Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 18th 2011, 07:04 PM
Yawn.

Default Re: La Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post

Speaking of food, I noticed some soul food places nearby. I might try one next time.
There is an M & M's on Manchester. Look it up!

Regarding the area, it isn't the end of the world. I spent nearly a year there with rebuild LA efforts and never had one problem. No break ins or issues. It's no worse than areas of the LBC.
my friend told me i should hve 120 babies tonight and i was like no &*ckiing way man that would ruin ky vagina and it would turn into like a wizard sleeve and flap at every slifght breeze of and babies are way gross
Old June 18th 2011, 08:16 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I would just get a cab, it's not that far from LAX hotels to the Forum so it won't cost much. Depending on your budget, the Radisson is one of the nicest LAX hotels I've stayed in and reasonably priced, but if you want cheapest of the cheap but not nasty, the Travelodge is excellent value, I've stayed there many times. And all the hotels near the airport have shuttle service.

And I LOVE driving in LA, but I'm a bit weird, and have done it lots of times.
Hey Lara thank you very much for your posts I am going to those shows too and I had no clue where I was going to stay I still don't know if I am going to rent a car, I didn't know that neiborhood had such bad reputation and for the sound, here in Mexico the concert forum is the most crappy thing so I guess it will be so much better there.

"If you think about it with an open mind, music can be nameless, it can be faceless - it can just be music"
Old June 19th 2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
I was about to say "as long as you keep reminding yourself to stay on the opposite side of the road you'll be okay", but then I realised, you already drive on the right! So honestly, it will be a piece of cake for you. The roads are so much wider than in Europe, and the whole country is made for driving, moreso in California, so personally I'd go for it.

How long are you going to be there for? Because if it's for longer than just a few days around the shows, you will want a car in order to see as much as you can of LA; it's possible to use public transportation, but it's just so much easier with a car.
Haha yes I like wide roads, if they also have big parking lots where even I can manage to find a spot I'll be okay!

It depends if I'm going by myself or not...my nephew might be coming with me, as my mum offered him to come to the U.S. with me for his high school graduation If he's coming, the plan is to fly to Seattle and then slowly make our way downwards, so it'd be about a 3 week trip.
Old June 19th 2011, 01:06 AM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxy View Post
I cannot imagine the Foos at the Bowl, unless they were doing an acoustic set. I would rather park at the Forum than the Bowl any day!
I agree! And if they're doing acoustic, they should play the Greek! For acoustics, at least. The Bowl holds a certain prestige that I am sure will appeal to Dave's ego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxy View Post
There is an M & M's on Manchester. Look it up!

Regarding the area, it isn't the end of the world. I spent nearly a year there with rebuild LA efforts and never had one problem. No break ins or issues. It's no worse than areas of the LBC.
That was it! Tai took me a different way--on Manchester!--and I saw it. Must have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi View Post
Haha yes I like wide roads, if they also have big parking lots where even I can manage to find a spot I'll be okay!

It depends if I'm going by myself or not...my nephew might be coming with me, as my mum offered him to come to the U.S. with me for his high school graduation If he's coming, the plan is to fly to Seattle and then slowly make our way downwards, so it'd be about a 3 week trip.
Currently, I have an extra ticket for Friday. Let me know if your nephew needs one.

I'm thinking we need a big foo get-together for some of our out-of-towners!
Old June 19th 2011, 01:14 AM
WWLD?

Definitely need to try M&M's before or after the show!! As for the acoustics and such...I thought the Prince gig sounded just fine. But then, he had the round stage set up in the middle of the floor that really allowed for good seats no matter where you were. I've opted for loge seats for night #1 and will for the first time attempt GA for night #2. I've done floor for smaller venues without any issues, but the desire to fight the masses for the larger shows has not been on my list of things to do. But figured this go around I'll have enough friends to make it fun, memorable and worthwhile.
Old June 19th 2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
Definitely need to try M&M's before or after the show!! As for the acoustics and such...I thought the Prince gig sounded just fine. But then, he had the round stage set up in the middle of the floor that really allowed for good seats no matter where you were. I've opted for loge seats for night #1 and will for the first time attempt GA for night #2. I've done floor for smaller venues without any issues, but the desire to fight the masses for the larger shows has not been on my list of things to do. But figured this go around I'll have enough friends to make it fun, memorable and worthwhile.
Tai where are you in loge for Thurs? I have both loge and GA for Thurs (long story that involves a ticketmaster mishap) and am trying to decide where we want to be. We're GA for Fri.

