Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 29th 2011, 08:35 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Dave Prompting

Is it just me or does Dave verbally prompt the audience in a live setting way too much?

For one... does he really need to go.. "TIMESLIKETHESE!!" every time? It has to be more effective to just let the opening notes hit the audience and let them work off that. From the shows I have, he does it every time, with the exception of the performance from the in-studio mini concert they currently have showing on ON Demand Concert TV from the In Your Honor period.

I was watching Wembley and loving it, but was also being driven to distraction by how often he goes "HERE WE GO!!" to prompt the chorus or even an intrumental jam or solo part. I'd rather trust the audience to take their own queue.

Was it just the mode he was in at Wembley?
Old April 29th 2011, 08:45 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Default Re: Dave Prompting

Can't say it bothered me !
FF~ Milton Keynes Bowl 03.07.11
FF Reading Festival 26.08.12
SCP The Forum-Kentish Town19.02.13
FF Old Trafford Cricket Ground 27.05.15
FF Milton Keynes Bowl 05.09.15
FF Cheese and Grain 24.02.17
FF London Stadium 23.06.18
Shifty The Fleece 02.04.19
FF Reading Festival 25.08.19
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!.../102594985219/You Know You're a Foo Fighters Fan When...FB Group
Old April 29th 2011, 09:12 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingPurist View Post

For one... does he really need to go.. "TIMESLIKETHESE!!" every time? It has to be more effective to just let the opening notes hit the audience and let them work off that. From the shows I have, he does it every time, with the exception of the performance from the in-studio mini concert they currently have showing on ON Demand Concert TV from the In Your Honor period.

I was watching Wembley and loving it, but was also being driven to distraction by how often he goes "HERE WE GO!!" to prompt the chorus or even an intrumental jam or solo part. I'd rather trust the audience to take their own queue.

Was it just the mode he was in at Wembley?
Not being rude or anything but have you actually seen Foo Fighters live? like in person not just the dvds?

BTW I saw them last month and I remember clearly that he did not say TIMESLIKETHESE before it, because its my favourite song (and I've got a tattoo of it) and I was in such shock I didnt even realize they were playing it, so I KNOW he didnt say it.

And they are like, the best live band ever, and Dave is the best frontman I have ever seen, his prompting is all part of it. Just my opinion but I wouldnt change a thing about Dave.
Old April 29th 2011, 09:25 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Hmm, I thought I had said as much that I hadn't gone to see them yet, but I guess I cleared it while editing the post. I'm new so it really is more of a question (the degree of prompting he uses now.) By large, I am loving what I have sampled live. It just stood out on Wembley to me more. It has me seeking out other shows from the tour that give a better sample of what a show was at an average sized venue to compare.

At any rate, my feelings on this particular topic are not due to ignorance. I may not have actually seen them yet, but I've seen plenty of shows and I've never been a fan of interrupting your own song/lyrics to do it. I believe in letting the music do the talking.

Last edited by BleedingPurist : April 29th 2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old April 29th 2011, 12:29 PM
Have you found your way around

Sounds like you're thinking too far into things if you ask me man. Since when was saying the name of the song before it starts playing interupting anyway? He says it BEFORE. I just see it as helping the ultra-casuals know what he's playing, and gets everyone else pumped up for the song by him screaming the name of it, everyone loves that scream when they're in the crowd.

But yeah, just go and see them dude. Seeing them > watching a DVD, will make you care less about the little things and enjoy the big things more, i'd never dream of getting irritated by something so small, just seems stupid.
Old April 29th 2011, 12:57 PM
I'll Stick Around

Everyone introduces a song during their shows.

Never heard bands say, "this song's called..........."

!!??
Old April 29th 2011, 01:11 PM
Visiting is pretty...

If I'm being entirely honest, I've had the same exact thought cross my mind a few times. Having seen the Foo's live back in 1995, all the way up through recent years, I can say that Dave has begun to use this technique of engaging with the crowd a little too much in my opinion.

Back in the mid to later 90's he basically never did it. 1999 and into the early 2000's it began showing up. From 2005 on it has become a bit overbearing a times.

He also tends to skip singing lines to a chorus and instead chooses to just scream for a moment or two. Sometimes I wish he'd just sing the line.

Not saying any of this makes them a poor live band. There is still no other hard rock band I'd rather see live, just that he might be better off just toning it down a bit.
Old April 29th 2011, 01:29 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruiserBear View Post
If I'm being entirely honest, I've had the same exact thought cross my mind a few times. Having seen the Foo's live back in 1995, all the way up through recent years, I can say that Dave has begun to use this technique of engaging with the crowd a little too much in my opinion.

Back in the mid to later 90's he basically never did it. 1999 and into the early 2000's it began showing up. From 2005 on it has become a bit overbearing a times.

