Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 6th 2011, 06:57 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Default Re: Fan Reviews of Foo Fighters Back and Forth Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel II View Post
I knew in advance that I'd be in LA for work so I picked up a ticket when they went on sale. Got to theater around 5ish and already a line. Then about 5:30, about 100 FROQ winners of some sort come in and get in a "special" line. Does KROQ ruin everything?

Anyway, theater was full but not 100% full. The director and his crew were all there, which was cool. He made a little speech before it started (before the delay too).

Documentary was great. Way better then I expected it. Warning, some spoilers but no major details). They focused a ton on Nirvana. I was never a fan and I'm still not, but it was really interesting.

The FF section focuesed a lot on Franz and Mike and them getting kicked out, really well told in that respect. And then there was all the drama about the new members and how Nate hated Taylor at first, just real goosd stuff.

In your honor and ESPG were skimmed over, and a huge amount spent on Wasting Light. I have to say, all the video's shot at Dave's house were SUPER cool. They seem like just avg guys hanging at a buddy's house. If I had to pick a favorite segment, this would be it.

Live 3D concert was bit odd. Even Fave said at the end something, thanks for coming guys, this has been sort weird but fun. They sounded really tight and it was a fun experience, but I don't think I'd want to see it again.

The sound mixing was really good. One thing I recall about Spaceland is how LOUD it was and the newer songs sounded messy (in a rock and roll kinda way). For this, the mixing made a huge difference.

Well worth the $21.
KROQ or KROCK ruins everything. KROCK in New York died thank god. Anything that sounds like K ROCK means it blows.

Fairfax, VA theatre documentary was awesome. I got there right at 9 p.m. and it was close to sold out even though they claimed it was sold out. A week of Foo was started before the album is released.
Old April 6th 2011, 06:59 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnine13 View Post
I almost cried at the part when Dave is overcome with emotion at the end of the Wembley concert, but then they focused on Taylor, who had the funniest look on his face, I laughed instead.
HA, i know, right?! best face ever.

I'm glad Dave's "reign" over the band was acknowledged. How he felt bad about replacing William's parts on TCATS. Sometimes I have mixed feelings about his control, but then I don't blame him because he did START the band and it is like his baby.

Speaking of his baby, the kid asking to go swimming part was probably my favorite moment. There were so many incredibly funny clips that will make us die-hards eat this shit up, and surely draw in some casual listeners.

I was most enlightened by Pat's side of the stories. So glad he's back.

AND NATE: great to hear him talk and be sooo funny!

"Dave has a crush on Taylor" ~Howard Stern 4.11.11
Old April 6th 2011, 06:59 AM
I'll Stick Around

I'll let you know after i can see it on bluray. Stupid theatre!!!!
Old April 6th 2011, 07:05 AM
Screams in silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Grohl View Post
HA, i know, right?! best face ever.

Speaking of his baby, the kid asking to go swimming part was probably my favorite moment. There were so many incredibly funny clips that will make us die-hards eat this shit up, and surely draw in some casual listeners.
When she actually touched the guitar while he was recording his part it was so funny. You can see he's just dad, not some rock star, and he said they'd swim and she wants to now! Just like kids all over the world. His house looked like a commune for a cult with everyone and their kids and wives around. Like a big summer camp.
Old April 6th 2011, 07:07 AM

I really don't think I could have enjoyed the documentary more. I was especially impressed with how honest all of the guys were about not only the good but also the not so good stuff. That takes a lot of guts to put themselves out there like that.

Probably what I loved the most was the humor and the non rock star vibe that they all gave off. I know that we as Foo nerds already know this, but I'm happy that others who don't know this will get to see that side of them too via the documentary.

Very nicely done by all.

Old April 6th 2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
When she actually touched the guitar while he was recording his part it was so funny. You can see he's just dad, not some rock star, and he said they'd swim and she wants to now!
AHH YES, THAT LITTLE FRUSTRATED STRUM!!!! Classic!

Old April 6th 2011, 07:09 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzWords View Post
Who's this Mike guy who got kicked out? I think i missed that part!
Sorry, I meant Will. No idea why I wrote Mike.
October 17, 2011 - Viejas Arena, San Diego
January 10, 2015 - The Forum, LA (Dave's Birthday Show)
Old April 6th 2011, 07:15 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Theater in Riverbank, CA had the same tech problems on the front-end that everyone else has been talking about. Starting about 20 minutes late, we got to see the whole documentary with no problems at all. Really enjoyed the whole thing but was a little surprised on how quickly they moved past In Your Honor and ESPG.

Performance sounded great with no tech hiccups at all. Can't wait to catch them on tour. I might have to travel to a few more shows than I first thought!
Old April 6th 2011, 07:17 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolo View Post
Theater in Riverbank, CA had the same tech problems on the front-end that everyone else has been talking about. Starting about 20 minutes late, we got to see the whole documentary with no problems at all. Really enjoyed the whole thing but was a little surprised on how quickly they moved past In Your Honor and ESPG.

Performance sounded great with no tech hiccups at all. Can't wait to catch them on tour. I might have to travel to a few more shows than I first thought!

i was surprised by how quickly they moved past those records as well!

whatever... they told the stories of the early years in great detail.
Aug 18 2006 - Atlantic City NJ
April 29 2003 - Camden NJ
July 14 2000 - Holmdel NJ
May 15 1998 - Wayne NJ
May 7 1998 - New York NY
Old April 6th 2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
i was surprised by how quickly they moved past those records as well!

whatever... they told the stories of the early years in great detail.
a lot of the running time had been spent on getting to the band's current lineup, so it makes sense that the last albums were rushed through

Old April 6th 2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I would like to see the footage of all of those club shows they played, the few minutes at the Roxy wasn't enough. I know they filmed Krist play Marigold with Pat and Dave at Palladino's, I really wanted to see that, maybe in the director's cut?
I was really hoping to see footage from Palladino's too. It was nice to see how awesome they were sounding at the Roxy and also during the concert. Our sound in the theatre sucked big time, though. The theatre people kept telling us that they couldn't make it any louder and they couldn't make the sound in stereo because it was all a live feed that they didn't have any control over.