Old June 19th 2011, 01:25 AM
WWLD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
Tai where are you in loge for Thurs? I have both loge and GA for Thurs (long story that involves a ticketmaster mishap) and am trying to decide where we want to be. We're GA for Fri.

Loge 9, Row T or something like that. But definitely Loge 9. Not great, but not bad either. I'm good w/ sitting for one show and braving the floor madness the other. Figure Friday night I can go balls out and not worry about having to get up the next day for work.

Oh, and Friday the 14th happens to be my 11 year wedding anniversary. Bought tickets first. Explained to Ken that we wouldn't be celebrating that night second.
Old June 19th 2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
I agree! And if they're doing acoustic, they should play the Greek! For acoustics, at least. The Bowl holds a certain prestige that I am sure will appeal to Dave's ego.

That was it! Tai took me a different way--on Manchester!--and I saw it. Must have!

Currently, I have an extra ticket for Friday. Let me know if your nephew needs one.

I'm thinking we need a big foo get-together for some of our out-of-towners!
I bought two for both shows, figured I could always sell them if he didn't want to come, but thanks for the offer!

I'm all for a big get-together!
Old June 19th 2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai View Post
Loge 9, Row T or something like that. But definitely Loge 9. Not great, but not bad either. I'm good w/ sitting for one show and braving the floor madness the other. Figure Friday night I can go balls out and not worry about having to get up the next day for work.

Oh, and Friday the 14th happens to be my 11 year wedding anniversary. Bought tickets first. Explained to Ken that we wouldn't be celebrating that night second.
We're close - I've got loge 11 row W. It looked to be pretty close to the stage from their map, but since I've never been there I don"t really know. My guess is that we will be doing loge on Thurs. I will say that the rail at the show in Council Bluffs was nothing like the rail for the TCV shows (with the exception of the Oakland show - that one was rough). After the Foo show my shirt was literally ripped to shreds by my belt buckle, and I looked like I had just jumped in a pool fully clothed. It was disgusting. And the crowd was very very rough - and this is in Iowa! So we'll see

Maybe if we get enough tequila in you you and Ken will be celebrating second?

Old June 19th 2011, 02:22 AM
No false hope...

The Forum is a DUMP! It was a dump when I started seeing concerts there in the 80's. The sound has always been terrible....TERRIBLE. And yes, the neighborhood leaves something to be desired. I really wish the Foos would play anywhere else. Even the LA Sports Arena has better acoustics. And I don't know how anyone could think Staples and Honda Center are worse than the Forum. But to each his own. I'm electing to make the drive to the much smaller and acoustically better San Diego show.
Old June 19th 2011, 04:27 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuyArt View Post
The Forum is a DUMP! It was a dump when I started seeing concerts there in the 80's. The sound has always been terrible....TERRIBLE. And yes, the neighborhood leaves something to be desired. I really wish the Foos would play anywhere else. Even the LA Sports Arena has better acoustics. And I don't know how anyone could think Staples and Honda Center are worse than the Forum. But to each his own. I'm electing to make the drive to the much smaller and acoustically better San Diego show.
I saw Eurythmics at Staples Center in November of 1999, a month after it opened, and I vowed never to see another concert there again.

I SAW it fine - but I couldn't make out any of the songs. Sound was bouncing all over the place.

I'll take the dumpy-looking Forum over Staples Center anytime.
Old June 19th 2011, 08:47 AM
I'll Stick Around

Hmmm....Staples or the Forum? I swore I'd never go to the Forum again several years ago but after seeing some recent shows there it isn't THAT bad. When bands play at Staples or Hollywood Bowl. ticket price go way up. I guessed they'd play Forum. There ARE some good Soul Food places on Manchester, the one that keeps popping up first when you google eating places is good! No bathroom in there tho...
Old June 21st 2011, 08:49 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Why would anyone be thinking about eating at a concert? It's not a ballgame where most of the time you are just sitting there waiting for something to happen. I expect that sort of behavior from people who go to concerts to hear one or two hits they heard on the radio and tune out for all else. Eat before or after the show and not at the venue. Learn to ignore the effect of "munchies" if you are indulging in that certain concert past-time of passing the doobie.

I am definitely not a fan of the Forum, particularly because of the sound. I am also not a fan of the Pond for that same reason. However..... I have to wonder where you people that are complaining about the sound have been sitting. At any show, as I'm sure we all do, I make it my goal to be as close as possible or at least in the direct field of the sound system which eliminates most of the sound issues. Colonnade seats and seats that are not placed where the sound is focused aren't even considered.. no matter who it is I am going to see. I will simply not go.

