Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > Tour Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 12th 2017, 03:01 PM
The finder of things...

Default Re: Anyone in Des Moines? Sounds like it was quite the show

Cancelling a show is a nightmare for everyone involved. The insurance tangles alone. I'm sure he's having flashbacks to what happened after Sweden.
Old November 12th 2017, 06:05 PM
Have you found your way around

Singing and screaming for 3 hours while having a throat infection is the dumbest thing an arena status act can do.

I mean, Adele and John Mayer for example had to have years of recovery due to too much strain on their vocal cords.
Old November 12th 2017, 10:02 PM
Times Like These

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLibrarian View Post
Cancelling a show is a nightmare for everyone involved. The insurance tangles alone. I'm sure he's having flashbacks to what happened after Sweden.
But all he had to do was postpone it, not cancel it. Just like the 3 for Oct. I wouldn't have been happy attending that show because he sounded so terrible!
05/01/2018 Rupp Arena, Lexington KY
07/26/2018 Noblesville Indiana

09/20/2019- Bourbon & Beyond Louisville KY
Old November 13th 2017, 12:54 AM

I just have to say how proud I am of Des Moines and Central Iowa for still enjoying the heck out of what could truly have been one of the worst FF shows I've ever seen. The crowd was so into it, that really made the show go forward. I could feel the crowd willing him to keep going, and everyone was singing at the top of their lungs to try to help him out. He'd hit a real clunker, and the fans would just cheer, like "it's ok - we're just so happy you're here!". The curtain wasn't even up and I could tell immediately that there was something way wrong with his voice. I really thought, based on how the first 2-3 songs went, that they were going to have to call the show.

His voice did improve as the night went on, but no where near back to what normal Dave sounds like. To me he also seemed like maybe he was a little sick; he didn't seem to have the same energy I'm used to seeing with him. I'm hoping that's the case, and once he's better he'll also sound a lot better.

Old November 13th 2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
Outing myself as the annoying person to this taper's left who is screaming and shouting WAY too much I was so excited they finally played my hometown!
Old November 13th 2017, 03:50 AM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchEnemies View Post
Couldn't agree more. Don't be a hero Dave, it's not worth it.

They're probably even more reluctant than usual to cancel, given the 3 shows they already had to postpone
That and playing venues/cities they apparently had NEVER played at before, I'm sure he felt the need for the show to go on. I road tripped to the Sioux Falls show last night and it was awesome, just now checked out the videos from Des Moines and yeah that was rough. I'm really quite amazed our show last night happened at all.
10-2-05: Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul MN
8-25-06: Auditorium Theater, Chicago, IL (Acoustic)
2-27-08: Target Center, Minneapolis MN
9-14-11: Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul MN
7-18-15: Fenway Park, Boston MA
7-19-15: Fenway Park, Boston MA
8-22-15: Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul MN
11-11-17: Denny Sanford Center, Sioux Falls SD
Old November 13th 2017, 01:31 PM
I'll Stick Around

Reading this thread makes me a little concerned. I can understand Dave wanting to carry on with the shows - I just hope it doesn't affect him adversely in the long run.

I believe they have another three shows, before they have a couple of weeks off. Hopefully they will all be able to recuperate fully during that time.
Old November 13th 2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadasfan View Post
That and playing venues/cities they apparently had NEVER played at before, I'm sure he felt the need for the show to go on. I road tripped to the Sioux Falls show last night and it was awesome, just now checked out the videos from Des Moines and yeah that was rough. I'm really quite amazed our show last night happened at all.
Yeah, I went to both Des Moines and Sioux Falls and was ready to head back home earlier just in case they did cancel the next night. Like people said here though, I didn't think they would want to do that anyway considering the shows already postponed, but I wouldn't have blamed them either.

In any case, it did shock me that Dave sounded as good as he did after the prior night. Perhaps moving Run and All My life later into the set were some of the things that he felt might help in the long run, among others? Either way, it was gutsy of him to go forward the way he did each time (and like others said, as long as there's no long-term risk or damage). And kudos to the band and fans for encouraging him on when he needed the boost.
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Old November 13th 2017, 02:10 PM
I'll Stick Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
I just have to say how proud I am of Des Moines and Central Iowa for still enjoying the heck out of what could truly have been one of the worst FF shows I've ever seen. The crowd was so into it, that really made the show go forward. I could feel the crowd willing him to keep going, and everyone was singing at the top of their lungs to try to help him out. He'd hit a real clunker, and the fans would just cheer, like "it's ok - we're just so happy you're here!".
That's really nice to hear, and from what I've read the audience does seem to have loved the Des Moines show

I guess it's one of those things, on paper it should be disastrous, but depending on the band/crowd connection it can also turn into something pretty special.

