Go Back   Foo Fighters Postboard > Foo Fighters Discussion > General Foo Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 7th 2017, 08:18 PM
How Do You Do

Default Re: Will Goldsmith's new band, Brawly Banks

Will Goldsmith exclusive interview with Daily Mail. he's not happy.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old July 8th 2017, 08:27 AM
I'd rather leave than suffer this

"creatively raped"? WTF!
Old July 8th 2017, 08:42 AM
Grave Rohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.B.gene View Post
What a man baby.
Old July 8th 2017, 03:10 PM
A star burned out

Default Goldsmith about his departure from the foos

Not sure if this is appropriate or not, feel free to close the thread if that's the case.

Just thought it was an interesting read if you get past the tabloid crap throughout the thing and the click bait title, it's pretty much what William said in the documentary but elaborating a bit further on it.

There's some bitterness left there but he grew past it for the most part which the article didn't give much space to. I can't really say much about the day to day dealings at the time but I got the feeling that Dave was more insecure than abusive (or that insecurity led to some unintentional abuse, rather), he wanted the record to sound a certain way and was afraid to deal with William on that matter given how much work he had already put into it. They were all very young so you can sort of expect things like this to happen.

Anyway, give it a look http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ohl-bully.html
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old July 8th 2017, 04:09 PM
How Do You Do

Default Re: Goldsmith about his departure from the foos

briefly discussed here : http://forum.foofighters.com/showthread.php?p=4158727 (I didn't think it warranted a new thread. sorry )

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old July 8th 2017, 04:12 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
briefly discussed here : http://forum.foofighters.com/showthread.php?p=4158727 (I didn't think it warranted a new thread. sorry )
Well it isn't anything to do with "Will Goldsmith's new band, Brawly Banks", is it? *spanks bum*

Click here to reserve your username from this board for use there
Old July 8th 2017, 04:18 PM
How Do You Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Well it isn't anything to do with "Will Goldsmith's new band, Brawly Banks", is it? *spanks bum*
It was one of the only William Goldsmith threads I could find. But you're quite right.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old July 8th 2017, 04:25 PM
The Sidekick

Quote:
It was one of the only William Goldsmith threads I could find. But you're quite right.
Well I mean, it's not like we're going to run out of threads, they're not on ration. If it is a new discussion topic, new thread.

Click here to reserve your username from this board for use there
Old July 8th 2017, 04:44 PM
How Do You Do

Quote:
Well I mean, it's not like we're going to run out of threads, they're not on ration. If it is a new discussion topic, new thread.
To be honest, I just didn't want to make another thread. Currently, most of the decent threads right now in General Foo, with the most views/replies, are by O.B.gene. I'm embarrassed.

Admin @FooFightersUK
Old July 8th 2017, 08:17 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo. View Post
What a man baby.
he's not entirely wrong, things might be a little exaggerated by himself and especially the Daily Mail but he's right to be unhappy about how things were handled, he did a ton of work that was scrapped without him knowing and Dave himself admitted to wishing things were dealt with differently.

I think it's an insteresting read more as a further glimpse into how things happened then, just need to get past the tabloid sensationalism approach to it.
• Jan 14 2001 - Rio de Janeiro | Jun 24 2006 - Osasco/SP (Jackson United) | Jun 26 2006 - São Paulo (Jackson United) | Apr 7 2012 - São Paulo| Jan 23 2015 - São Paulo | Feb 27 2018 - São Paulo | Feb 28 2018 - São Paulo •
Old July 8th 2017, 08:20 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
yeah, I wanted to know people's opinions on this, it's a delicate situation and there's a ton of bitterness left which may lead people to bash on him but I think he's not entirely wrong and Dave seems to agree with it.

I'm sad that his relationship with Nate took a hit from that also.
Old July 8th 2017, 09:26 PM
Have you found your way around

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNESS View Post
yeah, I wanted to know people's opinions on this
I always take articles like this with a grain of salt. He was probably doing press for his new project, then he gets asked about the Foo Fighters and so he talks about them for two minutes, and that ends up going online.

It's surprising that Dave never called him anymore, especially after their documentary Back and Forth where he spoke so honest and emotionally on how it affected him. It would have been a lot more classy if Dave reached out to him.

I can imagine him being right about that Nirvana comment. Dave knows how it is to be in a band with little or no input creatively speaking, so now when he has a band of his own he makes sure he calls the shots. But I understand that, in a band democracy doesn't work most of the time. The other guys in the Foo Fighters seem to be ok with that and go along for the ride, he probably wouldn't want to be in that kind of band. I understand that, too. Neither would I.
Old July 8th 2017, 10:09 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
Originally Posted by paid mourner View Post
I always take articles like this with a grain of salt. He was probably doing press for his new project, then he gets asked about the Foo Fighters and so he talks about them for two minutes, and that ends up going online.
Well, it's the Daily Mail so you take everything with a grain of salt.

