Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 19th 2017, 11:55 AM
Visiting is pretty...

Default Re: June 2018 - Manchester and London, UK (Please read FAQs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_patch View Post
It is odd that artists seem to almost avoid Wales.
Living in Bristol it would be quicker and easier for me to see bands in Cardiff if they skip us but I always seem to end up in London (sometimes out of choice but that's on me!)

Cardiff is lucky enough to at least have the Principality to host gigs like this but it's a shame the Foos aren't playing there... yet!

Other than outdoor areas like The Downs, Bristol's biggest venue is the Colston Hall (2000 capacity?) so I'll have a wait on my hands for them to play here! We've been waiting for around 10 years for an arena to be built here but it keeps getting shelved.
Hi Dave

Yes we are lucky in Cardiff to have the stadium especially as it's got the retractable roof and also right in the city centre (which can also be its downfall too as regards to public transport ie. the lack of a decent train service later on at night).

Like yourself, I too will travel to mainly London and stay over but also have many times travelled to Bristol and Manchester to see a band/artist but in an ideal world sometimes it would be nice to just go down the road (the M4) to a gig.
Old October 19th 2017, 11:58 AM
The Sidekick

I obviously don't know the actual reasons but at a guess at least for US artists they just look at the comparatively small distance between places on our little island, which are obviously nothing compared to some of the distances you have to travel in the US.

I mean don't get me wrong, of course Cardiff to London is still not going to be cheap, especially if you have to factor in accommodation. but it is 'only' 150 odd miles, meanwhile they played in Knoxville, TN last night. Even in the same state, if you are in Memphis, TN that is 400 odd miles. If you're in the next state or further, well, a lot more.

So that is perhaps how some bands/promoters look at it. Maybe not.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old October 19th 2017, 12:05 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I obviously don't know the actual reasons but at a guess at least for US artists they just look at the comparatively small distance between places on our little island, which are obviously nothing compared to some of the distances you have to travel in the US.

I mean don't get me wrong, of course Cardiff to London is still not going to be cheap, especially if you have to factor in accommodation. but it is 'only' 150 odd miles, meanwhile they played in Knoxville, TN last night. Even in the same state, if you are in Memphis, TN that is 400 odd miles. If you're in the next state or further, well, a lot more.

Hi Simon

I guess to look at it pragmatically, we in the UK (a small island in comparative terms to other countries) are generally lucky as we a wide variety of artists attracting both small and large crowds. And the choices we make to travel to see the artists are relatively small (sometimes not in cost though).
Old October 19th 2017, 12:15 PM
Right down the drain I go…

Quote:
It is odd that artists seem to almost avoid Wales.
Living in Bristol it would be quicker and easier for me to see bands in Cardiff if they skip us but I always seem to end up in London (sometimes out of choice but that's on me!)

Cardiff is lucky enough to at least have the Principality to host gigs like this but it's a shame the Foos aren't playing there... yet!

Other than outdoor areas like The Downs, Bristol's biggest venue is the Colston Hall (2000 capacity?) so I'll have a wait on my hands for them to play here! We've been waiting for around 10 years for an arena to be built here but it keeps getting shelved.
Ashton Vale could've been the venue - tbf Ashton Gate could do one if the Atyeo got upgraded
Old October 19th 2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post

I think it is, what they forget is two different cultures see traveling that far differently. I also would've thought (but don't know) that a state is less densely populated than say England, so maybe that's why they're more spread out over there, but means it doesn't apply in the U.K.
Old October 19th 2017, 12:24 PM
The Sidekick

I think if Ed Sheeran is playing the stadium until June 24th there is a good chance FF could play the 26th/27th. Because that would mean they could keep the plastic flooring, the barriers and all that stuff in place, maybe even some of the stage base. It'd be surely far easier logistics wise, to have two artists concerts close together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson_Foo View Post
I think it is, what they forget is two different cultures see traveling that far differently. I also would've thought (but don't know) that a state is less densely populated than say England, so maybe that's why they're more spread out over there, but means it doesn't apply in the U.K.
Indeed. I mean I could be completely wrong, just a thought.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old October 19th 2017, 12:44 PM
Everything fades in time it's true...

