Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 28th 2018, 10:50 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

F#@K Post Your "I Broke My Leg At A Foo Fighters Concert" Stories Here!

Auckland Mt Smart 3rd February 2018

Wait two years (as you do) for the guys to come back

Sort your shit out to fly to another city, motels... yadda yadda

Walk to the gig coz you're an organised fucker - 2km... peace of cake.

Oh that's a FUNNY SIGN as I'm wandering on the way...

Make it to the outside of the gig just after 12pm - about 30 people braving the odd rain shower at Gate 1
Gate 1-01
Gate 1-02
Gate 1-03
Old February 28th 2018, 10:53 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Default Re: Post Your "I Broke My Leg At A Foo Fighters Concert" Stories Here!

2pm they let us through Gate 1 to the 2nd hold gate. I've already confirmed with security that the inside merch tent directly opposite will be open. Im first there.
NZ Merch 01
NZ Merch 02
NZ Merch 03
NZ Merch 04
NZ Merch 05
NZ Merch 06
NZ Merch 07
Old February 28th 2018, 10:55 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Grabbed my loot and rejoined the clan at Gate 2 for another hour or so's wait. The sun has come out and it's looking like all the bad weather might no actually come at all.

Few people are freaking out about the utterly stupid bag size rules but security are actually doing a great job about warning everyone EXACTLY what's going to happen.

Passing out glasses of water as well - probably the most organised I've ever seen security at a gig.
Gate 2-01
Gate 2-02
Gate 2-03
Gate 2-04
Old February 28th 2018, 10:59 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Just after 3pm we get released to ticket & bag check, wristbands on and Security's pointless shouting "you still have one gate to go so there's no need to run"... mental dash to gate 3 LOL

Very close to the front. Once again at Mt Smart they hold us at the top of the stairs - it's insane, they know it's insane, they try this time and solve it by literally walking us down the stairs 5 stairs at a time and stopping everyone - which must have seemed a great idea at the time and kinda works and kinda makes it worse. Because at the end of the final five or so step lot - the entire stairway is packed solid with people waiting for the final race all the way left from the bottom of the stair drop here in these photos to the stage. It's now an even worse utter cluster fuck of people...
Gate 3-01
Gate 3-02
Gate 3-03
Old February 28th 2018, 11:02 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Look at that - pics at the front! Third row or second actually in the end - could grab the rail so I would have been at the front for sure by gig end...

Only the pictures don't tell the tale of what happened on the run to get here. Tripped from behind by someone in that mad mass off people changing their mind about direction - running flat out.

Went down SO fast that I didn't even get the palm of my hand down - I know this because the big hand graze I DID end up with was on the knuckles of my right hand lol. Right leg from the knee down bore the brunt of the horrible white rubber lego blocks that surface the artificial shit they use on the main GA floor. And the rain that had fallen no doubt added to the slide.

And STILL I'm up and racing to the best Foo stadium gig position I've ever had. Not bad for 49.
Mosh Front 01
Mosh Front 02
Mosh Front 03
Mosh Front 04
Mosh Front 05
Mosh Front 06
Mosh Front 07
Mosh Front 08
Old February 28th 2018, 11:03 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

It's about 20 minutes into the roughly seven hour mosh stand - and about this point things are starting to not feel too great.

I decide to take a quick 360 Mosh video of where I am because I kinda know when I look down again I'm gonna go Well FUCK!!!
Old February 28th 2018, 11:09 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Just as I'm consoling myself and wondering just how big this fucking new grapefruit knee ornament will get...

This recognisable dude strolls out and flicks three or four picks out into the crowd. I tried to capture a picture of him but the camera was still in video mode from the 360, and worse the video became blurry as fuck because I ended up having to use one hand to actually try and catch one of the picks
The Yeti 01
The Yeti 02

I wasn't as good a one handed one legged acrobat as I thought, because I palmed it, thought I'd knocked it down into the ground, and was hurriedly looking for it, when the guy in front's girl friend grabs me and says no you knocked it into the downturned hat of boyfriend's raincoat... she fishes it out and he insists that I touched it first so it's mine - true old school gig etiquette - and I'm forever thankful to you.

Later back at home...
The Pick 01
The Pick 02
Old February 28th 2018, 11:11 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

So in the normal course of events this would be turning out to be a fucking awesome day. Even though the weather had now decided it was going to turn to utter shit. Pissing rain would not have stopped me...

Sadly something else WAS. I looked down and realised any amount of good luck was not going to help me stay stood at the mosh rail for another 6 hours. I hated it but I had to look at all the shocked faces as I made my way out while I actually still could...

Destination.. well yeah...just fucking awesome
OhJoy 01
OhJoy 02
Old February 28th 2018, 11:15 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Fairly intense conversation ensued - with the head medic pretty set for me to go for xrays, and me pretty set to find someone that would give me somewhere I could sit for the rest of the gig.

In the end I was armed with ice packs, put into a golf cart by security, and driven up the windy side road through a dozen gates all the way to the back of the south stand.