Quote:
It's surprising that Dave never called him anymore, especially after their documentary Back and Forth where he spoke so honest and emotionally on how it affected him. It would have been a lot more classy if Dave reached out to him.
That bothers me too but I tend to think it's just Dave's hyper personality, he means well in his mind but his actions are already at the third and fourth steps and stuff gets buried, he's so busy with 3000 things at the same time that he just won't make a call, send an email. Not saying that's ok, it can be a problem and paint you in a negative way but also means people are more complicated than someone being outright evil by deliberately ignoring someone, laughing about it or some cartoony shit like that. He might put his family at the highest top of priorities which by comparison puts William at a very low bottom not meaning there's some evil agenda behind it. Same thing about Buzz Osborne, he was bitching about Dave not texting him back so when Dave called him for something he chose the childish route of payback and dismissed it, if Dave felt that much superiority he would just go on and keep ignoring.

Quote:
I can imagine him being right about that Nirvana comment. Dave knows how it is to be in a band with little or no input creatively speaking, so now when he has a band of his own he makes sure he calls the shots. But I understand that, in a band democracy doesn't work most of the time. The other guys in the Foo Fighters seem to be ok with that and go along for the ride, he probably wouldn't want to be in that kind of band. I understand that, too. Neither would I.
There was always a hierarchy but they didn't know it until it almost broke up the band, I think it was Nate who said that from the moment everyone officially accepted that it's Dave's band things got a lot smoother and they're now able to go on beyond 20 years strong just putting out a ninth record. It wasn't this clear back then, not even Dave was sure hence his choice of just silently redoing everything, he was already the boss but wasn't comfortable with it yet.
Old July 8th 2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Well, it's the Daily Mail so you take everything with a grain of salt.
Also, I didn't realize the other thread was from seven years ago, I didn't look at the date. I thought this was a new band he was doing press for, it's kinda weird the other poster posted this link in a seven year old thread that has nothing to do with it. But alrighty then.

But yeah, I guess Dave is sorta a passive aggressive guy who doesn't seem to talk about 'difficult' issues easily. Same thing with Franz, who had to find out he was out of the band through a phone call. That's really weird.

I think that in a way it must have been clear that it was Dave's band since the beginning, because Franz wanted to contribute songwriting wise too, but that didn't really fly with Dave either. I definitely think that bands often clash because of egos and struggles like that, but if you have only one, or maybe two people who are in control, then you can go for the long ride. There aren't too many bands where every bandmember is equal, that make it to their 9th album, that's for sure. Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam come to mind, and I'm sure there are others, but not too many.

Last edited by paid mourner : July 8th 2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old July 8th 2017, 10:44 PM
A star burned out

Quote:
But yeah, I guess Dave is sorta a passive aggressive guy who doesn't seem to talk about 'difficult' issues easily. Same thing with Franz, who had to find out he was out of the band through a phone call. That's really weird.

I think that in a way it must have been clear that it was Dave's band since the beginning, because Franz wanted to contribute songwriting wise too, but that didn't really fly with Dave either.
the bully thing is what I think it's the most unfair way of seeing it, a bully takes pleasure on someone's misfortune caused by them, he clearly doesn't.

it's his band since day one but instead of making it clear he chose to leave it to interpretation. he takes pride in the "everyman" approach to things which being the boss and cutting someone out goes against somewhat, he likes the simplicity but people aren't simple and if you're like that forever feelings will get hurt. nowadays he does seem to remain a down to earth cool guy but it's also easier to see him taking charge and being more aggressive, it's part of growing up and his band depended on it, took some casualties along the way but eventually he got there.
Old July 9th 2017, 03:48 AM
Ready on your mark

Quote:
Everything in the Daily Mail article is gacked word-for-word from a podcast William did last year...so as far as I can tell, he hasn't done any new press besides these photos. My big question is why it's coming up again now. Whose idea was it - the Daily Fail or Will's? And for what purpose? (Edit: The answer's in the article - money.)
Philadelphia, 2016 (Chevy Metal)
Sydney, 2017 (Chevy Metal)
Adelaide / Brisbane / Sydney, 2018

FooFightersLive.com

Last edited by matineeidyll : July 9th 2017 at 04:44 AM.
Old July 9th 2017, 06:14 AM
There's something out there...

