Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 23rd 2013, 06:52 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Late! Pocketwatch

I just want to see this re-released.

A buddy of mine was lucky enough to have Dave respond to his AMA question about it, and Grohl simply stated "ask Jenny Toomey". She ran the label Simple Machines that put it out.

Well, we should probably ask her. It was only released on cassette, we would all love to know if there are any masters still available etc.

I love this release. It's a landmark recording that exemplifies all that I love in music. Just want to hear it in better quality. Or maybe the mystique is part of the allure.

Anyways, I'm just a drunkard who needs to express their joy for this album.

Cheers.
Old June 23rd 2013, 11:17 AM
The Sidekick

Default Re: Late! Pocketwatch

I suspect that was just an easy get out answer.

Jenny asked Dave back in the day if she could release it on CD and he said no. They kept releasing it on cassette until their 'master' was totally worn out and it was discontinued.

Simple Machines are defunct now so I'm afraid any release will have to come from Dave and if that was his answer it would suggest he doesn't really have an interest re-releasing it.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old June 26th 2013, 01:52 AM
Have you found your way around

I would kind of like to see (if possible) a remastered version of the album with a box set.

Dave has never really expressed any interest in a re-release of it, I think him revisiting Friend of a Friend was nostalgic enough for him and that's probably the best we'll get.

However, I wouldn't necessarily discount the release as a set. Dave probably doesn't see much merit in a standalone release, but packaged with various FF rarities from throughout the years, I think it would compliment something like that nicely.
Old June 26th 2013, 02:11 AM
Cause everyone's just too weird

Sounds like the version of Skeeter from King Buzzo is pretty good quality. And Petrol CB was released on vinyl.
Old June 26th 2013, 11:07 AM
The Sidekick

Yep he obviously gave Buzz a master copy of Skeeter..., the Vinyl is the same as the tape pretty much though since it was pressed from the same source of course.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old June 27th 2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Yep he obviously gave Buzz a master copy of Skeeter..., the Vinyl is the same as the tape pretty much though since it was pressed from the same source of course.
Yeah, that's right, I forgot. But I would imagine the vinyl may be a bit clearer since it was pressed before the tape had degraded. Still tape quality, though, but probably the best quality version we could hope to hear.
Old June 27th 2013, 08:52 PM
I'll Stick Around

I don't think this was recorded with high fidelity in mind..lol.. I can only see Dave maybe including a song or two from it in a FF box set of some kind, and it may not even be a Pocketwatch version. I think by now it is just a collectable for those that have it. The master is worn out and unusable and it's obvious Dave has no interest in re-releasing it in any form. I think it is us fans that make such a big stink about it. I don't think Dave cares too much to do anything with it. All in all it's good stuff, and an interesting listen, but not great.
Old June 28th 2013, 11:48 AM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid View Post
I don't think this was recorded with high fidelity in mind..lol.. I can only see Dave maybe including a song or two from it in a FF box set of some kind, and it may not even be a Pocketwatch version. I think by now it is just a collectable for those that have it. The master is worn out and unusable and it's obvious Dave has no interest in re-releasing it in any form. I think it is us fans that make such a big stink about it. I don't think Dave cares too much to do anything with it. All in all it's good stuff, and an interesting listen, but not great.
The actual master reels are (as far as I know) fine. It's the "master" Simple Machines had which was worn out but that was in fact a second generation cassette.

--
Old July 4th 2013, 05:37 PM
I'll Stick Around

oh, cool. I did not know that! I've heard nothing but third generation (at best) versions with low low fi sound. From what I know about diy equipment back then, it still may have a lo-fi sound just from what it was recorded on. But it is cool there is a somewhat clean master out there.
Old July 4th 2013, 07:40 PM
The Sidekick

Yep, as far as we know the "Master" Simple Machines had was 2nd generation making the tapes they sold third generation. The actual master reels are 1/2 inch tape.