Quote:
Ashton Vale could've been the venue - tbf Ashton Gate could do one if the Atyeo got upgraded
Fingers crossed! As a City fan this would be great!
All back to mine after the gig too!
The O2 Arena 18-1-07
Wembley Stadium 6 & 7-8-08
Milton Keynes Bowl 3-7-11
Reading Festival 26-8-12
AccorHotels Arena 3-7-17
The O2 Arena 19-9-17
The Royal Albert Hall 21-9-17
Etihad Stadium 19-6-18
London Stadium 22 & 23-6-18
Pula Arena 18 & 19-6-19
Bellahouston Park 17-8-19
Vital Festival 19-8-19
RDS Arena 21-8-19
Leeds Festival 23-8-19
Reading Festival 25-8-19

Dave's Foo Flickr
Old October 19th 2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Fingers crossed! As a City fan this would be great!
All back to mine after the gig too!
As a fellow city fan, I'll hold you to that
Old October 19th 2017, 03:06 PM
Looking for a dime and found a quarter

Probably a bit early for this, what are people thoughts about Liam Gallagher supporting?

with just having released an album with a tour to follow next month, any chances he could be a main support for the UK shows. Be great for him to play at Etihad, with being a City boy!

Last time I was at Etihad was 2008 when the Manic Street Preachers supported FF for that show n I thought it was a great choice being fan on MSP too, but the support bands in 2015 didnt really appeal to me n ended up skipping them
Old October 19th 2017, 03:13 PM
Have you found your way around

For those staying in and around Stratford (not the Westfield side), there is a way that you can get there without joining the queue to the station (plus you could arguably get a cab half way on the walk if you really wanted to).

There is a smallish pedestrian bridge (circled on picture), that once you cross if you turn right and go under the bridge (illuminated generally), follow that road fully up to Stratford high street. From there turn left towards the station/hotels as required (may be hotels other ways).

https://i.imgur.com/4YKRyh4.png

I will re-post this closer to the time just to point out that the main queue to the station isn't the be all and end all to get anywhere.
2014: House of Vans (11th September), Islington Assembly Hall (12th September), Invictus Games (14th September)
Wembley Stadium, 20th June 2015
o2 Arena, 19th September 2017
London Stadium, 22nd & 23rd June 2018
2019: Pula Arena (18th & 19th June), RDS Arena Dublin (21st August), Reading Festival (25th August)
Future: ... No One Knows
Old October 19th 2017, 03:14 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza_Ho View Post
Probably a bit early for this, what are people thoughts about Liam Gallagher supporting?

with just having released an album with a tour to follow next month, any chances he could be a main support for the UK shows. Be great for him to play at Etihad, with being a City boy!

Last time I was at Etihad was 2008 when the Manic Street Preachers supported FF for that show n I thought it was a great choice being fan on MSP too, but the support bands in 2015 didnt really appeal to me n ended up skipping them
I'd like to see Wolf Alice support. They also played CalJam.
Old October 19th 2017, 03:31 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipslim View Post
I'd like to see Wolf Alice support. They also played CalJam.
I second Wolf Alice. They're great! Seen them quite a few time, each one in larger and larger venues. Ally Pally next month!

GlasVegas, Aug 19 : PULA x 2 June 19 : London x 2 June 18 : James Corden, June 18 : Download Paris, June 18 : O2, Sept 17 : Lollapalloza Berlin, Sept 17 : NOS Alive, July 17 : Glastonbury 17 : Paris, Nov, 20 15 : Berlin, Nov, 2015 : Milton Keynes x2 Sept, 15 : Glastonbury 2015 : Wembley, 20th June 15 : Invictus Closing Concert, London, Sep 14 : Milton Keynes, July 11 : Wembley, June 08 : Reading, 98 : Glastonbury June, 98 : Ozzfest, June , 98 : Shepherds Bush, 97
Old October 19th 2017, 03:38 PM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks12 View Post
I second Wolf Alice. They're great! Seen them quite a few time, each one in larger and larger venues. Ally Pally next month!
I third Wolf Alice they are amazing!
Birmingham NEC / Isle of Wight Festival / MK Bowl / Leeds Festival / House of Vans / Olympic Park / Manchester LCCC / MK Bowl / Krakow / Cheese and Grain / Glastonbury Festival / Paris / NOS Alive / O2 Arena / Antwerp / Manchester Etihad / Olympic Stadium / Olympic Stadium
/ Pula Arena / Pula Arena / Dublin Arena / Leeds Festival / Reading Festival