He also tends to skip singing lines to a chorus and instead chooses to just scream for a moment or two. Sometimes I wish he'd just sing the line.

Not saying any of this makes them a poor live band. There is still no other hard rock band I'd rather see live, just that he might be better off just toning it down a bit.

Ban!

Old April 29th 2011, 01:35 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callimnate View Post

Everyone introduces a song during their shows.

Never heard bands say, "this song's called..........."

!!??
Fuck, Oasis used to do it for every goddamn song in their set....kinda takes the surprise out of it, except they never really had any surprises in their sets
Old April 29th 2011, 02:46 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Sounds like you're thinking too far into things if you ask me man.
+1
Old April 29th 2011, 04:44 PM

You guys are just jelly.

FRESH POTS!!!
Old April 29th 2011, 04:47 PM
A star burned out

it's Dave's style. deal with it.

your username does suit you quite well from what I've seen you writting around here.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old April 29th 2011, 04:58 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:

THANK YOU for understanding exactly what I'm talkin about and giving a knowledgable answer involving analysis of how his style has changed over the years. Of course, it has nothing to do with making or breaking them as a great live band.
Old April 29th 2011, 05:04 PM
A star burned out

Quote:

yeah, that's a real problem.

*yawn*
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old April 29th 2011, 05:07 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
it's Dave's style. deal with it.

your username does suit you quite well from what I've seen you writting around here.
Now now there there.
Old April 29th 2011, 05:18 PM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubzy View Post
You guys are just jelly.
You sound like my 15 year old.

Y'all need to relax and just watch the show.

When he did the whole new record at all of the LA shows they just played and didn't say the new song titles or any of the old titles.

I don't recall him announcing the songs much at all in the 29839283 times I have seen them play.

Follow my dog on Instagram: jackthekeeshond
Old April 29th 2011, 05:21 PM

I have seen them a ton of times live and I have never thought twice about him announcing a song before they play it. I agree with what someone else said, he isn't just playing for the old timer fans like me...there will be people there that don't know all the songs. Its not like he does it ALL the time or on every song. In my humble opinion, he has perfected the front man gig.

Got some pics on my FB of the Foo and Dead Peasants:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1183758839
Old April 29th 2011, 05:32 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Sounds like you're thinking too far into things if you ask me man. Since when was saying the name of the song before it starts playing interupting anyway? He says it BEFORE. I just see it as helping the ultra-casuals know what he's playing, and gets everyone else pumped up for the song by him screaming the name of it, everyone loves that scream when they're in the crowd.

But yeah, just go and see them dude. Seeing them > watching a DVD, will make you care less about the little things and enjoy the big things more, i'd never dream of getting irritated by something so small, just seems stupid.
As a general response to others who have replied similarly rather than directing it at you..... Getting defensive and dismissive indicates you are missing the point. I want to hear from people who have been paying attention and analyzing, not "Fuck you man, Foos rock man!" That's preaching to the choir.

It's discussion, which this board should be for, and it's not a fact I pulled out of my ass. It came up from noticing older shows where he didn't do it and really liking the FOCUS Dave had on the songs. If you know exactly what I'm talking about, and you probably are a veteran concert goer who has been in tune with multiple bands and their live developement if you do, then those are the ones I am looking to engage. If your instinct is to strike a karate kid pose.... it's going to get silly.
Old April 29th 2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingPurist View Post
As a general response to others who have replied similarly rather than directing it at you..... Getting defensive and dismissive indicates you are missing the point. I want to hear from people who have been paying attention and analyzing, not "Fuck you man, Foos rock man!" That's preaching to the choir.

It's discussion, which this board should be for, and it's not a fact I pulled out of my ass. It came up from noticing older shows where he didn't do it and really liking the FOCUS Dave had on the songs. If you know exactly what I'm talking about, and you probably are a veteran concert goer who has been in tune with multiple bands and their live developement if you do, then those are the ones I am looking to engage. If your instinct is to strike a karate kid pose.... it's going to get silly.
HIIIIII-YAAAA!!!! *karate kick*

Got some pics on my FB of the Foo and Dead Peasants:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1183758839
Old April 29th 2011, 05:39 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
You sound like my 15 year old.

Y'all need to relax and just watch the show.

When he did the whole new record at all of the LA shows they just played and didn't say the new song titles or any of the old titles.

I don't recall him announcing the songs much at all in the 29839283 times I have seen them play.

I think setting will influence his mode. The small gigs he does tend to focus. Again, it's not so much announcing the songs as it is the constant "Here we go!" and "Come on now!" 's. I used Times Like These as one example from where they segue directly into it from another song as opposed to where it's played stand-alone. I was reference Wembley mostly because it was the latest official DVD of an official tour. I had already noticed he doesn't do it in the recent string of shows.

It really does come down to how difficult will it be to find live performances of any song where he doesn't "ruin" it with the interruptions.