Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 18th 2015, 07:06 PM
Never knowing who to believe

Default Re: lonely as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soares View Post
Actually, if they leak, I still would want to hear the MDD versions of Tired, The One, Walkin' a Line and Normal.

I think that may be some slight mastering/mixing changes in those versions.
The MDD leaks seem to be a one speaker partial mix, if that makes sense. I didn't go with the word "mono" with the MDDs because it seems like listening to surround with a dead speaker.

I'm guessing the real final mastered versions of the MDDs of the ones you want to hear were already out there. All you'd be getting would be a shitty mix you could easily duplicate yourself.

Old July 18th 2015, 08:19 PM
I'll Stick Around

I think we'll never hear more than what's out there. My dream is a complete remix of the final album. The mix/mastering is terrible and dave grohl said he was unhappy with this record. James Brown did a fantastic job (best mix since TCATS and ESPG imo so they should ask him to rework it.
I'm fine with getting the MDD someday though i don't believe in the tooth fairy anymore
Old July 18th 2015, 09:21 PM
The Sidekick

As far as I can remember Percy said the released songs were exactly the same on his 'MDD collection' as they were released, ie same mix and master. The MDD songs and clips certainly don't have that final level of polish (and loudness) but also a lot of what you're missing is due to the compression, they're all lossy with no high end, nothing above 16khz.

One can only assume at some point they had the 11 songs, decided which were going to be used and had the further polish applied, the rest were left as is and someone, somewhere, mixed them together.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old July 18th 2015, 10:35 PM
Between the handshake and the f***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
As far as I can remember Percy said the released songs were exactly the same on his 'MDD collection' as they were released, ie same mix and master.
I doubt it. Everybody knows that 1x1 had the 'loudness war' problem. Probably Tired was mastered differently of the MDD original version to fit the overall album volume and feel.
Old July 18th 2015, 11:43 PM
The Sidekick

The MDD tracks are also loudness war mastered, just not quite as harshly. To me the MDD tracks just lack that final mastering polish and suffer from bad compression.

--
Can't post? Can't sign in? Email me if you have a technical issue related to the board.
Old July 21st 2015, 10:15 AM
Have you found your way around

Wow I've never heard some of those parts of Lonely As You, I love it! I'm so bored of hoping they release them, or somebody breaks the 'traders code of honour'. After SH we really deserve something good!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Leeds Festival 05 -- MEN Arena 05 -- Hyde Park 06 -- Metro Arena 07 -- Eastlands stadium 08 -
Old July 21st 2015, 12:28 PM
my tits are also out for Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellheaven View Post
is it me or this outro is something new?

still hope i'll hear the million dollar demo before 2030...
Can't believe I missed this at the time. It was new in that we hadn't heard that outro before and the vocals (screaming) is different. That guitar part is actually quite prominent in the album version of the song though. It's in the chorus (under the Oh oh oh oh's) and it's also used in the outro on the album version as well. The difference is that Dave is screaming "One more time for the last time..." instead.
Old July 22nd 2015, 08:23 AM

While I definitely can see why they didnt want this released on a record as its clearly unfinished melody / arrangement-wise but still, it would be really cool to hear all this stuff..
Old July 23rd 2015, 07:08 PM
Fresh Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soares View Post
I doubt it. Everybody knows that 1x1 had the 'loudness war' problem. Probably Tired was mastered differently of the MDD original version to fit the overall album volume and feel.
A few years ago i found something very rare. It's the MDD version of the first verse of "Tired of You".

I suggest you to listen to it with headphones.

The MDDs in general are very well mixed. It's just that they're not mastered.
Still waiting PERCY (or someone else)

enjoy https://mega.co.nz/#!KwADnJwZ!kVHnsJ...Ky1jKryl BhvU
Old July 23rd 2015, 11:23 PM
Between the handshake and the f***

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer69 View Post
A few years ago i found something very rare. It's the MDD version of the first verse of "Tired of You".

enjoy https://mega.co.nz/#!KwADnJwZ!kVHnsJ...Ky1jKryl BhvU
Thanks! If my memory is correct, this is the original leaked clip. At that time, the song was named only "Tired". Do you have the other clips, like The One, Normal and Walking a Line?

I'm curious with the MDD song lengths. Simon, do you have this info?
Old July 23rd 2015, 11:30 PM
The Sidekick

That is the original leaked clip, yeah. I guess it quickly got lost over the years since it wasn't a different recording like the others.

The runtimes of the tracks are

All My Life - 4:33
Come Back - 4:57
Halo - 4:56
Have It All - 5:40
Burn Away - 4:34
Lonely As You - 5:11
Overdrive - 4:31

--
Old July 24th 2015, 02:55 AM
water it,water it,water it down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
That is the original leaked clip, yeah. I guess it quickly got lost over the years since it wasn't a different recording like the others.

