Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > FooFighters.com
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 25th 2007, 08:22 PM
Have you found your way around

Default Re: Increase PM box limit, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tym View Post
Those are email services who have advertising, commerce links, etc.

We're a message board for a rock band....
You're right, they're free services supported by ads and commerce links. Though this board is much different. It's a sub-domain of foofighters.com, which links to a shopping cart and provides promotional information, which improves revenue and reach. I'm not sure about logistics, but I'm sure the board pays for itself.

Certainly you're not implying that the PM limitation is relevant to the board's budget. My sometimes long-winded posts are much more frequent, and thus cost more than 100-byte PMs. But that's my usage.

If a trade-off is needed, I say limit PMs in some other way. Further limit the number of PMs per day, and/or further limit the amount of characters that can be sent in a PM.

But keep my PMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch View Post
I'm also on board with upping the PM limit. It's the only thing I use here any more.
Thank you for your support. Over the years, it's tough to choose what to delete, isn't it?

Last edited by MicroPat : September 25th 2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old September 25th 2007, 09:10 PM
No way back from here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Diven II View Post

If a trade-off is needed, I say limit PMs in some other way. Further limit the number of PMs per day, and/or further limit the amount of characters that can be sent in a PM.

Look there's only you who's actually arsed about this. The rest of us shouldn't have to suffer because you have some weird obsession with retaining p-ms for ever.

Use email or any number of the trillions of social networking sites available if the retention of personal messages means that much to you. Postboards are first and foremost designed for public posting, hence the name.
Old September 25th 2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
You're right, they're free services supported by ads and commerce links. Though this board is much different. It's a sub-domain of foofighters.com, which links to a shopping cart and provides promotional information, which improves revenue and reach. I'm not sure about logistics, but I'm sure the board pays for itself.
I'm pretty sure the board runs at a loss paid for by the management/band
Old September 26th 2007, 06:22 AM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
I like records of my PMs, and damnit, it's 2007. Storage is cheap. Gmail offers nearly 3 gigabytes of storage. Yahoo: unlimited storage. bbs.foofighters.com, where ya at?

I've accumulated many sentimental (::tearful emoticon: PMs over the years, and it bites having to decide which to delete as I hover at about an 80% full inbox.

How about a substantial increase in allowed PMs? What do you think?
disclaimer: i'm drunk and too lazy to read what everyone else says in this thread.
anyway, save your messages at a word document and have it saved where it won't get bugged or whatever those virus things do.

i should go to bed...