Maybe the most hilarious part of it all is that I snagged a seat pretty much directly in front of the stage in the third row from the absolute back - pretty much the EXACT opposite position to where I had been 40 minutes earlier CRY

It certainly wasn't what I was expecting at the start of the day! Having people walk around you asking "Dude - WTF happened?", while you have your leg in the air rocking out with your ice packs, and one of Dave's picks in your pocket - well it's just a fucking bizarre experience.
Foo01
Foo02
Foo03
Old February 28th 2018, 11:17 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

The aftermath...

Somehow I made it back through plains trains and automobiles and got home the next day. Sunday 4th Feb at home it didnt look great but didnt look all that terribly bad either. But you can tell in the comparison with the left leg I'm prob not dancing...
Leg01

Monday 5th it's X-Rays (they can't see any major break but can't guarantee absolutely no other issues due to all the swelling). Knee ligaments are certainly fucked. Looking at 6 weeks or so and Physio at the minimum...

It's now also hurting like hell to put any weight on. Doctor confines me to vertical rest (BED!) for a week.

Last edited by FooZealand : February 28th 2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old February 28th 2018, 11:21 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Monday 12th the swelling has started to go down in the direct impact areas and external stuff is healing. But the knee is utter agony - just getting to the doctors is an absolute mission. Another week off says the doctor and stuffs me full of tramadol.

The pictures are now a lot more pretty as all the bruises are now apparent to go with the beautiful knee. Tell me exactly how you fall on ALL sides of one leg at once? It looks like I've been basked by four blokes all holding four by twos... seriously WTF lol
Leg02
Leg03
Leg04
Leg05
Leg06
Leg07
Old February 28th 2018, 11:25 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

By Monday 19th things had settled down enough to give work a try - managed two days and needed a day off. All done wandering around in a leg brace

Several sessions of physio later and because I still have pain outside the knee joint and the swelling has gone down enough they could finally check and confirm I have a hairline spiral fracture of the top of the right fibula.

It doesn't mean anything much different to what I'm doing - still another 3 to 4 weeks and I should have roughly all my leg movement back, but apparently it still counts as a leg break.

Not exactly in Dave's league for sure - but all in all it's still one hell of a gig story.
Old March 1st 2018, 05:50 AM
Fooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
By Monday 19th things had settled down enough to give work a try - managed two days and needed a day off. All done wandering around in a leg brace

Several sessions of physio later and because I still have pain outside the knee joint and the swelling has gone down enough they could finally check and confirm I have a hairline spiral fracture of the top of the right fibula.

It doesn't mean anything much different to what I'm doing - still another 3 to 4 weeks and I should have roughly all my leg movement back, but apparently it still counts as a leg break.

Not exactly in Dave's league for sure - but all in all it's still one hell of a gig story.
You need to make your own shirt with an x-ray on!
O2 Arena,London,2017
Nos Alive Festival,Lisbon,2017
Accor Arena,Paris,France,2017
Cheese & Grain,Frome,2017
Krakow Tauron Arena,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Milton Keynes National Bowl,2015
Lancashire CCC Ground,2015
Invictus Closing Concert,2014
Sound City Players, London,2013
Leeds Fest,2012
Milton Keynes,2011
Wembley Stadium,2008
Manchester City Stadium,2008
Old March 1st 2018, 07:30 AM
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
I would totally buy it

Anyway that is one hell of a story to tell, thanks for sharing! Hopefully you will recover quickly.
Old March 1st 2018, 06:14 PM
Easy For YOU To Say

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilshack View Post
The worst part to that is they did the last set of xrays just as a follow up with my physio visit last week. A doctor later looked at them and advised the physio who advised me at this weeks visit. So it wasn't all immediate while I was there like the first ones 2 days after I did it and I did ask and Physio said hes not sure if I can get a copy, or if my GP can maybe request one. So still looking into that lol
Old March 1st 2018, 06:46 PM
Have you found your way around

All things considered, I enjoyed reading that. Thanks for sharing and glad you saw the gig in the end anyway! Get better soon...
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
Old March 2nd 2018, 03:59 AM
Da doo doo doo, da dah dah dah

Old March 2nd 2018, 09:50 AM
Oooh oh ooooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooZealand View Post
Monday 12th the swelling has started to go down in the direct impact areas and external stuff is healing. But the knee is utter agony - just getting to the doctors is an absolute mission. Another week off says the doctor and stuffs me full of tramadol.

The pictures are now a lot more pretty as all the bruises are now apparent to go with the beautiful knee. Tell me exactly how you fall on ALL sides of one leg at once?
Seriously, how..?!! Get well soon
Old March 2nd 2018, 02:34 PM
I'll Stick Around

Bad luck mike
Old March 13th 2018, 03:21 PM
Visiting is pretty...

Sorry, late to the party here - but jeesh what a tale. It does explain why you didn't comment at the time on the show. I thought you were utterly disgusted but were restraining yourself from actually putting it into words on the site . Hope it's improving.