The runtimes of the tracks are

All My Life - 4:33
Come Back - 4:57
Halo - 4:56
Have It All - 5:40
Burn Away - 4:34
Lonely As You - 5:11
Overdrive - 4:31
so there is 3 minuets of lonely as you that we haven't gotten.

my question is, why the snip-its?
I will post a fucking ban and petition on you asshole the fucking grim bag of fucking music, the worst god damm music and fucking shit music industry of all TIME DUE TO PEOPLE LIKE Taylor Fucking Illuminati wanna-be Swift, you and everyone like even Jeff Bridges is a fucking SELL OUT YOU ASSHOLE FUCK YOU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
What a fuckin' tardnasium.
Old July 24th 2015, 10:33 AM
I'll Stick Around

i think the one i'd like to hear most are Halo and All My Life.
I Wonder why two full songs were leaked and not the rest...
Old July 24th 2015, 01:35 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellheaven View Post
i think the one i'd like to hear most are Halo and All My Life.
I Wonder why two full songs were leaked and not the rest...
It's all in the big old thread but basically the leaker (not Percy) sent those two and promised to send the rest if they weren't leaked. The rest were never sent, and so those two were leaked. Any clips Percy then leaked were unrelated to the two full songs.

--
Old August 4th 2015, 11:27 PM
I'll Stick Around

Holy shit

Edit: Crazy that they're finally all out.

But it's immediately clear why Dave wanted nobody to hear this. It's an embarrassingly weak recording of what would have been the band's weakest songs at that point.

The Good: All My Life and Have it All. They've always been great songs and actually sound much better here than on One By One.

The Bad: Burn Away and Overdrive. They're easily the worst part of One By One, and though I think Burn Away actually benefits from being a bit faster tempo and thus less of a drag, their mediocrity really shines on these stripped down, weak arrangements.

The Interesting: Come Back and Lonely As You, for obvious reasons.
Dave's vocal performance on Come Back is really good and the lyrics are a lot more heart on sleeve pissed sounding than the final version of the song which are just vague (though nice).
Lonely As You is just strange to hear. This version is incredibly amateur sounding and about on par with Burn Away (that is to say, it's terrible). The "is anyone out there" thing is embarrassing. It's crazy how much better the final version of the song is.

Halo's arrangement is almost exactly the same and there's not much to say about it. I don't hate it but don't love it.

Overall it sounds like a really mediocre garage band's demo and I don't blame the band for shelving it and taking a break. But it's interesting to hear.

Last edited by rogerrichards : August 5th 2015 at 12:57 AM.
Old August 5th 2015, 01:54 AM

Just listening now. You wouldn't think it'd be possible for Burn Away to be any worse but you'd be wrong.

Really like the verses of Lonely As You but I can see how it doesn't really work because the verses and chorus all end up sounding the same tempo and distortion wise.
Old August 5th 2015, 02:17 AM

Done listening now. I think these versions of Have It All and Overdrive are actually better than the album versions but other than that it's quite obvious why this was redone.
Old August 5th 2015, 03:55 AM

A very interesting listen, to say the least... and I basically agree more or less with everyone's said here so far. Aside from the previous leaks of Have It All and Come Back, I probably dig the alternate take on All My Life the most so far. Really glad to hear the full 'demo' version of Lonely as You too, although the album version is superior in the end (as are the others, for the most part).

My current iTunes playlist for "One by One... Naked", haha.

All My Life (Demo)
Walking a Line
Have It All (Demo)
Normal
The One (in absence of 'Knucklehead')
Tired of You
Halo (Demo)
Lonely as You (Demo)
Overdrive (Demo)
Burn Away (Demo)
Come Back (Demo)
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Old August 5th 2015, 07:13 AM

HOLY SHIT

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I thought Id never hear these, so glad theyre finally out. Just listening, a very, very interesting listen to say the least!

I still doubt these are the final mixes though, these sound way too raw and dry to be the to-be-album mixes. Which makes these an even more interesting listen!

EDIT :

IMO :
AML is better than the final OBO version

I still love Burn Away, this version is WAY better than what ended up on OBO

This version of Halo - the band track is great but the vocals sound weird - like he doesnt like what hes singing..

I LOVE this version of Lonely as You. That Nate bass line at the end of the choruses. I miss those nuggets. Not sure about the guitar solo though..

The second best version of Overdrive. The best being GBMB, of course.

So fucking stoked to hear these, finally.

Last edited by Simon : August 5th 2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old August 5th 2015, 08:20 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
I still doubt these are the final mixes though, these sound way too raw and dry to be the to-be-album mixes.
This is the question, isn't it? These sound way too amateur to be the follow up to There Is Nothing Left To Lose. Were they actually planned to be so?