Old October 19th 2017, 03:44 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lharris92 View Post
For those staying in and around Stratford (not the Westfield side), there is a way that you can get there without joining the queue to the station (plus you could arguably get a cab half way on the walk if you really wanted to).

There is a smallish pedestrian bridge (circled on picture), that once you cross if you turn right and go under the bridge (illuminated generally), follow that road fully up to Stratford high street. From there turn left towards the station/hotels as required (may be hotels other ways).

https://i.imgur.com/4YKRyh4.png

I will re-post this closer to the time just to point out that the main queue to the station isn't the be all and end all to get anywhere.
Oh many thanks for the hint
Old October 19th 2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol View Post
Oh many thanks for the hint
No problem. It comes with having visited the Stadium a fair bit over the last year
2014: House of Vans (11th September), Islington Assembly Hall (12th September), Invictus Games (14th September)
Wembley Stadium, 20th June 2015
o2 Arena, 19th September 2017
London Stadium, 22nd & 23rd June 2018
2019: Pula Arena (18th & 19th June), RDS Arena Dublin (21st August), Reading Festival (25th August)
Future: ... No One Knows
Old October 19th 2017, 04:13 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becks12 View Post
They're playing the Jazz Café in Camden tonight. I was supposed to be away with work but it got cancelled on Tuesday after the tickets sold out (boooo).

Am seeing them for the first time at Banquet Records, Kingston in November though :-)
Old October 19th 2017, 06:48 PM
Visiting is pretty...

I'd be buzzing if they announced a Welsh date. So chuffed to get standing tickets for London but seeing the Foos in Wales would be something else. Seems so rare that stadium gigs are done here! Ed Sheeran aside of course haha
Old October 19th 2017, 07:23 PM
Everything fades in time it's true...

Quote:
As a fellow city fan, I'll hold you to that
Done mate, as long as pre-drinks are at yours.

Also just given Wolf Alice a listen on Amazon after all the fuss above.
They do have a good sound, I can imagine they’d be even better live.
The O2 Arena 18-1-07
Wembley Stadium 6 & 7-8-08
Milton Keynes Bowl 3-7-11
Reading Festival 26-8-12
AccorHotels Arena 3-7-17
The O2 Arena 19-9-17
The Royal Albert Hall 21-9-17
Etihad Stadium 19-6-18
London Stadium 22 & 23-6-18
Pula Arena 18 & 19-6-19
Bellahouston Park 17-8-19
Vital Festival 19-8-19
RDS Arena 21-8-19
Leeds Festival 23-8-19
Reading Festival 25-8-19

Dave's Foo Flickr
Old October 19th 2017, 07:24 PM
Raider of Lost Arks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinewelly View Post
the phonics have played there twice - Bon Jovi also played there and Rod Stewart - there may be others

there is also the liberty stadium in swansea where loads of bands have played ie the who, take that, manic street preachers, elton john, kings of leon
I've been to a few of those at Swansea. It's actually quite nice having a big gig just down the road! They need to work on their organisation at getting people out of the stadium though.

Old October 19th 2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Done mate, as long as pre-drinks are at yours.

Also just given Wolf Alice a listen on Amazon after all the fuss above.
They do have a good sound, I can imagine they’d be even better live.
Like Wolf Alice too. Weezer are supporting on some dates I notice - Australia and New Zealand.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/foo-fi...r-2018-2135274

Last edited by scottish_foo : October 19th 2017 at 07:40 PM.