Screams in silence

They probably thought if you were watching the movie now, you were familiar with their most recent stuff, but maybe not so much about their beginning, except that the drummer from Nirvana was in the band.

Quote:
Here's my review... Franz looked like SHIT.
i'm impressed they got franz and will to give interviews. that's really hard stuff to tell the whole world about.

Old April 6th 2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
They probably thought if you were watching the movie now, you were familiar with their most recent stuff, but maybe not so much about their beginning, except that the drummer from Nirvana was in the band.
interesting point, there wasn't a whollllle lotta juice to discuss with the newer stuff

Old April 6th 2011, 07:25 AM
Screams in silence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
I was really hoping to see footage from Palladino's too. It was nice to see how awesome they were sounding at the Roxy and also during the concert. Our sound in the theatre sucked big time, though. The theatre people kept telling us that they couldn't make it any louder and they couldn't make the sound in stereo because it was all a live feed that they didn't have any control over.

Ours was not very loud either. I know it can be, because surround sound action movies are way louder than this was. They sounded so tight, it was hard to believe it was live. The crowd was pretty wild at that Roxy show, not like an LA crowd. They were filming the massive circle pits, I was surprised none of that made it. I hope the dvd is about 3 hours long.
Old April 6th 2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
I was really hoping to see footage from Palladino's too. It was nice to see how awesome they were sounding at the Roxy and also during the concert.
maybe a future DVD will have a whole paladinos-sized concert on it (HINT HINT HINT)

Old April 6th 2011, 07:27 AM
Screams in silence

They not only filmed that show, they filmed about an hour of the crowd/VIP section interacting with the band after the show. They didn't play the whole new album though, only a few songs, so probably not. I wished someone had recorded the Troubador show, that was my favorite one, except for Krist doing Marigold.
Old April 6th 2011, 07:28 AM
Never knowing who to believe

Well, the Corvallis, Oregon showing sucked.

First they had us in a big theater. When the show didn't start right away, the manager came in to tell us that their equipment wasn't compatable with Cinedigm's, and that we could move to another, smaller theater in the same building where they "should" be able to show the film. Since the other theater was smaller, a lot of people ended up sitting on the floor (not me).

We had the tech issues of it not starting on time, but when it did, it was already a few minutes into it, and we had double picture. Instead of full screen, we got side by side screens of the same thing, only slighted stretchy and a bit warped at times. About 5 mins in the feed stopped, we sat in the dark, and we hoped the picture would be fixed. But no, when it came back on, there they were, two pictures instead of one.

The live concert was also shown like that, and the 3D didn't work. A lot of people demanded refunds. I was mostly pissed because I'd driven the 2 hours by myself and the management there were jerks who didn't seem to care that the picture sucked & the sound wasn't great. I really wish the Cinedigm people had listened to my zillions of tweets when I suggested a better theatre closer Portland, which was rated the best theater in the US.

HAVING SAID ALL THAT: I still think this doc will be Oscar nominated, and even though I knew pretty much everything about the band, it was still fantastic to get a look inside the studio. But my absolute favorite moment was when Violet wanted to go swimming but had to wait for boring ol Dad to finish his vocal part.

I'm glad I made the trip, I just wish it had been a better visual experience. However, I expect the Blu-Ray/DVD will be packed with yummy extras, and I can't wait to get it.

Follow me on the Twitters @taradublinrocks
Old April 6th 2011, 07:30 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Only got to see about 10 minutes of the doc in total at the Novi, Michigan theater, over about 3 different spurts of successful feed. One bit was auditioning guitar players, one bit was Taylor's OD, and one was a bit of recording the new album (including the adorable footage of Dave's daughter interrupting). And what I did see of it was double, side-by-side images.

What I did see, I loved. Unfortunately I don't have cable, so won't be seeing it on VH1 or elsewhere soon. But at least I had a chance to see it.

Hated the experience, but it's not the Foos' fault. Got a refund at least, but wish I could see the doc soon.

Did get to see the concert from Dear Rosemary onward. Nothing against the Foos, and I love them to death, but the show was only the new album, and the performance was very sterile, nothing personal, nothing special. The 3-D did look kinda cool, but overall it just felt like it was simply an ad for the album. And it almost didn't feel live. Was it? The only thing I really liked about it was the "K" on Dave's guitar.

Oh, and the audience was okay, I guess, but a lot of just casual fans who didn't know much about the band, and drunk obnoxious college kids. I would love to see something like this with boardies.

Disappointed with the overall experience because I had so been looking forward to it and drove 1 hour and 15 minutes to see it. I am positive I will love the doc whenever I actually do get to see it.

Hate new technology in instances like this. I'm sure it was shot on digital, but if it were me I would have either just made 80 film prints and sent them out as a backup, or just sent out 80 dvd's, being that it was a one-night-only thing.

Again, I stress, I do not fault the band, and love you guys. Thanks for at least trying. And Dave, I hope you play that Flying V in Memphis!

Last edited by T-Bone : April 6th 2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old April 6th 2011, 07:40 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Grohl View Post
a lot of the running time had been spent on getting to the band's current lineup, so it makes sense that the last albums were rushed through
That's a fair point. I could have watched another few hours though. I really dug it.