Every show I've done at Staples I have either been in the front or in the direct sound path, so I don't share the same negative experience that many here are declaring. My roommates on the other hand, hated Staples over the sound issue because the only experience they had were in the cheap seats.

The Gibson is alright, but I don't really care for it's location. Nothing wrong with it, but you have to deal with the Universal Studios/CityWalk crowds/parking. My personal favorite is good ole Irvine Meadows, but again..... I don't take any seats that aren't in Orchestra into consideration. I'd much prefer the Foos play there or Hollywood Bowl (great concessions, convenience/liquor store style.) Frankly, I'm not sure why bands continue to play the Forum.

Whatever happened to Long Beach Arena? In the 80's it was standard for shows there. It seems to have fallen off the concert-venue map.
Old June 21st 2011, 09:20 AM

Does anyone know what time they usually finish at? I'm trying to plan everything so my first foo fighters concert will be perfect :3

FRESH POTS!!!
Old June 21st 2011, 06:58 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubzy View Post
Does anyone know what time they usually finish at? I'm trying to plan everything so my first foo fighters concert will be perfect :3
Most headliners start by 9 and finish between 11:30 and 12.
Old June 21st 2011, 07:37 PM

Thank you

FRESH POTS!!!
Old June 22nd 2011, 02:03 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingPurist View Post
Why would anyone be thinking about eating at a concert? It's not a ballgame where most of the time you are just sitting there waiting for something to happen. I expect that sort of behavior from people who go to concerts to hear one or two hits they heard on the radio and tune out for all else. Eat before or after the show and not at the venue. Learn to ignore the effect of "munchies" if you are indulging in that certain concert past-time of passing the doobie.

I am definitely not a fan of the Forum, particularly because of the sound. I am also not a fan of the Pond for that same reason. However..... I have to wonder where you people that are complaining about the sound have been sitting. At any show, as I'm sure we all do, I make it my goal to be as close as possible or at least in the direct field of the sound system which eliminates most of the sound issues. Colonnade seats and seats that are not placed where the sound is focused aren't even considered.. no matter who it is I am going to see. I will simply not go.

Every show I've done at Staples I have either been in the front or in the direct sound path, so I don't share the same negative experience that many here are declaring. My roommates on the other hand, hated Staples over the sound issue because the only experience they had were in the cheap seats.

The Gibson is alright, but I don't really care for it's location. Nothing wrong with it, but you have to deal with the Universal Studios/CityWalk crowds/parking. My personal favorite is good ole Irvine Meadows, but again..... I don't take any seats that aren't in Orchestra into consideration. I'd much prefer the Foos play there or Hollywood Bowl (great concessions, convenience/liquor store style.) Frankly, I'm not sure why bands continue to play the Forum.

Whatever happened to Long Beach Arena? In the 80's it was standard for shows there. It seems to have fallen off the concert-venue map.
I assume the Forum is more economical (i.i cheaper!) than Staples or the Pond.

I agree about Long Beach - I saw the Foos there a few years back and would be my #1 choice for arena.

The Hollywood Bowl is too big - too many bad seats - too costly - and parking is awful. You need to pay through the nose to park or take buses.

The Greek is great, but doesn't have that many seats.

For me, the Forum is just fine. I'm going to see Foo Fighters, not the decor of the arena.
Old June 22nd 2011, 02:11 AM

I rate concert venues based on the number and quality of their toilets.
Old June 22nd 2011, 02:17 AM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by white devil 67 View Post
I assume the Forum is more economical (i.i cheaper!) than Staples or the Pond.

I agree about Long Beach - I saw the Foos there a few years back and would be my #1 choice for arena.

The Hollywood Bowl is too big - too many bad seats - too costly - and parking is awful. You need to pay through the nose to park or take buses.

The Greek is great, but doesn't have that many seats.

For me, the Forum is just fine. I'm going to see Foo Fighters, not the decor of the arena.
I won't disagree with any of this.

As far as acoustics go, it probably does depend on your seats and subjectivity. I've had a variety of seats at the Forum and Staples, fewer at the Pond. Not at all impressed with Staples. Lucky for B.Purist to have awesome seats every time, but in general, it really does blow that such a new, lovely venue such as Staples doesn't deliver more uniformly to every price point. Nokia Live and Club Nokia are MUCH better in every way (but obviously aren't as large).
Old June 22nd 2011, 05:38 AM

I got my tickets in the mail today!!!!!!!! So freaking happy

FRESH POTS!!!