--
Old July 5th 2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid View Post
oh, cool. I did not know that! I've heard nothing but third generation (at best) versions with low low fi sound. From what I know about diy equipment back then, it still may have a lo-fi sound just from what it was recorded on. But it is cool there is a somewhat clean master out there.
Half of the album was recorded at Barrett Jones' 8-track studio, the Laundry Room, and half was recorded at WGNS Studio in D.C., the same studio where TCATS's "Walking After You" was recorded at.

To get a good idea of what a CD quality version of Pocketwatch would be like, find a copy of the Harlingtox A.D. album, a project Dave did with Barrett Jones and some others around the same time Pocketwatch was recorded (it may even predate all the Pocketwatch tracks). It was recorded at the Laundry Room and the first track features Dave on all the instruments.

Last edited by OldFooFan : July 5th 2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old July 5th 2013, 11:56 AM
The Sidekick

WGNS was actually in Arlington at this time. It moved a lot, started in MD, then a couple of locations in D.C, then Arlington, then back to another location in DC.

The best example of the true quality of PW is the King Buzzo CD, obviously made from the master tape.

--
Old September 17th 2013, 10:58 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFooFan View Post
Half of the album was recorded at Barrett Jones' 8-track studio, the Laundry Room, and half was recorded at WGNS Studio in D.C., the same studio where TCATS's "Walking After You" was recorded at.

To get a good idea of what a CD quality version of Pocketwatch would be like, find a copy of the Harlingtox A.D. album, a project Dave did with Barrett Jones and some others around the same time Pocketwatch was recorded (it may even predate all the Pocketwatch tracks). It was recorded at the Laundry Room and the first track features Dave on all the instruments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOeTjHMt_k
Old September 18th 2013, 08:50 AM

Wow - this is the first I've heard of the "Harlingtox A.D" thing! That's amazing thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old September 18th 2013, 02:51 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

I'm sure some of you are aware of this but somewhere online there's a torrent of the Pocketwatch songs that someone remixed to at least sound a little better. A lot of it is actually pretty decent sounding although it's not 100% true to the original recordings. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
  • July 25, 2008 Cleveland, OH
  • May 04, 2018 Nashville, TN
Old September 18th 2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevthedrummer View Post
Wow - this is the first I've heard of the "Harlingtox A.D" thing! That's amazing thank you!
And that particular song is Dave on all the instruments. (Incidentally, he plays guitar on track three and bass on the three others, while Barret Jones plays drums).

Last edited by OldFooFan : September 18th 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old September 25th 2013, 11:59 AM

Looks like we're going to get a full version of Marigold according to this from Laundry Room Studio on Facebook:

Quote:
Proud to have recorded/mixed 3 songs on the "In Utero" reissue out today! "Frances Farmer" demo, "Marigold' original, and "Forgotten Tune". Check out this interview with Dave and Krist on NPR. they play "forgotten tune" at the end.

http://n.pr/1akb0wD
Now we just need the rest!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old September 25th 2013, 02:19 PM
The Sidekick

We have, it's already out. Quality is obviously very good, straight from the master reel, but for some reason they've put a huge dollop of reverb on the new mix. Not my cup of tea. Stereo separation is much better though and the 'bastard....' at the start doesn't fade out like it does on the tape.

--

Last edited by Simon : September 25th 2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old September 25th 2013, 02:50 PM

Oops haha - hadn't realised the album came out - I don't know what day it is! It's on my list to buy but skint at the moment. Spotify will do it for now

edit: wow they have put a lot of reverb on it! Still, great to finally hear in good quality!

Old October 2nd 2013, 04:48 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Whoa. Alright. So Dave/Barrett have the master tapes. His reddit answer was a calculated mislead. Which I don't really understand, since Simple Machines wanted to put the album out again but wasn't supplied with anything, let alone master tapes. Also, he did not have to answer the question so why mislead??

Just listened to the Marigold demo and now I NEED to hear the rest. Throwing Needles first gen 1/2 tape? Oh hell yes. An FF box set will most likely be the only way the whole thing will see the light of day. Who knows when they'll plan on dropping that gold nugget of amazing, if ever.

Either way, at least we have the tape. And Foo. Praise be Grohl.