Still anxious about long-term damage to his voice though, their break can't come soon enough.
Old November 13th 2017, 04:01 PM
Button up, don't make a sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
In any case, it did shock me that Dave sounded as good as he did after the prior night. Perhaps moving Run and All My life later into the set were some of the things that he felt might help in the long run, among others? Either way, it was gutsy of him to go forward the way he did each time (and like others said, as long as there's no long-term risk or damage). And kudos to the band and fans for encouraging him on when he needed the boost.
Very interesting on how the set list was rearranged. When is the last time they did Everlong first?! If you count the band intro mash up songs, they did 5 covers last night. Wow. To four Concrete and Gold songs. Sounds like they got strategic lately to save his voice with the Shifty song becoming a regular. I would hope they'd do some easier on the voice like Concrete and Gold would seem to be. They should debut Happy Ever After (Zero Hour). But it's probably a double edged sword. The softer, more delicate songs would make the rough voice stand out more.
7/26/2018 - Ruoff Music Center - Noblesville, IN (Indy)
Old November 13th 2017, 09:28 PM
Visiting is pretty...

We are going to the Tulsa show on Wednesday and while I am excited about seeing them, I just as soon he take care of his voice. One of the few bands that gives it all to their fans and in turn I would like to believe most of us very much care about these guys outside of music and not wanting any of them to risk long term issues over missing some shows to get healed up.
Old November 13th 2017, 10:41 PM
I'll Stick Around

I've always wondered how he's able to scream so heartily every night - and that's when he's not sick. That video was rough.

Reminded me back in 2005 ish (tour with Against Me!, whenever that was) in freezing-ass 30 degree Reno, NV when Dave came outside to meet the 10 fans that were waiting hoping for autographs. Handler said "Dave, you're sick, you shouldn't go out there right now!" and he said "Yeah, I know," before meeting & greeting us.
Old November 14th 2017, 01:27 AM
Da doo doo doo, da dah dah dah

Yeah, his voice was rough...like when you sing along with the radio and you can't really stay in tune. It wasn't quite as apparent in the screamier songs but I cringed so much when he screamed because it HAD to have hurt like hell. Taylor was so embarrassed that Dave thanked him for singing along...so adorable! Despite all that, it really was a great show! And The Struts is one of the few opening acts of of theirs that I actually really liked!
Old November 14th 2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo84 View Post
I've always wondered how he's able to scream so heartily every night - and that's when he's not sick. That video was rough.

Reminded me back in 2005 ish (tour with Against Me!, whenever that was) in freezing-ass 30 degree Reno, NV when Dave came outside to meet the 10 fans that were waiting hoping for autographs. Handler said "Dave, you're sick, you shouldn't go out there right now!" and he said "Yeah, I know," before meeting & greeting us.
Was it the Sunderland show in 2005 that was recorded and Dave talked about being sick as heck, but still pressing on? That's the first time I can remember him moving forward while being sick. Then he postponed a gig or two in early 2008 due to being sick, which is why the Lexington(?) show then got cut down a few songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsotime2 View Post
and thanks for the great video, we must meet one of these shows!
Oh, for sure! Keep me posted on which ones you go to and I'll do the same!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amastel View Post
Yeah, his voice was rough...like when you sing along with the radio and you can't really stay in tune. It wasn't quite as apparent in the screamier songs but I cringed so much when he screamed because it HAD to have hurt like hell. Taylor was so embarrassed that Dave thanked him for singing along...so adorable! Despite all that, it really was a great show! And The Struts is one of the few opening acts of of theirs that I actually really liked!
Agreed all around. I was very impressed with The Struts myself. My sister who was at the Madison show really dug them too and ended up buying the songs they played the day after!
2011: St. Paul
2015: St. Paul, Chicago (Wrigley), Anaheim (9/19)
2017: Chicago (Metro), Madison, Des Moines, Sioux Falls
2018: Milwaukee, St. Paul
Old November 16th 2017, 05:50 PM
Don't let it go to waste

I went to the Sioux Falls show. My gf and I noticed a vocal problem immediately, and we hadn't heard about the Des Moines show at that point. I didn't think he'd make it through the show after struggling with Everlong. It felt like they were testing his voice with that opening song. It also felt like they paced the show with extended instrumentals, quiet/loud arrangements, song order, etc. to give Dave a little chance to recover between songs. Dave struggled with a specific range, which is typical of vocalists battling a bug. Part of me lauded Dave's work ethic and determination to go through with the show (they'd never played Sioux Falls before) and part of me wished he'd postponed. I'm quite certain most of the attendees would have gone to a later scheduled show. Either way, glad to see the show and definitely looking forward to VEGAS, BABY!
Old November 27th 2017, 05:37 PM
Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo3001 View Post
Oh bless

I can't even finish watching it.

* I can't help but notice...you poo a lot. *