Will Goldsmith: *Talks at length about Dave Grohl being a jerk and how awful a time he had in the Foo Fighters*
Daily Mail: So did you see the Foo Fighters performance at Glastonbury? Pretty awesome, right!?

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
Everything in the Daily Mail article is gacked word-for-word from a podcast William did last year...so as far as I can tell, he hasn't done any new press besides these photos. My big question is why it's coming up again now. Whose idea was it - the Daily Fail or Will's? And for what purpose? (Edit: The answer's in the article - money.)
Dunno, It was fairly word-for-word from Back and Forth, too. Plus the aforementioned ill-advised Glastonbury question, so some bits might be new, which might be why it came out now.

I've thought this before, but watching Back and Forth, and from other interviews with Dave and various band-members, I get the distinct impression one of Dave's main flaws as a leader is that he wants to avoid conflict at all costs. There was what happened with Will, but there was also apparently some unpleasantness between Dave and Chris when Pat first came back. (that seems to have been detailed in the early version of Back and Forth that the press saw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Magazine, May 2011

Chris, no one mentioned to you Pat was coming back?

CS: No. And that was a big part of what made that difficult for me... because I didn't know him. But when Pat walked in the room, we immediately hit it off. But it was tense between Dave and me for a long time - really for a long time.
(from FooArchive)

My read of that was that he wasn't mad that Dave asked Pat back, more that Dave just did it without giving him a heads up first. I think that's the same type of thing that happened with Will, He wanted to avoid a potentially difficult conversation, so he just did what he was going to do anyway and hoped it would work out (and in one case it did). I actually think it comes from being a natural people pleaser. That doesn't mean it wasn't a shitty thing to do though, I just don't think it comes from a place of malice, like Will seems to think - almost the opposite. Of course, the outcome is still the same, and it was a really crappy one for Will.

Though, with that said, while sympathize with Will, he still seems to have quite the chip on his shoulder about it, which I get to an extent... but it was also 20 years ago now.
Old July 9th 2017, 10:01 AM
the user formerly known as mexicanFOO

I always had/have the feeling that Dave didn't address this issue in a more open way because he is not proud of it. He looked sincere in the docu, and it sounded like he sincerely wanted to keep Will in the band, but it was a shitty deal for Will (being a tour drummer).

Clearly Will is a very sensitive artist, and like it was mentioned, he was drumming for "the best drummer". That must have sucked for him.

From what I have seen in some videos and the I'm OK bootleg, Will hit drummed hard enough, maybe even harder than Taylor? But I know NOTHING about music/instumental shit.

Also, they were clear on the docu that Gil was an absolute perfectionist/(bully?), must've been extra-draining for Will, and (sensationalist theory ahead) maybe Gil even tipped Dave into looking for alternatives.

I liked Will a lot, he seemed really chill, low-key, and they seemed to have good chemistry from the few photos and videos from the era. But, Dave needed a bro.
Old July 9th 2017, 11:14 AM
Grave Rohl

Quote:
he's not entirely wrong, things might be a little exaggerated by himself and especially the Daily Mail but he's right to be unhappy about how things were handled, he did a ton of work that was scrapped without him knowing and Dave himself admitted to wishing things were dealt with differently.

I think it's an insteresting read more as a further glimpse into how things happened then, just need to get past the tabloid sensationalism approach to it.
I understand that, and I do have some sympathy for him...but its been 20 years. Maybe choose a more reputable publication over a tabloid rag if its so important to re-air it.
Old July 9th 2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matineeidyll View Post
Yeah, but like I said, I thought he was doing press for his new band, but it's not a new band, someone posted this link in a 7 year old thread and I didn't realize that.

And what I mean is that often someone does a whole interview and they talk about a certain subject for maybe one minute because they are asked about it, and that becomes the whole article and all the headlines. Not saying that is the case here, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKid815 View Post
I actually think it comes from being a natural people pleaser.
There can be so many reasons for that... maybe that is just how he's wired. No one is perfect. If you're a people pleaser you don't tell your bandmate and friend through the phone that he's out of the band. Maybe he took that with him from his Nirvana experience. From what we know they barely communicated about serious issues, especially in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
I always had/have the feeling that Dave didn't address this issue in a more open way because he is not proud of it. He looked sincere in the docu, and it sounded like he sincerely wanted to keep Will in the band,
I'm sure he was sincere and felt shitty about it, that makes it even more weird that he never even reached out to him anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
he was drumming for "the best drummer".
Nah, Dave's great but not the best from his generation.

Last edited by paid mourner : July 9th 2017 at 01:51 PM.