I think they might have turned it up after White Limo. Alandria sounded awsome as did most of the songs. A great performance all round.

14/09/2014, 23/06/2018